For those who blame MDA for Kobe's achilles......
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoulder doc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: For those who blame MDA for Kobe's achilles......

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I didn't like the guy at all for our HC. But despite all medical evidence to the contrary, MDA has taken a lot of flack for somehow running Kobe into the ground and thereby causing the Achilles Rupture.

So, now Brandon Jennings at the age of 26 and playing 28 mpg goes out and does the same thing. Was he being over worked too?

Achilles tears just happen sometimes. No one knows what happened with Kobe. Period.

It is also true that if someone injures their knee for example it puts more stress on other parts of the same and opposite leg as the body tries to compensate. This effect is even more when the body is fatigued and results in being more vulnerable to injury.

As a fan and Orthopaedist, it was painful because that fateful night Kobe was obviously exhausted and had hurt himself more than once and was limping around. I was terrified and praying that something bad wouldn't happen. It is true that Achilles ruptures can just happen and we can't prove medically that the fatigue and injury caused it.

You have an older player with a lot of miles, who is playing 45 plus minutes a night for multiple games, being the primary scorer and facilitator and injured himself multiple times in the game and limping around before the catastrophic injury. When you look at the situation overall, criticism of the organization is understandable.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Wasn't MDA's fault.

Yes, it was risky playing Kobe exhausted. The thing is, I doubt Kobe would have come out.

He had not been severely injured before, so he still had the mindset that he could play through anything.

We were also fighting to get into the playoffs, so every game... every minute... mattered in pursuit of that. There's no way Kobe could live with himself if we barely lost the game and missed the playoffs by 1 game.

Also, if Kobe had already somewhat hurt his Achilles, his Achilles may have fully torn anyway at home.

Last edited by Reflexx on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I find myself wondering about shoes. Do we know that they don't contribute?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject:

I will go with Dr Klaper's opinion on this subject...
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: For those who blame MDA for Kobe's achilles......

kray28_ wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I didn't like the guy at all for our HC. But despite all medical evidence to the contrary, MDA has taken a lot of flack for somehow running Kobe into the ground and thereby causing the Achilles Rupture.

So, now Brandon Jennings at the age of 26 and playing 28 mpg goes out and does the same thing. Was he being over worked too?

Achilles tears just happen sometimes. No one knows what happened with Kobe. Period.

Kobe's Achilles rupture didn't just happen. He got stepped under by Dahntay Jones several weeks before on a jumpshot. Then he played 5 straight 48 minute games and then came up lame twice in the Golden State game. The second time looked very much like he injured his ankle pretty badly. Vitti was seen talking to D'Antoni on the sideline, but D'Anotni decided not to pull Kobe. After all that...the rupture happened.

This is important!

You can say that in general Achilles tears are strange things that just happen and I agree.

But it is also true that fatigue is likely to lead to an injury. And a previous injury, if not healed properly, often leads to another one.

Sure, there is no direct linkage, but it is likely that the way MDA was using Kobe was making an injury more probable.

One thing is certain - if MDA would have treated Kobe with care he would have benched him after the first injury. Heck, most of the coaches would have done it. And you ALWAYS sit the player when your athletic trainer says that's what you should do.

If MDA had done it, Kobe would not have torn his Achilles. Simple as that.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject:

Can we just institute a rule that any time a player over the age 34 comes up limping or grabbing something during a game, we sit him the rest of the way, or at least for 10 minutes?
GigaPaladin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: For those who blame MDA for Kobe's achilles......

kray28_ wrote:

Kobe's Achilles rupture didn't just happen. He got stepped under by Dahntay Jones several weeks before on a jumpshot. Then he played 5 straight 48 minute games and then came up lame twice in the Golden State game. The second time looked very much like he injured his ankle pretty badly. Vitti was seen talking to D'Antoni on the sideline, but D'Anotni decided not to pull Kobe. After all that...the rupture happened.

Having played sports a lot and dealing with my share of injuries, I can tell you that most of my injuries happened when I was tired/fatigued. It gets even worse when you're already playing with damaged body parts.

I suffered a pretty severe ankle injury about three years ago...I tore two ligaments in my ankle and also stretched my Achilles. The doctor gave me a lot of insight on interrelated the ankle was with the Achilles and how a weak ankle could put excess strain on the Achilles tendon.

Troof bombs..mda redlined kobe until he broke
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: For those who blame MDA for Kobe's achilles......

s_habe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

This is important!

You can say that in general Achilles tears are strange things that just happen and I agree.

But it is also true that fatigue is likely to lead to an injury. And a previous injury, if not healed properly, often leads to another one.

Sure, there is no direct linkage, but it is likely that the way MDA was using Kobe was making an injury more probable.

One thing is certain - if MDA would have treated Kobe with care he would have benched him after the first injury. Heck, most of the coaches would have done it. And you ALWAYS sit the player when your athletic trainer says that's what you should do.

Mda treating Kobe with care would have prevented other injuries, but not tearing his Achilles. Kobe could have played 5 min a game, but the likelyhood he tears it against gs would have been the same.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:

Any orthopedics/sportsmed have an opinion on this?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

he probably didn't do a good job of preventing him from any injuries.
Janggoon8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

I blame MDA because he was being negligent about Kobe's health during the game. Kobe seemed to have hurt his leg (a couple of times) before for actual rupture. The guy was obviously tired and beat yet MDA just left him in there. I remember yelling at the screen to have Kobe taken out.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Any orthopedics/sportsmed have an opinion on this?

read the post from shoulder_doc at the top of the page
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
24 wrote:
So why then, for example, do you find hundreds of guys playing on sprains, yet not one of them ruptures an achilles?

Isn't that a bit like, why do you find people who smoke not getting lung cancer?

Health issues, at least for now are really just numbers games of probabilities.

No, it would be like finding no statistical rise in cancer among smokers. If fatigue from heavy minutes and risk from playing on an injured foot/leg cause Achilles tears, there should be some, any, data to support it. But the data doesn't bear it out.

BTW, the Achilles is usually ruptured in a north south plant, not a twist, which is why sprains don't increase risk to any measurable degree. Also, lack of stretching or warming up is far riskier than fatigue.

With achilles injuries, they're so infrequent, you're finding no statistical significance from anything but tendonitis and lack of stretching, clearly they aren't the only causes, otherwise no professional athlete would ever likely suffer them.

As for injury risk, the most common for that sort of thing is compensation risk, since your ankle's purpose is to leverage push-off (essentially working to benefit the achilles), the question biomechanically would be, was he unable to use his ankle that way and put undue stress on his achilles (you injure your ankle twisting it sure, but that's because it does something it's not meant to do, once it's injured, it's prevented from doing what it should do).
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Wilt averaged 48 minutes a game for a season. He didn't rupture his Achilles. I don't buy the minutes played argument.

Could it have been a compensation injury because he was favoring other injuries? Sure, it's possible. Kobe goes far beyond other players in playing through injuries. Warrior to a fault, intensely competitive, and alpha to the max.

Do I think MDA had final say in whether Kobe takes the floor in a key game like that? No way. I think if anyone played Kobe too much, then Kobe played Kobe too much, not MDA.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: For those who blame MDA for Kobe's achilles......

dabask11 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

This is important!

Mda treating Kobe with care would have prevented other injuries, but not tearing his Achilles. Kobe could have played 5 min a game, but the likelyhood he tears it against gs would have been the same.

That is a ridiculous claim. Playing Kobe five minutes a game versus 40 would absolutely have reduced his chances of tearing an Achilles significantly. You don't put nearly the amount of pressure on your body walking around versus playing NBA basketball. The more minutes you play, the higher your chance of injury. If you've suffered injuries in the past that are still affecting you, your chances for injury go up. If you're fatigued your chances of injury go up. That doesn't mean it's a guarantee you will get hurt or you won't get hurt if you do or don't suffer from all those factors; it's just a matter of probabilities. A freak accident can still occur, but redlining an older player is just making things worse.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: For those who blame MDA for Kobe's achilles......

Stop, just stop, with this nonsense, Kobe got hurt because Achilles tears just happen sometimes. You know that coaches cause all injuries to great players. Making sense destroys speculation, we want to speculate, it makes total sense.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: For those who blame MDA for Kobe's achilles......

mhan00 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

This is important!

That is a ridiculous claim. Playing Kobe five minutes a game versus 40 would absolutely have reduced his chances of tearing an Achilles significantly. You don't put nearly the amount of pressure on your body walking around versus playing NBA basketball. The more minutes you play, the higher your chance of injury. If you've suffered injuries in the past that are still affecting you, your chances for injury go up. If you're fatigued your chances of injury go up. That doesn't mean it's a guarantee you will get hurt or you won't get hurt if you do or don't suffer from all those factors; it's just a matter of probabilities. A freak accident can still occur, but redlining an older player is just making things worse.

Nope. As 24 has pointed out, the ridiculous claim is you and others linking fatigue/amount of minutes to primarily causing Kobe to tear his Achilles. An Achilles tear is not your typical injury. Medical experts and literature have shown it as multivariable. Therefore, it's hard to pinpoint the exact cause or develop preventatory methods.

Kobe playing 5 vs 40 minutes that year does not change his age nor the amount mileage from all the games he's played being in the league. Such factors are just as likely to cause an Achilles tear. However, there are hardly any studies showing certain factors being either the primary reason or predominantly causing an Achilles tear over other factors. How Brandon Jennings suffered his tear is a good example. There's a reason many say it happens by chance.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
24 wrote:
So why then, for example, do you find hundreds of guys playing on sprains, yet not one of them ruptures an achilles?

Isn't that a bit like, why do you find people who smoke not getting lung cancer?

No, it would be like finding no statistical rise in cancer among smokers. If fatigue from heavy minutes and risk from playing on an injured foot/leg cause Achilles tears, there should be some, any, data to support it. But the data doesn't bear it out.

BTW, the Achilles is usually ruptured in a north south plant, not a twist, which is why sprains don't increase risk to any measurable degree. Also, lack of stretching or warming up is far riskier than fatigue.

Statistics are a funny animal. Don't let it ruin common sense. Fatigue leads to mistakes, which means you aren't using your body optimally which may lead to error and injury. Yes, it some ways, its a roll of the dice, you never know when you might put your foot out just so, and then have someone else just happen to be under it. But if you play smart and are managed by someone that thinks smart, they know how to minimize risk.

You say "any data to support it", but if it EVER happened, then that is data. Just because you don't find a lot of "correlation" (which does not equal causation, especially in your relatively small sample size) doesn't mean, IN ANY SINGLE CASE, it wasn't the reason. Don't get blinded by numbers.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: For those who blame MDA for Kobe's achilles......

dabask11 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

This is important!

Nope. As 24 has pointed out, the ridiculous claim is you and others linking fatigue/amount of minutes to primarily causing Kobe to tear his Achilles. An Achilles tear is not your typical injury. Medical experts and literature have shown it as multivariable. Therefore, it's hard to pinpoint the exact cause or develop preventatory methods.

Kobe playing 5 vs 40 minutes that year does not change his age nor the amount mileage from all the games he's played being in the league. Such factors are just as likely to cause an Achilles tear. However, there are hardly any studies showing certain factors being either the primary reason or predominantly causing an Achilles tear over other factors. How Brandon Jennings suffered his tear is a good example. There's a reason many say it happens by chance.

There were two obvious things that typically lead to injury - high workload (long minutes in multiple games in a row) and other injuries. You add the two together and the chance of (any) injury skyrockets.

Whatever the coach thinks about playing time, if your MVP has an injury in the game you take him out. OK, he sais it is under control. But then he has another injury. After the second injury you definitely take him out.

MDA did not.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: For those who blame MDA for Kobe's achilles......

s_habe wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

This is important!

There were two obvious things that typically lead to injury - high workload (long minutes in multiple games in a row) and other injuries. You add the two together and the chance of (any) injury skyrockets.

Whatever the coach thinks about playing time, if your MVP has an injury in the game you take him out. OK, he sais it is under control. But then he has another injury. After the second injury you definitely take him out.

MDA did not.

It's funny how the OP uses the Jennings injury to remove blame on MDA. Blame has never been about the type of injury. It's always been about not restricting the minutes and coaching to get effective use out of the bench. Kobe was racking a high amount of minutes and an injury was inevitable.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
24 wrote:

.... that is when it comes to the achilles .... I would add that if we are looking for injuries of which fatigue could be a factor then we should be talking about sprains as opposed to achilles injuries....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: