Nash in Argentina
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

It honestly sounds like the Lakers are just as done with Nash as the fans are. They may have even quietly asked him not to report to any team facilities. I mean, really... what injured player (who isn't getting treatment) is nowhere near the team for the entire season?

This is an early, unspoken retirement.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
worst laker in history for the $$$

How quickly we forget Brian Grant.

Chris Mhim and Aaron McKey said hello as well.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:

wait I thought he agreed to join the team and mentor the younger players. This is ridiculous. He isnt Kobe who gave this franchise so much. He shouldnt be given a free pass to just do whatever while he refuses to retire and cash his checks. The Lakers should force him to attend everything they have the authority to have him attend.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

Out of sight, out of mind.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:

Steve who?
nba_lakers_fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Guys who cares about the crypt keeper. Let him die quietly into the night. He took our money like any athlete would. If anything we should be mad our front office for getting swindled. They took a huge risk and it back fired. Don't be mad at him. He's whatever. I just can't believe we were so stupid to think he would work. He was already dead in phx and somehow we thought he would last another 3 years. Damn. We could have used his 10 mil
Do you honestly think if would even be able to contribute? He'll no.

Last edited by nba_lakers_fan on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:

al three of those guys at least played. lol

I like Mihm, bad ankles though. Mckey got us Gasol.
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I care as much about Steve Nash as Orlando Magic fans cared about Gilbert Arenas the last three years.
idrinkhaterade
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Nash and D'antoni were both sent here to sabotage the Lakers' franchise
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:

al three of those guys at least played. lol

I like Mihm, bad ankles though. Mckey got us Gasol.

Lol, that's right!
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Unstable wrote:
What I don't understand is this - if Lakers are paying Nash's salary - why can't Lakers assign him to do other duties (like help mentor some of our youngsters?)

Nash works under a contract. A contract is an agreement where each party spells out what they must do for each other.

The contract provides that if Nash gets injured, the Lakers still have to pay him. That's what's happening now.

The contract doesn't allow the Lakers to add new duties or obligations without Nash's approval. Mentoring players would be a new duty that isn't covered by the contract, so the Lakers can't impose the duty on Nash.

So the Lakers could ask Nash to mentor players, but Nash isn't required to -- he would be doing the Lakers a favor.

Disagree, not every item of work needs to be spelt out in a contract. When you join a company you wouldnt have signed a contract stating specifically that you would need to mentor any juniors that join the organization after you had but you would still need to perform such a role because that's part of the job.

There are other roles that nba players do for their team, meet the fans, sign autographs, promote and sell stuff for the franchise, which can still go on and not be affected by injury status.

As an injured player if he is still under contract he should be focused upon resting and recuperating and trying to get his fitness back. I wouldn't call traveling around the world looking like being on holidays trying to get his fitness back.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Are people really going to be this petty?
SemperMalum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Yup. Unfiltered opinions/gutwrench reactions and whatnot.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

*checks to verify we're on LG*

Is that a real question?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

pkflyers wrote:
Must be nice making millions doing nothing

Not really, mo money, mo problems.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Unstable wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Unstable wrote:
What I don't understand is this - if Lakers are paying Nash's salary - why can't Lakers assign him to do other duties (like help mentor some of our youngsters?)

Nash works under a contract. A contract is an agreement where each party spells out what they must do for each other.

The contract provides that if Nash gets injured, the Lakers still have to pay him. That's what's happening now.

The contract doesn't allow the Lakers to add new duties or obligations without Nash's approval. Mentoring players would be a new duty that isn't covered by the contract, so the Lakers can't impose the duty on Nash.

So the Lakers could ask Nash to mentor players, but Nash isn't required to -- he would be doing the Lakers a favor.

Disagree, not every item of work needs to be spelt out in a contract. When you join a company you wouldnt have signed a contract stating specifically that you would need to mentor any juniors that join the organization after you had but you would still need to perform such a role because that's part of the job.

There are other roles that nba players do for their team, meet the fans, sign autographs, promote and sell stuff for the franchise, which can still go on and not be affected by injury status.

As an injured player if he is still under contract he should be focused upon resting and recuperating and trying to get his fitness back. I wouldn't call traveling around the world looking like being on holidays trying to get his fitness back.

Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I thought Nash would be in Alaska right now catching some good ol Golden Salmon fish from the great lakes...

Another great 2.0-ism

Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject:

If it's true that LA wanted Nash to hang around the team and mentor the young guys then what he's doing is pretty classless. I mean, come on dude, he's still on the payroll.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Unstable wrote:

I know lots of people who don't mentor in their jobs and have turned down requests to be mentors, but let's set that aside because trying to make an analogy between office workers and NBA players is always an apples-and-oranges things. Some NBA stars mentor other players, some don't. It's up to them. A team can't force a player to be a mentor.

Unstable wrote:

NBA players aren't required to sign autographs. Many do, but they're doing it as much for themselves as for the team. If they choose not to, a team can't order them to. And a lot of the things you think players are doing for the team actually are spelled out in their contracts. There are contractual obligations for players to meet the press for a certain amount of time and to do a certain amount of charity work, for example. There are contractual terms for how often a players likeness can be used to promote the NBA.

Unstable wrote:

The bottom line is that the Lakers and Nash have already agreed he won't be able to play basketball this year. His contract is going to run out and he will no longer be a Laker (and probably no longer be an NBA player), so for practical purposes his training/resting/whatever is irrelevant.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
pkflyers wrote:
Must be nice making millions doing nothing

Not really, mo money, mo problems.
i know what no money problems are about, i bet money problems are better then poor money problems. lol
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Unstable wrote:

Right!? It's like if someone told him to retire and stay away cause you're going to be traded or somethin . He's acting like his coach disrespected him in some way
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject:

Not one bit of class.

He's a low life for real.
Rugbar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
Nash did NOT RUIN this franchise the front office and Stern helped mess that up. Lakers rolled the dice with absolutely HORRIBLE odds and they crapped out.
They panic'ed when Stern Veto'ed the Chris Paul trade.

I only blame the Mitch and Jim for the trade, they knew he had a history of back problems and nerve problems, but they pulled the trigger anyways.

I'm not sure the odds were truly horrible. Nash played at an all-star level on offense his last season in Phoenix, and there was the precedent of a pick-and-roll point guard (Stockton) who played at a high level until the very end (granted without a history of back problems). There was of course a good chance Nash would get injured or decline massively, but there was also a solid chance that he'd be quite good for at least a season. The Lakers rolled the dice thinking they had a decent shot at a championship. Far from a sure thing or even likely, but a decent shot. That's more than most franchises get in any given decade. Most GMs would roll the dice to take a shot at a championship that first year of his contract, I think.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Why is this thread even in the Laker Lounge? IMO, the Cash trade was one of the darkest days in Laker history.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Steve Nash the trade that put our franchise in shambles these last couple years. Possibly the worst trade in Lakers history.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: