Lakers Free Agent Interests: Dragic, Monroe, Butler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
Durant,AD,Westbrook and Butler.....Grab two of them to join Randle and our (hopefully) top 4 pick.

Realistic....most probably not.

By getting Dragic and or Monroe we blow the chance of getting Durant/Westbrook/AD......As the great Chick Hearn said...."the chances are slim and none, and slim just left the building..."

So I think the lakers FO "should" have at least some idea of where these guys minds are at before plunging for Dragic and or Monroe the tier 2 FA's........

Westbrook isn't a free agent until 2017; there is 0% chance Davis leaves a 5 year max.

Butler is a RFA; Durant, well, lots of things have to go right to get him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject:

Remember folks, with Jimmy Butler, it's a "rookie max" contract, not a super-post rookie deal ala Lebron/Kobe/etc. I know it's a lot of money, but assuming Bulls are cheap, they'd sign him and either:

1. trade him later;
2. trade off other great assets to get under the luxury line (have tons of assets like Taj, Mirotic if they needed to shed contracts).

I'm almost 100% confident Bulls keep Butler.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject:

Chicago would probably try hard to match any offer for Butler; he's their best current player and may have additional upside to his game. I'd love to have him here for the Lakers. I see him as a proven all-rounder who's entering his prime, capable of reducing some weak areas (jump shooting, tougness, athleticism, defense) and filling a position of real weakness (big wing) for the Lakers.

Jerry West acquired Jamaal Wilkes at a similar career junction and was declared a genius for rebuilding the franchise, once Magic Johnson was obtained. Butler may not be capable of being the best player on a championship team, but he may be an ideal second or third best guy. the way Wilkes was for us for years.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Chicago would probably try hard to match any offer for Butler; he's their best current player and may have additional upside to his game. I'd love to have him here for the Lakers. I see him as a proven all-rounder who's entering his prime, capable of reducing some weak areas (jump shooting, tougness, athleticism, defense) and filling a position of real weakness (big wing) for the Lakers.

Jerry West acquired Jamaal Wilkes at a similar career junction and was declared a genius for rebuilding the franchise, once Magic Johnson was obtained. Butler may not be capable of being the best player on a championship team, but he may be an ideal second or third best guy. the way Wilkes was for us for years.

I agree with you, but due to his RFA status (and his rise as a cornerstone player for that team), the only way I see them parting with Butler is if the Lakers include a top 5 pick for him. I wouldn't do that, but say the Lakers get the 4th or 5th pick (so no Okafor, Towns), would Chicago take cap space + that pick for Butler + their 2015 1st? That's something the front office would consider IMO, though it may not be the best.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject:

If Lakers land the #1 overall pick ... the odds of the Lakers getting Durant increases 10 fold.

You would be naive to think that the Lakers would not be offering the #1 pick to OKC for Durant. This trade could happen with a gentle nudge from Durant's reps.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate

Last edited by KobeRe-Loaded on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject:

FWIW...

- LOVE Dragic.

- I like Monroe, but we need a legit rim protector.

- In this "era of the PG," I'm really intrigued by a potential guard trio of Dragic/Clarkson/D'Angelo Russell. That could be fun to watch.

- LOVE Batum, too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
If Lakers land the #1 overall pick ... the odds of the Lakers getting Durant increases 10 fold.

You would be naive to think that the Lakers would not be offering the #1 pick to OKC for Durant. This trade could happen with a gentle nudge from Durant's reps.

Yeah, but Durant isn't that type of personality. I think he will play out his contract. I would be concerned that the Lakers give up a #1 pick and then have to re-recruit Durant in 2016. That's how you set back the franchise another 5 years (on top of the 3-4 years we've been set back after CP3).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
FWIW...

- LOVE Dragic.

- In this "era of the PG," I'm really intrigued by a potential guard trio of Dragic/Clarkson/D'Angelo Russell. That could be fun to watch.

- LOVE Batum, too.

We've only got a limited budget of either around $21-22m (with top 5 pick) or $27-28m (w/out top 5 pick). Going to be a bit tight.
Nick the Quick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
B_P wrote:
FWIW...

- LOVE Dragic.

- LOVE Batum, too.

We've only got a limited budget of either around $21-22m (with top 5 pick) or $27-28m (w/out top 5 pick). Going to be a bit tight.

I thought the numbers were slightly lower so I like your numbers better!

With that amount, we could end up with monroe level player and a very solid bench player. That's not too bad given we will also have 2 lottery talents joining us next year as well.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject:

Nick the Quick wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
B_P wrote:
FWIW...

- LOVE Dragic.

- LOVE Batum, too.

With that amount, we could end up with monroe level player and a very solid bench player. That's not too bad given we will also have 2 lottery talents joining us next year as well.

Yeah, getting 2/3 of the Dragic/Monroe/Butler trio is nearly impossible given our budget (only possible if Kobe retires, which I don't think he will).

It would be 1 of the 3, and room for at best $3-5m (and a $3m room exception) if we draft a top 5 pick.

Without a top 5 pick, around 1 out of the 3 (assuming near max or max) and about 8-9m (plus room exception).
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject:

GET READY LAKERS FANS because it seems the only way this franchise will get rebuilt is going to be through the draft. I have a feeling that because of the LAKERS FRANCHISE and Championship Pedigree, most teams if not all aren't willing to bow down and offer their RFA players so they can go and dwell in LALA land for the shot at a possible championship.

Too many of those have already taken place in their opinions. Most Owners are too reluctant and will probably match any max deals the Lakers offer.
With that being said it basically leaves us to the NBA Draft and FA Pool of players nobody wants.

If we're considering Butler, Monroe, and Dragic, those are all good players, I'll even go as far as to say All Star players, but it's not enough for this LA Franchise.

In order to come here and win a championship, you have to become a Superstar player. Let's look at it like this, IMO in order for the Lakers to compete next year for a title, they would need ALL 3 of those players to just be competitive in the west, rounded out with an aging Bryant and we can definitely make some noise in the playoffs. Round that roster out with a Kevin Durant and we're in a whole different category. There is a huge difference between All Star and Superstar, Good and Great!
We can offer Max Contracts to those players, but my guess is Butler stays with the Bulls, Monroe bolts for New York Knicks and Dragic is a definite possibility for us! After that it's slim pickings and some young athlete from the draft with a ton of upside!
Let's say a miracle happens and we get all three our roster would look like this:

PG: Dragic/Lin/Clarkson
SG: Kobe/Young/Ellington
SF: Butler/Johnson/Kelly
PF: Randle/Davis/Boozer
C: Monroe/Hill/Black

That teams is more formidable than the current team, I think we could keep a Boozer for another 2 years to help the young guys but Randle will be back and a beast next year!

Actually I hope we get all 3 of those guys, it'll make for an exciting team, I doubt it, but there's always hope.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
GET READY LAKERS FANS because it seems the only way this franchise will get rebuilt is going to be through the draft. I have a feeling that because of the LAKERS FRANCHISE and Championship Pedigree, most teams if not all aren't willing to bow down and offer their RFA players so they can go and dwell in LALA land for the shot at a possible championship.

Too many of those have already taken place in their opinions. Most Owners are too reluctant and will probably match any max deals the Lakers offer.
With that being said it basically leaves us to the NBA Draft and FA Pool of players nobody wants.

If we're considering Butler, Monroe, and Dragic, those are all good players, I'll even go as far as to say All Star players, but it's not enough for this LA Franchise.

In order to come here and win a championship, you have to become a Superstar player. Let's look at it like this, IMO in order for the Lakers to compete next year for a title, they would need ALL 3 of those players to just be competitive in the west, rounded out with an aging Bryant and we can definitely make some noise in the playoffs. Round that roster out with a Kevin Durant and we're in a whole different category. There is a huge difference between All Star and Superstar, Good and Great!
We can offer Max Contracts to those players, but my guess is Butler stays with the Bulls, Monroe bolts for New York Knicks and Dragic is a definite possibility for us! After that it's slim pickings and some young athlete from the draft with a ton of upside!
Let's say a miracle happens and we get all three our roster would look like this:

That teams is more formidable than the current team, I think we could keep a Boozer for another 2 years to help the young guys but Randle will be back and a beast next year!

Actually I hope we get all 3 of those guys, it'll make for an exciting team, I doubt it, but there's always hope.

Look at the cap numbers. We literally cannot afford your lineup. At best, we can have 1 of the 3 guys in the article. And Hill's team option would have to be declined and Lin signing for peanuts.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

That teams is more formidable than the current team

Er... You think?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
lakurluv wrote:

Er... You think?

Wait, we're not allowed to add 3 all-stars or near all stars in utter defiance of the salary cap? Come on now...
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

Goran Dragic is definitely my preferred point guard acquisition. No need to even elaborate on that.

Greg Monroe is a player that I would like to have but only as a consolation prize to losing out on Marc Gasol; whom we aren't getting. We need rim protection and we aren't getting that from Monroe, Hill or Randle. So we'll definitely be lacking there one way or another. Still... Monroe would be a good pickup, all things considered.

Like John Wall, Klay Thompson and many others, Jimmy Butler is that player we just aren't getting. I refuse to even humor the notion of us acquiring a top-notch restricted free agent. It just isn't in the cards for us or anyone else not named the Chicago Bulls.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject:

Yes, I think the Lottery/draft will dictate our strategy.

If we get a top 5 pick, we can either:

1. draft a big if in top 3,
2. draft a wing like Stanley Johnson/Justice/other,
3. trade down,
4. trade pick for other players.

But assuming we don't get it, we only have room for 1 max, and about 8-10m in cap space thereafter with a room exception. The notion of getting 2 out of Dragic/Monroe/Butler is literally impossible (unless we trade for Butler somehow, possibly a top 5 pick).
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

the type of cap room we're likely to have makes joseph even more attractive imo.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

There are a lot of great 3's in FA this year, unfortunately, most are restricted.
I love Butler, but no way the Bulls let him walk for nothing. Same with Kawhi Leonard, Green and Harris. Love Wes Mathews, and he is unrestricted, but the Blazers have something great going, and no way Allen lets Mathews get away, dude has more money than any other NBA owner. (Remember, Ballmer used to work FOR him).

If you move Swaggy, and play your cards right, you MAY have enough for the likes of Monroe plus either Dragic/Knight/Jackson. I like Swag. He'd be great on an MLE for a team like the Blazers, who have a solid starting 5 but need a scorer off the bench. The Lakers need a complete rebuild, and what we need is flexibility (cap space and assets), so I'd move him for a 2nd rounder and expirings.

Monroe is really good offensively. Defensively he's not horrible but he does not block shots/protect the rim. If we keep the pick and stay in the 4-5 range, I love Willie Cauley Stein. He is another Tyson Chandler/Deandre Jordan, but with potentially more offensive upside. If we pair Monroe, Randle and WCS, we have a great bigs rotation long term. I used to think you couldn't pair Monroe and Randle, but after seeing Randle in summer league I changed my opinion. Dude can ball. I know he hasn't proven it yet, but he showed me a lot more than I presumed about him (I thought he was strictly a banger, but he is a lot more than that).
A Monroe/Randle/WCS bigs combo would be amazing for a long time, and that will help recruit someone like Durant in 2016.

Like I said earlier, lots of great 3's, but I don't think any are realistic, so I focus on PG with the rest of our cap space. I love Dragic, but it is likely he gets moved before the trade deadline, and then may stay in his new location (like Rondo). I'd still make him an offer. I like Knight, but I think it's unlikely the Bucks let him walk. Jackson intrigues me. OKC will definitely let him walk, the question is is he what we are looking for?

My pipe is Monroe and Dragic, which could work if you move Swaggy (it is also very possible the cap rises more than anticipated).

In the draft, I like WCS with our pick (hopefully we keep it).
Then address the 3 and the 1 (I like Hollis Jefferson late in the first round. Horrible shooter but a great defender). I also think there are several late first/early 2nd PG's who will be available. If we get Dragic or Jackson, this player can be brought along slowly behind the newly signed starter.

A great bigs combo (Monroe/Randle/WCS) combined with PG depth (Dragic/Jackson and a draft pick (Delon Wright, Tyus Jones, Jerian Grant), with athletic perimeter defenders (Hollis Jefferson/Norman Powell) will transform our roster into a young/athletic, asset filled roster that would make us very attractive to super star 2016 FA's like Durant/Lebron.
Nick the Quick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Nick the Quick wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
B_P wrote:
FWIW...

- LOVE Dragic.

- LOVE Batum, too.

Yeah, getting 2/3 of the Dragic/Monroe/Butler trio is nearly impossible given our budget (only possible if Kobe retires, which I don't think he will).

It would be 1 of the 3, and room for at best $3-5m (and a $3m room exception) if we draft a top 5 pick.

Without a top 5 pick, around 1 out of the 3 (assuming near max or max) and about 8-9m (plus room exception).

strangely enough, we may be better served landing at #4, and taking winslow/johnson/wing instead of a big.

since the FA market has some solid bigs that can be had (UFA) as opposed to wings who are restricted (Butler, Leonard, etc), it could help us balance our team much better moving forward.

obviously i'd love to get the #1 pick and have the option to trade down, but getting a wing via the draft could actually be better for us
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

Nick the Quick wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nick the Quick wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
B_P wrote:
FWIW...

- LOVE Dragic.

- LOVE Batum, too.

strangely enough, we may be better served landing at #4, and taking winslow/johnson/wing instead of a big.

since the FA market has some solid bigs that can be had (UFA) as opposed to wings who are restricted (Butler, Leonard, etc), it could help us balance our team much better moving forward.

obviously i'd love to get the #1 pick and have the option to trade down, but getting a wing via the draft could actually be better for us

Or if the Lakers don't want to build through the draft for whatever reason, can trade the pick for a RFA, maybe not someone like Butler, but can even go for someone like Tobias Harris with say a #4-5 pick, maybe swap picks with Orlando and throw in Houston's 1st?

As you see there are many options available...
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yes, I think the Lottery/draft will dictate our strategy.

If we get a top 5 pick, we can either:

1. draft a big if in top 3,
2. draft a wing like Stanley Johnson/Justice/other,
3. trade down,
4. trade pick for other players.

But assuming we don't get it, we only have room for 1 max, and about 8-10m in cap space thereafter with a room exception. The notion of getting 2 out of Dragic/Monroe/Butler is literally impossible (unless we trade for Butler somehow, possibly a top 5 pick).

I wouldn't mind trading down if we don't land a top 3 pick. Seems to have worked out well for the Nuggets last season (G.Harris/Nurkic for McBuckets). Just a matter of finding someone desperate, lol.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:

Tobias Harris plays the 3, right? If he does, that's the same position they plan on playing Aaron Gordon, right? With Tobias up for extension, is there a chance they let Tobias go and develop Gordon? I think they keep both since Aaron is still on his rookie contract...

Last edited by lukewaltonsdad on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Tobias Harris plays the 3, right?

Yes. Not a star or #1 option. But good enough to be a possible #2 option. However, the only person I'd be willing to trade a top 3-5 pick is Butler (and not including top 2) so we could game free agency with his small cap hold.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
lakurluv wrote:

NEWSFLASH: The WASHINGTON GENERALS are more formidable than our current team
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Tobias Harris plays the 3, right?

Yes. Not a star or #1 option. But good enough to be a possible #2 option. However, the only person I'd be willing to trade a top 3-5 pick is Butler (and not including top 2) so we could game free agency with his small cap hold.

May be a good guy to overpay on a one year deal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: