Fox News Raises Alarm Over College Course About Race

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Fox News Raises Alarm Over College Course About Race

LINK

This is a sensitive subject. The course is about the root of social injustice. Sides will be taken, lines will be drawn.

Maturity is key when debating the teaching of this class. I think some will be incensed by it, some not.

Posters remember the TOS stay within it's rules and regulations.

This will be a difficult thread to moderate. I ask the Mods to give more latitude knowing there will be some who will attempt to derail the thread.

Read and discuss

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject:

Somewhat on subject, back in about 1970 or 1971, I took a course on black lit. The instructor was a brilliant but quirky white man married to a black woman. I had taken another course from him the semester prior and I recall the words trite and cliched in his critique of one of my papers.

We talked of what it was to be a man, and his relationship to his family and how or if the black experience was unique. We read Treblinka (the story of Jews escaping a prison camp) and Native Son, a book I will never forget.

This was not about just about liberalism, as we dug in and touched a nerve that is still sensitive regarding the black man and his role as patriarch, still such a relevant issue today.

What discussions. This, to me, is a large part of what higher education is all about, learning to see from other's eyes and learning to see the world from less of a parochial view-something Fox viewers might have a problem with. As Will McAvoy said on the Newsroom, to be a Republican today, I have to deny facts, think scientific research is a long-con and I have to have such a stunning inferiority complex that I fear education and intellect.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Somewhat on subject, back in about 1970 or 1971, I took a course on black lit. The instructor was a brilliant but quirky white man married to a black woman. I had taken another course from him the semester prior and I recall the words trite and cliched in his critique of one of my papers.

We talked of what it was to be a man, and his relationship to his family and how or if the black experience was unique. We read Treblinka (the story of Jews escaping a prison camp) and Native Son, a book I will never forget.

This was not about just about liberalism, as we dug in and touched a nerve that is still sensitive regarding the black man and his role as patriarch, still such a relevant issue today.

What discussions. This, to me, is a large part of what higher education is all about, learning to see from other's eyes and learning to see the world from less of a parochial view-something Fox viewers might have a problem with. As Will McAvoy said on the Newsroom, to be a Republican today, I have to deny facts, think scientific research is a long-con and I have to have such a stunning inferiority complex that I fear education and intellect.

Native on was a great book. Its main shortcoming, in my opinion, is that Bigger displays some sociopathic tendencies which aren't reflective of a normal person.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

For anyone interested in early race relations I suggest something like Two Princes Of Calabar for a quick read or Final Passages:The Intercolonial Slave Trade of British America if you want something meaty. What's also good is Winthrop Jordan's White Over Black.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:

I obviously can't speak to the content of the course, but the title of it is clearly racist.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Native on was a great book. Its main shortcoming, in my opinion, is that Bigger displays some sociopathic tendencies which aren't reflective of a normal person.

Plant a seed in fertile soil the seed will flourish. Plant the identical seed in tarnished soil the seed will wither.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

So Fox News is up in arms about a college class about the role of race in American culture? Okay. For Fox News, everything is a call to arms.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: