The End of Gangs in LA (good read)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: The End of Gangs in LA (good read)

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/politics-and-law/the-end-of-gangs-los-angeles-southern-california-epidemic-crime-95498/#.VKFtOIdOIFg.reddit

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Wow, for real journalism. Great read. I came of age in the 70's and 80's and the Crips and Bloods, along with the boyz in blue were an omnipresent source of fear and dis-ease. Prompted me to become heavily involved in martial arts as a means of self protection. It's good to see what has happened. Watching
"The Wire" again makes me wonder what has gone on in B-More since then.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Very nice read. Thanks.

I live near Azusa and El Monte and have to drive thru and visit a lot of those other cities for work. They're still not a place I'd want to raise my kids, but you can tell it has improved a great deal.

The only thing is now my kids have to deal with "swag" and hipster douchebags instead of "tagging" and gangs. Lol
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Wow, for real journalism. Great read. I came of age in the 70's and 80's and the Crips and Bloods, along with the boyz in blue were an omnipresent source of fear and dis-ease. Prompted me to become heavily involved in martial arts as a means of self protection. It's good to see what has happened. Watching

Funny you mention the Wire. I'm just about to wrap up season 1. Thought about the show while I was reading as well.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Have some dignity and self respect in life. Don't become a worthless, obnoxious, nuisance to society. Do something constructive.
axs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Growing up in Pacoima, I can see how things have changed since I was small. Them Eses were everywhere, now I don't see them that frequently.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lover wrote:
Have some dignity and self respect in life. Don't become a worthless, obnoxious, nuisance to society. Do something constructive.

Dis Ashian Boy foo
U gah shee foo?
Duuu maa
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

Dis Ashian Boy foo
U gah shee foo?
Duuu maa

LOL! Gold.

My friend in college worked at the Golfland in Stanton in the 90s. When he heard that, he knew it was time to hit the deck.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

Dis Ashian Boy foo
U gah shee foo?
Duuu maa

LOL! Gold.

My friend in college worked at the Golfland in Stanton in the 90s. When he heard that, he knew it was time to hit the deck.

The 90's had to be the peak in terms of prevalence of gangs in LA- especially when it came to Asian gangs.

You were either 'down' or a 'ranker' when walking into a smoked-filled pool hall full of little Asian dudes with fade haircuts and over sized khakis topped with a white tee.

Stupid times.

Kiss my Converse.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject:

What I find hard to grasp is how such expensive behavior--operational costs include loss of life, freedom through incarceration, safe and decent housing through blight--seems to still be glamorized in pop culture. I imagine it's only "wangstas". But if even that's the case, why propose as a mode of life something whose odds of success are probably lower than a Vegas gambler against the house?
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Wow, for real journalism. Great read.

PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject:

What kind of martial arts have you taken?
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Gang wars happen on Twitter now instead of the streets.
BasketballReasons?
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

Dis Ashian Boy foo
U gah shee foo?
Duuu maa

LOL! Gold.

The 90's had to be the peak in terms of prevalence of gangs in LA- especially when it came to Asian gangs.

You were either 'down' or a 'ranker' when walking into a smoked-filled pool hall full of little Asian dudes with fade haircuts and over sized khakis topped with a white tee.

Stupid times.

I think Asian gangs are still active in Long Beach today...rest probably all died out...

I've lived in Koreatown since 91...and there were gangs everywhere...Korean gangs, other Asians, MS, 18th st...now I rarely see those types...lot of skater kids and White's moving in my area...it's weird seeing the changes but less violence is always a good thing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:

BasketballReasons? wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

Dis Ashian Boy foo
U gah shee foo?
Duuu maa

LOL! Gold.

Stupid times.

I think Asian gangs are still active in Long Beach today...rest probably all died out...

I've lived in Koreatown since 91...and there were gangs everywhere...Korean gangs, other Asians, MS, 18th st...now I rarely see those types...lot of skater kids and White's moving in my area...it's weird seeing the changes but less violence is always a good thing.

The internet came at the right time. A lot of the fighting now takes place online instead of real life. Of course the downside is that people are now more isolated than ever. The late 80's and 90's were a particular bad time for gang activity. Everybody at the time knew somebody who got shot, stabbed, or were gunned down.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:

Funny you mention the Wire. I'm just about to wrap up season 1. Thought about the show while I was reading as well.

The. Greatest. Show. Ever.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject:

PROPHET wrote:

Chinese Kenpo with Steve Sanders back on Crenshaw BLVD in the 70's, later boxing and now Muay Thay and for the past two years Jiu Jitsu.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Good to see the improvements but I still read the walls to tell me what's going on. 18th street is now down by Manchester and Century running along Fig. Compton still have the Ese's and blacks beefing. If you compare them to now, it's a major improvement. Many of the triple OGs have come home from 2O-25 year bids and I know many of the eight trey OGs came home and regulated.

You still see many knuckleheads hanging out and claiming sets but those sets that were battlefields in the 70-80s are vastly improved. Usta here the helicopters and police every night especially on Sunday nights when the 60s and Treys went at it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Damn dough, you sound like you use to bang.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Or know how to survive.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Or know how to survive.

I'm not sure a lot of poster in this forum know what dough's talking about when he writes 18th street, Ese's in Compton OGs coming home from 20-25 bids. eight trey was back in the day.

I know what he's saying I don't know how many here REALLY do.

dough writes straight street.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject:

PROPHET wrote:

Chinese Kenpo with Steve Sanders back on Crenshaw BLVD in the 70's, later boxing and now Muay Thay and for the past two years Jiu Jitsu.

Oss! I've boxed when I was younger and have been doing Jiu Jitsu for a minute now. There's nothing like rolling to put your ego in check and also keep you in shape and young, good on you.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Naw I never banged. I was scared of my pops more than any gang member. I did know a lot of them though. Monster Kody and Crazy D used to set up shop right off 80th and Western right down the street from my grandparents house. Dumps lived down the street from us and Chili Red always rode on a beach cruise with the sawed off across the handlebars. A black dude with red hair and freckles.

I have been jumped a couple times though. Once by some Hoovers and another time by some eight treys for wearing a red Cincinnati Reds hat. Lol. I was going to the corner store on 83rd and Normandie. Forgot I had it. "What's up with that dead hat cuzz?" Took some shots but made it out alright. That's the bad.

The good is I was good in sports and they did keep alotta dude from messing with me. "Stall him out, he don't bang, he's a ball player". As long as you showed respect, the big OGs watched over you. A lot of them looked up to pops because they didn't have any father figure. I see them from time to time now, all burnt out.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Naw I never banged. I was scared of my pops more than any gang member. I did know a lot of them though. Monster Kody and Crazy D used to set up shop right off 80th and Western right down the street from my grandparents house. Dumps lived down the street from us and Chili Red always rode on a beach cruise with the sawed off across the handlebars. A black dude with red hair and freckles.

I have been jumped a couple times though. Once by some Hoovers and another time by some eight treys for wearing a red Cincinnati Reds hat. Lol. I was going to the corner store on 83rd and Normandie. Forgot I had it. "What's up with that dead hat cuzz?" Took some shots but made it out alright. That's the bad.

The good is I was good in sports and they did keep alotta dude from messing with me. "Stall him out, he don't bang, he's a ball player". As long as you showed respect, the big OGs watched over you. A lot of them looked up to pops because they didn't have any father figure. I see them from time to time now, all burnt out.

Is your real name Trey?

Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

axs wrote:
Growing up in Pacoima, I can see how things have changed since I was small. Them Eses were everywhere, now I don't see them that frequently.

I grew up near Pacoima (Glenoaks and Filmore) and went to San Fernando High School in the mid nineties. Gangs were everywhere and it was a dog eat dog environment. I drive by the local high schools now and see a much softer version of teenager.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: