OFFICIAL TARIK BLACK THREAD (Reported to sign with Rockets)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yall listen to GT's pod? Apparently Tarik was #1 in the league on switching onto smalls

With what kind of results exactly? Black will always be the perfect back up C, especially behind the heavy footed Zu or Moz.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
yall listen to GT's pod? Apparently Tarik was #1 in the league on switching onto smalls

With what kind of results exactly? Black will always be the perfect back up C, especially behind the heavy footed Zu or Moz.

Well, we were 7 points per 100 possessions better with him on the court than off of it on defense, so I'll go ahead and guess that the results were pretty good.

And yes, he's a backup C. It's impressive for a backup center to have those kinds of numbers.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:

Well, we were 7 points per 100 possessions better with him on the court than off of it on defense, so I'll go ahead and guess that the results were pretty good.

And yes, he's a backup C. It's impressive for a backup center to have those kinds of numbers.

Listening now, Zu was in the 32nd percentile which isnt as bad as I would have thought.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

6th best in the entire league on defense going by PPP for the entire year, #1 post all star break
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

^ Yeah the Zu stats surprised me. 32nd percentile isn't bad. If he gets in better shape and stuff could he get to 50th percentile?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
^ Yeah the Zu stats surprised me. 32nd percentile isn't bad. If he gets in better shape and stuff could he get to 50th percentile?

I really don't understanding people kind of writing him off on defense as 19 year old already. Look at how much he improved throughout the season and now imagine how much better he will come back after a year of experience+a full summer of improving his game and body.

Will be interesting to see who is the odd man out between Zu/Moz/Black
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

^ Well the stats contradict my eye test (weird to be on that side of it ) which is partly why I'd written him off in terms of next season being a plus contributor. I expect improvement given a summer, but in my head he was at such a deficit that even a reasonably large improvement would still have him a negative overall.

I'm not 100% how good Synergy is -- it seems to work in practice but you can imagine tons of ways that it's flawed -- but if it's truly the case that Zu is already 34th percentile as a rookie, then I'll have to change my tune.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Tarik should have been the starting center on the team from day one (sorta hindsight; never would have signed Moz). Sadly, he'll probably be the odd man out to start the season again until Moz proves that he can't play once more.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Tarik should have been the starting center on the team from day one (sorta hindsight; never would have signed Moz). Sadly, he'll probably be the odd man out to start the season again until Moz proves that he can't play once more.
Tarik was terrible as the starting center. He's fine in his role. Mozgov is fine in his role as the starter. He's serviceable.

The problem is contract length. If Mozgov were signed for 2 years, we'd be able to let Zu start in his 3rd year and let Tarik stay as the backup C. Granted we didn't know that Zu would be this good when we signed Moz but it doesn't take a genius to know that the contract was way too long.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
^ Well the stats contradict my eye test (weird to be on that side of it ) which is partly why I'd written him off in terms of next season being a plus contributor. I expect improvement given a summer, but in my head he was at such a deficit that even a reasonably large improvement would still have him a negative overall.

I'm not 100% how good Synergy is -- it seems to work in practice but you can imagine tons of ways that it's flawed -- but if it's truly the case that Zu is already 34th percentile as a rookie, then I'll have to change my tune.

We should probably move this over to the Zu thread, or maybe a completely new thread discussing the C long jam, but here are some more #'s that puts Zu defense in a better light

"My audio for when I was saying this got screwed up so it didn't make the pod, but opponents shot 12/60 (20%) from 3 this year vs Zubac"

https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/854199855975206913
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:

--Anonymous
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:

We should probably move this over to the Zu thread, or maybe a completely new thread discussing the C long jam, but here are some more #'s that puts Zu defense in a better light

"My audio for when I was saying this got screwed up so it didn't make the pod, but opponents shot 12/60 (20%) from 3 this year vs Zubac"

https://twitter.com/t1m_nba/status/854199855975206913
Yup I imagine this is one of the things that made his overall defensive Synergy score higher than we expect. Curious if it's just a variance type thing on small numbers or if there's something Zu does well in particular.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject:

2017 Player Capsule: Tarik Black

Quote:
Season Summary:
After largely falling out of the rotation last season, Tarik Black regained his rhythm, saying that new head coach Luke Walton brought back the confidence that he had lost a year ago.
Black averaged 5.7 points and 5.1 rebounds in 16.3 minutes, while playing in the starting rotation for about three weeks.
Black was always active when he would hit the floor, averaging a double-double per 36 minutes (12.6 points, 11.3 rebounds).

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170424-player-capsule-tarik-black
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject:

Brief Video of Tarik Black's wedding ceremony
Quote:
Black, a Ridgeway High School product who played three years at the University of Memphis before transferring to Kansas, is coming off his most successful NBA season to date after averaging 5.7 points and 5.1 rebounds per game for the Lakers. Raye is a model and student in Los Angeles, and she is also known for being a good friend of music superstar Taylor Swift.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/government/city/2017/04/18/video-nbas-tarik-black-marries-memphis-city-hall/100606392/
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Waive Tarik Black

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/170701black-waive
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Hope he can continue his career in the nba!
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Good dude, played hard, and a solid pro.

Hope someone pays up for him.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Tarik fits the Magic mold of high character, but they seem to be putting a premium on shooting at the big man position. Didn't see him getting a ton of minutes with Nance, Randle, Zu, Brook, and our two newest draft picks (throw Deng in there as well). Wish Tarik all the best, he's always played hard and had his teammates' backs. Sure this wasn't easy for Luke given their history back to the Memphis days.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Really good dude. He's going to do well in life.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

No room. Lakers did him a solid here.

At 5... Lopez, Zubac and Bryant
At 4... Randle, Nance and Kuzma

They let him find a team as quickly as possible for himself. This is good karma.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Lakers have $6M more to spend with this move.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Best of luck TB!

Great young man and a good team mate.
He always gave 100% at everything he did (on & off the court).
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Tarik might get picked up by a contender and be a valuable energy guy off the bench.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Such a good guy. Will be rooting for him wherever he goes. EXCEPT if it happens to be boston
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 64 of 66
Jump to: