LAKERS -at- SUNS - 1-19-15 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richmond
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject:

Thanx DB spot on...and not that I think it mattered for the final result but come-one refs...really??? Our guys are getting hammered and there were at least 3 phantom calls where even the announcers were looking for fouls..I love the one on Hill where he and Jeremy don't touch him...that was my favorite!!
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
summerly wrote:
catman2u wrote:
summerly wrote:
Login and say thank you to DB
I periodically peruse-google the opposing teams newspapers, forums, et. al. to get an idea how the other teams fans and media see the games. I've haven't had time to check EVERY other cities alternatives but of the ones I have, NOTHING comes close to the decisive critique that DB gives. i don't know what his day job is but it seems clear he could quit it in favor of bb commentary. He is so good, thanks DB.
True, DB is one of the reasons why I think LG is a great forum and I'd love to stay.
Agree about the comment about how great are the breakdowns following most games!

The Lakers play hard, just not hard enough
(Kenny Smith)

Who are the most mentally toughest on the roster?

Which players need to display the needed/greater mental toughness?

Since this forum have often complained about not sharing the ball, what are the thoughts of Swaggy playing like Kobe without the same success at critical times of this game?

I don't think Swaggy plays like Kobe, he plays something like the Clips Crawford. I was glad to see him get hot and this game shows he doesn't always have to create his shot and can be effective off of the catch and shoot.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject:

When Tony Brothers set a wonderfully executed screen on Lin, the game was still close.

They stopped playing as hard after that. They stopped running shooters off the three, took their eyes off their mean and left them drift to open spots.

Offensively, if going to Jordan Hill in the high post is how you initiate your offense 8 out of 10 times....you will have issues.
Lakerbull
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject:

my morning after ritual...

I just watched the first half...

i put it on sig for convenience sakes.
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject:

To watch or not to watch, that is the question. - Nshid

orky
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject:

Great write-up as always, DB. I'm a big Lin fan but throughout the first half, he stuck with his typical play:

Shave off precious seconds from the shot clock, then dump it to someone at the top of the key, unfortunately Hill most of the times. Hill takes the J or passes it to someone to take the J, leaving the boards to someone else.

In the first half, we were playing great team ball and everyone on the Lakers scored at least 3 points. Mind you, we were getting calls left and right & taking advantage of our size to bring down the boards.

In the second half, we got turnover happy mostly due to our bigs having the ball too long and trying to play make at the top of the key. Lin can't just dump the ball right in the beginning to a big and disappear for the possession.

On multiple plays, it wasn't just Lin disappearing. When a player was on the strong side with double teams coming in, we'd have 3 guys on the weak side just not moving. We are too dependent on the ISO to expect effective screens and actual plays.

The biggest dagger was the Suns pushing our bigs to the perimeter or to the double/triple teams leaving their other 2 streaky guards wide open for the layup or triple. At their size, our bigs need to be a threat in the paint and have the vision to know when someone is cutting back.

Last but not least, NY went into Kobe mode. It's great to have a player on fire and we definitely needed it. However, the other Lakers are going to expect Nick to ISO and get sloppy on both sides of the ball. They end up going cold and need to force themselves back in it.
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject:

orky wrote:
Great write-up as always, DB. I'm a big Lin fan but throughout the first half, he stuck with his typical play:

Shave off precious seconds from the shot clock, then dump it to someone at the top of the key, unfortunately Hill most of the times. Hill takes the J or passes it to someone to take the J, leaving the boards to someone else.

In the first half, we were playing great team ball and everyone on the Lakers scored at least 3 points. Mind you, we were getting calls left and right & taking advantage of our size to bring down the boards.

In the second half, we got turnover happy mostly due to our bigs having the ball too long and trying to play make at the top of the key. Lin can't just dump the ball right in the beginning to a big and disappear for the possession.

On multiple plays, it wasn't just Lin disappearing. When a player was on the strong side with double teams coming in, we'd have 3 guys on the weak side just not moving. We are too dependent on the ISO to expect effective screens and actual plays.

The biggest dagger was the Suns pushing our bigs to the perimeter or to the double/triple teams leaving their other 2 streaky guards wide open for the layup or triple. At their size, our bigs need to be a threat in the paint and have the vision to know when someone is cutting back.

Last but not least, NY went into Kobe mode. It's great to have a player on fire and we definitely needed it. However, the other Lakers are going to expect Nick to ISO and get sloppy on both sides of the ball. They end up going cold and need to force themselves back in it.

I dis-agree, Lin played a great floor game throughout the game. Just because he doesn't score does't mean he wasn't involved. To me it seemed like he got into the offense quickly, got guys the ball off cuts. When Clarkson came in with the 2nd unit, that's when all hell broke loose. He has no idea how to run the offense and was completely lost. Turning it over and dribbling too much. Notice Nick got hot when Lin was feeding him off fast breaks? Nick should just stick to catch and shoot situations at the end, when he tries to go ISO he always gets a turnover cause they're doubling him and he's too IGNANT to pass the ball.
orky
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject:

trunkz08 wrote:
orky wrote:

I dis-agree, Lin played a great floor game throughout the game. Just because he doesn't score does't mean he wasn't involved. To me it seemed like he got into the offense quickly, got guys the ball off cuts. When Clarkson came in with the 2nd unit, that's when all hell broke loose. He has no idea how to run the offense and was completely lost. Turning it over and dribbling too much. Notice Nick got hot when Lin was feeding him off fast breaks? Nick should just stick to catch and shoot situations at the end, when he tries to go ISO he always gets a turnover cause they're doubling him and he's too IGNANT to pass the ball.

Completely agree with your assessment. I think Lin got going better in the second half but the damage was already done by Clarkson. The beauty of Kobe's 17 assist game a few nights ago was hitting players on the move for catch-and-shoot opportunities. Lin found Young for many of those but when Lin passed it to Hill and Ed in rhythm, those two guys put it back on the floor and got sloppy.
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

orky wrote:
trunkz08 wrote:
orky wrote:

Completely agree with your assessment. I think Lin got going better in the second half but the damage was already done by Clarkson. The beauty of Kobe's 17 assist game a few nights ago was hitting players on the move for catch-and-shoot opportunities. Lin found Young for many of those but when Lin passed it to Hill and Ed in rhythm, those two guys put it back on the floor and got sloppy.

Yeah, Hill's been really sloppy lately. I'm not too sure we should use him at the high post, he's not very good at that spot. We need to scrap that play, I would rather have him run a PnR instead of that high post with Hill.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

trunkz08 wrote:
orky wrote:
trunkz08 wrote:
orky wrote:

Yeah, Hill's been really sloppy lately. I'm not too sure we should use him at the high post, he's not very good at that spot. We need to scrap that play, I would rather have him run a PnR instead of that high post with Hill.

I would too. I think Hill should do a minimum of dribbling. Maybe try to get open in position and then hope the facilitators, Kobe, Lin or Price will find him. Wes and sometimes Wayne seems pretty good at finding open men too.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
summerly wrote:
catman2u wrote:
summerly wrote:
Login and say thank you to DB
I periodically peruse-google the opposing teams newspapers, forums, et. al. to get an idea how the other teams fans and media see the games. I've haven't had time to check EVERY other cities alternatives but of the ones I have, NOTHING comes close to the decisive critique that DB gives. i don't know what his day job is but it seems clear he could quit it in favor of bb commentary. He is so good, thanks DB.
True, DB is one of the reasons why I think LG is a great forum and I'd love to stay.
Agree about the comment about how great are the breakdowns following most games!

The Lakers play hard, just not hard enough
(Kenny Smith)

Who are the most mentally toughest on the roster?

Which players need to display the needed/greater mental toughness?

Since this forum have often complained about not sharing the ball, what are the thoughts of Swaggy playing like Kobe without the same success at critical times of this game?
I don't think Swaggy plays like Kobe, he plays something like the Clips Crawford. I was glad to see him get hot and this game shows he doesn't always have to create his shot and can be effective off of the catch and shoot.
At the end of the game, the offense became an ISO for Swaggy where he pounded his dribble for most of the shot clock and missed. Since this resulted in few doubleteams, no P&R/screen action, stopped movement from the other Lakers (since everybody knew he was not going to pass the ball and allowed the defense to just watch him.

It is similar that Swaggy and Jamal work in similar ways while resulting in similar results
webattorney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:

DB's game review is the best (and as free of bias as possible), but for the life of me, I can't understand those symbols. I wish DB uses 1 to 10 point system instead. For less intelligent posters like myself, can you use the point system instead?

By the way, I got the feeling that Phoenix can always turn it on to their 2nd gear and run away from Lakers at any time.
infinite-loop
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:

webattorney wrote:
DB's game review is the best (and as free of bias as possible), but for the life of me, I can't understand those symbols. I wish DB uses 1 to 10 point system instead. For less intelligent posters like myself, can you use the point system instead?

By the way, I got the feeling that Phoenix can always turn it on to their 2nd gear and run away from Lakers at any time.

Yeah, they didn't even need gears 3 and 4 against the Lakers.
philnyc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject:

orky wrote:

The announcers made repeated reference to Scott's desired game plan, which was to slow down the pace of the game to keep PHX from playing up-tempo...so Lin shaving seconds off the clock probably had something to do with that.
purple.23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:

philnyc wrote:
orky wrote:

The announcers made repeated reference to Scott's desired game plan, which was to slow down the pace of the game to keep PHX from playing up-tempo...so Lin shaving seconds off the clock probably had something to do with that.
Didn't they mention something about passing the ball 4 times before you shoot?

Seriously, in this stupid system where bigs on the elbow, Lin is easily replaceable with someone like Price.
Crystal99
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: I read your ratings every time,

just want to make sure to say thank you
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
When Tony Brothers set a wonderfully executed screen on Lin, the game was still close.

They stopped playing as hard after that. They stopped running shooters off the three, took their eyes off their mean and left them drift to open spots.

Offensively, if going to Jordan Hill in the high post is how you initiate your offense 8 out of 10 times....you will have issues.

Yep. A losing strategy, if you can call it that. When Jordan Hill has one of his super hot game then Lin and Price will have 10 plus assists. Kobe maybe 17. Then either Hill goes cold and/or the other team adjusts. Imagine that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: