PG Trade Options
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: PG Trade Options

IMO the Lakers should try to get their PG of the future now, I don't really see a good PG coming out of College in this draft that the Lakers would actually be able to acquire. Emmanuel Mudiay would be a long shot, he's going to go top 5 and I don't know if we will get that high, I'm hopeful but I doubt it.
However there are a couple of guards we could look at now before the trade deadline:

Jennings, Knight and Jackson are three names that come to mind, but I think that only one of these players might actually be available for the Lakers and that would be Knight.
The Pistons are playing to well right now to let Jennings go and OKC would never let Jackson go to a western conference team, he'll be in a knicks uniform before the year's end.

He's young, athletic and has a ton of upside and should be a top guard in this league with the right coach and system.

Lin isn't a starting PG in this league IMO, but he is an Elite Level backup. With a guard like Knight starting we could bring in Lin off the bench and have a solid bench group.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject:

So the Bucks who are in playoff contention will dump their great PG prospect just because? Smh.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Uhm they're barely a .500 team in the weak eastern conference, if they made the playoffs they would lose 1st round guaranteed!
He's their best trade asset to really build a team. He's the only player on their team worth anything, definitely a Pick.
Guaranteed he'll leave during Free Agency, so they might as well trade him!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject:

if we had the assets to get Knight we would do it. But we don't. We can and should go after him in RFA though
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject:

LA will go for the BPA in free agency with so many needs, but I wonder how many PGs on the market would trump Kevin Love or Greg Monroe. If somehow the Lakers had a chance to land either for the right price, it would be hard to pass on them for a RFA PG that wasn't clearly a better option.

Basically, I'd be happy if you could find a happy medium to land a big and PG for the total money available. That could be Dragic and Lopez, Jennings and a cheaper big, ect....I'd be happy with any of those mentioned: Jennings, Knight and Jackson. Right now my ideal realistic scenario is:

Draft: Like you said, PG may not be realistic. They may land one with the Houston pick, but you're just taking the BPA. If LA gets the 5 pick I'd be happy with BPA which will likely be a big (Turner, Towns) or forward (Winslow, Johnson). If D'Angelo Williams really turns it on, maybe he puts himself in that convo, but yea not PG at 5 if they pick there.

FA: If they land Love, Jackson may be the most realistic PG. He can get to the rim, finish and isn't a bad defender. He takes some bad shots, but our hope is that he defers to Kobe and Love more and you can harness some of that talent. I'd rather have Jennings or Knight, but Jackson may be more likely to be in LA's price range.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:

Those guys aren't PGs you can hang a franchise on.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject:

It wouldn't be bad to see a Dragic/Lin combo next year. Mike has a point, not too many pure PGs left everyone seems to be a shoot first combo nowadays.

I'd target Rondo first with a short window then move on to Dragic real fast and stick with him. I don't see Rondo signing here unless there's another piece coming also (Love) and that will be another lengthy process. These guys aren't Melo/LBJ for us to wait that long.

We can build depth at that position by getting Farmar via Celtics/Clippers (Doc's kid) We don't need Ellington/Sacre as much as another ball handler.

Next year Dragic/Lin/Farmar can all rotate between the SG/PG spots with Dragic the lead PG. Although i can see Scott and Farmar clashing since Farmar is one of those guys who argue when he's wrong.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

I would go as far to say that there's probably not one PG in this league you can build a franchise around and if a team is attempting to do that, they're going about it the wrong way. Unfortunately we're no longer in the era of Jerry West, Magic Johnson or Isaiah Thomas, the game has changed to the combo guard who can score, facilitate and hopefully defend. I think the formula for any franchise in this era of basketball will consist of the following:

PG - All Star Combo Guard who can defend, score and facilitate
SG- All Star wing player who can defend, score the ball
SF - ALL Star wing who can defend. score the ball
PF - ALL Star Player who can play in the post, spread the floor rebound and score the ball
C - All Star Player who can score in the post, rebound, block shots/defend, run in transition, dominate the game.
Coach - Hall of Fame character coach, with transparency to interpret and teach the game at a high level.

Any combination of 2 or more of these players with the right coach and chemistry, would allow you to build a solid franchise.

I don't think just having a PG is enough. Good players want to play with Great players, if you have 1 or more on your team they will attract the right players and you can build a championship franchise, hopefully.

The Lakers have the pedigree and the resume to maintain a championship franchise, but the fact of the matter is, even with an aging Kobe this team needs two All Star Level Players to solidify it's future and IMO that would be a Starting PG and Starting C.

I would agree with Mike as well, you can't build around JUST a PG, especially any of the ones I mentioned. However this team needs a PG and I think they should look to add one now if possible, if not Free Agency is the target and I believe they will acquire a high Level PG possibly one of those mentioned.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

I'd take dragic in a heart beat.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
I would go as far to say that there's probably not one PG in this league you can build a franchise around and if a team is attempting to do that, they're going about it the wrong way. Unfortunately we're no longer in the era of Jerry West, Magic Johnson or Isaiah Thomas, the game has changed to the combo guard who can score, facilitate and hopefully defend. I think the formula for any franchise in this era of basketball will consist of the following:

PG - All Star Combo Guard who can defend, score and facilitate
SG- All Star wing player who can defend, score the ball
SF - ALL Star wing who can defend. score the ball
PF - ALL Star Player who can play in the post, spread the floor rebound and score the ball
C - All Star Player who can score in the post, rebound, block shots/defend, run in transition, dominate the game.
Coach - Hall of Fame character coach, with transparency to interpret and teach the game at a high level.

Any combination of 2 or more of these players with the right coach and chemistry, would allow you to build a solid franchise.

I don't think just having a PG is enough. Good players want to play with Great players, if you have 1 or more on your team they will attract the right players and you can build a championship franchise, hopefully.

The Lakers have the pedigree and the resume to maintain a championship franchise, but the fact of the matter is, even with an aging Kobe this team needs two All Star Level Players to solidify it's future and IMO that would be a Starting PG and Starting C.

I would agree with Mike as well, you can't build around JUST a PG, especially any of the ones I mentioned. However this team needs a PG and I think they should look to add one now if possible, if not Free Agency is the target and I believe they will acquire a high Level PG possibly one of those mentioned.

I think you need the finishers/Iso players first, then add the PG.

Unless a guy like that is available through the draft, then take him.

Teams with good to great PGs without the finishers get stuck in the 1st round of the playoffs or barely making it.

Teams that got the finishers first; e.g. Blake Griffin before Chris Paul, Duncan before Parker, Aldridge before Lillard, etc., usually have more impact once the PG is acquired.

The first objective isn't to search for a PG. It is to acquire BPAs that may hopefully become franchise players.

The Lakers need that Top 5 pick, an impactful mid-1st rounder, and productive or project players in the 2nd round.

I'm not banking on other teams helping the Lakers.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject:

In my opinion we have the finisher in Randle. He just needs to develop. That is a huge projection I know, but that's my gut.

Knight would be a great compliment to him, and he is also young so they can grow together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
In my opinion we have the finisher in Randle. He just needs to develop. That is a huge projection I know, but that's my gut.

Knight would be a great compliment to him, and he is also young so they can grow together.

That's one finisher.

Need more than that.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:

That's one finisher.

Need more than that.

True, but it's a start. We also have Kobe as a stop gap finisher until he retires.

Hopefully we can get a defender and finisher in the draft this year in Towns, Winslow, or WCS or something.

I don't think all our woes can be solved this offseason. But I think we can make major strides with moves like Knight or keeping our pick
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:

That's one finisher.

Need more than that.

True, but it's a start. We also have Kobe as a stop gap finisher until he retires.

Hopefully we can get a defender and finisher in the draft this year in Towns, Winslow, or WCS or something.

I don't think all our woes can be solved this offseason. But I think we can make major strides with moves like Knight or keeping our pick

Really want Okafor/Randle front court. A PG and 2 3-and-D guys on the wing, and that's a well balanced lineup. A scary one.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:

That's one finisher.

Need more than that.

Really want Okafor/Randle front court. A PG and 2 3-and-D guys on the wing, and that's a well balanced lineup. A scary one.

I wouldn't be mad at that! Any reasonable 3&D guys you have your eyes on?

GT likes Khris Middleton. And if Wes Johnson stays consistent (oxymoron lol) he is an affordable 3&D player
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:

That's one finisher.

Need more than that.

GT likes Khris Middleton. And if Wes Johnson stays consistent (oxymoron lol) he is an affordable 3&D player

I think Finishers in this league are grown, you have to be dominant to finish and Randle or Okafor has the skills and physical attributes to become that, but it will take time. When you look at Knight he has the "Right Now" skill set that's needed to push those guys to the point of finishing. A savvy vet like Kobe only makes it more feasible, but then you have a guy like Swaggy who would take the pressure off of them as well.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
22 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:

That's one finisher.

Need more than that.

I think Finishers in this league are grown, you have to be dominant to finish and Randle or Okafor has the skills and physical attributes to become that, but it will take time. When you look at Knight he has the "Right Now" skill set that's needed to push those guys to the point of finishing. A savvy vet like Kobe only makes it more feasible, but then you have a guy like Swaggy who would take the pressure off of them as well.

Agreed
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I wanted Middleton before he was drafted. His shot is flat but his technique gets the ball through the hoop.

Quote:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:46 pm Post subject:
The guy I wanted to be a Laker, Khris Middleton, is the shooter to watch out for.

19.6ppg, 7rpg past 5 games. 45% behind the arc.

Quote:
Author: Mike [ at ] LG
Posted: 06/16 8:13 PM

http://nbadraft.net/players/khris-middleton

THAT GUY.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I wanted Middleton before he was drafted. His shot is flat but his technique gets the ball through the hoop.

Quote:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:46 pm Post subject:
The guy I wanted to be a Laker, Khris Middleton, is the shooter to watch out for.

19.6ppg, 7rpg past 5 games. 45% behind the arc.

Quote:
Author: Mike ( a t ) LG
Posted: 06/16 8:13 PM

http://nbadraft.net/players/khris-middleton

THAT GUY.

Well good find Mike!

Middleton qualifies for the arenas rule (backloaded contract) if the Lakers want him. It could be a viable option
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I think Middleton is the kind of guy the lakers can steal more so than knight. If Milwaukee has pressure to keep these guys then I think they keep knight and let him go.

How is his defense?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Middleton is the kind of guy the lakers can steal more so than knight. If Milwaukee has pressure to keep these guys then I think they keep knight and let him go.

How is his defense?

Average.

Good length.

Three things.
Spot up shooting.
Pull up J after dribble.
Straight line drive.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

How is his defense?

Average.

Good length.

Three things.
Spot up shooting.
Pull up J after dribble.
Straight line drive.

At his listed 6'7, 225, has great size. Could he improve his defense in your opinion?
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

How is his defense?

Average.

Good length.

Three things.
Spot up shooting.
Pull up J after dribble.
Straight line drive.

At his listed 6'7, 225, has great size. Could he improve his defense in your opinion?

I've watched quite a bit of Middleton. He's a solid player, very consistent. Defense will never be his forte, he doesn't have great lateral mobility. IMO, he's best off the bench or possibly a starting sf on a loaded team(if your talking about building a true contender).

Brandon Knight is not really a true pg. He's an undersized sg or possibly a combo guard who likes to shoot... a lot. He's actually not a great iso scorer, but in today's style of play he can score with the ball in his hands although he is streaky. I noticed last year that he struggled with full court pressure when bringing the ball up the court which is a little troublesome from your pg. I'm worried he's having a contract year, because he didn't seem to improve his first 3 years. When I see him go head to head with top tier pg's, I'm usually left underwhelmed.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

How is his defense?

Average.

Good length.

Three things.
Spot up shooting.
Pull up J after dribble.
Straight line drive.

Position D? Yes. I'd never call him a stopper, but he has some wingspan on him at 6'10.75".

lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

With MCW on the block, I say the Lakers should look to get in Play here. I don't think he's the PG the Lakers should look to as much, but he's definitely relevant and has exceptional size at the position.
I would much rather a 3 way situation with Milwaukee, Lakers and the Sixers. The Bucks would get MCW, the Lakers get Knight and Sixers get OJ Mayo and pics for the future. Lakers would be sending out Nash and a Pic and I think getting Knight and possibly a disgruntled Sanders might be worth it for the Lakers.
I know it seems like something the Sixers probably wouldn't consider, but in reality it would work well whereby the Sixers would get a solid combo guard in Mayo who would eventually open things up for their prospective big men.
The Bucks get another young guard with more of a facilitators mentality who can open things up for Parker while Henson becomes their main big and won't have to share minutes with Sanders.
I'm not 100% sold on Sanders, but he or another player could be the deal sweetener but one isn't needed, the numbers work with those three.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: