Could Kuzma Start At PF?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Could Kuzma Start At PF?

I really don't know what's to stop Kuzma from starting at PF.

He's clearly, clearly a better shooter than both Randle or Nance.

He's clearly a more intelligent and sound defender than Randle.

He's also clearly a great fit playing next to Lonzo Ball.

If this kid keeps developing he'll eventually win the job unless Randle absolutely takes off this year.
WestwoodWizard
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

One thing is for sure, his and Lonzo's games fit very well together. Luke needs to get them on the court at the same time.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Could Kuzma Start At PF?

Lakers2015 wrote:

He's clearly, clearly a better shooter than both Randle or Nance.

He's clearly a more intelligent and sound defender than Randle.

He's also clearly a great fit playing next to Lonzo Ball.

If this kid keeps developing he'll eventually win the job unless Randle absolutely takes off this year.

He's clearly a player who hasn't played an NBA game yet.... so no. Love the optimism though!

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Could Kuzma Start At PF?

Lakers2015 wrote:

Julius Randle.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

First 20 games, Kuzma learns some things defensively (like all rookies have to do) , and you also see if Ranlde's hitting 3s.. Then you assess.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

If Randle doesn't make any significant improvements on his shooting in the first 20 or so games, then he's gone.

As long as Kuzma keeps doing his things and starts with rotation minutes, then his time will come.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
If Randle doesn't make any significant improvements on his shooting in the first 20 or so games, then he's gone.

He'd still have a bigger impact than Kuzma would. Cause Randle's the better rebounder, passer, ball handler, half court player, transition decision maker, finisher, decision maker in general, overall player and overall talent, than Kuzma, and it's not close.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

He can't start, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get first crack at backup PF minutes while Nance is the small-ball center.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:

He'd still have a bigger impact than Kuzma would. Cause Randle's the better rebounder, passer, ball handler, half court player, transition decision maker, finisher, decision maker in general, overall player and overall talent, than Kuzma, and it's not close.

Shooting/floor spacing is a huuge asset to an offense, it is the most important aspect of the game (along with defense)

And Kuzma will be an above average passer (although Randle could be special there)

If you don't think a 36% 3pt, OK defending, good passing, good lane-running - Power Forward is better than Randle ... you have Randle severely overrated
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:

I know it's just Summer League so far, but Kuzma seems like a better running mate to go with Lonzo. Kuzma's ability to catch and shoot especially from 3 theoretically gives him an edge over Randle's "hold the ball and think about what to do" style. JMO

Now if Randle comes back with a whole new game, we'll see.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:
He can't start, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get first crack at backup PF minutes while Nance is the small-ball center.

Very interested in seeing what a front line of Ingram, Kuzma and Nance can do. All three are long and mobile, have well rounded games. There are gaps but all of them are two way and can pass. Add shooting and there you are.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

imho, he'd do fine against stretch 4s, but would have a real hard time with the more traditional "power" forwards!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

and it's not that Randle is a bad prospect... He still has a very high ceiling.. If he comes out, and is just a respectable 3pt shooter, harder lane-running, dynamic transition player with/without the ball, and solid on defense.. That's a very good starting PF going forward. That's closer to his ceiling though - and despite that promising ceiling, he still has a pretty low floor.
Kuzma is a great prospect himself. Elite shooting potential for his position, really good passing, should be solid defensively. These are two good PF prospects who, because of each other, should have to earn playing time
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma fits Lonzo's game to a T. He could easily average 10 points just off transition buckets. He's already the best 3 point shooter after Lopez. I'd definitely consider starting him over Randle.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:

I lot of your claims there are a little redundant, while the ones I have in bold are very debateable right now.

Randle has very low IQ like Clarkson unfortunately. forget defensively, offensively he makes me pull my hair out with his need to hold the ball for 5+ seconds, and drive in to 2 players in the paint while floating up a brick. Or alternatively, he makes very difficult passes from to time in this state.

Finisher, I sure hope so. Cause Kuzma has looked good making Lonzo fed passes.

But Rebounder, yeah he better be better then that.

Good. Just needed this space. I think I'm a little drunk. The letters look and act weird.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
imho, he'd do fine against stretch 4s, but would have a real hard time with the more traditional "power" forwards!

So? Let them (whoever these "power" forwards are) try to check him in transition, and on the perimeter.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:

I know it's just Summer League so far, but Kuzma seems like a better running mate to go with Lonzo. Kuzma's ability to catch and shoot especially from 3 theoretically gives him an edge over Randle's "hold the ball and think about what to do" style. JMO

Except that's not Julius's style. Again, outside of his rookie season. Last year whenever he held the ball and 'thought' it was because he was looking to make the right play to a teammate.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Except that's not Julius's style. Again, outside of his rookie season. Last year whenever he held the ball and 'thought' it was because he was looking to make the right play to a teammate.

: 😂
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

My concern with randle is:
Low IQ
No shooting
No defense
Holds the ball

Which Kuzma does well with. If randle improves I have no concern starting him
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

I have a hard time picturing Randle not starting, but I'd love to see Kuzma play up to that level to make this a question this coming season.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

And then theres nance. Potentially in the future yes. This year NO.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:

So? Let them (whoever these "power" forwards are) try to check him in transition, and on the perimeter.

No doubt he'll exploit the mismatches, especially out on the perimeter, however like tonight, we'll give up a lot of rebounds: opponents will get plenty second-shots, and good teams will make us pay!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Not yet, he's got to stop the questionable shots. Several times now I see him mano y mano, but instead of taking the man all the way, he just flips up a shot in front of him, as if he can't change direction, then chases the rebound cause he knows it's a brick. Gotta stop that.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
My concern with randle is:
Low IQ
No shooting
No defense
Holds the ball

Which Kuzma does well with. If randle improves I have no concern starting him

I think people should stop throwing around the term low IQ. As much as Randle has made some boneheaded plays, he has also made some amazing passes and has great vision at times. Saying he's low IQ insults the guy as a person too. Like ease it up on that front.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:

If Kuzma shoots, say, 37% from three, then he's automatically a better offensive role player than Randle has been. And if Kuzma is also a better defender, then he'd automatically be a more effective player than Randle has been. IOW, yes, Randle should indeed feel a bit threatened by the other PF's on the roster. Kuzma is showing a lot of promise, and Nance has outplayed Randle for the past two seasons. Randle has to step his game up to remain a Laker beyond this season, because his 12 million dollar cap hold doesn't necessarily mesh with the 2 max FA plan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: