History help: What game did Phil Jackson yell "You've gotta ruuuuun!"

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: History help: What game did Phil Jackson yell "You've gotta ruuuuun!"

Random question.

I used to know this but forgot and can't find it online. Does anyone remember what game Phil called a timeout and yelled at the Lakers, "You've gotta ruuuuun!" Or something like that. I want to say it was maybe against the Kings in the playoffs. I remember it standing out because Phil, of course, was known for not calling timeouts and rarely showing that type of emotion.

Reason I want to know what game is I then want to see if i can find that game online and hopefully that moment. I want to send it to my uncle. He's a college women's coach and last night they had a big game. In a minute, he called three timeouts, each time after the team got beat back on defense, inexcusably. And like Phil, he almost never calls timeouts so it was jolting.

Anyway, as I said, random question, but figured someone here remembers the game.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

at SAC, 2002, Gm 7

"I want you to run back! RUUUUUUUUN!!!! I'm talkin about RUNNING! YOU!, YOU!, YOU! AND YOU! Run back on defense!"

Close as I can get it w/o putting in the disc.

One of those small differences between Phil and Del. Regardless of every criticism Phil got in his years here, thank the Lawwd we had him for those 3 Gm 7s. 2000, Gm 7: "Don't go into Shaq! It's not time yet!" Two yrs earlier, we got swept by trying to dump it into Shaq over and over with Stockton, Eisley or whomever else collapsing on him for steals that the refs would never assess as fouls. Remember Malone hacking the sh out of Van Exel's wrist on a potential gm tier in that series or the year before? Malone got absolutely no ball. Del was of the mindset that Shaq was going to carry us, so get him the ball. Phil got us thru that 15 pt deficit with his unorthodox decisions. Like clockwork, smalls like Brian Shaw started hitting crucial 3s to start our momentum.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

I remember a regular season game, i think against the Mavericks, where Phil called a TO about 12 seconds into the Second Half because they gave up an open jumper. It was pretty jarring and after the team came back and won. I miss the hell out of that man.

(I believe it was 2008 - the game Kobe had 50 and grabbed a key offensive rebound just as SVG predicted he might).

/threadjack
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
I remember a regular season game, i think against the Mavericks, where Phil called a TO about 12 seconds into the Second Half because they gave up an open jumper. It was pretty jarring and after the team came back and won. I miss the hell out of that man.

(I believe it was 2008 - the game Kobe had 50 and grabbed a key offensive rebound just as SVG predicted he might).

/threadjack

He would call an instant TO and stomp onto the court in 2000-01 (when he could still jump off his chair) when someone would give up the baseline for a score. For some reason, that play irritated him to no end. Unfortunately, Kob was often the culprit. Frobe got his share of tongue lashings in those 2 yrs. I've got the video evidence, some of those scenes are like, "Wow..."

Here's a gm from 11/99. One of the more "annoyed Phil" gms I have uploaded:

spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

Yes! I knew NPZ would come through. And here it is.

http://bit.ly/1C4PLxF
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

I miss that loud ass whistle.

And the death stares he would give Kobe after an ill-advised jumper.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

It was game 7 at Sacramento, and it was early in the game (1st quarter I think, about midway or late in the quarter).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
at SAC, 2002, Gm 7

"I want you to run back! RUUUUUUUUN!!!! I'm talkin about RUNNING! YOU!, YOU!, YOU! AND YOU! Run back on defense!"

One of those small differences between Phil and Del. Regardless of every criticism Phil got in his years here, thank the Lawwd we had him for those 3 Gm 7s. 2000, Gm 7: "Don't go into Shaq! It's not time yet!" Two yrs earlier, we got swept by trying to dump it into Shaq over and over with Stockton, Eisley or whomever else collapsing on him for steals that the refs would never assess as fouls. Remember Malone hacking the sh out of Van Exel's wrist on a potential gm tier in that series or the year before? Malone got absolutely no ball. Del was of the mindset that Shaq was going to carry us, so get him the ball. Phil got us thru that 15 pt deficit with his unorthodox decisions. Like clockwork, smalls like Brian Shaw started hitting crucial 3s to start our momentum.

Oh man, I was infuriated after that play. Malone hacked him across the entire arm. I remember that play like yesterday. I punched a hole in the wall at my apartment. Ah to be young and ill-tempered...
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:

GOAT
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
at SAC, 2002, Gm 7

Phil wrote in one of his books that Pippen told him subsequently that pretty much the entire Blazers team was dead in that 4th quarter. Totally out of gas, particularly the older guys like Smith and Pippen. That helped. But yeah, it also helped we made shots at the right time.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
spflakers wrote:

GOAT

Gd. That was good. NPZ my man!
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject:

I never saw Phil more pissed in any game before or after this one. He was on fire in this game and knew this was for the title. If you watch Phil in the Nets series, I seriously do not even think he even coached that entire week and a half of that series.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
spflakers wrote:

GOAT

Gd. That was good. NPZ my man!

That arena is insane. Amazing they went into that arena and took game 7. In OT!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

Clips gotta finish the season right where they are, so we get a 2nd rounder that's protected 31-50 and 55-60
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: