Lakers Free Agent Interests: Dragic, Monroe, Butler
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Lakers Free Agent Interests: Dragic, Monroe, Butler

Haven't seen this posted. Apologies if it has...

2015 NBA free agency already is getting confusing

Quote:
"The Lakers are also known to be interested in pairing Dragic with Kobe Bryant, but the list of suitors is expected to be long. While Dragic's production has dipped this season (his scoring dropped from a career-high 20.3 points per game to 16.9; assists are down from 5.9 to 4.1 per game), it's no secret as to why."

Quote:
"Whether Monroe gets a true max or not, he's going to receive a lucrative deal, and the Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks and Atlanta Hawks are among the possible suitors."

Quote:
"A strong perimeter defender, Butler has blossomed into the Bulls' best offensive player and an All-Star, averaging 20.6 points. Teams are going to offer a max deal (hello, Los Angeles Lakers), and the Bulls would be hard-pressed not to match."
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

I've heard Greg Monroe's name tossed around but never really paid attention to his game.

Is he a legit starting center? More importantly is he what the Lakers need...a rim protector?
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
I've heard Greg Monroe's name tossed around but never really paid attention to his game.

Is he a legit starting center? More importantly is he what the Lakers need...a rim protector?

He's legit but not a rim protector by any means. He sucks defensively. Well at least last season, not sure if he has improved this season on that end.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:

He's not a good defender, but he's more polished offensively than Hill, or any other big man that we have, is. Wouldn't mind if we went after him.

I really hope we at least attempt to go after Butler and Dragic too, even if it's unlikely that they'd leave their current situations.

Last edited by Lakers95 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

Dragic is the most realistic option, would be a great fit here. Monroe has looked good after the Smith trade. The Bulls will match Butler since he's a RFA.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:

He's a legit starting center. Only 24 an avg 15/10 in 30 mpg. He's improved defensively as well.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

monroe is a horrible trade target but a very good free agent signing.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

The allure of Monroe is that he might improve, is UFA, and his max is the rookie one.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

I think the Lakers have always been interested in Monroe. Being a RFA last summer they didn't pursue him. I do see him being on the radar for the Lakers.

If we come out with Dragic/Monroe (assuming we don't get a top 5 pick) that isn't too bad.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
The allure of Monroe is that he might improve, is UFA, and his max is the rookie one.

I would add consistent and productive to that list - whether he improves or not.

that's hard to find with bigs, certainly in today's game, never mind available 25 year olds...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
24 wrote:

I would add consistent and productive to that list - whether he improves or not.

that's hard to find with bigs, certainly in today's game, never mind available 25 year olds...

He's a smart and measured player. Never too high, never too low.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

Last summer we were expected to go after Lowry, Stephenson, Bledsoe, and Parsons.

Instead we begged for Melo, inquired about Lebron, and settled for Lin.

These list are only speculation based on the assumption we have any common sense. And we have Jim Buss so...
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

Depends where we fall in the draft. If we get a top 2 pick, then it's either Okafor at 1 or Towns at 2... in which case, we're plenty stacked at the PG and C positions with one of those guys + Randle, Hill and Davis.

Our PG, SF and backup SG positions are horrible right now. So Dragic is a must and then we need probably 2-3 more guys lol. We have Houston's first rounder... so hopefully, we get a good player for one of these positions too.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

i want Butler. i think Dragic is heading to Houston either by deadline or this off season. and i'd rather resign Davis than going after Monroe.
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

Dragic has been awesome since the end of November. Must have on Lakers.

Ball park stats:
18 ppg
4.3 reb
4.5 assists
54% FG
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i want Butler. i think Dragic is heading to Houston either by deadline or this off season. and i'd rather resign Davis than going after Monroe.

Don't see why he'd want to go to Houston and like Phx, see the ball taken out of his hand with Harden.

At least with LA, Kobe would only have 1 year left.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
Last summer we were expected to go after Lowry, Stephenson, Bledsoe, and Parsons.

These list are only speculation based on the assumption we have any common sense. And we have Jim Buss so...
Until we actually get a franchise-level player, either via draft or UFA, we're not going to (and shouldn't) blow our money on mid-level guys. Bledsoe was a RFA... so that wasn't going to happen anyhow. Stephenson has been a bust. Parsons was a RFA too and we were certainly not going to pay him what Dallas has for a 14-15 pt scorer at SF... we already have that with Young. It took an obscene offer from Dallas for Houston to let him walk as a RFA.

Lowry was the only one we wanted... but we decided to wait on Melo/Lebron. Once we signed Lin, i think we felt that we had our PG signing. Too bad Lin hasn't panned out.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:

Until we actually get a franchise-level player, either via draft or UFA, we're not going to (and shouldn't) blow our money on mid-level guys. Bledsoe was a RFA... so that wasn't going to happen anyhow. Stephenson has been a bust. Parsons was a RFA too and we were certainly not going to pay him what Dallas has for a 14-15 pt scorer at SF... we already have that with Young. It took an obscene offer from Dallas for Houston to let him walk as a RFA.

Lowry was the only one we wanted... but we decided to wait on Melo/Lebron. Once we signed Lin, i think we felt that we had our PG signing. Too bad Lin hasn't panned out.

Lin also came with a draft pick.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:

True. I would have liked Lowry but I understand the Lakers going after LBJ/Melo first...

Hopefully we can glean some lessons in this upcoming summer. While I appreciate swinging for the fences, there is also a measure of reality that the FO should have when it comes to pursuing guys like MGasol/LMA/Rondo. Inquire but move fast. Don't wait 2 weeks for them to finish their 5 city tour.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:

TWO draft picks, a 1st and a 2nd rounder. The Jeremy Lin trade was a great one.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

I don't think Lowry was coming either way.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:

When it comes to Jim Buss in the front office, always choose the option which involves going full (bleep).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I don't think Lowry was coming either way.

Yeah. But knowing his prickly personality, the moment a team like the Lakers told him to wait for Melo/LBJ he probably got all Napoleon complex on them. If he was the #1 target for the Lakers (which he wasn't) that's a different scenario.
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

24 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:

Going after mid-level guys or even B level stars is working out great for Atlanta, aka, Spurs east.

Franchise player, 2nd-tier players...I don't really care. I just want to root for a team that values the new NBA model for winning (crisp ball movement in the half court sets, shooters to space the floor, sound team defense).

It's a beautiful thing to watch and our squad, sadly thinks it doesn't produce championships.

Last edited by fan4life on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

kray28_ wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:

When it comes to Jim Buss in the front office, always choose the option which involves going full (bleep).

Like Stephenson?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: