Harrowing police scene in NJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Harrowing police scene in NJ

CNN showed this scene yesterday. It took place on 12/30/14 in New Jersey. Here's the vid description (below). This one didn't have a lot of traction in the media because the guy who got shot sure looked like he was potentially up to something. He had an extensive record. He just kept forcing the issue for some reason. Officer probably thought he was gonna reach for another gun on his body (maybe small of back) after standing up. Either that or he might have tried to run. Maybe the guy didn't want to go to jail (he apparently already did a 13 yr bit), maybe he was UI of someting and didn't WANNA understand the gravity of the commands. No matter what, the ending was looking very inevitable as it often does in these vids. Everything this guy did pushed the panic buttons of the officer with his weapon drawn on him, putting him in Denzel mode, sounds like him. His partner near the driver's side moved to the front of the car so he wouldn't have his partner in the crossfire - it looked like he anticipated the subject getting out the car, and he got off one shot. When the guy stepped out, hands up or not, he got killed.

That's a job I wouldn't want for any amount of money. That's the kind of mindboggling situation that police occasionally experience that I don't think is easy to explain to civilians, tbh. You'll never know why the guy did what he did, suicide by cop? Inexplicable. It makes it hard to figure out if they were justified in shooting. The subject who had a concealed weapon in the glove box is gonna be viewed as a dangerous threat regardless of his hands. They're only gonna determine if he another gun on him after he's already dead.

Video released this week shows a black man was killed in Bridgeton, New Jersey, after two police officers—one who is white, another who is black—opened fire while the man stepped out of his car with his hands raised about shoulder-level.

Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject:

It was hard to tell, but it sure didn't seem like the victim was cooperating. With a gun drawn on you, I assume it's time to stop moving 100% if asked to. Even the slightest moves can be misconstrued as a threat. It's hard to tell if that is what happened here, but it sure sounds like it.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Harrowing police scene in NJ

non-player zealot wrote:
CNN showed this scene yesterday. It took place on 12/30/14 in New Jersey. Here's the vid description (below). This one didn't have a lot of traction in the media because the guy who got shot sure looked like he was potentially up to something. He had an extensive record. He just kept forcing the issue for some reason. Officer probably thought he was gonna reach for another gun on his body (maybe small of back) after standing up. Either that or he might have tried to run. Maybe the guy didn't want to go to jail (he apparently already did a 13 yr bit), maybe he was UI of someting and didn't WANNA understand the gravity of the commands. No matter what, the ending was looking very inevitable as it often does in these vids. Everything this guy did pushed the panic buttons of the officer with his weapon drawn on him, putting him in Denzel mode, sounds like him. His partner near the driver's side moved to the front of the car so he wouldn't have his partner in the crossfire - it looked like he anticipated the subject getting out the car, and he got off one shot. When the guy stepped out, hands up or not, he got killed.

That's a job I wouldn't want for any amount of money. That's the kind of mindboggling situation that police occasionally experience that I don't think is easy to explain to civilians, tbh. You'll never know why the guy did what he did, suicide by cop? Inexplicable. It makes it hard to figure out if they were justified in shooting. The subject who had a concealed weapon in the glove box is gonna be viewed as a dangerous threat regardless of his hands. They're only gonna determine if he another gun on him after he's already dead.

Video released this week shows a black man was killed in Bridgeton, New Jersey, after two police officers—one who is white, another who is black—opened fire while the man stepped out of his car with his hands raised about shoulder-level.

Yeah, I saw that earlier. In this case, I can't fault the officer. Even on the face of the actual encounter, dude had a lot going against him including a piece in the glove compartment and the fact that despite being told not to move, he came out of the car.

But in the article I read, there was more to the story. Dude had done a long bid for shooting police officers in the past and the shooting officer knew it because they had had a run in within the prior two weeks to the incident caught on film.

So, if I'm a cop and I know dude shoots cops, has a gun in his car, we just had a run in and he's coming out of the car towards me and there is someone else in the car who I can't keep track of fully, yeah, I'm probably going to load on him as well.

This isn't that Clown Wilson who just instigated the entire thing and didn't make good decisions. It's not the (bleep) who murdered Eric Garner and then put the nail in his coffin by letting him die instead of performing CPR. It's not the dude that just bum rushed the 12 year old and just executed him.

This was a perfect storm of badness and it wasn't, IMO, the officer's fault.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Harrowing police scene in NJ

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:

But in the article I read, there was more to the story. Dude had done a long bid for shooting police officers in the past and the shooting officer knew it because they had had a run in within the prior two weeks to the incident caught on film.

I didn't notice the first time, but the officer called him Jerome, so evidently he knew him. I'm starting to think the guy just reacted totally irrationally, probably fueled by not wanting to go back to prison on umpteenth offense. Might not have expected to get killed, but he was in a rush not to comply after the gun was discovered. I read that in Jersey, if you have a gun, it has to be in the trunk so Jerome ___ knew that was a charge, especially if it wasn't licensed to either of them. That's instinctual reaction from someone who has been the system as many times as he had. I now think he just had a WTHay irrational reaction to the thought of goin back. This is actually a case where there's enough resistance from the subject to, at worst, warrant some discussion. At best, it would be viewed by the DA as a wholly justifiable homicide. As far as that goes, the DA clearing them both is a slam dunk. It is interesting though that the other officer on the driver's side was prepared to shoot in the back. He got in position well before he fired.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject:

This reminds me of a horrific case that's in trial right now in Minnesota. Cop pulls over car. Unknown to him, guy in car has history of talking about wanting to kill cops, not wanting to go back to jail. As cop approaches, guy comes out firing, kills him. They just played the video in the courtroom, although TV stations cut out actual killing.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/289454631.html
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
This reminds me of a horrific case that's in trial right now in Minnesota. Cop pulls over car. Unknown to him, guy in car has history of talking about wanting to kill cops, not wanting to go back to jail. As cop approaches, guy comes out firing, kills him. They just played the video in the courtroom, although TV stations cut out actual killing.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/289454631.html

Prosecutors want to use gun evidence against Fitch, but firearms analysis isn’t science, Traub said. Some experts say the increasingly mechanized production of handguns makes it less likely that each gun will have its own, unique barrel markings, the sort of thing firearms analysis uses to identify which gun fired a bullet, she said.

---
Eeh, Gaaad, now they wanna turn the entire history of forensic ballistics on its head to release this scum. That gun was quite likely analyzed at Quantico, the most advanced facility of its type in the world. Amazing capabilities of picking apart evidence down to its molecular traces if need be. FBI analysts and scientists are on the ball if not the field agents 100% of the time. To quote an actual inmate that I saw re: the FBI, "They got angles on their angles. They got all the angles in the world; if they want you, they're gonna git you." He's in trouble... He looks like Sons Of Anarchy material.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: