The Evolution of Lonzo's Shooting Form

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does Lonzo need to fix his shot?
Yes. It'll make him a more dynamic scorer.
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
Yes, but not now. He'll work on it in the offseasons to come.
29%
 29%  [ 14 ]
No. Why fix something he's had his entire basketball life?
34%
 34%  [ 16 ]
Undecided.
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 47

Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: The Evolution of Lonzo's Shooting Form

By now we're all too familiar with that 'Jim Furyk' lefty unorthodox form, and while it did serve him well enough in college, we know there are drawbacks at the pro level. Namely it limits his options when he's forced to go right, can't really pull-up straight, nor can he shoot off the dribble with much variety other than that step-back. At some point he will have to adjust his form in order to be a more consistent shooter and also overcome defenders who know how to stop him from getting his preferred looks away from the basket.

Plenty of guys fixed & perfected their shooting forms over their careers but there's yet to be a guy with Lonzo's cross-ball low release who's done a major makeover to their shot form. Only guy to really have success shooting over 38% from 3 was Kevin Martin and he was a wing player not the lead guard.

I don't think he'll mess with his mechanics too much during his rookie season, but in years to come he'll have to make some adjustments to his shot pocket and fix that 'hitch' he sometimes exhibits in the bottom of his release as well as that bent elbow.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject:

What do we mean fix? Any player who's not an elite shooter, is looking to tweak his mechanics in the off-season. Are we talking about tweaking the mechanics, or overhauling?
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
What do we mean fix? Any player who's not an elite shooter, is looking to tweak his mechanics in the off-season. Are we talking about tweaking the mechanics, or overhauling?

I don't think he'll completly shed that eccentric form of his. I started this thread to talk exclusively about Lonzo's form and not dig into that other stuff which gets discussed in that megathread. But as previously pointed out--his shooting form does limit his game offensively, he'll need to sort that out as a pro.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I don't think he'll completly shed that eccentric form of his. I started this thread to talk exclusively about Lonzo's form and not dig into that other stuff which gets discussed in that megathread. But as previously pointed out--his shooting form does limit his game offensively, he'll need to sort that out as a pro.

Ok yea that was my question. I don't think he will, or should - it would be such a huge change, probably take a couple years to perfect.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Ok yea that was my question. I don't think he will, or should - it would be such a huge change, probably take a couple years to perfect.

Should he cut his hair?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Should he cut his hair?

ha, if he wanted a traditional form - numbers say yes
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:

What do you guys think he should start with? Stop bringing the ball up from his left hip and bring it up from his waist/chest?
LakersARETheGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Didn't steph curry change his form to make his release faster, never really followed curry but I think he did. So I voted undecided.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

This is always been one of the big question marks about him. Will his form cause him to struggle against NBA level defenders? My guess is he won't do much about it this season but he could in the years to come if he finds he has trouble getting a shot off.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject:

LakersARETheGOAT wrote:
Didn't steph curry change his form to make his release faster, never really followed curry but I think he did. So I voted undecided.

Yes he did speed up his release. The overall form is basically the same though.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject:

LakersARETheGOAT wrote:

In high school, his shooting mechanics weren't as terrible to begin with however.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject:

I think his shooting form really limits his ability to make shots in the midrange or moving to his right.. which is possibly a reason why his midrange game is nonexistent.

If he's going to be an elite player, he will have to be more than one dimensional on offense.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
I think his shooting form really limits his ability to make shots in the midrange or moving to his right.. which is possibly a reason why his midrange game is nonexistent.

If he's going to be an elite player, he will have to be more than one dimensional on offense.

ding ding ding this 1000%....this is what suppose to been look at in "private workouts"
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

His release makes his shot prone to misses to the right and left.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

No. He's going to be fine.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Have you noticed the new free throw form?

why not just adjust his shot a little like that.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

He'll tweak it as necessary.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Maybe after 1 NBA game.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I just hope that his forehead grows a little bit. This is what bothers me most about him.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Too early to know imo. I lean towards not worrying about it since the release is straight, but we'll see how the unusual wind up affects him as his first season progresses.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
This is always been one of the big question marks about him. Will his form cause him to struggle against NBA level defenders? My guess is he won't do much about it this season but he could in the years to come if he finds he has trouble getting a shot off.
til this day i dont know why that was even a thing. its not like the nba has a boat load of great wing defenders. that 1v1 defense is almost completely gone from the nba along the perimeter. A few guys i can think of off the top are. iggy, KL, patrick beverly, klay ..not many other ones anymore. its about team defense and team defense is not going to bother his weird shot.

on top of that he has a very quick release at this early stage.

right now i think the nba ball is bothering his shot. the feel of it. in addition to him being so use to stepping back way behind the 3pt line. he's still doing it. which is crazy. he needs to remember you did that to get ready for the nba. you're here now. Scoot up bro...
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
32 wrote:

Have you noticed the new free throw form?

why not just adjust his shot a little like that.
not exactly the same. he also jumps when shooting all shots that are not FT's. jumping and changing your form could be disastrous before it becomes a good thing.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

Why was this such a ??

Why couldn't the Lakers ask an elite defender... ok the Lakers don't have an elite defender. Well how about paying a former elite defender such as Tayshaun Prince, Ruben Patterson, Raja Bell, etc. to play one-on-one defense against Lonzo to see how well he could get his shot? Or pull up a midrange jumper?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: