With Houston's 2015 Pick the Lakers Select...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I really like George Lucas. see him as a ball dominant SG. He's really got a nice handle. Also good slashing instincts, finding lanes, saw a nice euro step. Like the mechanics on his jumper. Thick body, 7'1 wingspan, 6'5.
uh, i really like him.

It's probably a bad thing to do, but i can get hung up on comparisons. This kid projects in the Harden mold

I've only seen the video on draft express but his lack of athleticism is concerning. I agree that he projects as a shooting guard at the next level also but I'm not sure he will ever be starting material. I don't see him going in the first round.

He has a good first step and average vert. He's still just 18.

I can't imagine him at SG, only because SGs are more likely to match his height and wingspan advantage and neutralize them.

At PG, he is just quick enough, but with massive hands and wingspan, can protect the ball better and use his skills for playmaking. He'll always have that advantage at PG.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I really like George Lucas. see him as a ball dominant SG. He's really got a nice handle. Also good slashing instincts, finding lanes, saw a nice euro step. Like the mechanics on his jumper. Thick body, 7'1 wingspan, 6'5.
uh, i really like him.

It's probably a bad thing to do, but i can get hung up on comparisons. This kid projects in the Harden mold

I've only seen the video on draft express but his lack of athleticism is concerning. I agree that he projects as a shooting guard at the next level also but I'm not sure he will ever be starting material. I don't see him going in the first round.

I can't imagine him at SG, only because SGs are more likely to match his height and wingspan advantage and neutralize them.

At PG, he is just quick enough, but with massive hands and wingspan, can protect the ball better and use his skills for playmaking. He'll always have that advantage at PG.

It concerns me when PGs his size are turnover prone, at least without it being the tradeoff for a ton assists. He's gifted with passing angles that aren't available to others, so if he's still not looking good in terms of A:TO, that worries me.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
uh, i really like him.

It concerns me when PGs his size are turnover prone, at least without it being the tradeoff for a ton assists. He's gifted with passing angles that aren't available to others, so if he's still not looking good in terms of A:TO, that worries me.

Very fair. I think he's an 18 year old project with limited experience. With those physical tools, I'd consider giving him a pass, depending on who is left at the draft position.

Some of those dribble combination moves are rare to find, and it'll only get easier for him as he grows into his body.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
uh, i really like him.

Very fair. I think he's an 18 year old project with limited experience. With those physical tools, I'd consider giving him a pass, depending on who is left at the draft position.

Some of those dribble combination moves are rare to find, and it'll only get easier for him as he grows into his body.

I like the kid but I just think he should be taken in the second round and stashed away for a few years. I'm not really sure why he's projected as a late first round pick and kris done is projected as a second or not at all on most boards. I feel like Dunn is one of those guys the Spurs or thunder get as a steal and everyone wonders how they missed out on the guy. He looks like a star in the making.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
uh, i really like him.

I like the kid but I just think he should be taken in the second round and stashed away for a few years. I'm not really sure why he's projected as a late first round pick and kris done is projected as a second or not at all on most boards. I feel like Dunn is one of those guys the Spurs or thunder get as a steal and everyone wonders how they missed out on the guy. He looks like a star in the making.

I really like Kris Dunn. He has developed his game well.

But sometimes, the draft is going for the home run, finding a guy that can do things at the position that no one else can do. Most of that is athleticism. Sometimes it's with size.

I just imagine a PG defender with average shooting ability, but good playmaking and ball-control. That's a big ask in the modern NBA.

fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I keep seeing Justin Anderson in the early 20's range. If he's there with the Houston pick he'd be a big land. He has a great frame with almost a 7ft wingspan that helps him get into passing lanes and block shots on help defense. He's an ideal SF that would take a lot of pressure off of Kobe next year and develop into a slashing D and 3 guy and be a starter for years to come.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Thoughts on Domantas Sabonis? He seems to put up solid numbers off the bench for Gonzaga as a freshman, but I don't know if he's declaring this year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Thoughts on Domantas Sabonis? He seems to put up solid numbers off the bench for Gonzaga as a freshman, but I don't know if he's declaring this year.

I don't expect him to declare this year.

Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject:

I think Dakari Johnson will surprise a lot of people. Can come off the bench for 15 to 20 mins his rookie year. Good rebounder with great size, someone you can run your offense through when the starters are out. Will eventually get in better shape with NBA trainers, very underrated player. He also has great chemistry with Randle, both started and complimented eachother well on their championship run.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
uh, i really like him.

I really like Kris Dunn. He has developed his game well.

But sometimes, the draft is going for the home run, finding a guy that can do things at the position that no one else can do. Most of that is athleticism. Sometimes it's with size.

I just imagine a PG defender with average shooting ability, but good playmaking and ball-control. That's a big ask in the modern NBA.

If he can really play pg at the next level thats a whole other story and I would take him in the first round. If his lateral quickness is good enough he will cause problems for every single pg in the NBA. Good size, 7'1 wingspan and lateral quickness is a player I would create In a video game. It wouldn't be fair.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject:

Lots of talented bigs in the draft.

Lots of strong combo guards.

Not as many wings.

lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Towns or Russell with the lottery selection.
Dakari or Hollis-Johnson/Levert with the Houston pick
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
Towns or Russell with the lottery selection.
Dakari or Hollis-Johnson/Levert with the Houston pick

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject:

Haven't watched much of Hollis-Jefferson, only going by scouting videos and box scores-is Mbah a Moute a good comparison?
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject:

I like our options with the 25th pick as well. I think the best pick here is Tyus Jones, if he's available. Jones is being docked for being too short, unathletic and not scoring-oriented enough, but I think he's in the 15-21 range talent-wise, so if we get him at 25th, that would be great. Even though Jones might be a dynamite scorer, he's an excellent shooter who draws fouls and hits threes, and is an excellent passer with incredible poise for a freshman. He's a born leader, and O-RPM also bears that out. And on defense, his DRPM rates as pretty decent for a point guard, as well--there are a lot more ballhandling guard prospects who put up worse numbers. He's a Duke product, and Duke products have been fairly mediocre, but I think Jones has tools on both ends, and will be underrated especially if we can nab him with our late first rounder. Towns and Tyus Jones would be a great get for us.

George Alves De Paula from Brazil is someone who really interests me. I have the guy pegged 17th. The guy is an excellent 2-point shooter, and racks up steals and blocks in the competition he faces, and is also a good rebounder. Reasonable foul shooter as well. He's almost like Delon Wright without the passing ability, but at only age 19 compared to Wright's 22, he's a gamble I'd really like to take. There's a lot of talent here, for sure, and if he's there at the 25th pick I'm easily jumping. It's almost like Antetokounmpo, IMO.

If Gary Payton II enters this draft, I think he's a steal at the 25th spot as well. He's an absolute beast of a defender, with the best defensive RPM among all ballhandling guards in college (not unlike his dad "The Glove"), and he's elite at getting rebounds, getting into passing lanes and even blocking shots. He's a defensive machismo in every sense of the word, and if defense ever gets noticed, this guy is easily a first round pick. I have him in the 18th spot, but RPM loves him even more--at 5th. I see him as a combo guard, and his offensive impact is poor for guard standards--while he's effective at hitting 2-point shots, he doesn't draw fouls or take (or hit) threes, and his shot in general is a question mark. So on offense he might be a problem, especially for a position that needs punch. But he plays the other end so well, that even if he really hurts on offense, it might be worth investing.

Rondae Hollis Jefferson is another good pick here--excellent defender for a wing player, good rebounder, draws fouls. Good athlete. He has zero offensive gravity in the perimeter because he can't and won't shoot from outside, but unlike GPIII, it's less damning at the SF position if you can't shoot.

I also don't mind getting Jerian Grant with that pick--I suspect he'll be available, because he spent four years in college. The guy is another 6'5" legit PG who really amped up his steals and two-point percentages in his upperclassman years, can really pass the rock and play the entire length of the court. He's a far better offensive player than defensive player (in fact is a negative on this end), so he doesn't rate favorably in cumulative RPM, but he's an interesting player with tricks on both ends.

Honorable mention with this pick: Justin Anderson.
Irie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

Justin Anderson or Terran Petteway. Both can score and shoot the 3. I feel like Anderson is rising up draft boards. Might be snatched just before we get him. Petteway though. Just aggressive on both sides of the ball. Not a passer but definitely a scorer. Watch him. Just a berserk kind of player. Would definitely snatch Him up with our 2nd first round pick.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject:

jorkerjork wrote:
I like our options with the 25th pick as well. I think the best pick here is Tyus Jones, if he's available. Jones is being docked for being too short, unathletic and not scoring-oriented enough, but I think he's in the 15-21 range talent-wise, so if we get him at 25th, that would be great. Even though Jones might be a dynamite scorer, he's an excellent shooter who draws fouls and hits threes, and is an excellent passer with incredible poise for a freshman. He's a born leader, and O-RPM also bears that out. And on defense, his DRPM rates as pretty decent for a point guard, as well--there are a lot more ballhandling guard prospects who put up worse numbers. He's a Duke product, and Duke products have been fairly mediocre, but I think Jones has tools on both ends, and will be underrated especially if we can nab him with our late first rounder. Towns and Tyus Jones would be a great get for us.

George Alves De Paula from Brazil is someone who really interests me. I have the guy pegged 17th. The guy is an excellent 2-point shooter, and racks up steals and blocks in the competition he faces, and is also a good rebounder. Reasonable foul shooter as well. He's almost like Delon Wright without the passing ability, but at only age 19 compared to Wright's 22, he's a gamble I'd really like to take. There's a lot of talent here, for sure, and if he's there at the 25th pick I'm easily jumping. It's almost like Antetokounmpo, IMO.

If Gary Payton II enters this draft, I think he's a steal at the 25th spot as well. He's an absolute beast of a defender, with the best defensive RPM among all ballhandling guards in college (not unlike his dad "The Glove"), and he's elite at getting rebounds, getting into passing lanes and even blocking shots. He's a defensive machismo in every sense of the word, and if defense ever gets noticed, this guy is easily a first round pick. I have him in the 18th spot, but RPM loves him even more--at 5th. I see him as a combo guard, and his offensive impact is poor for guard standards--while he's effective at hitting 2-point shots, he doesn't draw fouls or take (or hit) threes, and his shot in general is a question mark. So on offense he might be a problem, especially for a position that needs punch. But he plays the other end so well, that even if he really hurts on offense, it might be worth investing.

Rondae Hollis Jefferson is another good pick here--excellent defender for a wing player, good rebounder, draws fouls. Good athlete. He has zero offensive gravity in the perimeter because he can't and won't shoot from outside, but unlike GPIII, it's less damning at the SF position if you can't shoot.

I also don't mind getting Jerian Grant with that pick--I suspect he'll be available, because he spent four years in college. The guy is another 6'5" legit PG who really amped up his steals and two-point percentages in his upperclassman years, can really pass the rock and play the entire length of the court. He's a far better offensive player than defensive player (in fact is a negative on this end), so he doesn't rate favorably in cumulative RPM, but he's an interesting player with tricks on both ends.

YEEEESSSS. 6'5 ,thick frame, supremely skilled off the dribble, good looking form on the jumper. I'm all in on him, i like him at SG personally, ball dominant SG..
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

jorkerjork wrote:

Agreed with Payton III. I think there's a bit of a red flag for Hollis Jefferson. As much as I love him as an athlete and defender, it's tough for him just to get his jumpshot off.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
jorkerjork wrote:

Agreed with Payton III. I think there's a bit of a red flag for Hollis Jefferson. As much as I love him as an athlete and defender, it's tough for him just to get his jumpshot off.

Maybe he needs to do that shimmy shake before his jump shots too 😂
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
jorkerjork wrote:

Maybe he needs to do that shimmy shake before his jump shots too 😂

It would still take too long to get that shot off.

JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Malik Pope. Chad Ford keeps saying he's going to come out.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jerian-Grant-vs-Kris-Dunn-Video-Analysis-4818

Kris Dunn vs. Jerian Grant.

I'll take either or George Lucus with the late 1st rounder.

Can we just call George Lucus, Star Wars?

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jerian-Grant-vs-Kris-Dunn-Video-Analysis-4818

how do you feel about Tyus Jones?

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I think VERY VERY VERY HIGHLY of him. It should be unfair that Duke has the highest IQ PG and C in the nation.

I'm concerned about his size/strength/athleticism. Otherwise, he does ALL of the right plays. Pull up, putting defense on their heels, PnR plays, post entry passing, etc.

But I want Jerian Grant, Kris Dunn, or Star Wars ahead of him. Tyus would have been the perfect triangle PG.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I think VERY VERY VERY HIGHLY of him. It should be unfair that Duke has the highest IQ PG and C in the nation.

I'm concerned about his size/strength/athleticism. Otherwise, he does ALL of the right plays. Pull up, putting defense on their heels, PnR plays, post entry passing, etc.

But I want Jerian Grant, Kris Dunn, or Star Wars ahead of him. Tyus would have been the perfect triangle PG.

if Tyus slipped to the 2nd round I think he's a definite guy to get with that pick.

If we got Grant, Dunn, Star Wars or fingers crossed, LeVert with the Houston pick that would be my ideal set up, though LeVert still may go higher, I hope he isn't, if Tyus is available by the 2nd round at our pick it'd be a crime to NOT take him. But lots would have to fall our way.

Though something tells me if the Lakers landed Okafor, Caris Levert and Tyus Jones in the same draft you'd 'Kobe face' for about a month.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: