How's Ryan Kelly doing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
Same as last season. He's inconsistent as heck. He'll have a great game like he had vs Boston last season and then disappear for the next 2 weeks. Also, for his size, he's a lousy rebounder. He only rebounds when the ball drops in front of him.

Why would you say he is inconsistent?
I could understand you saying you don't like his game or that he is not very good or... But to me he has been very consistent.
Nothing spectacularly good or bad. Getting slowly better after the injury. Having his confidence back and shooting well. And all that while playing out of his natural position. For cheap.
I'd say a decent role player off the bench.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
Scoffs wrote:
Same as last season. He's inconsistent as heck. He'll have a great game like he had vs Boston last season and then disappear for the next 2 weeks. Also, for his size, he's a lousy rebounder. He only rebounds when the ball drops in front of him.

Why would you say he is inconsistent?
I could understand you saying you don't like his game or that he is not very good or... But to me he has been very consistent.
Nothing spectacularly good or bad. Getting slowly better after the injury. Having his confidence back and shooting well. And all that while playing out of his natural position. For cheap.
I'd say a decent role player off the bench.

Remember that road trip last season when they played Toronto and Boston. Ryan had 17 pts vs the Raptors and then dropped 20 pts on the Celtics. That's consistency. I don't expect him to average 17 pts, but I do expect him to get at least 10 pts every game. This season, he's averaging 3.9 pts/game. I don't know if it's the injury or conditioning issues but those are Sacre type numbers and he's better than that.
driver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject:

I think he should shoot more. I don't know what goes on in the practice room but I don't get why he passes open shots to give the ball to a struggling Nick Young or some other guarded player.

Just shoot it, have some confidence.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject:

He didn't play tonight. Why? I have no idea.
chazz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:

Because he is the worst shooter on the Lakers active roster at .348% His last 10 games he is at .333%

You have no idea why he plays???? LOL he is the last person on the bench....He is consistently bad
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject:

chazz wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

Because he is the worst shooter on the Lakers active roster at .348% His last 10 games he is at .333%

You have no idea why he plays???? LOL he is the last person on the bench....He is consistently bad

I guess the right question, is why did he start at SF?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

Since he's playing more at the 3 his stock has gone down a few points.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Unreal that we have posters that like this guy. He's consistently bad...horrific defender, completely unathletic, slow, can't jump but occasionally hits a 3. Enough said. Did u see the way Ariza went by him? This guy is a joke. Tired of all these poster that have high expectations with these 2nd round pick. Remember Goudlock, Trey Johnson, Banks and all these other clowns u guys had high hopes for. And u can add Clarkson to this group. Only guys worth bringing back are Randle, Black and possibly Davis. The rest should be canned.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Unreal that we have posters that like this guy. He's consistently bad...horrific defender, completely unathletic, slow, can't jump but occasionally hits a 3. Enough said. Did u see the way Ariza went by him? This guy is a joke. Tired of all these poster that have high expectations with these 2nd round pick. Remember Goudlock, Trey Johnson, Banks and all these other clowns u guys had high hopes for. And u can add Clarkson to this group. Only guys worth bringing back are Randle, Black and possibly Davis. The rest should be canned.

If posters can't see the difference between bench players and starters then we can expect crap like the above.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

You're wrong of course. Fact of the matter is, the Lakers are a better team when he's on the court.

I take it you're more of a "style over substance" sorta guy. Look, I'll give you that Kelly's game lacks style, or power, or grace, whatever floats your boat viscerally. But his game is effective. He's actually a decent defender (and please don't asses his defense based on his failure to defend Lebron James 1 on 1), and he is usually in the right place, spaces the floor, and passes well.

Watch him a little more carefully for a little while. He's got good potential to be a mid-minutes role player. Remember that teams need depth, not just stars. All teams can use a player like him.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Okay if we can all use players like Kelly let's make sure he's the 11th or 12th man.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Kelly is fine as a backup PF. He and Randle would make a good tandem.
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Ryan Kelly is an interesting contrast. He came out of college touted as a good 3pt shooter and a decent defender. So far he hasn't shown either. He seems to be very timid at both shooting and defending. I've seen him pass up open shots. He has on occasion used the up fake and gotten to the rim only to not finish with a score. Until such time that he gets some confidence he's not much more useful than Sacre.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Rigged4fun wrote:
Ryan Kelly is an interesting contrast. He came out of college touted as a good 3pt shooter and a decent defender. So far he hasn't shown either. .

All the draft reports I read about him basically said he's a one-trick pony -- a stretch 4 who can hit 3-pointers but whose lack of athleticism will limit him in the NBA, especially on the defensive end. He's shooting 38.9% from 3-point land, so I think he's pretty much showing that he's the player everyone thought he would be -- there's a reason that a 6-11 player who can hit 3s went in the late second round.
chazz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
i think ryan kelly.. his ceiling can be a 15/8 type player who is a well-rounded player with no gaping weaknesses.

LOL!!!! His gaping weakness is he is the WORST shooter % wise for the Lakers on the active roster........He can't rebound, He is injury prone, and he is very PASSIVE....And he only has a pump fake move that sucks

Why do people always try to hype up CERTAIN players???
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject:

chazz wrote:
misterrunon wrote:
i think ryan kelly.. his ceiling can be a 15/8 type player who is a well-rounded player with no gaping weaknesses.

LOL!!!! His gaping weakness is he is the WORST shooter % wise for the Lakers on the active roster........He can't rebound, He is injury prone, and he is very PASSIVE....And he only has a pump fake move that sucks

Why do people always try to hype up CERTAIN players???

Maybe because a good pump-fake is hard to come by?

Seriously though, Kelly has not looked good at all this season.
Playing him out of position has not helped. He does not have the quickness or athleticism to match up at SF. He has struggled to keep up with the wing players.
He has skills but he is a 4. However he needs to bulk up to compete at that spot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: