2000 Lakers-Blazers Game 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
That game and Game 7 of the 2010 Finals were the best/worst games I've ever seen. I was nauseous for the majority of both of them.

To really get that game, you had to understand the context. Remember, Shaq came to a pretty talented Lakers team in 96-97, and they were considered a the most talented team in the league from the get go. Then...

1997 = Playoff Flameout
1998 = Playoff Flameout
1999 = Playoff Flameout

We didn't just lose those years, we lost spectacularly.

Then 2000 comes around, Phil joins the team, Shaq takes his game to another level, and Kobe's entering superstardom. Seems like our year. We were up 3-1 vs. Portland in the Finals, and it seemed like our year.

Then we lose Games 5 & 6, and are completely (bleep) the bed in Game 7. Shaq, coming off of one of the most dominant seasons ever, is strangely passive, and Kobe's the only player that's doing anything. It was a so freaking frustrating. Then Shaw banked in that 3, the first couple of minutes of the 4th were even, and then the avalanche happened.

But I remember being sick to my stomach for most of that game.

You're a better man than I for enduring both GT.

I was 12 during the 2000 game 7. Went to the park when we were down 15. I just couldn't handle it

In 2010 I was sick to my stomach as the game started. Turned off my phone and the TV shortly after it started. Couldn't take not knowing so I turned it back on to see us down big in that one. Like 13? Turned it back off. Prayed. Turned it back on to see Sasha headed to the line. Celebrated like crazy when we won.

I still have yet to watch that full 2010 game even though I have the DVD. It's too nerve wrecking

I was in a jam-packed bar at the newly built J.W. Marriott by Staples Center for Game 7. That day was exceptional. Not only did you have Game 7 of the NBA Finals, you also had E3 (the huge video game convention) going on at the LA Convention Center, and the LA Film Festival going on at the theaters across the way. They shut off access to LA Live around noon that day. (I got there REALLY early) I heard something on the news that they estimated that about 250,000 people were packed into a 1.5 square mile radius that day.

Anyway, we're in this bar, and people have been drinking since noon, because if you left LA Live you couldn't get back in, and if you left the bar, you lost your spot. So people are WASTED by tip off. There are two Celtic fans there in their KG & Pierce jerseys. The 3rd Quarter starts, Boston goes on a run, and those guys are obviously happy. They weren't being jerks or anything, they were just celebrating their team doing well.

The most interesting characters at the bar...who had a good eleventeen beers in them...were not amused, and started threatening those two guys, before things cooled off. I shuffled my way through some people, and started talking to them during the next commercial break.

Me: "You guys from LA?"

Them: "No, we're originally from Connecticut."

Me: "I see. Well, fellas...it's like this. I usually wouldn't help out a couple of Celtic fans, but this is going down one of two ways. Either the Celtics are going to win, and the drunk, angry Laker fans here are going to vent by kicking your asses, or the Lakers are going to make a huge comeback, and the drunk, happy Laker fans here are going to celebrate by kicking your asses. I just saying this out of common decency, but you should leave."

The look on their faces was priceless. They left shortly thereafter. I spent the last 18 minutes of that game getting beer spilled on me every time the Lakers cut into the lead. It was awesome.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
That game and Game 7 of the 2010 Finals were the best/worst games I've ever seen. I was nauseous for the majority of both of them.

To really get that game, you had to understand the context. Remember, Shaq came to a pretty talented Lakers team in 96-97, and they were considered a the most talented team in the league from the get go. Then...

1997 = Playoff Flameout
1998 = Playoff Flameout
1999 = Playoff Flameout

Then 2000 comes around, Phil joins the team, Shaq takes his game to another level, and Kobe's entering superstardom. Seems like our year. We were up 3-1 vs. Portland in the Finals, and it seemed like our year.

Then we lose Games 5 & 6, and are completely (bleep) the bed in Game 7. Shaq, coming off of one of the most dominant seasons ever, is strangely passive, and Kobe's the only player that's doing anything. It was a so freaking frustrating. Then Shaw banked in that 3, the first couple of minutes of the 4th were even, and then the avalanche happened.

I was 12 during the 2000 game 7. Went to the park when we were down 15. I just couldn't handle it

In 2010 I was sick to my stomach as the game started. Turned off my phone and the TV shortly after it started. Couldn't take not knowing so I turned it back on to see us down big in that one. Like 13? Turned it back off. Prayed. Turned it back on to see Sasha headed to the line. Celebrated like crazy when we won.

I still have yet to watch that full 2010 game even though I have the DVD. It's too nerve wrecking

I was in a jam-packed bar at the newly built J.W. Marriott by Staples Center for Game 7. That day was exceptional. Not only did you have Game 7 of the NBA Finals, you also had E3 (the huge video game convention) going on at the LA Convention Center, and the LA Film Festival going on at the theaters across the way. They shut off access to LA Live around noon that day. (I got there REALLY early) I heard something on the news that they estimated that about 250,000 people were packed into a 1.5 square mile radius that day.

Anyway, we're in this bar, and people have been drinking since noon, because if you left LA Live you couldn't get back in, and if you left the bar, you lost your spot. So people are WASTED by tip off. There are two Celtic fans there in their KG & Pierce jerseys. The 3rd Quarter starts, Boston goes on a run, and those guys are obviously happy. They weren't being jerks or anything, they were just celebrating their team doing well.

The most interesting characters at the bar...who had a good eleventeen beers in them...were not amused, and started threatening those two guys, before things cooled off. I shuffled my way through some people, and started talking to them during the next commercial break.

Me: "I see. Well, fellas...it's like this. I usually wouldn't help out a couple of Celtic fans, but this is going down one of two ways. Either the Celtics are going to win, and the drunk, angry Laker fans here are going to vent by kicking your asses, or the Lakers are going to make a huge comeback, and the drunk, happy Laker fans here are going to celebrate by kicking your asses. I just saying this out of common decency, but you should leave."

The look on their faces was priceless. They left shortly thereafter. I spent the last 18 minutes of that game getting beer spilled on me every time the Lakers cut into the lead. It was awesome.

"Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others"

They were pretty smart to listen you. Wasn't there some poor sap's taxi that got overturned in the victory?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

1997 = Playoff Flameout
1998 = Playoff Flameout
1999 = Playoff Flameout

Awesome story!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
There's a great show on NBAtv, I forgot the name, where Steve Smith talks about not getting that call there at the end (he's right, btw). And it's clear it is painful for him to remember that. Shaq is there on tv too, lol!!
That game was out of this world.

It was on nba open court. Shaq was pretty much trolling Steve Smith and Webber at the same time. You could tell both Smith and Webber are still bitter. I can link you to it on YouTube if you'd like

Was that the ep where Shaq kept 5'n Rick Fox next to him? Haha. Shaq is never afraid to rub it in.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

1997 = Playoff Flameout
1998 = Playoff Flameout
1999 = Playoff Flameout

They were pretty smart to listen you. Wasn't there some poor sap's taxi that got overturned in the victory?

He moderated in real life, that's what happened. That's the story that nabbed him the mod job here (and all the money and chics that comes with it).
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
22 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
There's a great show on NBAtv, I forgot the name, where Steve Smith talks about not getting that call there at the end (he's right, btw). And it's clear it is painful for him to remember that. Shaq is there on tv too, lol!!

It was on nba open court. Shaq was pretty much trolling Steve Smith and Webber at the same time. You could tell both Smith and Webber are still bitter. I can link you to it on YouTube if you'd like

Was that the ep where Shaq kept 5'n Rick Fox next to him? Haha. Shaq is never afraid to rub it in.

I just found a clip of it:

Fox isn't there. Shaq is brutal. And awkward. He actually admitted fouling Smith, and then immediately tried to back out of it! lol!! Like a good politician.
Lakers 4 eva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
22 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Fox isn't there. Shaq is brutal. And awkward. He actually admitted fouling Smith, and then immediately tried to back out of it! lol!! Like a good politician.

He definitely fouled Smith. It was pretty blatant but the whistle never came. I think the Lakers were only up 4-6 points at that particular time. It could have definitely shifted the momentum if that foul was called. I guess it was not meant to be. The actual turning point between these teams were a head to head matchup in the regular season that year. Both teams had similar records. We won the game and the blazers kind of went on a little downward spiral after. They were hot like the Lakers prior to that head to head from what I can remember.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Great game! Always brings back nostalgia.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Lakers-Blazers Game 7

Kobe24MSU wrote:
Just re-watched that game on YouTube. I was 11 years old when that game happened. I was already a diehard Lakers fan, but that game is what made me so obsessed with them.

I can't get over how ELECTRIC the crowd was. I had goosebumps watching the crowd chant defense in the 4th quarter. I hope our crowd can get like that again one day. Man those were some good times. I wish I wasn't so young those years.

Kobe to Shaq!! Then the NBA on NBC theme song starts playing. NBA was so much better back then.

You are so right, I have flashed on the same thought before.

You could tell it had been a long time since the Lakers won, I remember my own angst after a couple of Del Harris/Rambis seasons.

The crowd was insane then, Staples has not been like that since, except for maybe Kings Stanley Cup.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

1997 = Playoff Flameout
1998 = Playoff Flameout
1999 = Playoff Flameout

He moderated in real life, that's what happened. That's the story that nabbed him the mod job here (and all the money and chics that comes with it).

Explain the bolded GT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject:

How about Game 1? WHACK, GET OUT!! included:

http://tinyurl.com/nmk2xmt
BigRedApple13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

I remember going nuts when BShaw hit that 3 in the 4th and the infamous Kobe lob to Shaq. That game was the Sunday after my prom night, great weekend.

Miss Harp and Frobe.

IMO, I think the only time I saw Staples that electric on TV in the playoffs besides that game was 2003-Game 3 vs the Spurs (Champs going home down 0-2).
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

Memories as a Lakers fan that I will never forget. I'll never forget that lob from Kobe to Shaq. Signature play that started one hell of a run.

Ive been fortunate enough to witness three championship eras over the course of my lifetime.

Showtime era, Shaq/Kobe era, Kobe/Pau era.

The Shaq/Kobe era is by far my favorite championship era.

I was too young to really appreciate the Showtime era. The Shaq/Kobe era was dead smack at the start of my early 20's.

Even before they started winning titles together that Lakeshow era was sooooooooo damn enterataining to watch.

They were young,dumb and didnt know what it took to win but boy did they have swag and showmanship. Lakers games were must see TV when Shaq came to town.

Nick,Eddie,Ced,Elden,Shaq,Kobe,Rob,Fox,
Fish,T.Knight,Blount and the list goes on and on.

Just a hell of a good time to be a Lakers fan.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

I really enjoyed that game. It is incredible to see how complete that team was.

The time was different but if you look at any championship team, it is not build overnight.

We have a long way to go.
KBryantisclutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

That was a chilling game.
The 2004 Fisher .4 was probably the happiest I ever got from a lakers game in large because it was the season following the season in which the same opponent ended the run at 3 in a row.
2006 Lakers Suns game 4 is up there too. 2009 wcf game 3 was nice.
The biggest must win has to be the 2010 finals game 7. I told myself that if the lakers win that game, I will be good on championships for life. If they don't win any more in my lifetime, I'll die satisfied in this regard. Had they lost that game I still wouldn't have gotten over it.
As it is, our current state doesn't bother me too much because of what happened in June 2010.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Lakers-Blazers Game 7

LakerLanny wrote:
Kobe24MSU wrote:
Just re-watched that game on YouTube. I was 11 years old when that game happened. I was already a diehard Lakers fan, but that game is what made me so obsessed with them.

I can't get over how ELECTRIC the crowd was. I had goosebumps watching the crowd chant defense in the 4th quarter. I hope our crowd can get like that again one day. Man those were some good times. I wish I wasn't so young those years.

Kobe to Shaq!! Then the NBA on NBC theme song starts playing. NBA was so much better back then.

You are so right, I have flashed on the same thought before.

You could tell it had been a long time since the Lakers won, I remember my own angst after a couple of Del Harris/Rambis seasons.

The crowd was insane then, Staples has not been like that since, except for maybe Kings Stanley Cup.

FALSE !

I was at Staples Center live when Horry hit the game winning 3 pointer against The Kings in Game 4 of 2002 of WCF and trust me the crowd was just as loud and electric compared to this game. People in stands were hugging each other and giving high fives and cheers to fellow Laker fans that they probably didn't even know personally.

I was also at game 4 of the 2006 1st round against Phoenix when Kobe hit the game tying shot and game winning shots against The Suns. Same situation Staples Center was loud as hell and electric then also.

A lot of Laker fans and other fans who have never seen a game live at Staples Center and just watch the games on TV have a FALSE assumption that real Laker fans aren't passionate when watching the games live in person.

It's mainly due to the fact that there are celebrities that show up to the game and sit in the court side seats who are there just to be seen at the game that give other people this impression and generalization of all Laker fans attending games at Staples Center.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
22 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

He definitely fouled Smith. It was pretty blatant but the whistle never came. I think the Lakers were only up 4-6 points at that particular time. It could have definitely shifted the momentum if that foul was called. .

4 pt game I believe. With the way the Lakers were shooting those closing FT's, who knows what would have happened.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: