Did the FO make the right decisions regarding LBJ, Melo, Zen Master & DFish?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
24 wrote:
Lakers put melo to a test. To come here he would have to give up money, being the man, and the NY situation. He would have to really want it. He didn't.
Good decision for all parties involved.

Can anyone identify any reasons why adding Melo would have made the Lakers a viable title contender, noting that there would have been little cap space for any good complimentary players - even if Pau would have stayed.

Same question can be applied to Lowry

Re MELO. Ask the front office.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
TheLakerWay wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
TheLakerWay wrote:
I think the FO made the right decisions with Zen Master & DFish, yeah.

I also think the FO was correct about Melo.

If we could have gotten Lebron I would have taken him, even though I can't stand him personally. But now he is breaking down too.

By correct about Melo, surely you're not crediting them for not getting Melo (and his current injury-riddle state)? They went full-court to get Melo and in terms of off-season goals, they failed at that in going for him.

Didn't Shelburne say they really weren't interested in Melo?

Either way, I'm just glad we didn't get him. So if the FO went all in on Melo, then I'm against that.

No. They went all in on him. No mistake about that.

Ok. Well I'm glad they missed out on him then.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject:

The FO chose incorrectly pursuing Melo. Fortunately for us, he chose poorly sticking with NY.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
A few people here also wanted Blatt to be our head coach, so far his NBA coaching debut in Cleveland has been a debacle.

I would say that Cleveland is the debacle.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
24 wrote:
Lakers put melo to a test. To come here he would have to give up money, being the man, and the NY situation. He would have to really want it. He didn't.
Good decision for all parties involved.

Can anyone identify any reasons why adding Melo would have made the Lakers a viable title contender, noting that there would have been little cap space for any good complimentary players - even if Pau would have stayed.

Same question can be applied to Lowry
Re MELO. Ask the front office.
FO announced their intentions to make a serious pitch because the Lakers recognized their fan base want stars. It might have worked if Nash was able to play. The past JLin/Melo experience in NYC suggest that the basketball gods did not want to happen I'm Lakerland - thankfully (in hindsight)
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
A few people here also wanted Blatt to be our head coach, so far his NBA coaching debut in Cleveland has been a debacle.

Well they are on a mini-winning streak, winning fixing is everything. I'm glad Lakers sparked it for them
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DocK36 wrote:

Well they are on a mini-winning streak, winning fixing is everything. I'm glad Lakers sparked it for them

I think Clev. will be a tough out in the playoffs. They surprisingly made a series of good moves, getting Mozgov, JR (actually playing well) and Shumpert. I think getting rid of the malcontent Waiters has helped a lot.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
bandiger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
I think Clev. will be a tough out in the playoffs. They surprisingly made a series of good moves, getting Mozgov, JR (actually playing well) and Shumpert. I think getting rid of the malcontent Waiters has helped a lot.
Cleveland has shown signs that they will be a tough out in the playoffs once they started to get healthy that surprisingly made Blatt a better coach.

As noted in last night's broadcast, BScott is missing three marque players (Kobe, Nash and Randle). This has forced him to have to choose between Price and JLin to be his starting PG and either Swaggy or Johnson to lead them in scoring.

The odds of being a top legitimate title contending team in the Western Conference with Lebrun and/or Melo were never good because they would be forced to play major minutes because of a very weak bench. The star power would be great and having the joys of watching Kobe/LeBron initiate the offense would be intoxicating. However having Melo and Swaggy with their "sticky" fingers creating offensive "black holes" - frustrations would be high. Having a team with aging superstars who are 30+ years old whose legs have gone through long playoff runs (Lebron/Kobe) - along with Melo - would have a hard time to get past the second round with every WC team loading up with even more talent through their recent trades. Even if they got to The Finals, they would have problems against either the Bulls or the Hawks.
Note: the CAP would not allowed them to have Lebron, Melo, Kobe AND Pau.

DFish would be overwhelmed if he was the HC

If Phil was the President of Basketball Operations, what GM would/could he hire that would be able to get these players since Mitch would not be there?

Their available options to enter their next championship era with a young superstar(s) - at least under 30 - is an astute move. With Randle, Clarkson, Black and Davis in the fold - imho they are in a much better position. With their assumed first round draft choice, a hopefully healthy Kobe and 1/2 key acquisition(s) - the future of the Lakers would indeed be much brighter under the guidance of Mitch/Jimmy
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
This FO has screwed up so many times in the last few off seasons that i have no faith in them to get it right heading into the summer 2015.

No going after Lowery because they waited on melo and Lebron both whom had zero interest in the Lakers EVER!! You have to wonder will they screw up again this summer?

So being turned down by Lowry would have impressed you?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
This FO has screwed up so many times in the last few off seasons that i have no faith in them to get it right heading into the summer 2015.

No going after Lowery because they waited on melo and Lebron both whom had zero interest in the Lakers EVER!! You have to wonder will they screw up again this summer?
One could ask which GMs could have done a better job and what are their track record(s) that has resulted in RINGS
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

As much as being turned down by Lebron. Melo. Dirk. Bosh. Pau.

Yes.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

As much as being turned down by Lebron. Melo. Dirk. Bosh. Pau.

Yes.
Wow, didn't realize that the FO tried to get Dirk and Bosh!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:

http://fansided.com/2014/07/15/nba-free-agency-2014-lakers-offered-dirk-nowitzki-max-contract/

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/15/report-nowitzki-rejected-max-from-lakers-rockets-to-take-three-years-25-million-in-dallas/
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
http://fansided.com/2014/07/15/nba-free-agency-2014-lakers-offered-dirk-nowitzki-max-contract/

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/15/report-nowitzki-rejected-max-from-lakers-rockets-to-take-three-years-25-million-in-dallas/
Let's see, how realistic was the possibility of getting Dirk or Bosh - zero
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Which is my point. Made unrealistic goals after Kobe's extension.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No harm in making an obvious max offer to test the waters. Did they actually had a meeting(s)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No harm in making an obvious max offer to test the waters. Did they actually had a meeting(s)

Probably like Lebron their agents said no meeting was needed.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Didn't Mitch fly to Cleveland for a preliminary - screening meeting with LeBron's agent?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Didn't Mitch fly to Cleveland for a preliminary - screening meeting with LeBron's agent?

Iirc there may have been introductions with agent but certainly no meeting with lbj.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Iirc there may have been introductions with agent but certainly no meeting with lbj.

Yes, LeBron was on vacation the first part of July and he had his agent listen to presentations from teams as a screening process.

At least 5 teams meet LeBron's agent

It was very likely that Cleveland and Miami were the only true candidates, but the Lakers were in pursuit.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yes, LeBron was on vacation the first part of July and he had his agent listen to presentations from teams as a screening process.
At least 5 teams meet LeBron's agent

It was very likely that Cleveland and Miami were the only true candidates, but the Lakers were in pursuit.
Dirk, LeBron, Bosh and Melo were the high-profiled FAs. Lakers wanted to advice of their interest, if something completely changes and were seeking viable alternatives.

Which FA or RFA would be the best fit for next season.

Would a Marc Gasol or LA be game changers, even though these very gifted players are not the essential lynchpins of their own teams.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: