Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Damn dough, you sound like you use to bang.

Naw I never banged. I was scared of my pops more than any gang member. I did know a lot of them though. Monster Kody and Crazy D used to set up shop right off 80th and Western right down the street from my grandparents house. Dumps lived down the street from us and Chili Red always rode on a beach cruise with the sawed off across the handlebars. A black dude with red hair and freckles.

I have been jumped a couple times though. Once by some Hoovers and another time by some eight treys for wearing a red Cincinnati Reds hat. Lol. I was going to the corner store on 83rd and Normandie. Forgot I had it. "What's up with that dead hat cuzz?" Took some shots but made it out alright. That's the bad.

The good is I was good in sports and they did keep alotta dude from messing with me. "Stall him out, he don't bang, he's a ball player". As long as you showed respect, the big OGs watched over you. A lot of them looked up to pops because they didn't have any father figure. I see them from time to time now, all burnt out.

Back then I knew dudes from Florencia, I lived downtown for a while before moving to Pacoima area. Sad thing is there were times when the phrase "I dont bang" didnt matter. Still got jumped twice anyway. Certain gangs were out there to bully while others were only interested in their enemies. I didnt have good luck with gangs like Diamond St., Clover, Toonerville and San Fernando. White Fence, Florencia, Maravilla, Pacoima and Frog Town left me alone.

Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:
axs wrote:
Growing up in Pacoima, I can see how things have changed since I was small. Them Eses were everywhere, now I don't see them that frequently.

I grew up near Pacoima (Glenoaks and Filmore) and went to San Fernando High School in the mid nineties. Gangs were everywhere and it was a dog eat dog environment. I drive by the local high schools now and see a much softer version of teenager.

I see a lot of skaters and kids with long hair and tight black skinny jeans nowadays. Funny how the generations change.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Back in the day I worked security at a liquor store on Washington and Hauser. I knew very little about CRIPS, BLOODS, 18TH STREET and the lot.

A youngster walked up to me, asked, "Where You From?' I answered New Jersey, he said I'm from Harlem. I answered, that's across the river. I had no idea he meant he was a Harlem CRIP.

Another time a youngster asked me if I'd see Tommy Stit, I said, yeah, he just went by on his bike and pointed the direction. A youngster standing there said to me "Man, you don't spose to tell no one bout where someone went. Spose he was looking for him to kill him?" Lesson learned.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Back in the day I worked security at a liquor store on Washington and Hauser. I knew very little about CRIPS, BLOODS, 18TH STREET and the lot.

A youngster walked up to me, asked, "Where You From?' I answered New Jersey, he said I'm from Harlem. I answered, that's across the river. I had no idea he meant he was a Harlem CRIP.

Another time a youngster asked me if I'd see Tommy Stit, I said, yeah, he just went by on his bike and pointed the direction. A youngster standing there said to me "Man, you don't spose to tell no one bout where someone went. Spose he was looking for him to kill him?" Lesson learned.

Glad this didn't happen to you....

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Glad this didn't happen to you....

I would go on the parking lot and ask the loiterers to 'PLEASE"
hang out down the street, they usually did.

When I worked the store the lot stayed relatively clear. I had the respect of the hood. I knew the leader of the pack.

I was let go because the police said I was to friendly with the neighborhood. I couldn't believe it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Testing you out! lol The answer is always, i dont know, i didnt see or hear anything i had my earphones on! lol
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Naw I never banged. I was scared of my pops more than any gang member. I did know a lot of them though. Monster Kody and Crazy D used to set up shop right off 80th and Western right down the street from my grandparents house. Dumps lived down the street from us and Chili Red always rode on a beach cruise with the sawed off across the handlebars. A black dude with red hair and freckles.

I have been jumped a couple times though. Once by some Hoovers and another time by some eight treys for wearing a red Cincinnati Reds hat. Lol. I was going to the corner store on 83rd and Normandie. Forgot I had it. "What's up with that dead hat cuzz?" Took some shots but made it out alright. That's the bad.

The good is I was good in sports and they did keep alotta dude from messing with me. "Stall him out, he don't bang, he's a ball player". As long as you showed respect, the big OGs watched over you. A lot of them looked up to pops because they didn't have any father figure. I see them from time to time now, all burnt out.

Is your real name Trey?

A lot in that movie rang true. Hence my screen name. Pops did try to school those knuckleheads. Some listened, some found out the hard way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Testing you out! lol The answer is always, i dont know, i didnt see or hear anything i had my earphones on! lol

Like I said, lesson learned. I've never banged, don't know the codes or rules. I don't know gang boundaries. I wear a lot of blue, one of my favorite colors. I don't wear a lot of red, got some SeanJohn T's in red, that's about it. So far I haven't had a problem for what I wear. I think because of my age bangers don't think I have a set. I don't dress like a OG.

kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Like I said, lesson learned. I've never banged, don't know the codes or rules. I don't know gang boundaries. I wear a lot of blue, one of my favorite colors. I don't wear a lot of red, got some SeanJohn T's in red, that's about it. So far I haven't had a problem for what I wear. I think because of my age bangers don't think I have a set. I don't dress like a OG.

I know. I was Born in L.A and grew up in Nor Cal and been here since i was 5. Im a DOdgers fan, but i cant even wear my gear up here ill get shot. lol

I been versed in all this gang stuff. All my family from L.A is gang related and i did some time in that stuff when i was a youngster. Im almost 40 now. Im the furthest thing from all that drama stuff now. I just kick it with my family now days.

Anyways, its good to know the rules thats for sure especially if your hispanic. There isnt much blood crip stuff in nor Cal. There is, but not alot.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
BasketballReasons? wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:
Have some dignity and self respect in life. Don't become a worthless, obnoxious, nuisance to society. Do something constructive.

Dis Ashian Boy foo
U gah shee foo?
Duuu maa

LOL! Gold.

My friend in college worked at the Golfland in Stanton in the 90s. When he heard that, he knew it was time to hit the deck.

The 90's had to be the peak in terms of prevalence of gangs in LA- especially when it came to Asian gangs.

You were either 'down' or a 'ranker' when walking into a smoked-filled pool hall full of little Asian dudes with fade haircuts and over sized khakis topped with a white tee.

Stupid times.

I think Asian gangs are still active in Long Beach today...rest probably all died out...

I've lived in Koreatown since 91...and there were gangs everywhere...Korean gangs, other Asians, MS, 18th st...now I rarely see those types...lot of skater kids and White's moving in my area...it's weird seeing the changes but less violence is always a good thing.

The internet came at the right time. A lot of the fighting now takes place online instead of real life. Of course the downside is that people are now more isolated than ever. The late 80's and 90's were a particular bad time for gang activity. Everybody at the time knew somebody who got shot, stabbed, or were gunned down.

Imo most of the seriously violent Asian gangbangers were the FOB's (Fresh Off The Boat) . Sure there were some really violent Asian Americans as well but I think the most notable killings were done by the Asians who were fresh from Asia.

I entered high school in the late 90's so the gang culture wasn't tooo crazy as in the early 90's but I for sure had my fair share of run ins. As an American Asian who's 6 feet tall , all the Asian gangs in my school tried recruiting me really hard. I seen and heard what they did to a lot of kids who denied them to enter their gangs. I just tried my best to keep it cool. They eventually knew that I didn't gangbang but I choose to bang the basketball rim instead. I remember some of them even used to come to my games. An once they seen the kid in action they knew basketball was the only life for me

So I guess in a way basketball saved my life. Because most of them dudes are either dead or doing some massive life sentence in prison.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I know. I was Born in L.A and grew up in Nor Cal and been here since i was 5. Im a DOdgers fan, but i cant even wear my gear up here ill get shot. lol

I been versed in all this gang stuff. All my family from L.A is gang related and i did some time in that stuff when i was a youngster. Im almost 40 now. Im the furthest thing from all that drama stuff now. I just kick it with my family now days.

Anyways, its good to know the rules thats for sure especially if your hispanic. There isnt much blood crip stuff in nor Cal. There is, but not alot.

I was taking my exercise walk yesterday. I walked by the park and a youngster walking by asked "How Ya Doin OG" I answered, "Best I Can." I was wearing one of my Dobs Guess I kinda dress like a OG

Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Growing up in the streets aint no joke. Theres crazy crime. Drugs and mad violence. Ya the streets is tough. But there aint no streets tougher than mine. The streets of MALIBU!!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Is your real name Trey?

Haha. Chucklin that I was picking up on that feeling just as I came across this post. I knew it was gonna be the gentrification scene. Furious reads a lot...Yeah, there's a problem... One of my favorite scenes is when he offers Lil Chris 5 dollars to rake his lawn. Lil Chris: "Maaaaaan, that aint S!"

I don't know how Singleton went from that to that college movie. That was horrible. A topic not in his wheelhouse to use a growing term that I hate. Mike Rappaport as Remy. Shoots Tyra Banks from the clock tower a la Charles Whitman. Ugh. She was cute then, though. I never minded the "fivehead" cracks. If you're occupied with her forehead, you're not focusing where it matters.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:
axs wrote:
Growing up in Pacoima, I can see how things have changed since I was small. Them Eses were everywhere, now I don't see them that frequently.

I grew up near Pacoima (Glenoaks and Filmore) and went to San Fernando High School in the mid nineties. Gangs were everywhere and it was a dog eat dog environment. I drive by the local high schools now and see a much softer version of teenager.

I see a lot of skaters and kids with long hair and tight black skinny jeans nowadays. Funny how the generations change.

Yep. Went from Size 50 Dickies to skinny jeans. Weird.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Hammett wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:
axs wrote:

to be fair, they used to wear skinny jeans in the 80's as well. I remember in junior high guys askign other dudes for help to get their pants over their ankles so they can change into gym shorts. haha It was hilarious. See the dude holding on the changing bench and another kid pulling on his pants to get them off. haha

Times change, then they go back. Its weird.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Hammett wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:
axs wrote:

to be fair, they used to wear skinny jeans in the 80's as well. I remember in junior high guys askign other dudes for help to get their pants over their ankles so they can change into gym shorts. haha It was hilarious. See the dude holding on the changing bench and another kid pulling on his pants to get them off. haha

Haha. EARLY 80s Levis were just tight on their own accord. I know what you mean. That style shows up in really dated early 80s movies like Last American Virgin. Or...if you look on YT at footage from the US Festival in 83, there are tons of headbangers w/ those tight ass jeans on. Funny to see them walkin around in Woz's "technology tent". Metal guys like Dave Mustaine wore em. At that time chics were clamoring for those hi-priced designer Jordache style jeans. Remember all those commercials for em? Check this one. Is this just a tad suggestive?

Latter 80s, there was that "pegged" pants thing. That stupid fad (which I partook in as well) where you folded over your pant leg and rolled it up to stay there. In 87-90, every single boy and a lotta girls at my school did that. Also stonewashed jeans. That's embarrassing, I know I had a pair of black ones. Chuck Taylors were in in 88 and my sis told me that fad is back more or less. Niece wants all-white Chucks, girls wear those. Those damn Chucks will never go away. They just get rediscovered over and over.

This is a dude that shows how dumb that looked. He's got his hands up as if to say, "Guilty as charged."
http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/t_article_image/fvezulop7o97qubxgb4v.jpg
rockyp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject:

Gang culture is dead and dying out. Thanks to the internet and skinny jeans.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Hammett wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:
axs wrote:

Haha. EARLY 80s Levis were just tight on their own accord. I know what you mean. That style shows up in really dated early 80s movies like Last American Virgin. Or...if you look on YT at footage from the US Festival in 83, there are tons of headbangers w/ those tight ass jeans on. Funny to see them walkin around in Woz's "technology tent". Metal guys like Dave Mustaine wore em. At that time chics were clamoring for those hi-priced designer Jordache style jeans. Remember all those commercials for em? Check this one. Is this just a tad suggestive?

Latter 80s, there was that "pegged" pants thing. That stupid fad (which I partook in as well) where you folded over your pant leg and rolled it up to stay there. In 87-90, every single boy and a lotta girls at my school did that. Also stonewashed jeans. That's embarrassing, I know I had a pair of black ones. Chuck Taylors were in in 88 and my sis told me that fad is back more or less. Niece wants all-white Chucks, girls wear those. Those damn Chucks will never go away. They just get rediscovered over and over.

This is a dude that shows how dumb that looked. He's got his hands up as if to say, "Guilty as charged."
http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/t_article_image/fvezulop7o97qubxgb4v.jpg
LOL, pegged look used to go as far as kids getting their parents to cut their pants and tapper them up. lol it was modified skinny jeans, Levi wasnt going it back then that i can remember, so people busted out their sewing machines and did it themselves. haha i never did that (bleep) though.

I'm a firm beleiver in i just have jeans and a tshirt not "outfits". haha
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

rockyp wrote:

Not where i live, its even worse. Then again im in N.Cal like i said. (bleep) is getting crazier and crazier up here. I live in and average size town and already 3 gang related murders and we are 2 weeks into the new year.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Is your real name Trey?

Haha. Chucklin that I was picking up on that feeling just as I came across this post. I knew it was gonna be the gentrification scene. Furious reads a lot...Yeah, there's a problem... One of my favorite scenes is when he offers Lil Chris 5 dollars to rake his lawn. Lil Chris: "Maaaaaan, that aint S!"

I don't know how Singleton went from that to that college movie. That was horrible. A topic not in his wheelhouse to use a growing term that I hate. Mike Rappaport as Remy. Shoots Tyra Banks from the clock tower a la Charles Whitman. Ugh. She was cute then, though. I never minded the "fivehead" cracks. If you're occupied with her forehead, you're not focusing where it matters.

Yeah, Mike had something to say in BNTH, but "Higher Learning" was just a jumbled mess, redeemed only by the presence of Both young and hot as hell Tyra as well as young and beautiful Jennifer Connelly.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
rockyp wrote:

Not where i live, its even worse. Then again im in N.Cal like i said. (bleep) is getting crazier and crazier up here. I live in and average size town and already 3 gang related murders and we are 2 weeks into the new year.

Damn, where are you at? Sounds like Salinas.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Good to see the improvements but I still read the walls to tell me what's going on. 18th street is now down by Manchester and Century running along Fig. Compton still have the Ese's and blacks beefing. If you compare them to now, it's a major improvement. Many of the triple OGs have come home from 2O-25 year bids and I know many of the eight trey OGs came home and regulated.

You still see many knuckleheads hanging out and claiming sets but those sets that were battlefields in the 70-80s are vastly improved. Usta here the helicopters and police every night especially on Sunday nights when the 60s and Treys went at it.

Good post. I know first hand that the blacks and ese's are still beefing in Compton and its no end in sight.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Good to see the improvements but I still read the walls to tell me what's going on. 18th street is now down by Manchester and Century running along Fig. Compton still have the Ese's and blacks beefing. If you compare them to now, it's a major improvement. Many of the triple OGs have come home from 2O-25 year bids and I know many of the eight trey OGs came home and regulated.

You still see many knuckleheads hanging out and claiming sets but those sets that were battlefields in the 70-80s are vastly improved. Usta here the helicopters and police every night especially on Sunday nights when the 60s and Treys went at it.

Good post. I know first hand that the blacks and ese's are still beefing in Compton and its no end in sight.

black and brown are gonna beef for a while and the brown are slowing winning. most of the black folks are moving out to the suburbs and the brown are moving in. Go out to Moreno Valley, you'll see many of the OG's now out there - in some parts turning MoVal into Compton. Damn shame.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

black and brown are gonna beef for a while and the brown are slowing winning. most of the black folks are moving out to the suburbs and the brown are moving in. Go out to Moreno Valley, you'll see many of the OG's now out there - in some parts turning MoVal into Compton. Damn shame.

You can definitely see it. My brother coaches at Compton High. At one point in the 90's and early 2000's all 3 schools in Compton were good in basketball and Football. The black population is so down in the City that it hurts the athletic teams.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: