Israeli beauty queen's selfie with Miss Lebanon during Miss Universe contest causes stir
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I love how people argue over who's the good guys and who's the bad guys in these conflicts. Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps they're both bad guys?

Really, they're all looking out for what they believe to be their own best interests. That is being done with the idea that they cannot trust the other, so there really can't be an agreement made.

Part of that has to do with religion... well, a lot of it. That's the wall between them.

The violence comes from trying to find solutions without any negotiation and talking with the other side since there is already that wall of mistrust that won't go away.

You should read the history of the conflict. It's certainly true that there are no "good guys" in war, but one side in this conflict (which is still ongoing) has a significant materiel advantage and has no qualms whatsover in using it to exact collective punishment en masse against large civilian populations.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject:

Fwiw, in this argument of good or bad right or wrong.. One side has a big brother who vetoes every single request from the international community that they be disciplined when it is deemed they have done wrong.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I love how people argue over who's the good guys and who's the bad guys in these conflicts. Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps they're both bad guys?

Really, they're all looking out for what they believe to be their own best interests. That is being done with the idea that they cannot trust the other, so there really can't be an agreement made.

Part of that has to do with religion... well, a lot of it. That's the wall between them.

The violence comes from trying to find solutions without any negotiation and talking with the other side since there is already that wall of mistrust that won't go away.

You should read the history of the conflict. It's certainly true that there are no "good guys" in war, but one side in this conflict (which is still ongoing) has a significant materiel advantage and has no qualms whatsover in using it to exact collective punishment en masse against large civilian populations.

Without that material advantage, they probably wouldn't exist anymore.

Israel is a cornered animal surrounded by those that want it destroyed. Right or wrong, they respond in a way that they believe allows them to survive and exist.

They do have the means to make some of those countries surrounding them cease to exist, but they haven't. So while their retribution to attacks may be viewed as strong handed, they have been holding back.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure someone can take the both of these beauty queens into a room and mediate the situation.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Israel A country that has to watch it's back, front, left and right sides. In order for there to be peace in that region both sides have to make concessions.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Israel is a cornered animal surrounded by those that want it destroyed. Right or wrong, they respond in a way that they believe allows them to survive and exist.

They do have the means to make some of those countries surrounding them cease to exist, but they haven't. So while their retribution to attacks may be viewed as strong handed, they have been holding back.

Because there wouldn't be horrible consequences for them annihilating entire countries? What the hell are you talking about? Do you think the global community would just be okay with, especially countries like Iran? People tend to not like massive destruction going on in the world, it tends to make them uneasy and worried about their own safety.

As far as I'm willing to care, they're both irrational (bleep) that don't deserve my sympathy or concern. I don't care who started it, I don't care who's more in the wrong. If I came across two feuding families and they're both making the same arguments about what the other side did to them, and it's been going on for generations, I'd just roll my eyes at both of them, especially if they were fighting over a sandbox that was supposedly magical. It's too absurd to deserve me taking it seriously and try to tally up the wrongdoings. (bleep) them both, they can fight over their meaningless sandbox for the end of time for all I care.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Because there wouldn't be horrible consequences for them annihilating entire countries? What the hell are you talking about? Do you think the global community would just be okay with, especially countries like Iran? People tend to not like massive destruction going on in the world, it tends to make them uneasy and worried about their own safety.

As far as I'm willing to care, they're both irrational (bleep) that don't deserve my sympathy or concern. I don't care who started it, I don't care who's more in the wrong. If I came across two feuding families and they're both making the same arguments about what the other side did to them, and it's been going on for generations, I'd just roll my eyes at both of them, especially if they were fighting over a sandbox that was supposedly magical. It's too absurd to deserve me taking it seriously and try to tally up the wrongdoings. (bleep) them both, they can fight over their meaningless sandbox for the end of time for all I care.

Ummm... okay?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Gentlemen, gentlemen, can we not set aside petty differences such as bloody territorial conflicts with global implications, and simply make some misogynistic, creepo, throwaway comments about how we oggled a couple of dainty, probably spicy-smelling young women?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Ummm... okay?

I'm guessing this response is supposed to imply that you don't think anything I said followed from what you said. So let me explain how the first paragraph (the second paragraph wasn't directed at you, but just a general rant about the topic) followed from something you said: your comment about how Israel could destroy all these countries if they wanted to but they don't, implies that somehow we should be giving Israel some kind of brownie points for choosing not to annihilate entire countries. I explained to you how an action like that would result in hugely negative consequences for Israel in the global community, and that would not be in the interest of their survival at all. So you don't get to assert that it's some act of charity that they don't eviscerate entire countries.

Last edited by Fan0Bynum17 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

So this is how WW3 gets started.....over a damn selfie...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
misogynistic, creepo, throwaway comments about how we oggled a couple of dainty, probably spicy-smelling young women?

These look like 5 shower a day gurlz to me. No musty butt. Sucks when they won't even validate my misogyny and creepo-ness.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Ummm... okay?

I'm guessing this response is supposed to imply that you don't think anything I said followed from what you said. So let me explain how the first paragraph (the second paragraph wasn't directed at you, but just a general rant about the topic) followed from something you said: your comment about how Israel could destroy all these countries if they wanted to but they don't, implies that somehow we should be giving Israel some kind of brownie points for choosing not to annihilate entire countries. I explained to you how an action like that would result in hugely negative consequences for Israel in the global community, and that would not be in the interest of their survival at all. So you don't get to assert that it's some act of charity that they don't eviscerate entire countries.

No. My comment was just an acknowledgement that you are rant that you just hate them both. It just seemed odd that you are even commenting on this topic.

As for your first part... I wasn't implying that they are charitable. And I already stated that all are acting out of their own self interests.

But if Isreal really did get fed up from being attacked and wiped out a neighbor, I don't really think they'd get too much more flack than they already get. Well, they'd lose some allies... but it's not like allies are in there protecting them anyways.

Nobody that isn't already trying to destroy them would join in and try to destroy them.

But it would be a mighty heinous act for them to do, so they won't do it unless there is no other choice.

I don't know if the same can be said for Hezbollah.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

No. My comment was just an acknowledgement that you are rant that you just hate them both. It just seemed odd that you are even commenting on this topic.

As for your first part... I wasn't implying that they are charitable. And I already stated that all are acting out of their own self interests.

But if Isreal really did get fed up from being attacked and wiped out a neighbor, I don't really think they'd get too much more flack than they already get. Well, they'd lose some allies... but it's not like allies are in there protecting them anyways.

Nobody that isn't already trying to destroy them would join in and try to destroy them.

But it would be a mighty heinous act for them to do, so they won't do it unless there is no other choice.

First of all, I don't "hate" either of them, that would require more emotional energy towards them than they deserve. Why do I comment though if I'm so apathetic towards an issue like this? Because while I'm apathetic towards the issue itself, I'm not apathetic towards people's responses to it: the need to declare one side to be on a moral highground, the need to take a side, the need to tally up the score, the need to actually join in on the overvaluing of a sandbox. There is no meaning in the details at this point, it's a chain reaction that will go on until it's so separated from its origin that exhaustion overwhelms their unattainable dream of what's "fair."

So you're not claiming that it's some charitable restraint, or some reason to assign them some slight moral superiority, but you don't know the same can be said for Hezbollah, and it wouldn't really put them in any worse of a situation than they are now (i.e. it wouldn't be against their self-interest)? Those claims cannot logically co-exist with each other, you are claiming that this is an act of restraint due to some kind of superior moral consideration. What else would be stopping them if not self-interest? You say what's stopping them is that it's heinous, but that is a moral consideration.

In regards to your claim that annihilating countries wouldn't hurt their self-interest, I disagree. Losing allies is a loss of protection, or else there's no point in having allies. Whether it's an explicit form of protection (military action, supplying arms/funds,) or an implicit one (if this happens, then we'll do this,) they're both forms of protection. Also, there's just the reality that people don't like it when there's a country annihilating other countries, because who's to say they'll stop there? So some countries that might be neutral or friends of them now, might become enemies.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Ummm... okay?

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Gentlemen, gentlemen, can we not set aside petty differences such as bloody territorial conflicts with global implications, and simply make some misogynistic, creepo, throwaway comments about how we oggled a couple of dainty, probably spicy-smelling young women?

I am sorry, but I will not stand idly by while the excellence of your post is simply disregarded. This misdirection must not stand! Good people, I implore you, please give this post the attention it deserves, nay, demands! And not about misspellings.

Perhaps not every single post of a middle eastern tinged subject need give rise to serious geopolitical concerns. If I made post about how much I like garlic and chives hummus, must it result in several pages of middle eastern politics, factual or not? What IS true is that I like garlic, chives, and hummus by themselves and when you put them together...c'est magnifique! And I also like what the subject matter of this photo is, the true subject matter.

I ask that any further devolution is met with replies that reiterate C M B's stand. Who's with me, or rather (I presume) him?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
C M B wrote:

I am sorry, but I will not stand idly by while the excellence of your post is simply disregarded. This misdirection must not stand! Good people, I implore you, please give this post the attention it deserves, nay, demands! And not about misspellings.

Perhaps not every single post of a middle eastern tinged subject need give rise to serious geopolitical concerns. If I made post about how much I like garlic and chives hummus, must it result in several pages of middle eastern politics, factual or not? What IS true is that I like garlic, chives, and hummus by themselves and when you put them together...c'est magnifique! And I also like what the subject matter of this photo is, the true subject matter.

I ask that any further devolution is met with replies that reiterate C M B's stand. Who's with me, or rather (I presume) him?

<JFK inflection> Let both soooides....seek to invoke....the wonders of sex....instead of its terrahs!

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Seriously. This site sucks sometimes.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
C M B wrote:

Seriously. This site sucks sometimes.

We wanna see those two Gaza STRIP, don't we, gents?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:

If I made post about how much I like garlic and chives hummus, must it result in several pages of middle eastern politics, factual or not?

How dare you bring up Hummus. Evil terrorist org based in Palestine. I don't know what garlic and chives have to do with their activities, but I must call you on it.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
C M B wrote:

I am chilln and eating some sweet chili kettle chips that deserve to fornicate with your garlic and chives hummus.. I sure wish I had something to go with...
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
focus wrote:
C M B wrote:

I am chilln and eating some sweet chili kettle chips that deserve to fornicate with your garlic and chives hummus.. I sure wish I had something to go with...

Dang that sounds like a good combo. Ate a big lunch, and still would scarf up a bag of sweet chile garlic chives hummus kettle chips if I had em.
rak_90046
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:

The Arabs/Lebanese making a big deal out of noting, stand standing next to a Jew/ Israeli. Don't see the Israelis going crazy like them.I hope the Lebanese don't stone her.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:
misogynistic, creepo, throwaway comments about how we oggled a couple of dainty, probably spicy-smelling young women?

These look like 5 shower a day gurlz to me. No musty butt. Sucks when they won't even validate my misogyny and creepo-ness.

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
focus wrote:
C M B wrote:

<JFK inflection> Let both soooides....seek to invoke....the wonders of sex....instead of its terrahs!

Brilliant!
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject:

Does anyone else wonder if the country of Slovenia has anything better to offer than that?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: