With Houston's 2015 Pick the Lakers Select...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jerian-Grant-vs-Kris-Dunn-Video-Analysis-4818

Kris Dunn vs. Jerian Grant.

I'll take either or George Lucus with the late 1st rounder.

Can we just call George Lucus, Star Wars?

how do you feel about Tyus Jones?

I think VERY VERY VERY HIGHLY of him. It should be unfair that Duke has the highest IQ PG and C in the nation.

I'm concerned about his size/strength/athleticism. Otherwise, he does ALL of the right plays. Pull up, putting defense on their heels, PnR plays, post entry passing, etc.

But I want Jerian Grant, Kris Dunn, or Star Wars ahead of him. Tyus would have been the perfect triangle PG.

if Tyus slipped to the 2nd round I think he's a definite guy to get with that pick.

If we got Grant, Dunn, Star Wars or fingers crossed, LeVert with the Houston pick that would be my ideal set up, though LeVert still may go higher, I hope he isn't, if Tyus is available by the 2nd round at our pick it'd be a crime to NOT take him. But lots would have to fall our way.

Though something tells me if the Lakers landed Okafor, Caris Levert and Tyus Jones in the same draft you'd 'Kobe face' for about a month.

That would be Okafor, Levert, and Grant.

Can you imagine what Kobe can teach Levert AND Grant? We won't outshoot the Warriors, but my goodness there would be speed, passing, and length all over the floor.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jerian-Grant-vs-Kris-Dunn-Video-Analysis-4818

I think VERY VERY VERY HIGHLY of him. It should be unfair that Duke has the highest IQ PG and C in the nation.

I'm concerned about his size/strength/athleticism. Otherwise, he does ALL of the right plays. Pull up, putting defense on their heels, PnR plays, post entry passing, etc.

But I want Jerian Grant, Kris Dunn, or Star Wars ahead of him. Tyus would have been the perfect triangle PG.

if Tyus slipped to the 2nd round I think he's a definite guy to get with that pick.

If we got Grant, Dunn, Star Wars or fingers crossed, LeVert with the Houston pick that would be my ideal set up, though LeVert still may go higher, I hope he isn't, if Tyus is available by the 2nd round at our pick it'd be a crime to NOT take him. But lots would have to fall our way.

Though something tells me if the Lakers landed Okafor, Caris Levert and Tyus Jones in the same draft you'd 'Kobe face' for about a month.

Can you imagine what Kobe can teach Levert AND Grant? We won't outshoot the Warriors, but my goodness there would be speed, passing, and length all over the floor.

That is something that could work, the hard part would be either LeVert or Grant falling to the 2nd round(LeVert most likely would if he missed the combine and didn't work out for teams) but I don't see why he wouldn't. He 'has' been falling lately though. If Houston starts losing they could land Grant if Houston fell to 7th but that's wishful, but one can hope.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That is something that could work, the hard part would be either LeVert or Grant falling to the 2nd round(LeVert most likely would if he missed the combine and didn't work out for teams) but I don't see why he wouldn't. He 'has' been falling lately though. If Houston starts losing they could land Grant if Houston fell to 7th but that's wishful, but one can hope.

It won't happen.

I just like the idea of 3 big, triple threat guards who can run pick and roll.

Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

It won't happen.

I just like the idea of 3 big, triple threat guards who can run pick and roll.

We could still have that with Russell, Clarkson, and Kobe.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Grant is roughly 6'5" with a 6'10" wingspan and 220lbs.

Levert is roughly 6'5" with a 7'1" wingspan (estimated)

Clarkson is roughly 6'4" with a 6'8"+ wingspan.

It's a different dimension in height and length altogether, nevermind speed and strength.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

It's a different dimension in height and length altogether, nevermind speed and strength.

True, but where Clarkson likely has them both is probably speed and athleticism.

But I think Clarkson could work with Levert or Grant. Russell and Clarkson maybe but ultimately if I want Clarkson as anything next year it'd likely be as backup scoring point guard. Unless during the 2nd half of this season he improves upon what he's already doing, which I'd welcome but am not going to expect 1005.

landing Jerian Grant and Caris LeVert is impossible UNLESS the Lakers gambled and took LeVert top 5. If they wound up with the 5th pick and Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, Russell went first.. and they had to decide basically between WCS and Stanley Johnson, it would not surprise me if LeVert impressed them enough in workouts that they shock everyone and get him. But that injury could wind up too big a risk for them to take in that scenario.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Delon Wright vs. Tyrone Wallace.

Wallace looked good out there.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Or even scarier length, with A LOT of luck.

Any combination of Okafor, Towns, or WCS

Then:
Levert 6'5", 7'1" wingspan
Star Wars 6'5" 7'1" wingspan

Payton II (Doesn't matter because he gets 3 steals and 1 block per game as a guard at 6'3, 175., so probably 6'10" wingspan.)

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject:

I'd go with LeVert, more proven imo. Don't know where Star Wars goes.

But I honestly do like what I'm seeing from Clarkson and wouldn't draft 3 guards to supplement him. Okafor, LeVert would be fine picks.

Grant I think is gonna wind up in OKC or even maybe Charlotte.

But it depends where we land as well. IF we landed 4th, we may have to go with Towns. But Towns, LeVert and Tyus would be solid gets. Strictly because Clarkson can go to backup 2 and Young could be backup 3. All that means is the log jam between Black, Davis and Kelly, particularly if Randle is starting. But that's all dependent.

We'll truly have an idea after draft day, but I try as much not to focus too much on wingspan and body as opposed to their overall game. Star Wars would likely be a 2nd round pick or even a late first round pick, but I'd still take Jones over him imo if he(Jones) was available.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QO4GeZj72X4 Here's a full George Lucas game from this summer. U18 Brazil/DR. He's #14 in white
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:

But I honestly do like what I'm seeing from Clarkson and wouldn't draft 3 guards to supplement him. Okafor, LeVert would be fine picks.

Don't think of it as "best fit around current talent."

Otherwise, the Lakers skip drafting Kobe because they had two All Stars in Eddie Jones and NVE.

Think of it as adding talent and depth. It builds team identity.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Star Wars would likely be a 2nd round pick or even a late first round pick, but I'd still take Jones over him imo if he(Jones) was available.

I'm waiting for workouts about Tyus Jones' measurements.

But the idea of having a doberman backcourt with Star Wars and Gary Payton II is an intriguing one, especially with that kind of length and lateral movement along the perimeter.

Feed them straight into Okafor, Towns, or WCS.

I just like the idea of a PG and a SG that can put severe defensive pressure along the perimeter without having to body up the guards. All length and lateral quicks.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Star Wars would likely be a 2nd round pick or even a late first round pick, but I'd still take Jones over him imo if he(Jones) was available.

But the idea of having a doberman backcourt with Star Wars and Gary Payton II is an intriguing one, especially with that kind of length and lateral movement along the perimeter.

I just like the idea of a PG and a SG that can put severe defensive pressure along the perimeter without having to body up the guards. All length and lateral quicks.

That sounds like it could work. Clarkson can put pressure on backups as well as he seems the quintessential scoring 1 or 2 off the bench.

I wouldn't be mad at a Clarkson / LeVert/ Nick Young

bench

I also wouldn't be mad at a

Tyus Jones / Clarkson / Nick Young

bench either.

I think ultimately that the Lakers could land 4th in this draft and I think Towns is the guy that will be available there

So their draft could go

Towns
LeVert

And then in free agency I'm very sure they'll go after maxing Dragic despite what Kupchak says.

So then this lineup next year a possibility I guess

Goran Dragic
Kobe Bryant
(Small Forward)
Julius Randle
Karl Towns

Bench:
Jordan Clarkson
Caris LeVert
Nick Young
Tarik Black / Ryan Kelly
Ed Davis

I wouldn't hate that to be honest. We just need a strong small forward. Had we landed Dragic at the deadline we could have went and overpaid Tobias Harris and THEN we'd have something even more.

What do you think?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Start Kobe at SF and Clarkson at SG.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Start Kobe at SF and Clarkson at SG.

That's a pretty good idea actually. Kobe is gonna play mid post at the 3 anyway. He may need to work to have more of a 3 point shot but still mid post and 3 is effective for him.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject:

Kobe is not going to be able to defend SFs and it will be tough on him offensively because of the size and length. I really want Brimah or Upshaw with the Rockets pick. Develop them like the Jazz are with Gobert. Durant's not coming I think it's time to get our SF of the future.

I prefer Brimah over Levert and Grant, I think his upside is much higher. Levert defense and frail frame concerns me. Grant is just a scoring PG.

Clarkson
Kobe
Stanley
Randle
Robin Lopez/Brimah
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Kobe is not going to be able to defend SFs and it will be tough on him offensively because of the size and length. I really want Brimah or Upshaw with the Rockets pick. Develop them like the Jazz are with Gobert. Durant's not coming I think it's time to get our SF of the future.

I prefer Brimah over Levert and Grant, I think his upside is much higher. Levert defense and frail frame concerns me. Grant is just a scoring PG.

Clarkson
Kobe
Stanley
Randle
Robin Lopez/Brimah

That's not much different at SG, where everyone is quicker.

Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject:

If Kobe plays SF next year were in a lot of trouble. It also will hurt his game offensively, players defending him with length will make it tough on him.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Caris Levert is my pick, could be a steal considering his injury. I see him listed at 6ft 7inches on multiple sights though. My mouth waters at a Towns/Levert draft...Trade the second rounders if you can, or bring in a Sacre type big man.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I've seen a very underdog team, under budget too, dominate europian basketball because they put that type of defensive pressure on the opposition at pg, sg, sf for almost the entire game.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
If Kobe plays SF next year were in a lot of trouble. It also will hurt his game offensively, players defending him with length will make it tough on him.

how we do next year is borderline meaningless next to securing the best possible talent for when we actually have a chance to compete for an nba title.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject:

I think LeVert will be available. I don't think Wright or Grant will be.

Tyus Jones will be and now Kaminsky may be.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject:

What type of protection does Houston have on this pick?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
What type of protection does Houston have on this pick?

if they make the playoffs we get it, if they don't they do.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

Clarkson
Kobe
Stanley
Randle
Robin Lopez/Brimah

I've been watching footage on Upshaw and he's just a talented big, mobile and quick off his feet for a man that size, very fluid running the court. He has off the court issues but his potential is immense in the second round. If we go guard and wing heavy in the 1st we need to get this guy in the second and see if we can develop him on the court and off.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: