Galaxy Tab S 10.5
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: iPad Air 2 vs Galaxy Tab S 10.5

Up until this point, I've only had a laptop (2012 Mac Retina) and a smartphone (Note 4). I think I'm finally going to give into the tablet craze, though. I guess I can get either one since I won't be able to sync between the three devices anyway.

The Tab S has the better/larger screen, but it looks a bit more awkward to hold. However, given that I picked the Note 4 over the iPhone 6 plus, it would sort of feel like I was contradicting my own logic. What do you guys think?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject:

If you want actual tablet apps, get an Air 2. Much better app selection, better games, and better battery life (especially on standby). If I'm not using my iPad that much, I can leave it off the charger for a week and it only loses like 10% battery. If you leave an android tablet off a charger overnight it nearly goes dead. At least that was my experience with my Samsung Note 8.

The Air 2 is all kinds of awesome. I can't recommend it enough.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
If you want actual tablet apps, get an Air 2. Much better app selection, better games, and better battery life (especially on standby). If I'm not using my iPad that much, I can leave it off the charger for a week and it only loses like 10% battery. If you leave an android tablet off a charger overnight it nearly goes dead. At least that was my experience with my Samsung Note 8.

What kind of things do you use the Air 2 for? One of the reasons that I haven't purchased a tablet yet is that I'm not entirely sure what tablets do that you can't do on a smartphone or a laptop. But I've never had one, so I wouldn't know.

Do you think it would be weird to have picked the Note 4 over the 6 plus, only to get an Apple tablet?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject:

I voted for Princeton.

Kiss my Converse.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

What kind of things do you use the Air 2 for? One of the reasons that I haven't purchased a tablet yet is that I'm not entirely sure what tablets do that you can't do on a smartphone or a laptop. But I've never had one, so I wouldn't know.

Do you think it would be weird to have picked the Note 4 over the 6 plus, only to get an Apple tablet?

They're content consumption devices. Great for watching Netflix in bed, playing games, web browsing -- that sort of thing. I use mine for recipes and youtube and stuff a lot when cooking too. Tablet apps for iOS are very polished. Most android tablet apps are blown up phone apps. Especially if you want to game, there's really only one choice.

It wouldn't be weird to pick an Air 2 even though you passed on the 6+ because it's just plain a better tablet with a much better ecosystem. It will work well with your MacBook too.

At this point the only reason I'd get a Samsung tablet is if you want to get one of the ones with a Wacom digitizer and stylus and really need that functionality.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject:

What kind of case do you have? It feels really good without one, but IMO dropping it is more or less inevitable no matter how careful you are.

Do you use it as an E-reader as well?

Last thing-- What's the difference between a phone application and a tablet application? (Other than one being for a phone and the other being for a tablet.)

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
What kind of case do you have? It feels really good without one, but IMO dropping it is more or less inevitable no matter how careful you are.

Do you use it as an E-reader as well?

Last thing-- What's the difference between a phone application and a tablet application? (Other than one being for a phone and the other being for a tablet.)

I bought this case and it works well, but I use it without one a lot just because I love how thin and light it is. I use a Zagg glass screen protector that feels better than the plastic you normally see.

Yes I use it as an e-reader fairly often. Works well in that regard because the Air 2 is super light compared to earlier iPads.

Phone apps are designed for smaller screens. In android, they scale up so a lot of "tablet" apps there are really just scaled phone apps. By contrast, in the App Store, an app that's categorized as an iPad app is built for the iPad. It isn't a scaled phone app. That means better use of the tablet real estate and because of that, layouts and things you don't see in regular phone apps.

Check one out in an Apple Store. I'd had an iPad 2 for around 3.5 years, and several android tablets in the meantime and the Air 2 I got in November is just flat out the best tablet I've ever used. Super light, fast. It's smaller both in weight, thinness and bezels than older iPads. And of course, the best apps for a tablet.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject:

I think I'm going to go for it. Not sure whether to get the 64 GB or 128 GB, but I guess it's better to shell out $100 more than regret not having enough space.

Aren't you worried about dropping it when it's outside of the case? I think I might put it in the case when I need to carry it around, but take it out when I'm at home.

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I think I'm going to go for it. Not sure whether to get the 64 GB or 128 GB, but I guess it's better to shell out $100 more than regret not having enough space.

Aren't you worried about dropping it when it's outside of the case? I think I might put it in the case when I need to carry it around, but take it out when I'm at home.

That's what I do.

I went with 64, but I stream most of my media.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

I think it mainly comes down to the Apple ecosystem vs. Andriod's, and which you prefer. If you like Apple -- and especially if you have and like an iPhone or a Mac laptop -- then there's no reason to go away from it for a tablet. You have a mix, so your call.

To answer an earlier question, tablet apps are simply optimized for a tablet's screen size -- some apps don't translate well to the bigger screen. And I agree that since the library is a little more open for Android, more stuff can get in there that doesn't translate well to the larger screen and doesn't get fixed quickly. That said, I have found no shortage of apps that work great, although I'm not a gamer (except for occasional online poker).

Just to throw it out there, there's also the Google Nexus line of tablets:

LINK

I still use the previous generation 7" tablet, and it's perfect for my needs. At home it's just like DI said, and I also use it at work -- fits in my back pocket, so I easily can carry it around with me to meetings so I have my email, calendar and a browser there without having to lug around my laptop. The current 9" variety probably would be my purchase if I wanted to go with a larger tablet.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Bad time to buy any Samsung Tablet right now; new ones will be coming very soon (Probably going to be announced at Mobile World Congress in March). Samsung replaces these things faster than a fat kid can eat cake, unfortunately.

I was gonna buy a Samsung Tablet to replace my iPad2 during Black Friday, but then discovered the Tab Pro that was on sale, was outdated way back in May or so of last year. The Tab S is still expensive too.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
Bad time to buy any Samsung Tablet right now; new ones will be coming very soon (Probably going to be announced at Mobile World Congress in March). Samsung replaces these things faster than a fat kid can eat cake, unfortunately.

I was gonna buy a Samsung Tablet to replace my iPad2 during Black Friday, but then discovered the Tab Pro that was on sale, was outdated way back in May or so of last year. The Tab S is still expensive too.

What do you think of the 12.2 inch Tab Pro? I would like the larger screen, except it would obviously be more difficult to hold. What made you want to switch from Apple to Samsung?

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

The only Samsung products ive had a good experience with are TVs, anything tablet or phone related have been a nightmare to me.. definitely not smooth.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
The only Samsung products ive had a good experience with are TVs, anything tablet or phone related have been a nightmare to me.. definitely not smooth.

Did you know that large parts of the iPhone/iPad are also made by Samsung?
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
cisternachyli wrote:

What do you think of the 12.2 inch Tab Pro? I would like the larger screen, except it would obviously be more difficult to hold. What made you want to switch from Apple to Samsung?

I do like my iPad, but I dunno, I'm just getting bored of Apple's mobile ecosystem. I do have a Macbook Pro though, which I utterly love, but I'm not sold on iOS. I detest the iPhone and while the iPad is better, Android has really stepped up their Tablet game recently. iOS hasn't changed that much, but Samsung's skin seems much more colorful and nicer to look at and interact with.

I don't really know much about the specific models of the Galaxy Tablets, but I do know that all of them are outdated right now and are slated to be replaced. I'd wait until the new ones come out. I'm probably going to hold onto my iPad until Black Friday once again.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Did you know that large parts of the iPhone/iPad are also made by Samsung?

What does that have to do with my iphone 5 running a lot smoother than my galaxy s5 and my galaxy tab?
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:

I love Samsung. I have samsung phone, TVs and appliances (washer, dryer, fridge, stove, dishwasher). All great machines.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
marga86 wrote:

I love Samsung. I have samsung phone, TVs and appliances (washer, dryer, fridge, stove, dishwasher). All great machines.

how does your phone run?

Any suggestions on apps to make it run smoother? Example, right now I just sent a txt, it delayed like 2-3 seconds before sending.. when I type, it does the same thing. So annoying =\
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Clear that cache.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Is anyone having any ghosting issues with Apple? My Mac Retina held up fine for two years, but now I'm getting significant image persistence.

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Clear that cache.

been doing that :\
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I use a note pro 12.2. Works great.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Clear that cache.

been doing that :\

I am using a galaxy note 10.1 2 about 2 years old. At the time top of the line still runs good. Even better with kitkat OTA update. Although I had to do a factory reset after the update. Google saved about 80 percent of my apps and settings. It really seemed to improve battery life.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm late here but I'd go with the Air 2 for the triple core processor. Could do some cool stuff with that thing powering it.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject:

What color/bezel iPad did you get, DuncanIdaho? Leaning toward space grey.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: