GRIZZLIES -at- LAKERS - 1-2-15 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Des0rbit
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Didnt see Scotts comments.....but couldnt it just be a coach taking heat off a vulnerable player? Lin has been having a tough time lately. Otherwise, it just doesnt make sense.
I went back to watch it again via my DVR. As Conley is bringing the ball up, you can clearly see Lin point at the clock and say something to Scott. Scott holds up his hand in a palm out gesture, universally recognized as a "wait" gesture, and says something back. Lin continues to look at Scott and then Conley, Scott, glancing back and forth between the two. This absolutely corroborates what Scott said and Lin said in their interviews about it. Add to that, people watching the Grizzlies' feed said that the Grizzlies' announcers said the exact same thing during and after the play: Lin was asking Scott if he should foul and Scott kept telling him no.

It's completely confirmed and verified that Scott was instructing Lin not to foul yet. I don't know what else people need to hear or see.
Yep. For people saying lin should have override Coach's decision - Lin is not a superstar like Kobe and at this moment is just a bench player who's minutes are dictated by how well he plays. in the history of nba i doubt there has been a bench player to go against coach's decision. lin was put in a tough spot and he did hte right thing by listening to coach, even if lin himself wanted to foul.
One has to act like a good/star/superstar to acquire the reputation/respect of one - otherwise he will remain a fringe player with talent.

Tough situations separates the fringe, good, star and super star players - nothing is given

Hopefully the players will learn how to respond to opposing teams' increased pressure and intensity at the end of games so that they can finish since this is the "preseason" for next year. Having the legitimate chance and/or win games against elite teams are showing signs that they are going in the right direction (maybe with the addition of a legitimate low post thread or maybe a PG). Given the injury situations of LeBron and Melo (along with the results of DFish/Jackson and Blatt), the FO could have made the right decisions - especially with the return of Randle and another high draft choice(s)

You guys are absurdly funny.

You don't ask Lin to override Scott's coaching when Scott has zero trust in Lin, Lin is trying his hardest to earn minutes on the floor you think he would want to jeopardize that by going against what Scott specifically told him not to do?

Don't give me that Oh he should have known better BS.
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Didnt see Scotts comments.....but couldnt it just be a coach taking heat off a vulnerable player? Lin has been having a tough time lately. Otherwise, it just doesnt make sense.
I went back to watch it again via my DVR. As Conley is bringing the ball up, you can clearly see Lin point at the clock and say something to Scott. Scott holds up his hand in a palm out gesture, universally recognized as a "wait" gesture, and says something back. Lin continues to look at Scott and then Conley, Scott, glancing back and forth between the two. This absolutely corroborates what Scott said and Lin said in their interviews about it. Add to that, people watching the Grizzlies' feed said that the Grizzlies' announcers said the exact same thing during and after the play: Lin was asking Scott if he should foul and Scott kept telling him no.

It's completely confirmed and verified that Scott was instructing Lin not to foul yet. I don't know what else people need to hear or see.
Yep. For people saying lin should have override Coach's decision - Lin is not a superstar like Kobe and at this moment is just a bench player who's minutes are dictated by how well he plays. in the history of nba i doubt there has been a bench player to go against coach's decision. lin was put in a tough spot and he did hte right thing by listening to coach, even if lin himself wanted to foul.
One has to act like a good/star/superstar to acquire the reputation/respect of one - otherwise he will remain a fringe player with talent.

Tough situations separates the fringe, good, star and super star players - nothing is given

Hopefully the players will learn how to respond to opposing teams' increased pressure and intensity at the end of games so that they can finish since this is the "preseason" for next year. Having the legitimate chance and/or win games against elite teams are showing signs that they are going in the right direction (maybe with the addition of a legitimate low post thread or maybe a PG). Given the injury situations of LeBron and Melo (along with the results of DFish/Jackson and Blatt), the FO could have made the right decisions - especially with the return of Randle and another high draft choice(s)

That's ridiculous and not even in Lin's character. There are a lot of superstars that didn't go against their coaches or bosses including guys like Tim Duncan and Derek Jeter or star championship winning players like Eli Manning. If their play can influence choice of coaches they use it, but athletes will act according to their character. You are so eager to find fault with Lin where here clearly the decision is up to the coach, the player who isn't a superstar followed the coach, and there's not more to it than that. Kobe has his own point and I don't think he is wrong, but Kobe is an exception on the court. None of the other players have superstar status or Kobe's character, so Kobe acts according to himself and what is right for him. It doesn't mean it is right for Ellington, Wesley Johnson or Jeremy Lin.

If we follow this logic, Lin shouldn't be leading any team anytime soon. If he or any other player can't make good decisions to help the team without the discretion of the coach, they are not a great player by definition. I won't belabor on this topic. We need more leaders, plain and simple, not YES men.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Now all we need is for Lin and Price to play well at the same time. Something that hasn't happened yet.

Vs. spur can be count one.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

That's ridiculous and not even in Lin's character. There are a lot of superstars that didn't go against their coaches or bosses including guys like Tim Duncan and Derek Jeter or star championship winning players like Eli Manning. If their play can influence choice of coaches they use it, but athletes will act according to their character. You are so eager to find fault with Lin where here clearly the decision is up to the coach, the player who isn't a superstar followed the coach, and there's not more to it than that. Kobe has his own point and I don't think he is wrong, but Kobe is an exception on the court. None of the other players have superstar status or Kobe's character, so Kobe acts according to himself and what is right for him. It doesn't mean it is right for Ellington, Wesley Johnson or Jeremy Lin.
Understand your position

The strongest factor is that it is not JLin's character.

Assuming that this situation was discussed, why was JLin looking at BScott before the 10 second mark and why was he just waiting (as oppose to pressuring the ball. If BScott did not bring it up, it is up to the PG to ask and to know exactly what the coach wants.

The difference between Johnson, Davis and Ellington to JLin is that he is the PG with the ball and should know exactly what needs to be done

Again, (as Kobe stated) the team needs to go through these situations (that includes the other numerous mistakes in the fourth quarter) to get the necessary experience and expertise. BScott trusted JLin at the close of the game, so this is a good thing
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

If we follow this logic, Lin shouldn't be leading any team anytime soon. If he or any other player can't make good decisions to help the team without the discretion of the coach, they are not a great player by definition. I won't belabor on this topic. We need more leaders, plain and simple, not YES men.

He is already on bench. You want BS put him in 3 unit. He is fighting for his minutes now not be leader.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

It isn't making decisions without the discretion of the coach. He did that throughout the game. It would be openly defying the coach's decision not to foul until the coach specified, that's what you are asking him to do and that would be foolhardy for Lin to do.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

fafan wrote:
nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

He is already on bench. You want BS put him in 3 unit. He is fighting for his minutes now not be leader.
Isnt the PG the leader on the court - just wondering.
BRICK
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

why everyone so delusional, it's not like lin took the final shot, kobe did.
he misses and blames lin so everyone agrees? it's not like kobe passed lin the ball in the final 3-4minutes even though he was shooting the best on the team last night

doesn't look good when star player kobe doesn't trust chinaman down the stretch even if he's shooting lights out.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

ed davis lin had career games. boozer, wesley , and kobe played good and we still lose
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
fafan wrote:
nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Depends what the leader mean.
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

stop stop stop, people...
assuming if that was not Lin in that situation, instead Young, or Wayne or anyone else, that would be just a dumb play by the lakers and end of the story a while ago...
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
Thanks DB.

Mad Chinaman, the problem was the coach's decision. Lin follows the coach, plain and simple, he doesn't go against what the coach said. Byron clearly stated he told Kobe it was his judgment to wait to foul so Kobe went against the coach's instruction to the team. I agree with Kobe by the way, but Byron is the coach.

The problem on that defensive play was Lin not the coach. BS is allowing them to play and make decisions for themselves. It was a common sense decision. You are down 1 with 24.7 secs left and the opposing team has the ball. Go for a quick steal and then foul immediately. It's not that difficult.

Don't make excuses for Lin or any other player. He has to learn. This is what separates a good player from a great one. Players who can think out the game for themselves help produce wins.

Scott was allowing them to play? He was ACTIVELY TELLING LIN NOT TO FOUL AS THE PLAY WAS HAPPENING. Lin is a bench player with a short leash. He wants to play. Do you think it's a good idea for a bench player with a short leash to ignore the coach actively telling him what to do if he wants more minutes in the future? Lin isn't Kobe. Kobe can do whatever he wants and he will play major minutes because he's one of the greatest to ever play the game.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
Thanks DB.

Mad Chinaman, the problem was the coach's decision. Lin follows the coach, plain and simple, he doesn't go against what the coach said. Byron clearly stated he told Kobe it was his judgment to wait to foul so Kobe went against the coach's instruction to the team. I agree with Kobe by the way, but Byron is the coach.

The problem on that defensive play was Lin not the coach. BS is allowing them to play and make decisions for themselves. It was a common sense decision. You are down 1 with 24.7 secs left and the opposing team has the ball. Go for a quick steal and then foul immediately. It's not that difficult.

Don't make excuses for Lin or any other player. He has to learn. This is what separates a good player from a great one. Players who can think out the game for themselves help produce wins.

Scott was allowing them to play? He was ACTIVELY TELLING LIN NOT TO FOUL AS THE PLAY WAS HAPPENING. Lin is a bench player with a short leash. He wants to play. Do you think it's a good idea for a bench player with a short leash to ignore the coach actively telling him what to do if he wants more minutes in the future? Lin isn't Kobe. Kobe can do whatever he wants and he will play major minutes because he's one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Kobe can easily get Scott fired. So keep Kobe happy is BS' s major task.
Anthony Peeler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
webattorney wrote:
Don't make excuses for BS. BS is the coach, and as a coach, he failed big time to give the right command. That's what BS gets paid for.

nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
Thanks DB.

No, the players lost this game.

Ed Davis missed a pivotal free throw which would have tied the game. Lin blew two defensive assignments late and gave up three pointers on both possessions. Not to mention, looked like a naive high school player at the end of the game asking the coach what to do. No one told him NOT to go for a steal and foul (he was closest person to the ball). You blame the coach when the players were put in positions to have multiple opportunities to win.

BS and Kobe have both been making adjustments to make this team better, like great basketball minds would. You want to blame the coach but ignore the obvious learning curve of some of these younger players.

LOL, BS a great basketball mind?! You lost me here.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
Thanks DB.

The problem is that the PG did not know what to do and discussed it at the last TO. The situation was very predictable. A good PG would know what to do or what the HC wanted to do.

So the possible scenarios for the confusion are the following
• Situation was not discussed
• JLin did not bring it up
• Kobe did not bring it up
• None of the coaches brought it up
• BScott changed his mind
• Kobe changed his mind

To just let the clock run without pressuring the ball because BScott was trying to save a TO (can somebody expand on that explanation since I can't figure out the logic) is not winning basketball.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject:

I forgot to note that Stu couldn't contain his laughter seeing the Lakers starting the first possession of the game by calling an isolation postup for Hill against Gasol (the DPOY).
webattorney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
fafan wrote:
nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Kobe is the PG.
swoosh-it
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject:

WT* are we talking about BS's dumb instructions. The game was lost in the 3rd period. Should be talking about the coach or lack of. Kobe was doing fine. Not hogging as much as usual. Though, the 4th final minutes is always too predictable. Kobe hitting a second 3 based on current percentages doesn't look good anyday. Close though. Lin had a good game. Should have listened to "PG" Kobe (who shouldn't play PG anymore. Close and exciting game. Be happy if they play like this all games.

Again, dam, why isn't Ed and Lin rolling? Easy strategy. Anyone?
swoosh-it
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject:

webattorney wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
fafan wrote:
nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Kobe is the PG.

Don't forget, he's the real "coach"
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

swoosh-it wrote:
webattorney wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
fafan wrote:
nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Kobe is the PG.
Indecision in a very predictable situation is not a way to get important minutes. It appears that JLin has NO idea when to foul
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject:

If every other guy on the team need to second guess the coach's in-game decisions, why do they even have the coach?
laserboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:

BRICK wrote:
why everyone so delusional, it's not like lin took the final shot, kobe did.
he misses and blames lin so everyone agrees? it's not like kobe passed lin the ball in the final 3-4minutes even though he was shooting the best on the team last night

doesn't look good when star player kobe doesn't trust chinaman down the stretch even if he's shooting lights out.

Although a fellow LG member has the word "chinaman" in their screen name, the way you have used it is racist, or at the very least, insensitive.
Moonknight
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
swoosh-it wrote:
webattorney wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
fafan wrote:
nshid wrote:
bws94 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Kobe is the PG.
Indecision in a very predictable situation is not a way to get important minutes. It appears that JLin has NO idea when to foul

I think you are confusing Lin with BS. Lin knew when to foul, Scott didn't.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: