Another investigation into Patriots cheating (Judge overturns Brady suspension, pg.18)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Pretty clear that the Patriots and Brady are badly tainted.

You continuously cheat over a long period of time, try and hide it, get caught and then don't cooperate with the investigation and you get 4 games and the loss of what will probably be the 30th pick of the draft?

That is getting off very very light. It is ridiculous actually, he deserved a full season minimum and I would have been fine with that and maybe three #1's.

It is time for the NFL to let the Patriots know that any further incidents will result in real penalties, not this joke of a punishment.

I beg to differ. 30th pick in the NFL draft in the first round is a lot different from in the NBA. You are losing out on some really quality players there considering the NFL has 7 rounds in the draft. The NFL laid down the hammer by penalizing the Pats not only a huge fine, draft picks and Brady not being able to play 4 games.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/11/robert-kraft-todays-punishment-far-exceeded-any-reasonable-expectation/

Quote:
Robert Kraft: Today’s punishment far exceeded any reasonable expectation

Back in January, Patriots owner Robert Kraft said he would demand an apology from the NFL if they couldn’t prove that anyone from the organization tampered with footballs during the AFC Championship game.

Kraft hasn’t gotten that apology and the punishment handed down by the league on Monday made it clear that none is forthcoming because the league feels that Tom Brady and members of the team’s equipment staff intentionally took air out of footballs in violation of the league’s rules. They fined the team $1 million, stripped them of a pair of draft picks and suspended Brady for the first four games of the 2015 season.

On Monday evening, Kraft released a statement in response to the penalties. The tone suggests that pictures like the one on the right will be few and far between in the years to come and that the Patriots will continue to fight against the findings in Ted Wells’s report.

“Despite our conviction that there was no tampering with footballs, it was our intention to accept any discipline levied by the league. Today’s punishment, however, far exceeded any reasonable expectation. It was based completely on circumstantial rather than hard or conclusive evidence,” the statement reads.

“We are humbled by the support the New England Patriots have received from our fans throughout the world. We recognize our fans’ concerns regarding the NFL’s penalties and share in their disappointment in how this one-sided investigation was handled, as well as the dismissal of the scientific evidence supported by the Ideal Gas Law in the final report.”

“Tom Brady has our unconditional support. Our belief in him has not wavered.”

It’s probably fair to say that Kraft’s belief in NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has wavered significantly from when Kraft stood up in support of Goodell when he came under criticism for his handling of the Ray Rice suspension.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject:

This puts me in mind of how the NBA did things to put the Lakers in check. When a franchise dominates the league gangs up on them.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
This puts me in mind of how the NBA did things to put the Lakers in check. When a franchise dominates the league gangs up on them.

Except the Lakers didn't engage in any cheating. Nor does the league have a record of give if them a slap on the wrist if they did.

The idea that the NFL is somehow clamping down on a team for simply being successful is laughable.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Except the Lakers didn't engage in any cheating. Nor does the league have a record of give if them a slap on the wrist if they did.

The idea that the NFL is somehow clamping down on a team for simply being successful is laughable.

Every team cheats. They're just not as good as the Patriots. If the Pats weren't winning so many SB's this would almost be a non issue.

Laughable is subjective.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon May 11, 2015 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Every team cheats. They're just not as good as the Patriots. If the Pats weren't winning so many SB's this would almost be a non issue.

OK, so tell me, how did the Lakers cheat and how did that cheating lead to the CPS trade being voided? Apparently you have news that I never saw.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

OK, so tell me, how did the Lakers cheat and how did that cheating lead to the CPS trade being voided? Apparently you have news that I never saw.

I was referring to the NFL.
Quote:
Every team cheats. They're just not as good as the Patriots

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Which is why I said why bring up the Lakers? Two totally different situations.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

To illustrate when a team dominates leagues gang up on them.

You say that's laughable. I say it's subjective.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
I'm surprised by the severity. My prediction was a 4 game suspension (to be whittled down to 2 games after NFLPA appeal), and a fine of about $275K to $500K to the Patriots org.

If you're a pitcher, you are caught doctoring a baseball, you get tossed from the game (one game out of 162). In football, if they suspect you had knowledge of under-inflated footballs, they suspend you 4 games, fine your team $1 million and take away two draft picks. Yeah, makes sense to me.

Goodall just flows whatever direction public opinion sways him. Dude doesn't have the sack to make a decision on his own. He should have been fired on the spot after he botched that Ray Rice incident so badly.

^^^This^^^

The only reason why he suspended Brady was because of that. No official proof Brady deflated, just likely he did, yet you suspend a guy with no pay whom sleeps at 8:30Pm every night and considers avocado ice cream a treat to keep himself in shape to play longer. Cheaters do not do things like that.

The sports fan and the person in general has really become a cesspool of disgusting douche bag. Those who are happy Brady is being suspended are more than likely self absorbed slobs who get off on those who are successful when they are punished. Pretty pathetic.

I am praying that that idiot Kraft finally comes to his senses and gets the rest of the idiot owners to oust this garbage of a commissioner and everything associated with him. The worst commissioner in the history of commissioners, sports or otherwise.

Logically speaking I can't wrap by head around NFL investigations. As someone who is used to thinking analytically, it's painful to see such mismanagement. These NFL investigations and punishments look like they were decided my a 1st grader.

I almost think these acts are done to feed the media, allowing NFL coverage year around. ESPN and the like wouldn't be nearly as significant without manufactured non-sport stories such as these.

Common denominator in all the NFL mishaps is none other than Roger Goodell. Get his out, and you will see a lot of these issues go away. I wish Paul Tagliabue had had an understudy in his 17 years in the league. He was extremely efficient and fair.

The confusion comes when you hold this act up to changes in the game that have happened recently. Changing rules on QB hits, leading with the head, hand contact with receivers. All changes that promote offensive play. Just as having QBs feel comfortable with the ball would also promote offensive play. It just doesn't make sense.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The difference being that the Lakers did nothing other than be elite when they were shafted by their Commissioner.

Meanwhile, the Patriots have a repeated record of outright cheating that the league was easy on before they "ganged up" on the Patriots.

There's a very obvious distinction there. NOT the same thing at all.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
24 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
I'm surprised by the severity. My prediction was a 4 game suspension (to be whittled down to 2 games after NFLPA appeal), and a fine of about $275K to $500K to the Patriots org.

If you're a pitcher, you are caught doctoring a baseball, you get tossed from the game (one game out of 162). In football, if they suspect you had knowledge of under-inflated footballs, they suspend you 4 games, fine your team $1 million and take away two draft picks. Yeah, makes sense to me.

Goodall just flows whatever direction public opinion sways him. Dude doesn't have the sack to make a decision on his own. He should have been fired on the spot after he botched that Ray Rice incident so badly.

^^^This^^^

The only reason why he suspended Brady was because of that. No official proof Brady deflated, just likely he did, yet you suspend a guy with no pay whom sleeps at 8:30Pm every night and considers avocado ice cream a treat to keep himself in shape to play longer. Cheaters do not do things like that.

The sports fan and the person in general has really become a cesspool of disgusting douche bag. Those who are happy Brady is being suspended are more than likely self absorbed slobs who get off on those who are successful when they are punished. Pretty pathetic.

I am praying that that idiot Kraft finally comes to his senses and gets the rest of the idiot owners to oust this garbage of a commissioner and everything associated with him. The worst commissioner in the history of commissioners, sports or otherwise.

So you're saying a guy obsessed with winning will do some things to win but not others?

Ya. If Brady is a cheater than the entire raiders team in the 70s was. Jerry Rice is, Gaylord perry is, etc. We pick and choose whom we call names, for whatever reasons and we do not label another guy for doing the same thing. The hypocrisy in all this is getting out of hand. Also, there was no definite proof he called anyone to deflate the balls. How the hell do you punish someone when you do not know for sure if they did it?

So a minute ago the argument was that a guy who eats avocado ice cream as a treat wouldn't sully himself by cheating, and when that is debunked, now it is "he's not the only one"?

For me it has always been about he isn't the only one. Every NFL QB changes the pressure in the footballs to suit their comfort level.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The difference being that the Lakers did nothing other than be elite when they were shafted by their Commissioner.

Meanwhile, the Patriots have a repeated record of outright cheating that the league was easy on before they "ganged up" on the Patriots.

There's a very obvious distinction there. NOT the same thing at all.

I understand the difference, that's not what I'm talking about. My position is when a team dominates the leagues gang up on them.

The Patriots deserve to be punished. If they weren't winning SB this would not be such a big issue.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The Patriots deserve to be punished.

And the Lakers did nothing to deserve punishment.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The Patriots deserve to be punished.

And the Lakers did nothing to deserve punishment.

True. The did nothing but dominate.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject:

The Patriots have been habitual cheaters. I am sure that played a big part in the punishment.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
The Patriots have been habitual cheaters. I am sure that played a big part in the punishment.

IA I just don't think there would be such a stink if they weren't winning so many SB's

Other teams caught cheating

LINK

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
32 wrote:

IA I just don't think there would be such a stink if they weren't winning so many SB's

Other teams caught cheating

LINK

This is their first SB win since Spygate long time ago and the scandal broke before that win.

And guess where that particular Denver Broncos coach learned videotaping from. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject:

Why make this an issue now AFTER the SB? The AFC title game should have been replayed if you wanted a soluation. They knew most of this stuff then. Interesting they break this report at the most ignored time of the NFL offseason.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject:

Aaron Rodgers:
Quote:
“‘I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it,'” Simms said Rodgers told them before the game.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Not even a Pats fan in the least, but Goodell being a spineless (bleep) being swayed by public sentiment after the bashing he received for being a spineless (bleep) in the Ray Rice issue is probably the biggest reason. The hand wringing though...jesus h.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Not as different as you believe. My problem isn't punishment, it is the severity of the punishment. The severity of the punishment looks like yet another overture by Goodell to appease the owners of franchises that have not been successful during the lengthy New England run. The NFL isn't much different than the NBA where you have some very bitter rivalries that are firmly embedded in the ownership suites. Goodell has been on the ropes internally within the NFL, and his political power is fairly low. The crazy severity of the punishment strongly suggests that Goodell is trying to ingratiate himself with many owners who hate the New England franchise.

The evidence is not conclusive, and the scientific testing was strictly amateur. The lab testing may not have been amateur, but reaching a conclusion base on poor test conditions, incomplete measurement, poor measurement equipment in the field, anecdotal evidence substituted for quantitative evidence, no "settling" of the footballs to room temperature before the game and during halftime (very significant, especially when you consider one set of footballs was tested first and hence cold) and no control test bed was nothing more than pandering by the firm assigned the work. I personally think that Brady should have known something was going on, but that is my subjective assessment based on the text messages and I know my conclusion is weak and not based on a preponderance of evidence, which in turn is the standard required by the NFL bylaws (i.e. "more probable than not").

Based on the weak evidence (which is the only objective evidence we have of wrong doing) and the potential of error (poor scientific evidence, statistically insignificant results) and the nature of the infraction, the punishment should have not been strong. Not to mention we are probably talking about less than 1 PSI though that is even subject to debate; it may have been zero.

But let's set that aside. Another commissioner in a major sport was retiring, and his lucrative retirement package was subject to ownership vote. That commissioner sided with the less than successful franchise owners to curry favor, rescinded an otherwise valid trade which irreparably harmed the short and intermediate future of the league's most successful franchise. That was a political act as well, one designed to appease the majority and buttress the commissioner's political standing.

Yes, anyone griping about "Basketball Reasons" should think twice about celebrating the severity of the "Deflategate" punishment.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Not as different as you believe. My problem isn't punishment, it is the severity of the punishment. The severity of the punishment looks like yet another overture by Goodell to appease the owners of franchises that have not been successful during the lengthy New England run. The NFL isn't much different than the NBA where you have some very bitter rivalries that are firmly embedded in the ownership suites. Goodell has been on the ropes internally within the NFL, and his political power is fairly low. The crazy severity of the punishment strongly suggests that Goodell is trying to ingratiate himself with many owners who hate the New England franchise.

The evidence is not conclusive, and the scientific testing was strictly amateur. The lab testing may not have been amateur, but reaching a conclusion base on poor test conditions, incomplete measurement, poor measurement equipment in the field, anecdotal evidence substituted for quantitative evidence, no "settling" of the footballs to room temperature before the game and during halftime (very significant, especially when you consider one set of footballs was tested first and hence cold) and no control test bed was nothing more than pandering by the firm assigned the work. I personally think that Brady should have known something was going on, but that is my subjective assessment based on the text messages and I know my conclusion is weak and not based on a preponderance of evidence, which in turn is the standard required by the NFL bylaws (i.e. "more probable than not").

Based on the weak evidence (which is the only objective evidence we have of wrong doing) and the potential of error (poor scientific evidence, statistically insignificant results) and the nature of the infraction, the punishment should have not been strong. Not to mention we are probably talking about less than 1 PSI though that is even subject to debate; it may have been zero.

But let's set that aside. Another commissioner in a major sport was retiring, and his lucrative retirement package was subject to ownership vote. That commissioner sided with the less than successful franchise owners to curry favor, rescinded an otherwise valid trade which irreparably harmed the short and intermediate future of the league's most successful franchise. That was a political act as well, one designed to appease the majority and buttress the commissioner's political standing.

Yes, anyone griping about "Basketball Reasons" should think twice about celebrating the severity of the "Deflategate" punishment.

None of that alters the distinct difference between the Lakers situation and the Patriots.

The Patriots have earned their reputation as a shady organization that operates outside the rules.

All the Lakers did was manage to execute a very favorable trade within the rules.

And for the record, I think this whole deflate gate thing is way overblown as far as severity of the act involved.

I also think that a 4 game suspension for player, even a star QB, pales greatly in comparison to rescinding a trade that would have greatly affected a franchises entire history going forward. So I'm not going to shed any tears for the Patriots in comparison to "Basketball reasons".
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

For those rushing to judge without bothering to believe that there might be another side to the story:

Quote:
The NFL might have some explaining to do.

One of the reasons listed for the strict punishment imposed on New England Patriots in the DeflateGate scandal was the team’s failure to be fully cooperative with the Wells Report investigation.

“The Wells report identifies two significant failures in this respect,” NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent wrote to the team. “The first involves the refusal by the club’s attorneys to make Mr. (Jim) McNally available for an additional interview, despite numerous requests by Mr. Wells and a cautionary note in writing of the club’s obligation to cooperate in the investigation. The second was the failure of Tom Brady to produce any electronic evidence (emails, texts, etc.), despite being offered extraordinary safeguards by the investigators to protect unrelated personal information. Although we do not hold the club directly responsible for Mr. Brady’s refusal to cooperate, it remains significant that the quarterback of the team failed to cooperate fully with the investigation.”

McNally, the Patriots’ officials locker room attendant, agreed to be interviewed over the phone, but the NFL declined his offer, a league source told ProFootballTalk. McNally lives in New Hampshire and has a full-time job outside his part-time employment with the Patriots. He didn’t want to participate in another in-person interview at least partially because he had been “ambushed at his home by ESPN’s Kelly Naqi based on a perceived leak from her husband, a former league-office employee who now works for the Jaguars,” ProFootballTalk wrote.

http://nesn.com/2015/05/report-jim-mcnally-was-willing-to-be-questioned-over-phone-nfl-declined/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Quote:

DMR wrote:

Quote:
None of that alters the distinct difference between the Lakers situation and the Patriots.

The Patriots have earned their reputation as a shady organization that operates outside the rules.

All the Lakers did was manage to execute a very favorable trade within the rules.

And for the record, I think this whole deflate gate thing is way overblown as far as severity of the act involved.

I also think that a 4 game suspension for player, even a star QB, pales greatly in comparison to rescinding a trade that would have greatly affected a franchises entire history going forward. So I'm not going to shed any tears for the Patriots in comparison to "Basketball reasons".

angrypuppy's post is the bases for my stance. The Lakers trade being voided and the Patriots cheating are two different things. I understand the difference. That's not why I coupled the franchises.

When I said league I meant owners. The Dan Gilbert's of the NFL teaming up to disparage and weaken the Patriots.

They've succeeded. Taking first and fourth round draft choices. I would love to see their vindictive jealousy come back and bite them in their asses by New England winning the Super Bowl next season.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 14 of 24
Jump to: