Kobe's legend of playing through pain and major injuries historic. Lebron A/C comparison.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Kobe's legend of playing through pain and major injuries historic. Lebron A/C comparison.

I have never seen a guy play through real pain like Kobe has in the NBA. Bent and broken fingers, Broken bones, torn achilles, and now a torn rotator cuff? There is the per usual fake tough guy NBA characters we see so much of in the NBA...and Kobe brings you back to the old school way of doing things...a toughnesss that is non-existent in these new era of players.

Kobe is literally like a horse and would go until his body completely shuts down. When you look at that turn around left hand jump shot that he made you might notice the left hook shot which he missed afterwards was because he was fouled.

I do not know if we can really compare kobe to anyone else.

You look at Lebron for example, playing without Air Conditioning put him out of comission early on due to cramps in a finals situation. Can you imagine kobe quitting because of cramps...never would happen.

It isn't just that which separates him from lebron and these new era sissy boys....but it separates him from the other GOATS...

This is just another countless reason why he isn't just the greatest laker, or greatest competitor the game has ever season, but another reason why he is the GOAT over MJ as John Wooden had said.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe's legend of playing through pain and major injuries historic. Lebron A/C comparison.

Jeggs wrote:
I have never seen a guy play through real pain like Kobe has in the NBA. Bent and broken fingers, Broken bones, torn achilles, and now a torn rotator cuff? There is the per usual fake tough guy NBA characters we see so much of in the NBA...and Kobe brings you back to the old school way of doing things...a toughnesss that is non-existent in these new era of players.

Kobe is literally like a horse and would go until his body completely shuts down. When you look at that turn around left hand jump shot that he made you might notice the left hook shot which he missed afterwards was because he was fouled.

You look at Lebron for example, playing without Air Conditioning put him out of comission early on due to cramps in a finals situation. Can you imagine kobe quitting because of cramps...never would happen.

It isn't just that which separates him from lebron and these new era sissy boys....but it separates him from the other GOATS...

This is just another countless reason why he isn't just the greatest laker, or greatest competitor the game has ever season, but another reason why he is the GOAT over MJ.

I was with you until it hit the bold.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

playing hurt is admirable if we're in a playoff series with every game is critical. but playing hurt during meaningless regular season games is just dumb from all parties.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I agree about Kobe's heroics, ability to play through pain, and I have Kobe above Lebron. But the incessant need to tie to LBJ, or MJ is a bit ridiculous.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe's legend of playing through pain and major injuries historic. Lebron A/C comparison.

Jeggs wrote:

This is just another countless reason why he isn't just the greatest laker, or greatest competitor the game has ever season, but another reason why he is the GOAT over MJ as John Wooden had said.

If LeBron tried to play with cramps during the final minutes of the game, he would have hurt his team more than helped them. He wouldn't be able to move.
Variant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Not physically possible to play with a badly cramping calf... be it Kobe or Lebron.

That said, certainly Kobe's an iron man.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
playing hurt is admirable if we're in a playoff series with every game is critical. but playing hurt during meaningless regular season games is just dumb from all parties.

It was dumb, just to pass MJ on the scoring list. What was the hurry? You have a whole freaking season to pass him.
lalakeshow88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is a terrible comparison. I remember Iverson used to tough it out all the time as well. Kobe v Iverson is probably a better "pain matchup".
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Agreed, OP
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Why demean Kobe by comparing him to Lebron?
ppineda
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe's legend of playing through pain and major injuries historic. Lebron A/C comparison.

kikanga wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

This is just another countless reason why he isn't just the greatest laker, or greatest competitor the game has ever season, but another reason why he is the GOAT over MJ.

Just shows you how delusional some fans are. Like cramps are something you can play through... Like MJ didn't play hurt.

Kobe isn't the greatest Laker, and not the GOAT.

The injury just saved Kobe from shooting himself out of the GOAT coversation period. Best thing that happened to him this season.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Agreed, OP

Me too. His longevity and durability is unmatched.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe's legend of playing through pain and major injuries historic. Lebron A/C comparison.

kikanga wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

I was lost right when I tried to pretend to know how much pain Kobe or anyone else has. We know some players are tough and some aren't but it's impossible to make this comparison. It's like imagining which one had a tastier dinner last night. Only they would know.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Variant wrote:
Not physically possible to play with a badly cramping calf... be it Kobe or Lebron.

I've played through cramping that came and went until I had to be carried off the court with cramps in both legs. Minor cramping is different from legs locking up from severe cramping. Kobe can't overcome that anymore than any other human. The op's supposition reminds me of John Ireland interviewing Kobe immediately after he tore his Achilles, asking him if there was any chance of him playing the next game. It was downright stupid but people just wanted to believe Kobe was a robot. He's a man.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject:

If Kobe had a bad case of cramps, he wouldn't be able to play.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject:

The questions we will have to answer is whether Kobe's stubborn insistence on playing through injuries was heroic or foolish, self-sacrificing or self-destructive, a sign of toughness or a sign of self importance. There is some truth in both choices, of course, but personally I lean more toward the latter choices. I don't see much moral superiority in someone who chooses to carry injuries over someone who chooses to get healthy.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If Kobe had a bad case of cramps, he wouldn't be able to play.

it's not just the cramps thing, we all have seen pierce and wade carted off on wheel chairs, have seen lebron throw up important free throws with the left hand because of a sore elbow. Then there is Kobe, we have seen him dislocate his shoulder while being fouled on a three against the Cavs only to step up and MAKE ALL THREE FOUL SHOTS. We have seen the guy with a torn achilles (an injury most people would have rolled around in pain on the floor until being carried to the back for good) step up to the foul line and knock down both clutch foul shots. We've seen him dislocate fingers and run right over to the sideline and get it popped back in place and go right back to playing. I can't think of any other NBA player that has constantly played through and over come stuff like that. I remember him hurting his shoulder back in that Minnesota playoff series against Garnett and hurt his shoulder and he still managed that amazing baseline reverse that we are all familiar with. Then he comes back and plays with a tore rotator cuff... this dude is a freak when it comes to shutting out and playing through pain.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The questions we will have to answer is whether Kobe's stubborn insistence on playing through injuries was heroic or foolish, self-sacrificing or self-destructive, a sign of toughness or a sign of self importance. There is some truth in both choices, of course, but personally I lean more toward the latter choices. I don't see much moral superiority in someone who chooses to carry injuries over someone who chooses to get healthy.

Agreed kobe skirts the line between heroic/machine vs stubborn. That's what makes him fascinating.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

It was dumb, just to pass MJ on the scoring list. What was the hurry? You have a whole freaking season to pass him.

I think the season ending injuries the past 2 years actually forced Kobe to pass MJ pts ASAP. It was probably in the back of his mind that he could have another season ending injury or worse, career ending injury without passing MJ.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Why demean Kobe by comparing him to Lebron?

I know right?

!...
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

No comparison with Lebron or others. Kobe has played through a lot that has sidelined many NBA players including the above mentioned Pierce and LeBron. Is it foolish? Hell no its not. He doesn't create the roster. Mitch does that and has fielded the teams for several years. Kobe has achieved some great things while playing through injury. Its really up to Kobe he knows his body better than anyone.
CalvinJ21
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject:

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10952587_1031608430201014_8388350523959603815_n.jpg?oh=e5e02912e1205e474cbef9c672570378&oe=5569A6E2
Love me or hate me, it’s one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I’m a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I’m loved, for the exact same reasons.

- Kobe!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Agreed, OP

I'd say the guy whose durability and longevity was unmatched was really Karl Malone. He played 19 seasons, 1476 games, and in his first 18 seasons he never missed more than two games in a year -- he suited up for 99.25% of his team's games during that span. I don't think anyone in NBA history comes close to that -- in terms of durability, Malone is the Cal Ripken/Lou Gehrig of the NBA. You could make a case for Kareem too, playing 20 seasons and 1,500 games.

In terms of games played, minutes played and seasons played, there are probably 15-20 guys who on par with or better than Kobe. Kobe's thing is more about playing with injuries than longevity/durability. Don't get me wrong -- he's had a long career; but lots of other guys have too.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Agreed, OP

I'd say the guy whose durability and longevity was unmatched was really Karl Malone. He played 19 seasons, 1476 games, and in his first 18 seasons he never missed more than two games in a year -- he suited up for 99.25% of his team's games during that span. I don't think anyone in NBA history comes close to that -- in terms of durability, Malone is the Cal Ripken/Lou Gehrig of the NBA. You could make a case for Kareem too, playing 20 seasons and 1,500 games.

In terms of games played, minutes played and seasons played, there are probably 15-20 guys who on par with or better than Kobe. Kobe's thing is more about playing with injuries than longevity/durability. Don't get me wrong -- he's had a long career; but lots of other guys have too.

how many of thsoe "lots of guys" were explosive guards?
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Agreed kobe skirts the line between heroic/machine vs stubborn. That's what makes him fascinating.

You two should get a room.

When a soldier gets wounded in battle and keeps fighting...rather than tucking his tail in like Lebron and these other new era kids who will even pretend to be hurt just to get a foul call...

It is a warrior spirit, something many indians are familiar with.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: