ROCKETS -at- LAKERS - 1-25-15 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.

Strange that Scott needs to try out Sacre as a starter. I love Sacre, but he is not a starter. No need to shame him.

It is also about a time to call off the Kelly-at-SF experiment. This does not work. Strange enough, it is kind of OK on D. But on offensive end, Kelly is just lost. He is a natural PF. Stop repeating the MDA mistakes.

Quote:
“It looked to me to be honest with you that he didn’t want to be here,” Scott said of Nick. Scott showed him some tape of him lost on D at halftime and didn’t like Nick’s answer. /.../ In the second half after that halftime discussion, Nick stayed on the bench.

Scott showing some spine! Lovely! Better late than never.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject:

Unstable wrote:
Thanks db,

I've already given up trying to understand what bs is trying to achieve. But it's clear we are in tank mode. Just not sure if the league will slap any fine on lakers for being so blatantly obvious about it.

Technically it's not tanking, just like Philly isn't tanking. Tanking is the players trying to lose, being bad isn't tanking. And the rule doesn't apply to front offices, the true masterminds behind losing teams.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Unstable wrote:
Thanks db,

I've already given up trying to understand what bs is trying to achieve. But it's clear we are in tank mode. Just not sure if the league will slap any fine on lakers for being so blatantly obvious about it.

Technically it's not tanking, just like Philly isn't tanking. Tanking is the players trying to lose, being bad isn't tanking. And the rule doesn't apply to front offices, the true masterminds behind losing teams.

The league isn't going to do anything about it, but starting your entire third string all of the sudden is something you do when you're trying to lose.
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Telleris wrote:
Unstable wrote:
Thanks db,

The league isn't going to do anything about it, but starting your entire third string all of the sudden is something you do when you're trying to lose.

You hit the nail on the head with your earlier post - nobody bats an eye when BS starts his third string.

How do you impose a fine when the coach is just - well - being himself. Craziness is par for the course when it comes to BS.
Lakerbull
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

Young is our best offensive player now. why bench him when he's looking for his game? BS is sowing the seeds of discontent.
Lakerbull
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject:

Unstable wrote:

For those who are asking or Lin to be traded away, you will still need him to put up solid performances on the court before any other team would want to pick him up. Look rockets had to give us a pick to take Lin, so if we want to trade him mid season we need him to have good stats. His salary situation isn't helping.... As such most teams will likely to wait till he is a free agent - currently I peg Him at around 4m per year type of pg.

his expiring is valuable enough midway this season cuz most losing teams has gotten a good look at their chances and decide just to look forward to next season while the winning teams identified their holes and might wanna beef up for a run at the playoffs and may need interim help.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject:

How many Houston cast-offs do we have?

Lin?
TBlack?
Hill?
ADA32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

We are definitely in the tanking mode!
Take Ronnie Price for example as starter.
In his 10 years career, he played 466 regular season games and started 55 (as of 1/26/2015).
regular season - game played/game started
2005-2006 29/0
2006-2007 58/1
2007-2008 61/3
2008-2009 52/17
2009-2010 60/4
2010-2011 59/0
2011-2012 36/8
2012-2013 39/0
2013-2014 31/2
2014-2015 41/20 (as of 1/26/2015)

He is in league for sometime and went through SAC, UTA, PHX, POR, ORL
or five other teams. I don't know how much improvement Bryon Scott expected from Price?

The Byron-Ronnie show is pathetic and you don't have to be a coach to see this is a tanking move. Now Sacre, the list go on and on.

Byron, you are doing a good job. Go baby, go, tank and tank some more!

The best about being a Lakers Fan is read DancingBarry's great write-up.
Great job, DB!
SIT_GOODWIN_SIT!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
great DB.

um...hard to watch the lakers right now. and i feel bad for nick u can really tell he was upset on the bench. byron has got to be the worst coach ever. right now hes just doing the wrong things and upsetting whatever chemistry the team has and respect for him i feel.

anyway, lin missed a lot of fts that annoyed me but i guess it was okay because that was the hardest lin has played in awhiel and he was missing his fts from being tired. i liked his aggresiveness, but i wonder, if he really is that aggressive and now going with a dont give an eff attitude, why doesnt he keep asking for a pick ? i saw ed give him a pick once but it wasnt a great one.

just confuses me.

/rant

I think he would have been trapped with how the Rockets were playing the screens. In fact, any time Terry was defending him he just needed to go iso.

Yes, good point Mr. DancingBarry...
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.
Lin is not a superstar, but fair to say that Lin is probably the 2nd best player after Kobe in this bad team.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
Thanks, DB.

Strange that Scott needs to try out Sacre as a starter. I love Sacre, but he is not a starter. No need to shame him.

It is also about a time to call off the Kelly-at-SF experiment. This does not work. Strange enough, it is kind of OK on D. But on offensive end, Kelly is just lost. He is a natural PF. Stop repeating the MDA mistakes.

Quote:
“It looked to me to be honest with you that he didn’t want to be here,” Scott said of Nick. Scott showed him some tape of him lost on D at halftime and didn’t like Nick’s answer. /.../ In the second half after that halftime discussion, Nick stayed on the bench.

Scott showing some spine! Lovely! Better late than never.

Based on Byron's post-game comments, they have to do a beter job of getting Kelly acclimated to the SF. The experiment will continue.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject:

Lakerbull wrote:
Young is our best offensive player now. why bench him when he's looking for his game? BS is sowing the seeds of discontent.

Best scorer off of the bench, yes. Best offensive player, I don't think so. I'm not sure who the best offensive player is. Sometimes it is Boozer, sometimes it is Lin, sometimes it is Young from a scoring standpoint, sometimes even Hill.
SIT_GOODWIN_SIT!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

ADA32 wrote:
In his 10 years career, he played 466 regular season games and started 55 (as of 1/26/2015).
2005-2006 29/0
2006-2007 58/1
2007-2008 61/3
2008-2009 52/17
2009-2010 60/4
2010-2011 59/0
2011-2012 36/8
2012-2013 39/0
2013-2014 31/2

or five other teams. I don't know how much improvement Bryon Scott expected from Price?

The Byron-Ronnie show is pathetic and you don't have to be a coach to see this is a tanking move. Now Sacre, the list go on and on.

Great job, DB!

Byron Scott + Ronnie Price + Stu Lantz = Sausage fest wrapped in a conspiracy flavored bun.

Still trying to figure out why Price has urge to dunk...
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
jenopogi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

I will not be surprised if there will be a "players only meeting" that will happen soon.
JL#7 in Purple and Gold. Shoutout to my Lakers4Life Buddy Ian M.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject:

SIT_GOODWIN_SIT! wrote:
ADA32 wrote:
2005-2006 29/0
2006-2007 58/1
2007-2008 61/3
2008-2009 52/17
2009-2010 60/4
2010-2011 59/0
2011-2012 36/8
2012-2013 39/0
2013-2014 31/2

Great job, DB!

Byron Scott + Ronnie Price + Stu Lantz = Sausage fest wrapped in a conspiracy flavored bun.

Still trying to figure out why Price has urge to dunk...

Because this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEMrYFrWw1s
ADA32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

Ronnie is multi-talented. He can also throw shoe at ball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=2QN_u7f-8Rs&feature=player_detailpage&x-yt-cl=84503534

Part of Byron and Ronnie show!
lrrp
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

Renmei wrote:
Real talk, is there some sort of patreon we can set up for DB or some way to get this man paid? I've been on many team boards and have never seen anything this well done for free..
Agree.
SIT_GOODWIN_SIT!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject:

ADA32 wrote:
Ronnie is multi-talented. He can also throw shoe at ball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=2QN_u7f-8Rs&feature=player_detailpage&x-yt-cl=84503534

Part of Byron and Ronnie show!

Woo hoo! Ah..the infamous "shoe incident." That was quite a pisser!

In all seriousness, I'd like to see the team put something together where there will be stretches with Lin and Price on the floor simultaneously.
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

Sacreligious wrote:
I'm glad DB does these writeups. Saves me the trouble of watching this garbage.

I am about at that point with Byron starting players who should be glued to the bench. It's embarrassing for the team and is just not enjoyable to watch, at all. This isn't about "potential," that's BS and it's tanking. The Lakers currently suck even when starting their best players, but at least they're remotely competitive. This is deliberately throwing games.
meows a lot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

EldenCampbell wrote:
Sacreligious wrote:
I'm glad DB does these writeups. Saves me the trouble of watching this garbage.

I am about at that point with Byron starting players who should be glued to the bench. It's embarrassing for the team and is just not enjoyable to watch, at all. This isn't about "potential," that's BS and it's tanking. The Lakers currently suck even when starting their best players, but at least they're remotely competitive. This is deliberately throwing games.

also any ounce of team moral left is probably crushed. losing games, coaches not trusting any players. what a terrible leader. no one is going to fight for him and play hard.
what's the same instead of
always looking at what's different,

...well, who knows?”

- Meowth
JLinfanJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Lakersprime wrote:
"Lin is not a superstar, but fair to say that Lin is probably the 2nd best player after Kobe in this bad team."

Everyone wants to praise, and criticize Lin, like he is the Peyton Manning of the NBA (puts the defense on it's heels just because he steps on the field), when, in fact, he is much more like Eli:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play/09000d5d82649532/Championship-Game-Anatomy-Manning-s-TD-pass

Lin is never going to carry an NBA team to a championship, but he can push a well constructed and well coached team over the top, if deployed properly (e. g. 35 minutes a game; 10 shot attempts per game, along with few drives to basket for foul shot attempts, all to calibrate the range on his jump shot so if Kobe needs him to step up in fourth quarter and help him close out an opponent, he can actually do it (Lin has a history as a slow starter, so 15 - 20 spot minutes and 6 shot attempts per game just doesn't allow him to establish any flow or rhythm as a shooter; you can see how discombobulated Lin's jumper and three point shot looks this year with Byron Scott's yo yo act with his minutes and being pulled for rest of game for slightest mistake at times); at least one other focal point on offense that defense has to fully honor (i. e. he has to be "hidden" among the starters on any team), so there is a price to pay if defense tries to just load up and stop Lin; Lin attacking out of pnr with big like Tyson Chandler or perhaps Ed Davis; and he has to represent a true triple threat driving to the basket (i. e. unexpected or deliberately conceded midrange pull up jumper, not just drive all the way to hoop to get blocked, or pass out to three point line and get pass picked off because defense is fully aware that is what he has been instructed to do)

He is indeed the second best player on team after Kobe, if you define "best" in the proper context (incremental difference maker on a championship squad, not the foundational cornerstone of a franchise who is asked to carry a large part of any given team's offensive load over full regular season grind):

- J. J. Barea: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4679694/j-j-barea-is-biggest-little-man-in-finals

- Eli Manning: http://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/02/06/superbowl46

- 7, 8, and a 12?: http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-03-02/ssac-sloan-sports-analytics-conference-new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin

Quote:
"It's strange. People want Lin to come off the bench, want him traded, doesn't think he "fits" with the team, won't call him a star... but still expect him to play like one, and complain about anything less than perfection."

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8546331&postcount=1338
philnyc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

JLinfanJoe wrote:
Lakersprime wrote:
"Lin is not a superstar, but fair to say that Lin is probably the 2nd best player after Kobe in this bad team."

Everyone wants to praise, and criticize Lin, like he is the Peyton Manning of the NBA (puts the defense on it's heels just because he steps on the field), when, in fact, he is much more like Eli:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play/09000d5d82649532/Championship-Game-Anatomy-Manning-s-TD-pass

Lin is never going to carry an NBA team to a championship, but he can push a well constructed and well coached team over the top, if deployed properly (e. g. 35 minutes a game; 10 shot attempts per game, along with few drives to basket for foul shot attempts, all to calibrate the range on his jump shot so if Kobe needs him to step up in fourth quarter and help him close out an opponent, he can actually do it (Lin has a history as a slow starter, so 15 - 20 spot minutes and 6 shot attempts per game just doesn't allow him to establish any flow or rhythm as a shooter; you can see how discombobulated Lin's jumper and three point shot looks this year with Byron Scott's yo yo act with his minutes and being pulled for rest of game for slightest mistake at times); at least one other focal point on offense that defense has to fully honor (i. e. he has to be "hidden" among the starters on any team), so there is a price to pay if defense tries to just load up and stop Lin; Lin attacking out of pnr with big like Tyson Chandler or perhaps Ed Davis; and he has to represent a true triple threat driving to the basket (i. e. unexpected or deliberately conceded midrange pull up jumper, not just drive all the way to hoop to get blocked, or pass out to three point line and get pass picked off because defense is fully aware that is what he has been instructed to do)

He is indeed the second best player on team after Kobe, if you define "best" in the proper context (incremental difference maker on a championship squad, not the foundational cornerstone of a franchise who is asked to carry a large part of any given team's offensive load over full regular season grind):

- J. J. Barea: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4679694/j-j-barea-is-biggest-little-man-in-finals

- Eli Manning: http://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/02/06/superbowl46

- 7, 8, and a 12?: http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-03-02/ssac-sloan-sports-analytics-conference-new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin

Quote:
"It's strange. People want Lin to come off the bench, want him traded, doesn't think he "fits" with the team, won't call him a star... but still expect him to play like one, and complain about anything less than perfection."

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8546331&postcount=1338

Um...Eli Manning is a 2x Super Bowl MVP, and he's the clear leader of his team. Has carried them on his back many times.
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Unstable wrote:
Thanks db,

Well, of course (no teams declares that it is tanking). I believe in 2012 - stern fined Spurs when pop decided to not bring his 3 best players along when they faced Miami (fine of 250K) - I think the official reason was for "deliberately not fielding a competitive team".

The rationale is that fans pay money to come and watch their favorite stars play in a ball game and to deprive that pleasure from paying fans is not a good practice and needs to be discouraged (hence that fine).

Of course in 2013, Pop got smarter and that was also the year where we saw the reason for him resting Duncan registered as (DNP - Old).

Whle Pop could get away with it because Duncan is indeed "old" in terms of NBA player's playing age. Our JLin is a youngster - and he is quite highly paid and not injured - to purposely not field him already went into the "deliberately not fielding a competitve team" category of move. Wonder if Pop will call Silver and said hey your predecessor fined me for resting my best players - why aren't you doing anything about them Lakers resting JLin for no good reason? But knowing Pop he probably can't be bothered by this....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: