Lakers Free Agent Interests: Dragic, Monroe, Butler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
The Lakers need to stop worrying about going after big-named FAs. Go after players that will make the team strong. Look at ATL, outside of Harford and Teague who else is a known player on that team? Granted they play in the east, but they have a great group of players who play for each other!!!!

BS is not in the same league as Budenholzer.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:
Dragic would have the same fate as Lin. Kobe is the defacto PG and he will always demand the ball in his hand.

Jimmy Butler worth the max, every penny of it.

Dragic is not Lin. Dragic is one of the PG's that is very high on the Lakers radar. They'd pay him big bucks to pay, Lin filled a need at the time behind
Nash but guess what now behind Price.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

yep, it would have to be a situation where a team was in love with someone still on the board. Does anyone have two first round picks as of now other than us?

After doing just a quick glimpse, these look to be the other teams currently with multiple 2015 First Round picks.

Boston
Lottery (their own) and late (from Clippers)

Chicago
Lottery (from Sacramento -- Top 10 protected) and late (their own)

Denver
Lottery (their own) and somewhat late (from OKC - Top 18 protected)

Philadelphia
Lottery (their own) and Mid First Round (from Miami - Top 10 protected)

The pick from the Clippers to Boston appears to be a Sure Thing with no protections.

The Sacramento pick that Chicago has cycles back and forth between being inside the Top 10 and outside the Top 10. Sacramento is roughly even with Detroit for ninth in W/L, though the Pistons have played one more game than the Kings. Miami, Brooklyn, Charlotte and Denver are just outside the Top 10 and the Kings could nudge past a few of them.

If OKC can make the Playoffs, then they should be around 48 wins which could be just enough to be #19 in the Draft order behind the 14 Lottery teams and four Eastern Conference teams in the Playoffs with under 48 wins.

As long as Miami doesn't collapse, they should finish just outside the Top 10 and Philadelphia gets their pick.

Summary:

Boston should have two First Round picks.

Philadelphia appear to be in a good position to have two First Round picks.

The situations appear favorable for both Chicago and Denver to have two First Round picks, but they will need some help from Sacramento and OKC to bring those hopes to fruition.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
carroll at 5 mil ?

is this a joke ?

the guy will make twice that money.

I hope we don't go overpay players due to the system that they play in.
mastersworddude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
The Lakers need to stop worrying about going after big-named FAs. Go after players that will make the team strong. Look at ATL, outside of Harford and Teague who else is a known player on that team? Granted they play in the east, but they have a great group of players who play for each other!!!!
Big names sell tickets and merchandise. Why else do you think we are seemingly interested every time one may be available. I honestly believe business comes first in Jim and Jeanie's eyes, and they just think wins will follow.
I don't think the FO really cares about building a structured team.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:
Durant,AD,Westbrook and Butler.....Grab two of them to join Randle and our (hopefully) top 4 pick.

Realistic....most probably not.

By getting Dragic and or Monroe we blow the chance of getting Durant/Westbrook/AD......As the great Chick Hearn said...."the chances are slim and none, and slim just left the building..."

So I think the lakers FO "should" have at least some idea of where these guys minds are at before plunging for Dragic and or Monroe the tier 2 FA's........

Westbrook isn't a free agent until 2017; there is 0% chance Davis leaves a 5 year max.

Butler is a RFA; Durant, well, lots of things have to go right to get him.

Well of course, Westbrook in 17' and AD little chance (but better then 0%) and Butler a RFA, but what are your chances of winning it all with Dragic and Monroe?

I would rather wait on guys like Westbrook 17'/Durant 16' and AD 17' then spend our available cap to go the Dragic/Monroe route of lets see if we can squeeze into the playoff's plan...

Better off building with the draft the next two seasons and holding onto the cap cash, then just going the middle of the road route with Dragic/Monroe. You will be stuck with them until 21', (really think you are going to win it all with them? Dragic and Monroe are fools gold... they are "fringe all-stars" at best, we need the real deals as all teams do.

You never know, if the rookies of 15' and 16' along with Randle show real promise, then Westbrook and AD might say lets join them. At least there is a chance, plus at least you do get young stars whom can grow into real all stars, better then fringe all-stars like Dragic and Monroe... With Dragic and Monroe you also lose the shot at top draft picks as they will just get you past the better picks and a 1st round one and done, and even then can they lead you into the playoffs past the the Suns/Pelicans/ not to mention the other 8 top West teams.

Last edited by FreakofNature on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Why would Dragic want to come here and play for Scott?
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject:

I like Dragic I really do but I'd like him more if Kobe was 29. I think Lakers should think younger like Reggie Jackson, MKW, Brandon Jennings, maybe draft the pg of the future?
'M just saying we dont have our go to player of the future yet and Dragic is somebody you at to that. Not a cornerstone piece you start with. It will be cheaper and better in the longrun to go younger at pg imo.
Have no shot at Butler or K. Leonard, imo. Tobias Harris may be attainable if he does not go to NY.
Dont want Monroe, it is a waste of money for the Lakers.
My ideal lineup and realistic I might add is something like: R.Jackson/late 1st round, Bryant/Young/Clarkson, Harris/Kelly, Randle/Davis, J.Okafor/Black/Sacre...Trade Hill for a draft pick and backup pg or sf. Good start to rebuild.
Purp&Gold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

wish we could get off this reggie jackson bandwagon he sucks.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
j-wolf wrote:
Dragic would have the same fate as Lin. Kobe is the defacto PG and he will always demand the ball in his hand.

Dragic is not Lin. Dragic is one of the PG's that is very high on the Lakers radar. They'd pay him big bucks to pay, Lin filled a need at the time behind

Dragic plays off the ball with Bledsoe being there already. It doesnt really effect his game. Dragic has a natural understanding of the game and adjusts very well. He does want to strictly play PG though.

I'd rather get Dragic than Rondo. Dragic is mild mannered, no none sense, younger, can hit 80% of his free throws and adapt to any offense.

If the Lakers are lucky enough to get a young star center in the draft, I would call dragic first in free agency and see if they can get him over to LA. It would be a good start for the rebuild and getting the young center and Randle the ball from a good PG would be a nice start. Then in 2016, Durant would have to consider the Lakers to put the title contender together.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
deal wrote:
j-wolf wrote:

Dragic plays off the ball with Bledsoe being there already. It doesnt really effect his game. Dragic has a natural understanding of the game and adjusts very well. He does want to strictly play PG though.

I'd rather get Dragic than Rondo. Dragic is mild mannered, no none sense, younger, can hit 80% of his free throws and adapt to any offense.

If the Lakers are lucky enough to get a young star center in the draft, I would call dragic first in free agency and see if they can get him over to LA. It would be a good start for the rebuild and getting the young center and Randle the ball from a good PG would be a nice start. Then in 2016, Durant would have to consider the Lakers to put the title contender together.

What was interesting to watch was how he led his Slovenia team during FIBA. IIRC was one of the lead scorers in FIBA and the true leader on that team. That's what impressed me the most. A quite but mature/strong leader.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

Would anyone else prefer to have Monroe over Love based on the potential contract, or am I crazy for even thinking that?

I am just not as high on Love as I used to be.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject:

Potato-Mania wrote:
Would anyone else prefer to have Monroe over Love based on the potential contract, or am I crazy for even thinking that?

I am just not as high on Love as I used to be.

Not crazy. But unfortunately, Lakers M.O. is to go after the big names and stars. Love may qualify as such.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Why would Dragic want to come here and play for Scott?

He knows he'll never beat the head of snake for playing time
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

fan4life wrote:
24 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:
Last summer we were expected to go after Lowry, Stephenson, Bledsoe, and Parsons.

Instead we begged for Melo, inquired about Lebron, and settled for Lin.

These list are only speculation based on the assumption we have any common sense. And we have Jim Buss so...
Until we actually get a franchise-level player, either via draft or UFA, we're not going to (and shouldn't) blow our money on mid-level guys. Bledsoe was a RFA... so that wasn't going to happen anyhow. Stephenson has been a bust. Parsons was a RFA too and we were certainly not going to pay him what Dallas has for a 14-15 pt scorer at SF... we already have that with Young. It took an obscene offer from Dallas for Houston to let him walk as a RFA.

Lowry was the only one we wanted... but we decided to wait on Melo/Lebron. Once we signed Lin, i think we felt that we had our PG signing. Too bad Lin hasn't panned out.

Lin also came with a draft pick.

Going after mid-level guys or even B level stars is working out great for Atlanta, aka, Spurs east.

Franchise player, 2nd-tier players...I don't really care. I just want to root for a team that values the new NBA model for winning (crisp ball movement in the half court sets, shooters to space the floor, sound team defense).

It's a beautiful thing to watch and our squad, sadly thinks it doesn't produce championships.

That actually sounds like Scott's philosophy (in theory) minus the shooting ...which is funny because Scott was a great shooter you would think he would value spacing shooting more ...
SemperMalum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject:

FYI: Nick Friedell - Bull's Beat Reporter

Nick Friedell
@NickFridell wrote:
John Paxson tells @WaddleandSilvy that Bulls will match any offer sheet Jimmy Butler signs -- even if it's a max offer.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject:

That sound's about right re Butler. No way they let him go.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject:

SemperMalum wrote:
FYI: Nick Friedell - Bull's Beat Reporter

Nick Friedell
@NickFridell wrote:
John Paxson tells @WaddleandSilvy that Bulls will match any offer sheet Jimmy Butler signs -- even if it's a max offer.

Butler, then Durant, then Westbrook, then AD, the same tune will repeat itself these days....

I think we will finally land the big whale once we establish a young core 2 to 4 years from now, one of the whales will bite to join on then, but "probably" not before we have a real strong foundation .....

So the question is do we build through the draft, and wait for the top tier FA and not blow our cap space with them? Or...........Do we go for the 2nd tier FA's like Dragic/Monroe/Hunter to go along with the young draft picks?

I would rather build through the draft, and wait for the superstar rather than go with fringe all-star's. Plus fringe all-stars will get you to the playoffs for 1st or possibly 2nd round runs, but also ruin your chances of higher draft picks by helping you win in the regular season....
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
deal wrote:
j-wolf wrote:

What was interesting to watch was how he led his Slovenia team during FIBA. IIRC was one of the lead scorers in FIBA and the true leader on that team. That's what impressed me the most. A quite but mature/strong leader.

Yes. LA needs someone mild mannered right now. Mentally strong and doesn't turn into a snatch when he doesn't get his way. LA has had enough drama to last a lifetime. They need some guys who are cerebral and methodical. If they can just luck into one more good early draft pick it will be a heck of an accomplishment after these two horrendous seasons.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject:

I think what it's going to boil down to is that we just need to draft a superstar.

If Durant leaves OKC, it will be for Washington. Westbrook in'17 is the next big fish, but he'll be 28 or 29 by then. AD is restricted in '17 and I'd bet my life that NO would match a max offer on him. After that, who knows. Maybe Paul George, maybe John Wall down the line (but if KD's there he'll stay in Wash). But in any case, it just seems like we're waiting, waiting, waiting for a superstar to come in free agency that probably won't.

I think the way to go is to get the role players in free agency. That means picking up guys like Dragic or Wes Mathews that can start and be 3rd or 4th options on good teams, as well as guys like Koufus, Ed Davis, etc that can be good value contributors. People will come to play in LA before they go anywhere else as long as we can field a decent team.

But this also means we really need to nail our draft picks. I think we did REALLY well with Randle, so that's a start. But we also have to nail this year's draft too, especially considering we'll probably have two first rounders. I just hope Mitch and Jim are close attention to this year's crop. I have faith in them though.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Killakobe81 wrote:
fan4life wrote:
24 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:
Last summer we were expected to go after Lowry, Stephenson, Bledsoe, and Parsons.

Instead we begged for Melo, inquired about Lebron, and settled for Lin.

These list are only speculation based on the assumption we have any common sense. And we have Jim Buss so...
Until we actually get a franchise-level player, either via draft or UFA, we're not going to (and shouldn't) blow our money on mid-level guys. Bledsoe was a RFA... so that wasn't going to happen anyhow. Stephenson has been a bust. Parsons was a RFA too and we were certainly not going to pay him what Dallas has for a 14-15 pt scorer at SF... we already have that with Young. It took an obscene offer from Dallas for Houston to let him walk as a RFA.

Lowry was the only one we wanted... but we decided to wait on Melo/Lebron. Once we signed Lin, i think we felt that we had our PG signing. Too bad Lin hasn't panned out.

Lin also came with a draft pick.

Going after mid-level guys or even B level stars is working out great for Atlanta, aka, Spurs east.

Franchise player, 2nd-tier players...I don't really care. I just want to root for a team that values the new NBA model for winning (crisp ball movement in the half court sets, shooters to space the floor, sound team defense).

It's a beautiful thing to watch and our squad, sadly thinks it doesn't produce championships.

That actually sounds like Scott's philosophy (in theory) minus the shooting ...which is funny because Scott was a great shooter you would think he would value spacing shooting more ...

It's actually the opposite of Scott's philosophy. The Lakers are one of the worst teams in the league at moving the ball and moving without the ball.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject:

One small thing that hasn't been mentioned a ton in this thread..

A lot of players MAY opt for a one year deal and then go out to fetch a bigger payday once the salary cap rises in 2016-2017 by an estimated 15 to 20 million.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject:

A minor move might be to sign Andre Miller, he is still effective at his age. He wouldn't be the difference in being a winner, but I have always wanted him on the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
A minor move might be to sign Andre Miller, he is still effective at his age. He wouldn't be the difference in being a winner, but I have always wanted him on the Lakers.

1 year rental candidate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: