ESPN: Lakers didn't treat aging superstar properly
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: ESPN: Lakers didn't treat aging superstar properly

Not sure if already posted but this article has me shaking my head.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/41019/lakers-didnt-treat-aging-superstar-properly

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO -- Kobe Bryant might have said it at a practice or a game, and he might have said it a month ago, or maybe longer. Byron Scott doesn't quite remember.

What the Lakers coach does remember is his star guard saying that his shoulder was bothering him.

“You all right?” Scott said he asked Bryant.

“I’m all right,” Bryant replied.

The two never talked about the issue again, Scott said.

Quote:
The first issue is well known: Scott simply played the 36-year old Bryant way too many minutes earlier this season -- a team-high 35.4 per night during the team’s first 27 games -- even though he said Bryant asked to play fewer minutes from the start.

Instead of employing a cautious Spurs-like approach, coach Byron Scott played Kobe Bryant too much early on.
“I don’t know if the wear and tear of playing so many minutes early is a result of what’s happening to him right now,” Scott said. “To be honest with you, I thought about that, it made me almost sick.”

Scott said he apologized to Bryant via text.

“His response was like, 'No, that ain’t it,'” Scott said. “He tried to make me feel better.”

Quote:
He still believes he can overcome because, well, he always has, even against great odds. The people around him -- namely Scott -- believe the same. At times, though, everyone seems to forget that Kobe Bryant is, first and foremost, human.

The usual protocol for a nagging injury, Scott said, is for a player to go talk to the team’s trainer, Gary Vitti. Does Scott know if Bryant ever did that? “I don’t,” Scott said.

Quote:
Where does blame lie? Certainly some falls on Bryant. He’s as powerful as any figure within the Lakers’ organization and as powerful as any player within any NBA franchise. If he wanted to play fewer minutes, he could have. If he wanted to get his shoulder examined earlier, he could have. The only person who could’ve stopped Kobe was Kobe, but he didn’t, because Kobe is Kobe. He believes he will overcome.

So the blame truly falls on Scott, who hasn’t been shy about admitting his fault in the issue. And, to a greater degree, the blame truly falls on the entire organization for not stepping in at some point earlier on when Bryant was playing all those minutes.

If the Lakers wanted a good lesson in how to handle superstars late in their careers, they only needed to glance down the sideline Friday.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he started resting Tim Duncan after winning the championship in 1999 “because the following year Timmy had a bad knee going into the playoffs. We had to make a decision.”

Duncan was 23 years old at the time and had just played his second NBA season.

“The docs cleared him, he could probably play, but I didn’t let him,” Popovich said. “I held him out. I did that with the thought of wanting him to have as long of a career as he wanted to. I didn’t want to take a chance to send him out there and do more damage to it. We had playoffs. So it started way back then.”

Fast-forward to Friday, and Duncan, now 38, had 14 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks in 20 tidy minutes as the Spurs rolled to a double-digit win.

Scott has talked about the Spurs being the “blueprint” for how to properly rest players, and Popovich talked about that blueprint, the one the Lakers didn’t follow.

“You have a long view in the sense that you think about it, you look at the schedule at the beginning of the year, that kind of thing,” Popovich said. “Because it depends on how much people played in the last three days or last night and what’s coming up in the schedule or who else is hurt or injured.

“It’s never about wins or losses, it’s not about that,” Popovich said. “You don’t overplay somebody to get the win. Sometimes you’re in circumstances where it happens, like the two triple-overtimes we had. That really skewed things for us. I hated watching those guys play all those minutes, but I guess it would have been sweeter if we won. In general, it’s a process and you talk about it daily and weekly.”

The phrases “It’s never about wins and losses” and “You don’t overplay somebody to get the win” appear to be exactly what the Lakers didn’t do with Bryant early on this season, even though this season was never headed anywhere to begin with.

Either way, Bryant is now hurt, likely gone for the season, facing yet another rehab, and it’s not clear how this will affect what should be his final season in the NBA.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: ESPN: Lakers didn't treat aging superstar properly

fiendishoc wrote:

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/41019/lakers-didnt-treat-aging-superstar-properly

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO -- Kobe Bryant might have said it at a practice or a game, and he might have said it a month ago, or maybe longer. Byron Scott doesn't quite remember.

What the Lakers coach does remember is his star guard saying that his shoulder was bothering him.

Quote:
The first issue is well known: Scott simply played the 36-year old Bryant way too many minutes earlier this season -- a team-high 35.4 per night during the team’s first 27 games -- even though he said Bryant asked to play fewer minutes from the start.

Instead of employing a cautious Spurs-like approach, coach Byron Scott played Kobe Bryant too much early on.
“I don’t know if the wear and tear of playing so many minutes early is a result of what’s happening to him right now,” Scott said. “To be honest with you, I thought about that, it made me almost sick.”

“His response was like, 'No, that ain’t it,'” Scott said. “He tried to make me feel better.”

Quote:
He still believes he can overcome because, well, he always has, even against great odds. The people around him -- namely Scott -- believe the same. At times, though, everyone seems to forget that Kobe Bryant is, first and foremost, human.

The usual protocol for a nagging injury, Scott said, is for a player to go talk to the team’s trainer, Gary Vitti. Does Scott know if Bryant ever did that? “I don’t,” Scott said.

Quote:
Where does blame lie? Certainly some falls on Bryant. He’s as powerful as any figure within the Lakers’ organization and as powerful as any player within any NBA franchise. If he wanted to play fewer minutes, he could have. If he wanted to get his shoulder examined earlier, he could have. The only person who could’ve stopped Kobe was Kobe, but he didn’t, because Kobe is Kobe. He believes he will overcome.

So the blame truly falls on Scott, who hasn’t been shy about admitting his fault in the issue. And, to a greater degree, the blame truly falls on the entire organization for not stepping in at some point earlier on when Bryant was playing all those minutes.

If the Lakers wanted a good lesson in how to handle superstars late in their careers, they only needed to glance down the sideline Friday.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he started resting Tim Duncan after winning the championship in 1999 “because the following year Timmy had a bad knee going into the playoffs. We had to make a decision.”

“The docs cleared him, he could probably play, but I didn’t let him,” Popovich said. “I held him out. I did that with the thought of wanting him to have as long of a career as he wanted to. I didn’t want to take a chance to send him out there and do more damage to it. We had playoffs. So it started way back then.”

Fast-forward to Friday, and Duncan, now 38, had 14 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks in 20 tidy minutes as the Spurs rolled to a double-digit win.

Scott has talked about the Spurs being the “blueprint” for how to properly rest players, and Popovich talked about that blueprint, the one the Lakers didn’t follow.

“You have a long view in the sense that you think about it, you look at the schedule at the beginning of the year, that kind of thing,” Popovich said. “Because it depends on how much people played in the last three days or last night and what’s coming up in the schedule or who else is hurt or injured.

“It’s never about wins or losses, it’s not about that,” Popovich said. “You don’t overplay somebody to get the win. Sometimes you’re in circumstances where it happens, like the two triple-overtimes we had. That really skewed things for us. I hated watching those guys play all those minutes, but I guess it would have been sweeter if we won. In general, it’s a process and you talk about it daily and weekly.”

The phrases “It’s never about wins and losses” and “You don’t overplay somebody to get the win” appear to be exactly what the Lakers didn’t do with Bryant early on this season, even though this season was never headed anywhere to begin with.

Either way, Bryant is now hurt, likely gone for the season, facing yet another rehab, and it’s not clear how this will affect what should be his final season in the NBA.

Yeah the Lakers have really mistreated Kobe Bryant.

Give me a break. Typical garbage ESPN hit piece. Lakers + something negative = clicks.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject:

damn Jim Buss for not micro managing the greatest coach of all time, Byron Scott.

Jim should handle Byron's daily planner from now on.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject:

No one is blaming Jim for Byron's stubbornness. We can lay plenty of blame on him for bringing us to the circumstance that led to Byron's hiring and this season.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: ESPN: Lakers didn't treat aging superstar properly

VegasLakerFan wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Give me a break. Typical garbage ESPN hit piece. Lakers + something negative = clicks.

This article says what most of us in here have been saying all season. Byron played Kobe as much as he could and relied on Kobe to pull himself out of games if it was too much. Something we all know is not something Kobe is going to do. Kobe was willingly playing with one arm the last game. As long as he put Kobe out there, Kobe was going to do his best to play. For some reason, Byron failed to realize that.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

Setting aside the fact that there's zero evidence of a correlation between this injury and minutes played, can anyone list all the players from Kobe's draft class that are still playing in the league?
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:

I think the Lakers FO is incompetent and that Byron is a terrible coach but thats besides the point here. This article is absolute nonsense.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:

Garbage article. It's no surprise that Kobe's body is breaking down.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: ESPN: Lakers didn't treat aging superstar properly

VegasLakerFan wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Agree..

Kobe averaged 1min. per game more than Duncan over his first 17 yrs.

Also, Pop is full of it as well, love Pop, but Duncan averaged almost 40min. Per game over his first 6 years. Pop did not limit Tim's min. At 23 yrs. old as he is saying.

This is a bunch poppycock, the stars play big min. period.

And who is responsible for Kobe own training routine.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

Difference between the Spurs and lakers is front office strategies and market constraints. Lakers like the flashy, top superstars which is consistent with the Hollywood mantra. Spurs have a glorified Euro style team.

Lakers last gasp at keeping its multiple stars approach died with howard/pau/nash. It was a valiant approach but it's left quite a mortgaged future.

So the team has few assets to surround kobe at precisely the time he needed the most help in his career.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:

I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go around the current Laker & Kobe situation. However, Kobe would probably be the first to admit he was on board.

For all the Lakers have been through, the Buss kids are atill learning how to run this franchise without their dad. Let's hope that, for the good of the franchise, they bounce back with a solid plan.

This is not the first franchise to suffer at the hands of the heirs but they do have some good management pieces; they just need to figure things out, make a plan and avoid winging it...we'll see...
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

And if the Lakers didn't play him X amount of minutes, we were tanking. It's a no-win situation, and ESPN is reporting their usual propaganda to try and find something to stick.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Setting aside the fact that there's zero evidence of a correlation between this injury and minutes played, can anyone list all the players from Kobe's draft class that are still playing in the league?

First, we'll have to excuse you mixing up correlation and causation (because I think you're talking about cause here). Then we will have to set aside the fact that you are making this claim without having examined Kobe, nor his medical records. The shoulder was already injured. Basketball involves the shoulder musculature all the time. Repetitive use does not allow for injuries to heal. In fact, it will worsen them (unless you can explain to me how the body can fully heal an injury associated with a joint when that joint is constantly in motion).

Also, the fact that most of Kobe's draft class is no longer in the league would speak to the rather large and obvious correlation (not cause) between minutes played and retirement. If heavy minutes did not contribute to wear and tear injuries, players would play forever.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
And if the Lakers didn't play him X amount of minutes, we were tanking. It's a no-win situation, and ESPN is reporting their usual propaganda to try and find something to stick.

Seeding controversy sells and more when the actual fan base buys in...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
ocho wrote:

First, we'll have to excuse you mixing up correlation and causation (because I think you're talking about cause here). Then we will have to set aside the fact that you are making this claim without having examined Kobe, nor his medical records. The shoulder was already injured. Basketball involves the shoulder musculature all the time. Repetitive use does not allow for injuries to heal. In fact, it will worsen them (unless you can explain to me how the body can fully heal an injury associated with a joint when that joint is constantly in motion).

Also, the fact that most of Kobe's draft class is no longer in the league would speak to the rather large and obvious correlation (not cause) between minutes played and retirement. If heavy minutes did not contribute to wear and tear injuries, players would play forever.

The argument was that If he had played fewer minutes he could have or would have avoided the injury. The same argument was made when he tore his Achilies. How many minutes per game should he have been playing in order to avoid these injuries?

There are plenty of players from Kobe's draft class who didn't play heavy mpg. I bring up his draft class to highlight that he hasn't been robbed of an extended career because of malpractice on the part of the organization.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

Got nothing new to say about this topic.

Kobe knows his body better than espn. He said Scott's relatively high minutes for him earlier in the season didn't cause the injury.

Espn has expected and wrote about Mamba's downfall for half a decade. I'm sure this article pleases many at Bristol.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

Lakers have treated Kobe Bryant to the tune of $328,238,062 when his 20th year of his contract has finalized. Can you imagine making $16,411,903.10 for 20 years playing a freakin game where you put an orange ball in a open cylinder? Perspective. Use it.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

We must remember that early in the season, Kobe was leading the league in scoring and he was on his quest for all time points. I imagine the thought of leading the league in scoring at his age was of interest to Kobe and the Lakers both, though for different reasons.

As he began to slip from a good lead, to a slim lead to second and then third in scoring, he minutes began to lessen. He was tied in scoring 12/6 and 12/7. When Harden scored 34 he took a slight lead but then followed with 44 on 12/11. On 12/12 Kobe played over 40 minutes but only scored 22. That seemed to be the point where leading the league in scoring had a new reality. At that point, he was averaging 35.6 minutes per game but that was only for 23 games. From that point on, Kobe's minutes began to lessen, averaging 32 minutes per game.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Lakers have treated Kobe Bryant to the tune of $328,238,062 when his 20th year of his contract has finalized. Can you imagine making $16,411,903.10 for 20 years playing a freakin game where you put an orange ball in a open cylinder? Perspective. Use it.

This is more interesting than the article itself.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

This is a good companion piece to the Jeggs thread about how Kobe is better than Lebron and the others because he plays through injuries. You have to take the good with the bad.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: ESPN: Lakers didn't treat aging superstar properly

VegasLakerFan wrote:

Exactly.

He is a basketball player. He plays basketball. If you are the coach, of course you play him and the number of minutes honestly were not outrageous in my opinion.

ESPN is a joke.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:

Great point Oliver.

I love basketball and the Lakers and Kobe but to me it is ludicrous to pay that kind of money to someone to play basketball, honestly it seems like there could be a lot better social uses for it but I guess that is another conversation.

But let's stop with "the Lakers mistreated Kobe" nonsense already. They could not have been more loyal to Kobe and I do respect them for that even if the last contract they handed out to him killed our chances to win while it is being performed.
Firelord_Rag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

Basically what I saw was that Byron Scott is a clueless idiot!
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:

Uhm no. Actually, Byron decided to volunteer the very surprising fact that Kobe's own expectation of minutes was lower than his, and that he decided to go with his own unwise choice. The expectations of fans like myself were that Kobe should play 30 minutes or less. And we protested the excess minutes Kobe was getting while he was getting them.

So if Kobe was playing restricted minutes no one would have cried tank.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Great point Oliver.

I love basketball and the Lakers and Kobe but to me it is ludicrous to pay that kind of money to someone to play basketball, honestly it seems like there could be a lot better social uses for it but I guess that is another conversation.

But let's stop with "the Lakers mistreated Kobe" nonsense already. They could not have been more loyal to Kobe and I do respect them for that even if the last contract they handed out to him killed our chances to win while it is being performed.

In that same amount of time, how much money did Kobe make the Buss family? Is it fair to say that the success which Kobe brought to this franchise played a major role in them getting their TV deal with TWC? How many butts did he put in the seats...not only for the Lakers, but for the NBA at large? How many Laker jerseys did he sell?

Don't even bring up money....because at the end of the day, Kobe is still underpaid for what he did for this franchise.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: