LAKERS -at- CLIPPERS - 1-7-15 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject:

13th Man wrote:
It's always Lin's fault with BS. LOL. If only Price could have been there we would have won.

I'm tired of him passing the buck. He didn't have the team ready to play offense or defense. The game wasn't out of hand at the end of the first half and his locker room false machismo of "manning up" doesn't replace defensive adjustments and coming up with real offensive schemes that should have been practiced beforehand.
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject:

BREAKING NEWS: Lakers lose again!

JLinfanJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

Overall, I'd say just burn the game tape and move onto the next game.

Also like to note that the previous Portland game was 15 games after the Price Davis change for defensive purposes after Celtics game, and Cleveland game will be 20 games. Anyone got any updated defensive, offensive, and advanced stats for the new line up?

IIRC, as of a few games ago the new lineup was still last in the league in terms of defensive rating and points per game, and schedule was nothing like the brutal 15 - 20 games Lakers opened with in November, and team won loss record was still only 6 - 9:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/lal/schedule/

Quote:
Lakers 6 VICTORIES in last 15 games before Clippers game:

Win against Kings (neither Price nor Lin on floor late in fourth quarter): http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20141209&game=SACLAL

Win against Spurs (Lakers up by 9 when Byron Scott when Lin pulled from game with 2 minutes left): http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20141212&game=LALSAS

Win against Wolves (Lakers up significantly in fourth when Lin benched): http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20141214&game=LALMIN

Win against Warriors (Lakers without Kobe steam rolled Warriors like Clippers steam rolled Lakers yesterday): http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20141223&game=GSWLAL

Win against Nuggets (Lakers were leading in fourth quarter when Lin pulled; this was game looked so great, for whole game, running the team): http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20141230&game=LALDEN

Win against Pacers (Lin played entire fourth quarter, except for last play of game, where Price was put in for defensive purposes on that one play): http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20150104&game=INDLAL

Quote:
Lakers NEAR MISSES during 15 game run above:

Last shot loss to OKC (Lin on floor whole fourth quarter; "I like game winners game" quote): http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20141219&game=OKCLAL

Dallas game (Lin looked like he had tremendous command and control of second unit): http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20141226&game=LALDAL

Last Suns game (Lin allowed to counter punch with second unit after Suns surge late in third quarter): http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20141228&game=PHOLAL

Last near miss against Grizzlies (Lin played entire fourth quarter): http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20150102&game=MEMLAL

Lin team won loss record as starter / closer for Rockets last year: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=6086931

(my post at bottom of page 25 of this thread)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/02/18/jeremy-lin-s-high-school-coach-recalls-a-star-on-the-rise.html

http://vikingsportsmag.com/uncategorized/2012/04/20/roots-of-resilience-jeremy-lins-past-foreshadows-his-future/

Last edited by JLinfanJoe on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:25 am; edited 6 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:

The chances of Lin choosing to stay as a Laker are slim. He and Scott, oil and water.
nestle
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Revealing observations by the pundits

• curious on why these Lakers having problems of consistently bringing EFT (Effort, Focus and Toughness) to every game.
(Is this surprising from a team that admits it was not up to play on Christmas Day)

• JLin and Swaggy were disappointing because they are veterans that know what is required to play in the NBA

• Wish JLim was more aggressive
Q
Are we surprised that the team (with the added focus on JLin and Swaggy) is consistent or not surprised because their play is confirming where they are currently at as players

let's just ignore the fact kobe pretty much turned it over 15+times in a row
bricking 10 shots and 5 turnovers, (possible 45pts) giving them what? 50 point lead? but nevermind that lets just blame 2 other players for not being able to pull through and carry the team, even though 1 pretty much played half the game + those minutes being garbage time. But I understand you don't want to get banned if you bring up kobe from these kobe only fan moderators. . and I'm pretty sure jeremy can't be aggressive without the ball, considering his role is to give the ball to kobe, kobe good pg facilitator 7 ast having the ball in his hand the whole time
heineken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject:

nestle wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

• curious on why these Lakers having problems of consistently bringing EFT (Effort, Focus and Toughness) to every game.
(Is this surprising from a team that admits it was not up to play on Christmas Day)

• JLin and Swaggy were disappointing because they are veterans that know what is required to play in the NBA

Q
Are we surprised that the team (with the added focus on JLin and Swaggy) is consistent or not surprised because their play is confirming where they are currently at as players

bricking 10 shots and 5 turnovers, (possible 45pts) giving them what? 50 point lead? but nevermind that lets just blame 2 other players for not being able to pull through and carry the team, even though 1 pretty much played half the game + those minutes being garbage time. But I understand you don't want to get banned if you bring up kobe from these kobe only fan moderators. . and I'm pretty sure jeremy can't be aggressive without the ball, considering his role is to give the ball to kobe, kobe good pg facilitator 7 ast having the ball in his hand the whole time

This is what your going to say for a first post? Really? .... Really? ...Really?
Oh and math of 15 turnovers = 10 missed shots and 5 turnovers = 45 points. Sorry I almost stepped in your post. I will be walking around them from now on. (IF there are any more.
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

heineken wrote:
nestle wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Q

This is what your going to say for a first post? Really? .... Really? ...Really?
Oh and math of 15 turnovers = 10 missed shots and 5 turnovers = 45 points. Sorry I almost stepped in your post. I will be walking around them from now on. (IF there are any more.

Rookie mistakes
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

JLinfanJoe wrote:

Also like to note that the previous Portland game was 15 games after the Price Davis change for defensive purposes after Celtics game, and Cleveland game will be 20 games. Anyone got any updated defensive, offensive, and advanced stats for the new line up?

IIRC, as of a few games ago the new lineup was still last in the league in terms of defensive rating and points per game, and schedule was nothing like the brutal 15 - 20 games Lakers opened with in November, and team won loss record was still only 6 - 9:

Yesterday BEFORE this game shared his goals for this team - be competitive and entertaining. Since the lineup change, he was counting the "bad" losses and could only identify a few since most of them were against good teams with better records and talent.

Opposing teams know that (outside of Kobe), the only legitimate dependable offensive threats (comparatively) are Swaggy and JLin - hence they are/have been scouted. They have not made the adjustments to show they are more than bench players.

Did Kobe have a bad game, yes. Did Kobe try to be effective in other parts of his game, yes (look at his rebounds and assists, despite other players missing tons of shots). Was Kobe not playing tight D, yes (but if the bigs are not protecting the paint - isn't the preference is make them shooting jump shots instead of layups.

JLIn does have talent to play in the NBA, but does he deserve to be a starter and to close games with an elite team - or at least a flash of brilliance, not yet. He is the PG and BScott is not calling out plays. For those that say it is the system (that CP3 thrived on), look at how Clarkson (when he was playing PG, was bringing up the ball fast (not walking the ball up) and attacking - supposedly JLin's strength. He was rarely aggressive during garbage time, did not set the tone and his game as PG was an egg that the entire team followed. Every game seems to add to the knowledge that he is not able to create against most of PGs in the Western Conference that is laden with great players at that position while not having yet the ability to effectively use screens

Swaggy needs to adjust on teams are now playing him. His bad string of bad shooting nights should make him realize that he needs to expand his game so to adjust how he is being defended. There is also a need to make an impact with other parts of his game such as rebounds, defense and assists. His energy and influence in the game disappeared as opposing teams stuffed him while no other players were able to fill the void.

Are JLin and Swaggy better than what we have seen so far or are we seeing what JLin and Swaggy really are - since they are veterans.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

nestle wrote:

If a moderator suspends you, don't come back with a new username and then call out mods.
JLinfanJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"Yesterday BEFORE this game shared his goals for this team - be competitive and entertaining."

That comment was written after that wonderful and highly competitive near miss game against the Grizzlies at Staples Center recently.

If Lakers had performed like that yesterday, the same sentiment would apply after this game, too.

Yesterday's game was just a don't even review the tape and move on game.

Lakers just laid a turd yesterday.

(and for all the complaints about Lakers defense yesterday, if they can't hit a reasonable number of outside jump shots to start game, there is not going to be anywhere for Lin Davis pnr, or anyone else to get near rim. Lakers also only scored 15 points in third quarter, when it looked to me that Byron Scott instructed team to just try and pound the ball inside near rim, and kept getting blocked and triggering transition for Clippers: http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400578826) Poor shooting from the perimeter has been an issue from start of this season, especially for a team that wants to run the Princeton Offense.

Last edited by JLinfanJoe on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Shaqtin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
JLinfanJoe wrote:

Yesterday BEFORE this game shared his goals for this team - be competitive and entertaining. Since the lineup change, he was counting the "bad" losses and could only identify a few since most of them were against good teams with better records and talent.

Opposing teams know that (outside of Kobe), the only legitimate dependable offensive threats (comparatively) are Swaggy and JLin - hence they are/have been scouted. They have not made the adjustments to show they are more than bench players.

Did Kobe have a bad game, yes. Did Kobe try to be effective in other parts of his game, yes (look at his rebounds and assists, despite other players missing tons of shots). Was Kobe not playing tight D, yes (but if the bigs are not protecting the paint - isn't the preference is make them shooting jump shots instead of layups.

JLIn does have talent to play in the NBA, but does he deserve to be a starter and to close games with an elite team - or at least a flash of brilliance, not yet. He is the PG and BScott is not calling out plays. For those that say it is the system (that CP3 thrived on), look at how Clarkson (when he was playing PG, was bringing up the ball fast (not walking the ball up) and attacking - supposedly JLin's strength. He was rarely aggressive during garbage time, did not set the tone and his game as PG was an egg that the entire team followed. Every game seems to add to the knowledge that he is not able to create against most of PGs in the Western Conference that is laden with great players at that position while not having yet the ability to effectively use screens

Swaggy needs to adjust on teams are now playing him. His bad string of bad shooting nights should make him realize that he needs to expand his game so to adjust how he is being defended. There is also a need to make an impact with other parts of his game such as rebounds, defense and assists. His energy and influence in the game disappeared as opposing teams stuffed him while no other players were able to fill the void.

Are JLin and Swaggy better than what we have seen so far or are we seeing what JLin and Swaggy really are - since they are veterans.

Lin a veteran? He only been in the league for at best 3 years. D - League rookie year and injured 2nd year. 2 complete years in Houston.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

JLinfanJoe wrote:
Quote:
"Yesterday BEFORE this game shared his goals for this team - be competitive and entertaining."

That comment was written after that wonderful and highly competitive near miss game against the Grizzlies at Staples Center recently, too.

If Lakers had performed like that yesterday, the same sentiment would apply after this game.

Yesterday's game was just a don't even review the tape and move on game.

Lakers just laid a turd yesterday.

I'm OK with them laying a turd. The team has been competitive and entertaining in recent games, even beating the NBA's top team. However, I'm annoyed with Byron's lack of ownership in some of this. The best coaches say I have to step it up, I was outcoached and as a team, improvements needs to start with me. Calling the team "soft" isn't useful, inspiring or anything very positive and I don't think will work in making them play any better.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

Shaqtin wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
JLinfanJoe wrote:

Lin a veteran? He only been in the league for at best 3 years. D - League rookie year and injured 2nd year. 2 complete years in Houston.

Lillard already said that Swag and Lin are dangerous and took over games against Portland he's played in in previous seasons. They don't have to prove anything for me. Do I think both of them are underperforming? Sure, at times. But they've been both crucial in some of the Lakers games being competitive and in some of the wins. If both of them don't force, they play well, but that's true of even Kobe at times.
Des0rbit
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

Kobe's defense last night was so bad, he failed to make even minimal effort on defense and just let opponents shoot all over him, he turned the ball over way too much and he wasn't providing anything offensively, all while the coach thought the issue was missing Ronnie Price. Im so sick of Bryon Scott's blatant favoritism and not holding Kobe or himself accountable.

Wishing Ronnie Price were there implies that the issues was at the PG spot when in fact it wasn't. How did this guy earned COTY ? he is horrible.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject:

Let's look on the bright side. We weren't even close this game!

Remember how up in arms everyone was against Portland because we got so close?

Now don't we all feel a lot better?
JLinfanJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"They are just better," Kobe Bryant said after the game. "They have just got the better players that just come at you in waves. They are deeper. They have got a lot of shooters on the floor."

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles-clippers/post/_/id/7168/clippers-making-routs-a-routine-vs-lakers
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
nestle wrote:

If a moderator suspends you, don't come back with a new username and then call out mods.

Why do I have a feeling he has been banned before and is posting under a new username?

Oh, and, thanks DB. I don't know how you are able to make epic recaps like this with efforts as egregious as last night's.
Beto
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

hopandskip wrote:
That was the starting lineup I've been waiting to see all season.

And they got steamrolled! Doh!!!

seriously.

but it's the first time that this group got to play together. when ronnie and ed got put into the starting lineup, we got steamrolled by indiana, of all teams.
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Q

we got steamrolled by indiana, of all teams, with 'head of the snake', tough guy price in the starting lineup. there were plenty of "soft" games by our supposedly tough starting lineup.

this can't be pinned on just swaggy and lin. kobe played soft all game and he gets a free pass, and even gets to call others soft.

the team has problem bringing EFT consistently to every game no matter who's in the starting lineup, and that's on coaching.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

Yes, festively jovial.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject:

tirebiter wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Q

we got steamrolled by indiana, of all teams, with 'head of the snake', tough guy price in the starting lineup. there were plenty of "soft" games by our supposedly tough starting lineup.

this can't be pinned on just swaggy and lin. kobe played soft all game and he gets a free pass, and even gets to call others soft.

the team has problem bringing EFT consistently to every game no matter who's in the starting lineup, and that's on coaching.

Price is a tough guy. He takes charges, hustles, plays with effort, plays pretty smart. I think he's handling his extended minutes well and shows good stamina. He's not old at 32 either, but he's a veteran. I have no problems with Price, utter respect.

But Byron needs to learn that if he has another guy in there that can be an impact player, propping up his guy with hyperbole is just unwise. It is like some of the hyperbole people give Lin, it's just not realistic and gets annoying. Nobody on the team played impressive defense, he could have said Wesley and Price may have helped, but then again, they may not have.

I actually like the way the team looked in late garbage time. Had no idea why Lin was playing until I saw Ellington played 40 minutes. But, at least they sort of got to do a practice run with an opposing teams bench.
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
tirebiter wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Q

Price is a tough guy. He takes charges, hustles, plays with effort, plays pretty smart. I think he's handling his extended minutes well and shows good stamina. He's not old at 32 either, but he's a veteran. I have no problems with Price, utter respect.

But Byron needs to learn that if he has another guy in there that can be an impact player, propping up his guy with hyperbole is just unwise. It is like some of the hyperbole people give Lin, it's just not realistic and gets annoying. Nobody on the team played impressive defense, he could have said Wesley and Price may have helped, but then again, they may not have.

I actually like the way the team looked in late garbage time. Had no idea why Lin was playing until I saw Ellington played 40 minutes. But, at least they sort of got to do a practice run with an opposing teams bench.

oh, not disagreeing at all about price being tough. i like the guy. he's a guy i'd like on my team but would hate to play against.

but my point is - it's not about who's tough and who's not, etc. these are all nba players, and they all play hard. this is on scott.
Juneway
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
JLinfanJoe wrote:

I noticed that change of style too. But I, or we don't really know what BS talk to him in the locker room. My guess is that Jlin was repeatedly ordered not to do something.

Overall, Clippers just a better team at this point. And both teams play at their normal level last night.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:

tirebiter wrote:
bws94 wrote:
tirebiter wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Q

oh, not disagreeing at all about price being tough. i like the guy. he's a guy i'd like on my team but would hate to play against.

but my point is - it's not about who's tough and who's not, etc. these are all nba players, and they all play hard. this is on scott.

Understood and I agree with you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: