D'Angelo Russell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject:

D'angelo Russell is averaging 23/8/5 on 49% shooting over the last 5 games.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
To question whether this guy is a PG, is ridiculous, that's the exact position he's playing.

He's running the offense, yes, but he doesn't bring the ball up necessarily.

No different from Kobe running an offense.

Still, Kobe was/is very TO prone playing PG. Russell has a massive wingspan to make up for it, but he's more natural as a playmaking SG.

And that means he isn't a PG, or can't play the position?

He's not a PG.

Ginobili plays PG as a back up, not always comfortable.

Kobe did the same early in his career, TO prone. Still is.

Brandon Roy does a better job overall, but Russell's fundamental ball-handling isn't as refined. He doesn't protect the basketball as well.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
To question whether this guy is a PG, is ridiculous, that's the exact position he's playing.

Still, Kobe was/is very TO prone playing PG. Russell has a massive wingspan to make up for it, but he's more natural as a playmaking SG.

He's not a PG.

Brandon Roy does a better job overall, but Russell's fundamental ball-handling isn't as refined. He doesn't protect the basketball as well.

Interesting.

Would be an intriguing roster-construction issue too. So does the team get a guy who can defend PGs to throw out there with him? Will he run the team most of the time or in a half-court setting?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

He's not a PG.

Interesting.

Would be an intriguing roster-construction issue too. So does the team get a guy who can defend PGs to throw out there with him? Will he run the team most of the time or in a half-court setting?

The idea is to draft the BPA. I don't have as clear a picture of D'Angelo Russell as others do. His highlight games are tremendous, but there are a few things that stick out to me.

He's an above average athlete at SG, which is fine. He uses his passing and semi set-shot from the perimeter to keep defenders honest. His awareness and passing abilities are so great, that he's getting by on subtlely advanced ball-handling moves and footwork. It's also why he gets caught in no-man's land at the FT-line and in.

It's like watching what a high IQ version of Tony Wroten would be. Lefty, streaky shooting, great passing.

We just need to see that every night. People who see a prime Ginobili as a franchise player may think of Russell as a franchise player. That's very fair.

When I see Stanley Johnson, I know what I'm looking at. two-way role player with such a tremendous physique and motor, that he could be perceived as a franchise player similarly to Gerald Wallace. But, he's relying on his physical gifts so much, and ball-handling in half-court and isolation situations make the difference between a true franchise player as opposed to a very good player. Gerald Wallace? Or Jimmy Butler?

When I see Caris Levert, I see everything I want in a guard; ball-handling, proven, self-made work ethic, perimeter shooting, unselfish, IQ, length (7'1 wingspan?), some team defensive ability, elite lateral quickness, and offensive production in Isolation, PnR, dynamic half-court sets. Before, he was being overlooked because he's skinny. Now, it'll be injuries.

In any of these cases, if Russell is drafted, the Lakers essentially could just switch on defense to protect the health of the backcourt.

I think A LOT higher of Clarkson now. He has come a long way in the past year and his summer workouts have helped out tremendously. If Russell is drafted, then, both he and Clarkson have to maximize their length, back off a bit, and switch on defense.

If it's Levert, hypothetically, you don't have to switch him, just playing him at PG defensively. He's that quick. At the same time, that's the same quickness/lateral movement that helped cause his foot injury.

If it's Jerian Grant (Because the Lakers decided to land an elite big), it's solely on Clarkson for PGs. Grant can't handle it. He's more of a position/physical defender. Won't force turnovers, but will rebound and contest shots.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

He's not a PG.

Interesting.

The idea is to draft the BPA. I don't have as clear a picture of D'Angelo Russell as others do. His highlight games are tremendous, but there are a few things that stick out to me.

He's an above average athlete at SG, which is fine. He uses his passing and semi set-shot from the perimeter to keep defenders honest. His awareness and passing abilities are so great, that he's getting by on subtlely advanced ball-handling moves and footwork. It's also why he gets caught in no-man's land at the FT-line and in.

It's like watching what a high IQ version of Tony Wroten would be. Lefty, streaky shooting, great passing.

We just need to see that every night. People who see a prime Ginobili as a franchise player may think of Russell as a franchise player. That's very fair.

When I see Stanley Johnson, I know what I'm looking at. two-way role player with such a tremendous physique and motor, that he could be perceived as a franchise player similarly to Gerald Wallace. But, he's relying on his physical gifts so much, and ball-handling in half-court and isolation situations make the difference between a true franchise player as opposed to a very good player. Gerald Wallace? Or Jimmy Butler?

When I see Caris Levert, I see everything I want in a guard; ball-handling, proven, self-made work ethic, perimeter shooting, unselfish, IQ, length (7'1 wingspan?), some team defensive ability, elite lateral quickness, and offensive production in Isolation, PnR, dynamic half-court sets. Before, he was being overlooked because he's skinny. Now, it'll be injuries.

In any of these cases, if Russell is drafted, the Lakers essentially could just switch on defense to protect the health of the backcourt.

I think A LOT higher of Clarkson now. He has come a long way in the past year and his summer workouts have helped out tremendously. If Russell is drafted, then, both he and Clarkson have to maximize their length, back off a bit, and switch on defense.

If it's Levert, hypothetically, you don't have to switch him, just playing him at PG defensively. He's that quick. At the same time, that's the same quickness/lateral movement that helped cause his foot injury.

If it's Jerian Grant (Because the Lakers decided to land an elite big), it's solely on Clarkson for PGs. Grant can't handle it. He's more of a position/physical defender. Won't force turnovers, but will rebound and contest shots.

Reading this makes me firmly believe what GT commented in the tank thread. Knight and Russell would be good back court mates (although it will be hard to get Knight). Knight can guard the PGs on defense
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Emphasis on positions is antiquated. If someone can tell me the de facto differences between James Harden and Steph Curry, I'm all ears. D'Angelo Russell can run your offense, period. I don't care what you want to call him.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Emphasis on positions is antiquated. If someone can tell me the de facto differences between James Harden and Steph Curry, I'm all ears. D'Angelo Russell can run your offense, period. I don't care what you want to call him.

Quoted right quick for all that troof up in there
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Agreed.

All I see now are guards, wings, and bigs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Agreed. But I'm more concerned defensively. Curry has klay, barnes and iggy to help one defense. Houston has surrounded harden with Ariza and Beverly. Would be important to get the right guys around Russell.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Agreed. But I'm more concerned defensively. Curry has klay, barnes and iggy to help one defense. Houston has surrounded harden with Ariza and Beverly. Would be important to get the right guys around Russell.

This is usually the case though. He's a solid defender, but I think he's more suited to be off of the ball than on it.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

Draft express has moved Russell up to second overall. I'm excited to see how he does against Maryland tonight. Should be a good one. We're going to see how he does with all the pressure in the world on his shoulders. Everyone's watching now
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
He's not a PG. So with a top 3 pick you would take a undersized SG?

So you haven't watched him play at all. But anyhow, how the heck is 6'5 with a 6'9 wingspan undersized?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

D'angelo Russell looking like a point guard

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
D'angelo Russell looking like a point guard

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

I have changed my mind completely on Russell. loving this kid. For development I would like to see him tighten up his handle, put on some muscle, and look to turn the corner and get into the paint on the pnr a bit more, but this dude is great.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

So you haven't watched him play at all. But anyhow, how the heck is 6'5 with a 6'9 wingspan undersized?

Because it's 6'3.5" w/o shoes and a 6'8.5" wingspan, essentially, Russell Westbrook height and length.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:

An hour and twenty minutes away from tip. Two top freshman guards that need to prove they can play on at the next level. Its going to be a good one!! Hopefully Russell can keep up this hot streak!
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

Because it's 6'3.5" w/o shoes and a 6'8.5" wingspan, essentially, Russell Westbrook height and length.

It's better than Bradley Beal's measurements.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

It's better than Bradley Beal's measurements.

Agreed.

Personally, the Lakers can get away with it because of Jordan Clarkson's measurements, which is nearly the same anyway.

Switchable backcourt on defense.

But, I still want Okafor.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I love the kid, but would draft Towns and Okafor before him. Towns or Okafor and Tyus Jones would be a great first round. I think that Jones is one of the top 3-4 PGs in this draft.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject:

If you haven't jumped on the Russell bandwagon yet, you must not be watching his games live!!! This kid is exciting!
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject:

My concern though is that on a few possessions, he just threw up contested 3's when he couldn't get past his man. I don't care if they go in or not, they're bad shots.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
My concern though is that on a few possessions, he just threw up contested 3's when he couldn't get past his man. I don't care if they go in or not, they're bad shots.

would you say the same to curry or klay? if you knock it down it's a good shot. that audacious arrogance is necessary to be a superstar.

for average players yes, they're terrible shots. for stars? meh.

he'll grow as a player and cut that stuff out, i like the arrogance.

Last edited by 44TheLogo on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I thought that at first also but when I rewind the tape he's looking for the 3 the whole way. All he's looking for is an inch of space so he can pull up. I think he can get onto the lane he just chooses not to for wherever reason. On the games that his 3 ball isn't falling he's getting to the rim constantly
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject:

I don't think he can get all the way to the rim though because he pulls up for a lot of floaters
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: