2000 Lakers-Blazers Game 7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobe24MSU
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: 2000 Lakers-Blazers Game 7

Just re-watched that game on YouTube. I was 11 years old when that game happened. I was already a diehard Lakers fan, but that game is what made me so obsessed with them.

I can't get over how ELECTRIC the crowd was. I had goosebumps watching the crowd chant defense in the 4th quarter. I hope our crowd can get like that again one day. Man those were some good times. I wish I wasn't so young those years.

Kobe to Shaq!! Then the NBA on NBC theme song starts playing. NBA was so much better back then.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Lakers-Blazers Game 7

Kobe24MSU wrote:
Just re-watched that game on YouTube. I was 11 years old when that game happened. I was already a diehard Lakers fan, but that game is what made me so obsessed with them.

I can't get over how ELECTRIC the crowd was. I had goosebumps watching the crowd chant defense in the 4th quarter. I hope our crowd can get like that again one day. Man those were some good times. I wish I wasn't so young those years.

Kobe to Shaq!! Then the NBA on NBC theme song starts playing. NBA was so much better back then.

It was pretty crazy being there. When Brian Shaw made that key 3 pointer you could feel the energy instantly shift in the building. It was awesome.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Lakers-Blazers Game 7

DaMuleRules wrote:
Kobe24MSU wrote:

It was pretty crazy being there. When Brian Shaw made that key 3 pointer you could feel the energy instantly shift in the building. It was awesome.

I was 14 but still remember it as if it were yesterday. Our old apartment..sitting in the la-z boy on the edge of my seat..palms sweating, just a nervous wreck..

Brian Shaw..what a catalyst him and Horry and Fox were. Fisher too of course. Ron Harper..can't forget him either.

man im getting super nostalgic. Everything was so right. Shaq was in his prime and in shape. Kobe only 21. Phil was going to bring us back to the glory days. the future seemed so bright.

even when we get back to winning chips, it just wont be the same it feels like. But i guess thats why you should cherish those moments..
Birmingham
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

NPZ's recap is the one to watch:

Epic crowd. The Laker crowd does tend to come correct when it needs to.

When Shaw's corner three went in to cut it to 10, you knew what the deal was. The fans weren't going to let them lose from that point on. There was too much energy in the building for the Blazers to contend with and they barely even ran a coherent offense after that.

Fans don't make a difference all that often in the NBA, but they did on that day IMO.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject:

It had been 12 years since a title and when Shaq arrived there was a lot of excitement again. 2000 was pretty special because I remember thinking during that season that it finally could be the year. It felt different than the previous seasons with Shaq, and I had more confidence in Kobe than ever, and way more confidence in Phil than I had in Rambis and Harris.

1999 was mostly just frustration. 1998 was pretty exciting, but Utah, Chicago and even Seattle (until the playoffs when the Lakers destroyed them) always made me have serious doubts. Watch the Lakers-Bulls game in 98 on YouTube (especially the second half when the Lakers blow the Bulls out) and that was a really electric crowd for just a regular season game. After that game I'm sure a lot of people thought the Lakers would beat the Bulls in the Finals. I think people mostly stopped believing that after the conference finals against Utah.

For electric crowds though, I'm not sure anything beats the Magic Johnson comeback game in 96.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject:

That game and Game 7 of the 2010 Finals were the best/worst games I've ever seen. I was nauseous for the majority of both of them.

To really get that game, you had to understand the context. Remember, Shaq came to a pretty talented Lakers team in 96-97, and they were considered a the most talented team in the league from the get go. Then...

1997 = Playoff Flameout
1998 = Playoff Flameout
1999 = Playoff Flameout

We didn't just lose those years, we lost spectacularly.

Then 2000 comes around, Phil joins the team, Shaq takes his game to another level, and Kobe's entering superstardom. Seems like our year. We were up 3-1 vs. Portland in the Finals, and it seemed like our year.

Then we lose Games 5 & 6, and are completely (bleep) the bed in Game 7. Shaq, coming off of one of the most dominant seasons ever, is strangely passive, and Kobe's the only player that's doing anything. It was a so freaking frustrating. Then Shaw banked in that 3, the first couple of minutes of the 4th were even, and then the avalanche happened.

But I remember being sick to my stomach for most of that game.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
That game and Game 7 of the 2010 Finals were the best/worst games I've ever seen. I was nauseous for the majority of both of them.

To really get that game, you had to understand the context. Remember, Shaq came to a pretty talented Lakers team in 96-97, and they were considered a the most talented team in the league from the get go. Then...

1997 = Playoff Flameout
1998 = Playoff Flameout
1999 = Playoff Flameout

Then 2000 comes around, Phil joins the team, Shaq takes his game to another level, and Kobe's entering superstardom. Seems like our year. We were up 3-1 vs. Portland in the Finals, and it seemed like our year.

Then we lose Games 5 & 6, and are completely (bleep) the bed in Game 7. Shaq, coming off of one of the most dominant seasons ever, is strangely passive, and Kobe's the only player that's doing anything. It was a so freaking frustrating. Then Shaw banked in that 3, the first couple of minutes of the 4th were even, and then the avalanche happened.

You're a better man than I for enduring both GT.

I was 12 during the 2000 game 7. Went to the park when we were down 15. I just couldn't handle it

In 2010 I was sick to my stomach as the game started. Turned off my phone and the TV shortly after it started. Couldn't take not knowing so I turned it back on to see us down big in that one. Like 13? Turned it back off. Prayed. Turned it back on to see Sasha headed to the line. Celebrated like crazy when we won.

I still have yet to watch that full 2010 game even though I have the DVD. It's too nerve wrecking
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject:

There's a great show on NBAtv, I forgot the name, where Steve Smith talks about not getting that call there at the end (he's right, btw). And it's clear it is painful for him to remember that. Shaq is there on tv too, lol!!
That game was out of this world.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Arg, I was early twenties when that happened. I remember when the Lakers were down I was like dam...even Phil Jackson couldn't get this Kobe-Shaq combo over the hump. Little did I know PJ was the master at teaching teams to come back from impossible fates as we seen time and time again.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
There's a great show on NBAtv, I forgot the name, where Steve Smith talks about not getting that call there at the end (he's right, btw). And it's clear it is painful for him to remember that. Shaq is there on tv too, lol!!
That game was out of this world.

It was on nba open court. Shaq was pretty much trolling Steve Smith and Webber at the same time. You could tell both Smith and Webber are still bitter. I can link you to it on YouTube if you'd like
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject:

That enfatic block by Kobe, followed by Shaw's corner three changed the game. Awesome.

I remember a pissed off Scottie Pippen throwing a pile of towels on the floor, but I can't remember if that was on game 7.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Lakers-Blazers Game 7

Kobe24MSU wrote:

Jesus Snapper Jones is such a hater.

!...
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

leaving LAX in a taxi with the GF returning from Brazil, I asked the Cabbie how the Lakers were doing (in 2000 the internet was not what it is now) cause I had no idea. The Cabbie goes: "Oh, they've won like 17 games in a row now"....
I knew then and there that was the year. I can see Downtown from my balcony in Hollywood, watched game 7 and after the buzzer- ran out and looked downtown as if I would be able to see a mushroom cloud or a rainbow or something, could feel the energy from 5 miles off in the distance,,,, Every house and apartment around you could hear screams and cheers.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Fun game. During the first 3 quarters I was like "damn I guess Shaq/Kobe just isn't meant to be." Then I became a huge fan of Brian Shaw.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Birmingham wrote:
NPZ's recap is the one to watch:

Epic crowd. The Laker crowd does tend to come correct when it needs to.

When Shaw's corner three went in to cut it to 10, you knew what the deal was. The fans weren't going to let them lose from that point on. There was too much energy in the building for the Blazers to contend with and they barely even ran a coherent offense after that.

Fans don't make a difference all that often in the NBA, but they did on that day IMO.

God, I miss Afro Kobe.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

1997 = Playoff Flameout
1998 = Playoff Flameout
1999 = Playoff Flameout

I literally thought I was going to have a heart attack in game 7 2010. I have no doubt that many did. Look up Takotsubos syndrome.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I was only 14, I was dating a girl who was from Oregon at the time. We didn't talk much after this game.

!...
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
I was only 14, I was dating a girl who was from Oregon at the time. We didn't talk much after this game.

DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Kobe24MSU for starting this much needed thread. The Lakers will rise again.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

That was a very nerve wracking postseason. Given how the Lakers had flamed out the previous postseasons, I wasn't sure if emotional baggage would take its toll. In the first round, we won the first two games against Sac in a best of five, then managed to lose the next two. Ditto with the WCFs, when we took a three game to one advantage against Portland and then promptly lost two, setting up the Game 7.

Indy was more of an afterthought than an anticlimax.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I was 14 at the time and thought the game was over. The Kobe to Shaq alley oop had me jumping up and down in my living room. That's still probably my all-time favorite sports moment. Kobe...to Shaq! God, do I miss Fro-Be, the NBA on NBC and Bob Costas.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:

GL... i hated Utah just a little less than i hated those 80s Celtics teams. They kept spanking us before 2000 and listening to the smugness of Malone annoyed me to no end.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Best post secondary years ever.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

The ball movement in the 4th quarter was amaze balls. Plus the defense locked down. Kobe's block on Bonzi Wells!!!! Get that (bleep) outta here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: