The My Roster is better than Your Roster Game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: The My Roster is better than Your Roster Game

Okay folks,
We are closing in to half the season gone. I have an idea for a mini-game that might help us sort out all those claims that people prefer Player X over Player Y etc.

So here's the deal, all of us start with the current Lakers budget (for year of 2014/15 Lakers is about $70,207,154 according to basketball insiders 14 Jan 2015).

For those of you interested in participating - please post here your preferred Roster following the rules stated below:

(1) Please name your roster using a unique name (if not we will just use your Poster Name's roster as a default). Preferably use a nick that is in someway related to Lakers e.g. Magic's Mob, Purple and Gold, Black Mambas etc.

(2) Players to choose 12 other players that are active in the current NBA league. Kobe and his 23.5 million is a fixture - so you will only have $46,707,154 to juggle with. (I will be using Baskeball insider info to verify)

(3) Please ensure that you have at least 2 players to cover all 5 positions (it's ridiculous to come up with a roster missing one of the slots) i.e. you've got to have at least 2 PGs, 2 SGs, 2 SFs, 2 PFs and 2 Cs in your roster.

(4) This is a simplified "fantasy" style computation competition - we will be using the points scored by your selected players - choosing only the best 8 players scores in your roster for computation.

(5) We will target to use the results from Lakers Games 42 to 46 (or the equivalent games for players you have chosen that are out of current Lakers Roster). Projected dates Jan 19 to Jan 27.

(6) The baseline performance will obviously be the existing Lakers Roster - those of you scoring better will have earned the right to continue to criticise the FO for not having acquired the right players, whilst those who can't do better ought to simply hold your peace and leave matters to your peers who've done a better job.

(7) No prizes but seeing your scores against each other would have earn you the right to proclaim MRIBTYR!

(8) Closing date for team roster submission for participating in this is a day before the start of Game 42 for Lakers. I will try to post as soon as I completed the computations in a ranking list showing the scores and whose roster is above or below the Lakers benchmark. (Tie-breaker will be total salaries - obviously team roster with lower salary will trump over the roster with higher salary if performance score is the same).

Here is an example submission (from me):

Team: Lakers13

(1) Kobe Bryant (SG) - 23,500,00
(2) Jeremy Lin (PG) - 8,374,646
(3) Goran Dragic (SG) - 7,500,000
(4) Anthony Davis (PF) - 5,607,240
(5) Brandan Wright (PF) - 5,000,000
(6) Jonas Valanciunas (C) - 3,678,360
(7) Damian Lillard (PG)- 3,340,920
(8) Kwahi Leonard (SF) - 2,894,059
(9) Nikola Vucevic (C) - 2,751,260
(10) Tobias Harris (SF) - 2,380,594
(11) Ed Davis (PF) - 981,084
(12) Tariq Black (PF) - 507,336
(13) Jordan Clarkson (PG) - 507,336

Total Salaries - 67,022,835

I know some of you will view this as an exercise in futility (since it's more of a wish list and not close to reality - trading for players are a real pain in the ***)- but I hope that we can settle at least hypothetically whose roster idea is better - so best wishes to all participants and remember this is just for fun!
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

mudyia
ray
kobe
randle
marc

6th: young, kelly, davis

ownage. randle and mud on rookie contracts, ray allen minimum, and marc maxed.
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
mudyia
ray
kobe
randle
marc

Reformated: You will need to fill up your roster properly to participate - we can't compute scores if the players are not playing in NBA.

Team: watchME's Roster

(1) Kobe Bryant (SG) - 23,500,000
(2) Emmanual Mudiay - Not Qualified currently not playing in NBA but in China
(3) Ray Allen - Not qualified currently retired from NBA
(4) Julius Randle (PF) - 2,997,360 Not advisable currently injured so will get a 0 score every game.
(5) Marc Gasol (C) - 15,829,688
(6) Nick Young (SF) - 4,994,420
(7) Ed Davis (PF) - 981,084 (if you intend to mean Anthony Davis please be clear).
(8) to (13) unfilled - you will need to fill the rest of the squad.

So your submission is incomplete - please help to fill it out. Thanks!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject:

Unstable wrote:
watchME wrote:
mudyia
ray
kobe
randle
marc

Reformated: You will need to fill up your roster properly to participate - we can't compute scores if the players are not playing in NBA.

Team: watchME's Roster

(2) Emmanual Mudiay - Not Qualified currently not playing in NBA but in China
(3) Ray Allen - Not qualified currently retired from NBA
(4) Julius Randle (PF) - 2,997,360 Not advisable currently injured so will get a 0 score every game.
(5) Marc Gasol (C) - 15,829,688
(6) Nick Young (SF) - 4,994,420
(7) Ed Davis (PF) - 981,084 (if you intend to mean Anthony Davis please be clear).
(8) to (13) unfilled - you will need to fill the rest of the squad.

So your submission is incomplete - please help to fill it out. Thanks!

Midday was injuried in China, and he was replaced by will Bynum
He didn't play well at all
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

I like the idea of this game (fantasy basketball), but rule #6 doesn't make sense when you think about it.

We can't compare our rosters to the FO because they can't just pick any players they want.

No disrespect OP, just my opinion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I like the idea of this game (fantasy basketball), but rule #6 doesn't make sense when you think about it.

We can't compare our rosters to the FO because they can't just pick any players they want.

Yup. This is mostly just an exercise in determining which guys still on rookie contracts are most productive. Doesn't have anything to do with the decisions made by the Lakers FO,
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

No problems 22 - it's really an academic exercise and as you had pointed out it's not quite realistic - since the FO has much more things to juggle besides just moving players around.

Rule#6 is nothing more as a gauge - since a lot of our members like to think they can do much better - so it's really for us to see how much better it could be (I am hoping maybe, just maybe the results would show that the majority of us really don't have much better ideas).

Come on it could be fun - why don't you try coming up with a roster and see how that fares against the real performance of our current roster?
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
22 wrote:

Yup. This is mostly just an exercise in determining which guys still on rookie contracts are most productive. Doesn't have anything to do with the decisions made by the Lakers FO,

Not quite - the key question is with the same budget and hypothetically being able to get players (without other restrictions) - can any of our posters really do better than what our current FO manage to garner?

So it's not just about rookie contracts - it's really setting up a whole team, you need to think about having a balanced team (minimum of certain types of players) - you have to juggle the finances keeping within the current budget and you have predict which players to bring in to give you the best score.

Of course rookie contracts will give you the best value (if they are producing well). Or is it really so? Why not test your hypothesis - create a roster of Kobe + all rookie contracts and see if that gives you what you think you can get?

On thinking further (I may introduce a rookie cap i.e. each team should not have more than X number of rookies - well let's see how it goes first before we slap another rule in)....
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Unstable wrote:
activeverb wrote:
22 wrote:

Not quite - the key question is with the same budget and hypothetically being able to get players (without other restrictions) - can any of our posters really do better than what our current FO manage to garner?

Dude, no offense but the "key question" is a big "no duh." If you are allowed to magically grab any player off any roster, you can significantly improve any team. That says nothing about the Lakers FO because you are giving yourself a huge advantage they don't have.
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Unstable wrote:
activeverb wrote:
22 wrote:

Dude, no offense but the "key question" is a big "no duh." If you are allowed to magically grab any player off any roster, you can significantly improve any team. That says nothing about the Lakers FO because you are giving yourself a huge advantage they don't have.

You are probably right - but I'd like to see how it goes - even if all participants do "better" - question to me is how much better? To me if the scores obtained by the new roster is not significantly better (statistically we probably will need something like at least 20% or more difference).

To me it could be interesting nonetheless, anyways - it doesn't seem as if Lakers could go anywhere this season - so this might be an interesting distraction. Come on give it a shot - who knows your ideas might make better sense!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Team CandyCanes

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF: LeBron James
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Marc Gasol

Bench:

PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: James Harden
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Zach Randolph
C: Dwight Howard

Looks like I have by far the best team right now.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

I would make a rule to limit the number of rookie scale contracts on the team.
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Team CandyCanes

Bench:

Nice try CandyCane - there are just some adjustment you would need to make:

Reformated so we can see clearly the area you need to adjust:

Team CandyCanes
(1) Chris Paul (PG) - $20,068,563
(2) Jimmy Butler (SG) - $2,008,748
(3) LeBron James (SF) - $20,644,400
(4) Dirk Nowitzki (PF) - $7,974,482
(5) Marc Gasol (C) - $15,829,688
(6) Russell Westbrook (PG) - $15,719,062
(7) James Harden (SG) - $14,728,844
(8) Kevin Durant (SF) - $18,995,624
(9) Zach Randolph (PF) -$16,500,000
(10) Dwight Howard (C) - $21,436,271
(11) Kobe Bryant (SG) - $23,500,000
(12) need to be filled up
(13) need to be filled up

Your total budget (not counting 2 more positions to be filled) is already -$177,405,682 - this is way too high you need to keep it below the current budget that our FO is working with (you can't have better options than them in terms of budget).

You cannot drop Kobe from the team (this is so that there is at least a recognizable player that still represent that this is a Lakers team)
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
I would make a rule to limit the number of rookie scale contracts on the team.

Yes, we probably might need to - but let's see how version 1 (it's only for 5 games) pans out first before tweaking it.

So please join in the fun and who knows your ideas might be good food for thought too for our roster!
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Just as a rough example of how the scores would look like:

Current Lakers Roster score (for the game against Cleveland today) -
would come up to 95.

My Lakers13 Roster score would come up to 116

Statistically speaking - that's only marginally significantly different (about 18- 22% depending on whether using 116 or 95 as base) - so nothing to crow about.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject:

(1) Damian Lillard (PG) - 3.3
(2) Goran Dragic (PG) - 7.5
(3) Jimmy Butler (SG) - 2
(4) Gerald Green (SG) - 3.5
(5) Kawhi Leonard (SF) - 2.9
(6) Kyle Korver (SF) - 6.2
(7) Anthony Davis (PF) - 5.6
(8) Pau Gasol (PF) 7.1
(9) Marc Gasol (C) - 15.8
(10) Tim Duncan (C) - 10
(11) Hassan Whiteside (C) - 0.7
(12) Andrew Wiggins (SG) - 5.5
(13) Shabazz Muhammad (SG/SF) - 1.9

Total Salary: 72
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Unstable wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Team CandyCanes

Bench:

Nice try CandyCane - there are just some adjustment you would need to make:

Reformated so we can see clearly the area you need to adjust:

Team CandyCanes
(1) Chris Paul (PG) - $20,068,563
(2) Jimmy Butler (SG) - $2,008,748
(3) LeBron James (SF) - $20,644,400
(4) Dirk Nowitzki (PF) - $7,974,482
(5) Marc Gasol (C) - $15,829,688
(6) Russell Westbrook (PG) - $15,719,062
(7) James Harden (SG) - $14,728,844
(8) Kevin Durant (SF) - $18,995,624
(9) Zach Randolph (PF) -$16,500,000
(10) Dwight Howard (C) - $21,436,271
(11) Kobe Bryant (SG) - $23,500,000
(12) need to be filled up
(13) need to be filled up

Your total budget (not counting 2 more positions to be filled) is already -$177,405,682 - this is way too high you need to keep it below the current budget that our FO is working with (you can't have better options than them in terms of budget).

You cannot drop Kobe from the team (this is so that there is at least a recognizable player that still represent that this is a Lakers team)

Maybe the Russian wants to sell the Nets so he can be part owner of the Lakers and pay Candycanes dream team salary...
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
(8) Pau Gasol (PF) 7.1
(10) Tim Duncan (C) - 10

Cool 44TheLogo - only minor adjustments needed - you need to add back Kobe BRyant (at 23.5M) and adjust your roster replacing some players so you can keep below the 70M mark (which is the current budget used by our FO). In the meantime would you like to think of your team name (otherwise it would be simply 44TheLogo's roster)
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

I'll oversimplify the potential points production possibilities just for the heck of it.

Starting lineup:
Brandon Knight ($3,553,917) Stats: 18.5 / 5.2 / 4.2
Kobe Bryant ($23,500,000) Stats: 22.6 / 5.7 / 5.6
Kevin Durant ($19,997,513) Stats: 24.9 / 3.4 / 6.5
Julius Randle ($2,997,360) Stats: N/A
Joel Embiid ($4,427,640) Stats: N/A

Starting lineup PPG: 66 PPG

This is before Randle or Embiid are even added to the equation.

Bench:
Reggie Jackson ($2,204,370) / Jordan Clarkson ($507,336) Stats: 14.9
Nick Young ($4,994,420) Stats: 14.0
Perry Jones ($1,129,200) Ststs: 6.9
Ryan Kelly ($1,650,000) Stats: 4.1
Tarik Black ($507,336) / Ed Davis ($981,084) Stats: 4.9

Bench points: 44.8
Clarkson and Davis stats: 4.7 / 8.0 = 12.7

Starters and bench: 110.8 PPG

Starters: $54,476,430
Bench: $11,973,746
Total Cost: $66,450,176
Total Budget: $70,207,154
Leftover: $3,756,978

Of course it's not that easy and the points are probably going to have to bend in several places so they can all work together in the same system and you have to factor in the defensive potential of the team as well.

But anyway, that team should gel and that lineup should win a championship or at least it's built to win one very soon within 2-3 seasons.

If Kobe retired a season or two later they'd have max contract space and could still make a run if they landed someone and their prospects would have started to truly come into their own by then.

And I had a leftover 3,756,978 to add to the other 3 free roster spots. That should be enough for one or two gems you hope to find in pre-season or in summer league.

Anyway there you go.
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I'll oversimplify the potential points production possibilities just for the heck of it.

Starting lineup:

Bench:

Of course it's not that easy and the points are probably going to have to bend in several places so they can all work together in the same system and you have to factor in the defensive potential of the team as well.

But anyway, that team should gel and that lineup should win a championship or at least it's built to win one very soon within 2-3 seasons.

If Kobe retired a season or two later they'd have max contract space and could still make a run if they landed someone and their prospects would have started to truly come into their own by then.

And I had a leftover 3,756,978 to add to the other 3 free roster spots. That should be enough for one or two gems you hope to find in pre-season or in summer league.

Anyway there you go.

Thanks MJST for joining in!

- I will reformat your proposed roster so that it would be easier for me to process later:

Team: MJST's Roster

(2) Brandon Knight (PG) - 3,553,917
(3) Kevin Durant (SF) - 18,995,624
(4) Julius Randle (PF) - 2,997,360 (You might want to reconsider as currently injured and won't be contributing points to current performance)
(5) Joel Embiid (C) - 4,427,640
(6) Reggie Jackson (PG) - 2,204,369
(7) Jordan Clarkson (PG) - 507,336
(8) Nick Young (SF) - 4,994,420
(9) Perry Jones (SF) - 1,129,200
(10) Ryan Kelly (PF) - 1,650,000
(11) Tarik Black (PF) - 507,336
(12) Ed Davis (PF) - 981,084
(13) You should try to fill this slot (one more player one more opportunity to score - you have the budget for it anyways - you are quite weak in SG and C positions).

Total Salaries: $65,448,286 (well within budget)

PS: Please note my computation will be based on the scores of best 8 players in your roster from current games - so it is fine even if you don't want to add one more player (you have about 4M++ to spend).
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject:

Team GetAtMe:

Pg1: Damian Lillard - 3,340,920
Pg2: Patrick Beverly - 915,243
Sg1: jimmy butler - 2,008,748
Sg2: Kobe Bryant - 23,500,000
Sg3: Kj mcdaniels - 507, 336
Sf1: kawhi leonard - 2,894,059
Sf2: Draymond green - 915,243
Pf1: Anthony Davis - 5,607,240
Pf2: Paul millsap- 9,500,000
C1: Demarcus cousins - 14,746,000
C2: Andre Drummond - 2,568,360
C3: Rudy gobert - 1,127,400

Total: 67,630,549
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Unstable wrote:
MJST wrote:

Starting lineup:

Bench:

Anyway there you go.

Thanks MJST for joining in!

- I will reformat your proposed roster so that it would be easier for me to process later:

Team: MJST's Roster

(4) Julius Randle (PF) - 2,997,360 (You might want to reconsider as currently injured and won't be contributing points to current performance)
(7) Jordan Clarkson (PG) - 507,336
(8) Nick Young (SF) - 4,994,420
(9) Perry Jones (SF) - 1,129,200
(10) Ryan Kelly (PF) - 1,650,000
(11) Tarik Black (PF) - 507,336
(12) Ed Davis (PF) - 981,084
(13) You should try to fill this slot (one more player one more opportunity to score - you have the budget for it anyways - you are quite weak in SG and C positions).

Total Salaries: $65,448,286 (well within budget)

PS: Please note my computation will be based on the scores of best 8 players in your roster from current games - so it is fine even if you don't want to add one more player (you have about 4M++ to spend).

Well If I wanted to just go OP with it I could do this

Replace Ryan Kelly with Anthony Davis.

Starting lineup:
Anthony Davis ($5,607,240) Stats: 24.2 / 10.4 / 2.9

Starting lineup PPG: 90.2 PPG

This is before Embiid is even added to the equation.

Bench:
Reggie Jackson ($2,204,370) Stats: 14.9
Perry Jones ($1,129,200) Stats: 6.9
Ed Davis ($981,084) Stats: 7.9
Tarik Black ($507,336) Stats: 4.9

Bench lineup PPG: 48.6 PPG

Additional:
Jordan Clarkson ($507,336)
Julius Randle ($2,997,360)

Total PPG potential(Starters/Bench): 138.8 PPG

The change in lineup(swapping out Ryan Kelly for Anthony Davis) does this with the salary.

$65,448,286
- (1,650,000)
+$5,607,240

Still within budget

Worked it out in your style to make it easier for you below

(4) Anthony Davis(PF/C) ($5,607,240)
(7) Jordan Clarkson (PG/SG) - 507,336
(8) Nick Young (SG/SF) - 4,994,420
(9) Perry Jones (SF/PF) - 1,129,200
(11) Tarik Black (PF/C) - 507,336
(12) Ed Davis (PF/C) - 981,084
(13) Julius Randle (PF) - 2,997,360

Total Salaries: $69,405,526
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
Team GetAtMe:

Pg1: Damian Lillard - 3,340,920
Pg2: Patrick Beverly - 915,243
Sg1: jimmy butler - 2,008,748
Sg2: Kobe Bryant - 23,500,000
Sg3: Kj mcdaniels - 507, 336
Sf1: kawhi leonard - 2,894,059
Sf2: Draymond green - 915,243
Pf1: Anthony Davis - 5,607,240
Pf2: Paul millsap- 9,500,000
C1: Demarcus cousins - 14,746,000
C2: Andre Drummond - 2,568,360
C3: Rudy gobert - 1,127,400

Total: 67,630,549

Thanks EZ Ryder - you do have one more slot (not critical) to fill up if you like. But I will register your team in first.
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
(8) Pau Gasol (PF) 7.1
(10) Tim Duncan (C) - 10

Hi 44TheLogo - on reviewing your proposed roster - you had missed out our main star Kobe Bryant (it's a compulsory item). So am proposing that your roster be amended to the following 11-man roster (minus the Gasol brothers and Green to keep it below 70M):

K. Bryant 23,500,000
D. Lillard (POR) 3,340,920
G. Dragic (PHX) 7,500,000
J. Butler (CHI) 2,008,748
K. Leonard (SAS) 2,894,059
K. Korver (ATL) 6,253,521
A. Davis (NOP) 5,607,240
T. Duncan (SAS) 10,361,446
H. Whiteside (MIA) 769,881
A. Wiggins (MIN) 5,510,640
S. Muhammad (MIN) 1,971,760

Total salaries = $69,718,215

Please indicate if you are okay with this (I will proceed to track as such unless otherwise informed by you).
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Update - so far I have 4 teams registered. Please hurry to submit your proposed roster to be included in this coming round of computation - let's see if our ideas are "significantly better" than our current FO choices (it probably should be but who knows?)....

Please note I might be a bit late posting the computations (I still have a day job to do ....)

We will see how it goes before we tweak it for another round of 5 games (if interest is there).

Cheers! and may the best roster win!

PS: for those wanting to participate - you can submit your proposed roster as long as it comes in before the start of the next Lakers Game.
I will try my best to include your roster in.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: