OFFICIAL TARIK BLACK THREAD (Reported to sign with Rockets)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

We better keep Black. He's going to be a very good rotational player at the front court as well as Larry Nance.

Ryan Kelly and Brandon Bass was our frontcourt of doom but Nance and Black will be the frontcourt of BOOM!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
Legacy wrote:
I had to bump this thread. With all the speculation and trade scenarios bouncing around since the lottery, I feel like Tarik Black has been overlooked a tad. I'm not delusional, I realize he's slightly unproven with the way BS used him this last regular season. But I'm excited to see him play for Luke. A lot of people in this thread feel the same way, so I wanted to have the conversation continue, post draft lottery.

I think (rather hope) the need for a quality center to fit in the system isn't as desperate as I'm reading in most of these threads now. What do you guys think?

We do need a starting caliber C. But I feel Black will be an excellent backup C for us. Hustle, rebounding, decent D, crowd and team energizing jams, setting good picks, etc..

That being said, anyone know for sure he is a RFA so we get first crack if we want him back?
TB is indeed a RFA
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Keep TB! He is going to thrive in the Luke system. Remember THE BLOCK in the Kobe 60 game?

We need more players like him. He is quick, mobile, has hops and focuses on defense. He will be deadly on the pick and role with DLO. And on top of all that, he won't break the bank.

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject:

That's the block that sparked the run that won us the game

It's symbolic. It's the rookies showing Kobe, hey don't worry, we'll do our best to hold down the fort after you're gone!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

It's symbolic. It's the rookies showing Kobe, hey don't worry, we'll do our best to hold down the fort after you're gone!

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Lol the lead went up to 10 after that Nance oop pulled it to 5 so I wouldn't really say it sparked the run.

Hell of a block though
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

Everyone mentions DLO, but Black was put in the worst of Byron Scott's doghouses. I look forward to the Lakers matching whatever RFA offer he signs and seeing him thrive in Luke's offense.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Tarik Black: Bench Warmer or Contributor?

Quote:
lack has only averaged 5 points and 5.1 rebounds per game—not exactly eye popping numbers. However, his impact is seen outside the box score. Scott’s harsh attitude towards Black may have occurred because of things that happened behind the scenes, but I believe Scott may have been overlooking a good player (shockingly) that should have a future in the Lakers rotation under Luke Walton.

http://jkavo.sportsblog.com/posts/17827409/tarik-black--bench-warmer-or-contributor-.html
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Tarik Black: Bench Warmer or Contributor?

Quote:
lack has only averaged 5 points and 5.1 rebounds per game—not exactly eye popping numbers. However, his impact is seen outside the box score. Scott’s harsh attitude towards Black may have occurred because of things that happened behind the scenes, but I believe Scott may have been overlooking a good player (shockingly) that should have a future in the Lakers rotation under Luke Walton.

http://jkavo.sportsblog.com/posts/17827409/tarik-black--bench-warmer-or-contributor-.html

So, what happened behind those scenes?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Byron loved Sacre more than Black cause Black is a pick and roll big.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Byron loved Sacre more than Black cause Black is a pick and roll big.
BINGO!
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
His enthusiasm bubbles out nearly everywhere. Lakers forward Tarik Black endlessly hustles for every loose ball and rebound. He intently listens to his coaches and teammates on how to improve. Black graciously thanks any reporter who wants to interview him.

All of those qualities convinced the Lakers to retain Black on a non-guaranteed contract this season after picking up the undrafted forward last season off the waiver wire. But Lakers coach Byron Scott believes Black needs to replace that friendly exterior with something darker.

“The biggest thing I told him last year was he’s too nice. He has to get some type of mean streak in him,” Scott said. “Then he can be a monster.”

Scott ranked Kobe Bryant and himself as the meanest members on the Lakers. So how does Black join the club?

“That’s a good question,” Scott said. “Some guys can’t change. Some guys are just who they are. I have to find that out.”

And Black wants to find out more what Scott wants.

“He hasn’t broken it down what it means to be meaner, so I’m not sure,” Black said.
“But at the same time, he’s my coach, man. He’s the captain of the ship. So if he has thoughts about how we should grow, get better and play in his system, I’ll abide by it. We’ve talked about it, but we need to keep talking about it. As I find out more of what he wants out of me, I’ll have to mold to that.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151022/la-lakers-byron-scott-wants-tarik-black-to-develop-a-mean-streak

^^Ever since I read this, it's always been my conviction throughout the season that this, or something related to it, was the real reason why Byron kept Tarik in the doghouse all season. It centered around Byron's extremely misguided perceptions of basketball and manhood, but mainly, manhood. It was personal. In his mind, Tarik was too nice a guy to play on a Byron Scott team.

The way you know it was personal is because this "he's too nice" criticism wasn't something Byron could validate on the court. In what way(s) could it be argued that Tarik's "nice" personality hurt him as a player? Simply put, it can't. There's nothing "nice" about his game. The guy plays with nonstop energy every second he's out there. Scott's issues with him weren't truly about basketball. In his mind, Tarik was just soft.

It's truly a travesty that a coach could be so full of himself and so incredibly misguided that he'd allow personal issues with a player to impact his own coaching decisions, as if assigning minutes to a player or burying him on the bench will only impact the player, rather than the overall success of the team. But hey, that's Mr. for you.

However, Tarik is pretty much a lock to return next season as a rotation player under coach Walton.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject:

I'll never hate Byron, he was such a very good player on a couple of championship runs, but he is such an idiot.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
I'll never hate Byron, he was such a very good player on a couple of championship runs, but he is such an idiot.

That pretty much sums it up 😂
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Quote:
His enthusiasm bubbles out nearly everywhere. Lakers forward Tarik Black endlessly hustles for every loose ball and rebound. He intently listens to his coaches and teammates on how to improve. Black graciously thanks any reporter who wants to interview him.

All of those qualities convinced the Lakers to retain Black on a non-guaranteed contract this season after picking up the undrafted forward last season off the waiver wire. But Lakers coach Byron Scott believes Black needs to replace that friendly exterior with something darker.

“The biggest thing I told him last year was he’s too nice. He has to get some type of mean streak in him,” Scott said. “Then he can be a monster.”

Scott ranked Kobe Bryant and himself as the meanest members on the Lakers. So how does Black join the club?

“That’s a good question,” Scott said. “Some guys can’t change. Some guys are just who they are. I have to find that out.”

And Black wants to find out more what Scott wants.

“He hasn’t broken it down what it means to be meaner, so I’m not sure,” Black said.
“But at the same time, he’s my coach, man. He’s the captain of the ship. So if he has thoughts about how we should grow, get better and play in his system, I’ll abide by it. We’ve talked about it, but we need to keep talking about it. As I find out more of what he wants out of me, I’ll have to mold to that.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151022/la-lakers-byron-scott-wants-tarik-black-to-develop-a-mean-streak

^^Ever since I read this, it's always been my conviction throughout the season that this, or something related to it, was the real reason why Byron kept Tarik in the doghouse all season. It centered around Byron's extremely misguided perceptions of basketball and manhood, but mainly, manhood. It was personal. In his mind, Tarik was too nice a guy to play on a Byron Scott team.

The way you know it was personal is because this "he's too nice" criticism wasn't something Byron could validate on the court. In what way(s) could it be argued that Tarik's "nice" personality hurt him as a player? Simply put, it can't. There's nothing "nice" about his game. The guy plays with nonstop energy every second he's out there. Scott's issues with him weren't truly about basketball. In his mind, Tarik was just soft.

It's truly a travesty that a coach could be so full of himself and so incredibly misguided that he'd allow personal issues with a player to impact his own coaching decisions, as if assigning minutes to a player or burying him on the bench will only impact the player, rather than the overall success of the team. But hey, that's Mr. for you.

However, Tarik is pretty much a lock to return next season as a rotation player under coach Walton.

Man, what a cluster last year was. I really hope we keep TB and he has a great season with Luke. Reminds me of when Byron took DLO out of a game because he was getting too confident.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Tarik officially a restricted free agent:

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/748581959400513536

Quote:
Lakers have given qualifying offers to Jordan Clarkson, Tarik Black & Marcelo Huertas making all 3 restricted, not Ryan Kelly @BBallInsiders
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
Tarik officially a restricted free agent:

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/748581959400513536

Quote:
Lakers have given qualifying offers to Jordan Clarkson, Tarik Black & Marcelo Huertas making all 3 restricted, not Ryan Kelly @BBallInsiders

Great news!!!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Can we sign him for $50 million for 1 yr to meet our minimum?
yammy1688
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:

YAY!

WHITESIDE, NANCE, BLACK

Welcome to da REAL LOB-CITY B***H
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Give Qualifying Offers To Jordan Clarkson, Marcelo Huertas, And Tarik Black

Quote:
As for Black and Huertas, it was uncertain where they stood regarding their immediate future with the Lakers. Both players showed promise during their time in Los Angeles but seem to be considered expendable. If offer sheets from teams start pouring in, it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that both players could be wearing a different uniform next season. By making them restricted free agents, however, the Lakers have at least given themselves the option to match any offers.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-give-qualifying-offers-to-jordan-clarkson-marcelo-huertas-and-tarik-black/2016/06/30/
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Byron not playing Tarik guaranteed Ingram to the Lakers. I think we will build a statue for Byron when all is said and done. Move over, Kobe.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Thank goodness we were able to keep Tarik. I'm pretty sure he was too smart for Byron to be able to hold a conversation with him or something.

I only wish we could have gotten him more playing time so he'd develop. He started showing a mid-range shot with a very nice release.

Either way, at least we have a couple of centers on the roster now, unless he gets a restricted offer, which seems unlikely.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Good, I thought he got a raw deal under Byron. Now we can see how good he really is.
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject:

Black has a real chance to bring it this year. Hope he's working on his game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 41 of 66
Jump to: