Lakers Free Agent Interests: Dragic, Monroe, Butler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j-wolf
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

Dragic would have the same fate as Lin. Kobe is the defacto PG and he will always demand the ball in his hand.

Jimmy Butler worth the max, every penny of it.

Last edited by j-wolf on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Tobias Harris plays the 3, right?

Yes. Not a star or #1 option. But good enough to be a possible #2 option. However, the only person I'd be willing to trade a top 3-5 pick is Butler (and not including top 2) so we could game free agency with his small cap hold.

Interesting. I never watched much of his game; how about an S&T with Hill over the summer? Stand pat on Hill this year; if you keep the pick, draft a Center, and package Hill/Houston 1st/2nd Rounder for Harris?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Tobias Harris plays the 3, right?

Yes. Not a star or #1 option. But good enough to be a possible #2 option. However, the only person I'd be willing to trade a top 3-5 pick is Butler (and not including top 2) so we could game free agency with his small cap hold.

Interesting. I never watched much of his game; how about an S&T with Hill over the summer? Stand pat on Hill this year; if you keep the pick, draft a Center, and package Hill/Houston 1st/2nd Rounder for Harris?

They already have an overpriced jump shooting big in Channing Frye. They have Vucevic too so no need for Hill whatsoever.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

^Yeah, that's right. Oh, well. I'd probably still stand pat on Hill for the season and S&T with the Houston pick, (if we keep out top 5 pick), and see what that fetches on the open market.
Nick the Quick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Nick the Quick wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nick the Quick wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
B_P wrote:
FWIW...

- LOVE Dragic.

- I like Monroe, but we need a legit rim protector.

- In this "era of the PG," I'm really intrigued by a potential guard trio of Dragic/Clarkson/D'Angelo Russell. That could be fun to watch.

- LOVE Batum, too.

We've only got a limited budget of either around $21-22m (with top 5 pick) or $27-28m (w/out top 5 pick). Going to be a bit tight.

I thought the numbers were slightly lower so I like your numbers better!

With that amount, we could end up with monroe level player and a very solid bench player. That's not too bad given we will also have 2 lottery talents joining us next year as well.

Yeah, getting 2/3 of the Dragic/Monroe/Butler trio is nearly impossible given our budget (only possible if Kobe retires, which I don't think he will).

It would be 1 of the 3, and room for at best $3-5m (and a $3m room exception) if we draft a top 5 pick.

Without a top 5 pick, around 1 out of the 3 (assuming near max or max) and about 8-9m (plus room exception).

strangely enough, we may be better served landing at #4, and taking winslow/johnson/wing instead of a big.

since the FA market has some solid bigs that can be had (UFA) as opposed to wings who are restricted (Butler, Leonard, etc), it could help us balance our team much better moving forward.

obviously i'd love to get the #1 pick and have the option to trade down, but getting a wing via the draft could actually be better for us

Or if the Lakers don't want to build through the draft for whatever reason, can trade the pick for a RFA, maybe not someone like Butler, but can even go for someone like Tobias Harris with say a #4-5 pick, maybe swap picks with Orlando and throw in Houston's 1st?

As you see there are many options available...

can that be done? (legally through the cba agreement)?

i don't recall that ever happening so thoughtmaybe it was against the rules.

i'm out of the loop on it completely
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

Trade T.Harris and we keep his RFA rights for say a #5 pick, and we get something back from Orlando (not sure their 1st, but say a 2nd).

T.Harris would have a relatively small cap hold and if he and his agent had a pre-determined deal with the Lakers, say $12m/5 years, they could sit tight while the Lakers go shopping using their cap space, which would be around $25m (just a guess).

So you're able to game free agency by getting a $12m player in my example for a small 3-4m cap hold (not sure what the real amount is). The Spurs plan on doing this with Leonard. Of course the optimal RFA target is Butler, but hard to see him leaving Chicago or Chicago trading him for a #2-5 pick.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
I think we have good options for center and guard, but I'm worried there aren't many SMALL FORWARDS available.

I mean, Wes Johnson can't be our starting SF for the next years

DeMarre Carroll, anyone? He is a solid perimeter defender and his 3 has been improving in the last three years, currently at 38% with the Hawks. And he may likely be had in the $4-5M range, a nice affordable piece that can start next year and come off the bench for Durant in '16.

Knight
Bryant
Carroll
Randle
Towns
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

The Lakers need to stop worrying about going after big-named FAs. Go after players that will make the team strong. Look at ATL, outside of Harford and Teague who else is a known player on that team? Granted they play in the east, but they have a great group of players who play for each other!!!!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
danzag wrote:
I think we have good options for center and guard, but I'm worried there aren't many SMALL FORWARDS available.

DeMarre Carroll, anyone? He is a solid perimeter defender and his 3 has been improving in the last three years, currently at 38% with the Hawks. And he may likely be had in the $4-5M range, a nice affordable piece that can start next year and come off the bench for Durant in '16.

Knight
Bryant
Carroll
Randle
Towns

I'd be happy with that lineup. Can also re-sing Davis for 3yrs/$15M to start until Towns is ready. Then use the room on a backup PG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
danzag wrote:

Knight
Bryant
Carroll
Randle
Towns

I'd be happy with that lineup. Can also re-sing Davis for 3yrs/$15M to start until Towns is ready. Then use the room on a backup PG

Well, if you have to pay Knight $13-14m (to get him out of the Bucks), Carroll at $5m, you have about $2m to give Davis, and the $3m room exception. So Davis wouldn't be a real possibility here unless he took a big paycut.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
danzag wrote:

Knight
Bryant
Carroll
Randle
Towns

Well, if you have to pay Knight $13-14m (to get him out of the Bucks), Carroll at $5m, you have about $2m to give Davis, and the $3m room exception. So Davis wouldn't be a real possibility here unless he took a big paycut.

Knight (15)/Price (1.2)/Clarkson (.9)
Bryant (25)/Gee (1.2)
Carroll (5)/Young (5.2)
Randle (3.1)/Kelly (1.7)/Black (.5)
Davis (5)/Towns (4.5)/Sacre (1)

= $69.3M

It's doable, even at $15M for Knight.

Last edited by HAWAIIGUY27 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

I'd rather have Knight than Dragic.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

carroll at 5 mil ?

is this a joke ?

the guy will make twice that money.

Last edited by davidse on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
danzag wrote:

Knight
Bryant
Carroll
Randle
Towns

That's assuming we got #1 overall. I think they could clear $3M
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
carroll at 5 mil ?

is this a joke ?

Oh, and that problem too:lol:
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
carroll at 5 mil ?

is this a joke ?

Will he? Ok so we just trim the fat.

Knight (14)/Clarkson (.9)
Bryant (25)/Gee (1.2)/HOU pick (1.2)
Carroll (8.5)/Young (5.2)
Davis (4.5)/Towns (4.5)

= $70.3M

It's maybe doable.. but at that amount maybe he wouldn't be worth pursuing anyways if the big fish comes in '16.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
davidse wrote:
carroll at 5 mil ?

is this a joke ?

Will he? Ok so we just trim the fat.

Knight (14)/Clarkson (.9)
Bryant (25)/Gee (1.2)/HOU pick (1.2)
Carroll (8.5)/Young (5.2)
Davis (4.5)/Towns (4.5)

= $70.3M

It's maybe doable.. but at that amount maybe he wouldn't be worth pursuing anyways if the big fish comes in '16.

Just an FYI, projected cap next year is 66m.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
The Lakers need to stop worrying about going after big-named FAs. Go after players that will make the team strong. Look at ATL, outside of Harford and Teague who else is a known player on that team? Granted they play in the east, but they have a great group of players who play for each other!!!!

Agreed. I think the good news is that Mitch subscribes to this school of thought.

Jim, however, does not.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Slicer wrote:

At this point, i daresay we need to find a top flight coach above all. We need to find a way to get Carlisle, Budenholz, Karl, or Adelmen somehow and get an established system in place.

If only during the summer there was a young up and coming coach with Laker ties, who Kobe respects, had come up the Spurs system under both Pop and Bud, had been a successful college head coach, and was available after MDA resigned. Oh wait, there was, and we let him go to the Jazz.

I wasn't a fan of his stint at Mizzou, but college and the pros are different.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

LeBronte Jest wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Yes, I think the Lottery/draft will dictate our strategy.

If we get a top 5 pick, we can either:

1. draft a big if in top 3,
2. draft a wing like Stanley Johnson/Justice/other,
3. trade down,
4. trade pick for other players.

But assuming we don't get it, we only have room for 1 max, and about 8-10m in cap space thereafter with a room exception. The notion of getting 2 out of Dragic/Monroe/Butler is literally impossible (unless we trade for Butler somehow, possibly a top 5 pick).

I wouldn't mind trading down if we don't land a top 3 pick. Seems to have worked out well for the Nuggets last season (G.Harris/Nurkic for McBuckets). Just a matter of finding someone desperate, lol.

yep, it would have to be a situation where a team was in love with someone still on the board. Does anyone have two first round picks as of now other than us?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:
Dragic would have the same fate as Lin. Kobe is the defacto PG and he will always demand the ball in his hand.

Dragic would be here 4 years, Kobe maybe 1.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:

Difference is Dragic would get a lengthy deal, so he would be here for the post-Kobe era as well. If anything the 1st year would be a transitioning year if he decides to sign.
Nick the Quick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject:

let's say for some crazy reason, we get butler ona max deal.

is it even remotely possible to sign a guy like monroe to a 1 year deal w/ the remaining money, with the agreement that we will re-up w/ him in 2016 to above market value to make up for it?
SemperMalum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Nick the Quick wrote:
let's say for some crazy reason, we get butler ona max deal.

is it even remotely possible to sign a guy like monroe to a 1 year deal w/ the remaining money, with the agreement that we will re-up w/ him in 2016 to above market value to make up for it?

Is it possible? Even a 10% chance is possible. Probable? Not likely. Is the Lakers FO capable of going through with that? Absolutely, they've proven they take care of their players (Kobe/Henry/even Nash)

But that leaves us with very little salary to hit a lot of our biggest issues: PG. We don't have a consistent starting PG. And even though Monroe has decent defensive rating numbers, he's not a true defensive C. One on One, he can easily handle the paint against somebody. He's not going to shut down a Marc Gasol or a Dwight Howard but he'll do solid on them. But he's not going to be the defensive C that we really need to couple with Randle.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Let's look at the possibility that Kobe hangs it up after this season. Would he really want to suffer through another 60 game season? The Lakers would be at around $10 mil in guaranteed contracts. With $56 in space, stash $18-20 away in one year contracts and you still have $36-38 mil to shop with this offseason.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: