Rating prime james worthy and how would he do in the nba today without magic?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Rating prime james worthy and how would he do in the nba today without magic?

I like JW but I just wonder if he would be an average player in todays game. He was not athletically gifted like some of these guys today. Great finisher of course which Magic took full advantage of. Good individual scorer...

But I am doubtful a prime James Worthy would even make the all star team in this era. I definitely do not see him as franchise worthy in todays game...heck he was never a franchise player.

I respect worthy's game. He is an above average talent, but I cannot help but think he was a byproduct of Magic...that without Magic he may not even be a HOF player.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject:

oh jeggs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Looking forward to the trade deadline.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

you dont like the topic you can move on. im guessing you guys never even saw worthy play.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
oh jeggs
madddogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Hard to compare players from different eras. Also hard to compare worthy by himself without magic, its like comparing karl malone without stockton.

But I would still want a prime worthy on our roster now, worthy was better than drexler at the least.
Vencal
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Okay, Jeggs you got me to write something. I am one of the "old timers" around here, been watching since the 70's and saw most of Worthy's games. Seems like my duty to share my old timey memories with the younger-ones.

The question about Worthy fitting in today's game is actually a really good one and I have thought about it before. Let me give the usual preface and disclaimer now.....I really like Worthy, show-time Lakers and all Lakers everywhere and in every time, etc. I tend to be Magic biased as well. I think Jeggs has stated a legitimate point here.

Worthy was a great closer, amazing quick step to the basket, hi BB IQ and a pretty good passer out of double coverage. For his size, he was quicker than those guarding him. But none of those skills was HOF worthy, in my opinion, without Magic there to exploit those skills. On another team, I see Worthy All Star material a few seasons, but the overall Laker team talent and Magic got him to the next level.

Personally, of all the 80's Laker greats, I see Worthy has having the hardest time being great if you time-travelled him to present NBA. As I recall he was a little under 6'9". He was not the best rebounder and he was not overly strong. Today I see guys his size and bigger, stronger, and just as quick as he was (think Blake Griffin). I think he would have a harder time getting his shots off uncontested. I see him being pushed around on the defensive end. But now if you put Magic on the team with him today.....I think he would be almost as great. That is just how good Magic was at exploiting his team-mates' talents and Magic and Worthy were a perfect complement to pair together.

And the more I think about it, todays 50 year old versions of Magic and Worthy would be a hell of a lot more fun to watch then current team.
Do it Mitch!!!
iam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject:

I have Worthy on my 2k15 "MY TEAM" and he can definitely hang with today's youth. Best finisher on the team, great low post offense but average defender.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject:

He would be one of the best players in the league and a HOFer.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it is so much a question of playing with Magic as it is playing on a title team. Would Worthy have gone to the Hall of Fame if he played for the Nets, even with all the same stats? Probably not, though his college achievements might have gotten him into the discussion. He wouldn't have been Big Game James as a Net. He only made all-NBA twice, and it was third team. Without the fame and titles that came with being a Showtime Laker, Worthy's resume doesn't exactly scream "Hall of Fame."

Now, would he have been an average player without Magic? No way. He was going to be a star. Today, he'd be a pretty good SF, probably similar to Paul Pierce.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Worthy is a small forward. Griffin definitely isn't a small forward.

He also has back to the basket skills that a ton of these players these days do not. Great, great, drop step. And no, he's nowhere as slow as Paul Pierce.

He had quickness, a nice touch, and footwork that most people don't have these days.

It's like this: Howard is really fast, and even more athletic than Shaq was. He has more hops and more speed than Shaq had, but he lacks the skills that Shaq had (plus the mass when he got older). Howard has no drop step. He doesn't have a touch anywhere, and his form is even worse than Shaq's.

He doesn't have the defensive fundamentals as well as the offensive toolkit that Shaq had (even heavy version of him). This is what Worthy is like as well as the speed.

He'd still be great, but maybe not superstar level that he was back when.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating prime james worthy and how would he do in the nba today without magic?

Jeggs wrote:
I like JW but I just wonder if he would be an average player in todays game. He was not athletically gifted like some of these guys today. Great finisher of course which Magic took full advantage of. Good individual scorer...

But I am doubtful a prime James Worthy would even make the all star team in this era. I definitely do not see him as franchise worthy in todays game...heck he was never a franchise player.

I respect worthy's game. He is an above average talent, but I cannot help but think he was a byproduct of Magic...that without Magic he may not even be a HOF player.

It can be difficult comparing people from different eras. You often get the two ends of the spectrum --such-and-such would dominate today or such-and-such couldn't even make the league today.

To say "Worthy was never a franchise player" is a little unfair because any rookie who started his career with Kareem and Magic has little chance of becoming a franchise player.

And unfortunately injuries kept us from seeing what a healthy Worthy without Magic do. And because Worthy was joined at the hip with Magic its hard to envision his career in an alternative universe.

I will say this: Worthy is one of the few stars in NBA history who performed better in the playoffs than he did in the regular season, and that;s saying a lot. So, yeah, I think he'd be an all-star today.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I don't think it is so much a question of playing with Magic as it is playing on a title team. Would Worthy have gone to the Hall of Fame if he played for the Nets, even with all the same stats? Probably not, .

I agree with that. But the question is, if he was truly the main guy would he have better stats and better individual achievements. If you put Worthy on the Nets, does he have a personal performance along the lines (if not in the style of) Alex English? That's the tough question. Being the third banana on a title team helps and hurts Worthy in different ways. He gets the reflected glory, but perhaps he sacrifices some personal achievement too.
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

you can turn it around. how great could worthy be if he didn't have Magic around and that he was the alpha on the team.

you think that Worthy played at his full potential with the Lakers. maybe he had to take a step back in order to make the team work.
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating prime james worthy and how would he do in the nba today without magic?

activeverb wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

It can be difficult comparing people from different eras. You often get the two ends of the spectrum --such-and-such would dominate today or such-and-such couldn't even make the league today.

To say "Worthy was never a franchise player" is a little unfair because any rookie who started his career with Kareem and Magic has little chance of becoming a franchise player.

And unfortunately injuries kept us from seeing what a healthy Worthy without Magic do. And because Worthy was joined at the hip with Magic its hard to envision his career in an alternative universe.

I will say this: Worthy is one of the few stars in NBA history who performed better in the playoffs than he did in the regular season, and that;s saying a lot. So, yeah, I think he'd be an all-star today.

that's saying that he can step it up which means during the regular season he wasn't playing to full potential. team chemistry and play is important.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

This era is garbage. U call this basketball? Worthy would tear this era up !
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
This era is garbage. U call this basketball? Worthy would tear this era up !

Yeah, I agree. This era of basketball is about as soft as a baby's ass!!! All these dudes do is cry for fouls, whine, flop and run to teams that seem to be the easiest to win on. It's tough to even watch the NBA now if you remember what it was like in the 80's!!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I don't think it is so much a question of playing with Magic as it is playing on a title team. Would Worthy have gone to the Hall of Fame if he played for the Nets, even with all the same stats? Probably not, .

I agree with that. But the question is, if he was truly the main guy would he have better stats and better individual achievements. If you put Worthy on the Nets, does he have a personal performance along the lines (if not in the style of) Alex English? That's the tough question. Being the third banana on a title team helps and hurts Worthy in different ways. He gets the reflected glory, but perhaps he sacrifices some personal achievement too.

Yes, that's true. I can imagine him having an Alex English-like career on a lesser team. I can also imagine him being more along the lines of Glen Rice. We'll never know, of course.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject:

I think Worthy would be pretty incredible in this current NBA, depending on a couple of things I don't care to get into.

But an interesting thought to consider...Worthy was on the same team as Jordan, and Worthy was considered the primary option. he was also the older athlete, but still an interesting thought to swirl around.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating prime james worthy and how would he do in the nba today without magic?

Jeggs wrote:

Worthy was a fantastic player, his key was his speed and he was brilliant with his back to the basket in the low post.

Not to mention he came up huge in the big money pressure games for all the marbles.

I think he would dominate in today's league.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Worthy was under-appreciated because of who his teammates were...
He was Finals MVP against the Bad Boys Pistons, so I think he would do fine in today's NBA.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject:

I think his high post game would still be unstoppable. His athletic advantages would be smaller, but his array of spin moves, finger rolls, pump fakes and fadeaway jumpers would still be tough to defend.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
I think Worthy would be pretty incredible in this current NBA, depending on a couple of things I don't care to get into.

But an interesting thought to consider...Worthy was on the same team as Jordan, and Worthy was considered the primary option. he was also the older athlete, but still an interesting thought to swirl around.

Worthy was more skilled than MJ at UNC.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
44-25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Unstoppable spin move. Nice outside shot.

Different team - He is lead scorer.

He was number 2 iso on team behind Kareem.

HOF in this era also.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject:

James Worthy would have thrived in today's whistle-happy NBA. To say he would only be considered an average athlete today is way off mark. Prime Worthy was an athlete and extremely skilled, and he'd likely be a primary scoring option on many of today's teams, just as he would have been on any team in the 80's other than the Lakers or Celtics.

All-Star if he's on a contending team in today's era with today's rules. Contention for scoring titles All-Star with average defense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: