American Sniper
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I watched the movie with very little knowledge about Chris Kyle (I'm from Australia), so I wasn't aware of his death or the case about Jesse Ventura, which in turn probably made the movie better for me. Coopers performance was great, I'd give it a 8.5/10.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Downloaded Kodi tonight. I can watch movies on my big screen. Just finished watching American Sniper. Gave it a 8.

I was confused by the beginning. I thought the woman was his wife and the children were his.

Snipers must go through hell. Killing women and children has to take it's toll.

im behind in times. explain the kodi thing

new xbmc
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
It would've felt much better if the real Chris Kyle wasn't a pathological smoke blower.

Having read the book and getting some insight into the way Kyle was raised and what he experienced, I take less issue with him and his overblown patriotism and disdain for the Iraqi people than I do with Eastwood for portraying the Iraqi people so one dimensionally and dismissively.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Like Jodeke I watched on xbmc and it was OK. Clint has the formula for making action stuff. He recreated it again. But like someone said not his best effort. Hollywood's latest paen to the GWOT. The wife was annoying no wonder he went back for 4 tours. Don't know the years but the possibility was he was stop-lossed on some tours.

******* SPOILER********* The scene with him calling his wife in the middle of a firefight was totally unbelievable. Don't know if it was Clint or Kyle who made that one up but please.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Like Jodeke I watched on xbmc and it was OK. Clint has the formula for making action stuff. He recreated it again. But like someone said not his best effort. Hollywood's latest paen to the GWOT. The wife was annoying no wonder he went back for 4 tours. Don't know the years but the possibility was he was stop-lossed on some tours.

******* SPOILER********* The scene with him calling his wife in the middle of a firefight was totally unbelievable. Don't know if it was Clint or Kyle who made that one up but please.

Yeah, Rowdy Yates is pure action.

I think Clint threw that in.

I read somewhere he made up the scene where Kyle shot a person with a rocket launcher and a kid picked it up and aimed it at the convey.

Kyle agonized at the prospect of having to kill the kid. He kept saying, don't pick it up. When the kid dropped the launcher he breathed a sigh of relief and collapsed on his rifle.

I wonder if the dog scene was also fabricated?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject:

Just saw it - I liked the movie, but yeah, it was really "hollywoodized" up. Talking on the phone with his wife during battle scenes, making his antagonist a sniper that he keeps encountering, when in real life that would never happen in such a large war, and some other things.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject:

For some reason, I didn't even know (or remember) he was killed by a guy he was trying to help. What a coward that guy was - at some gun range. On equal ground, Kyle would kill him 100/100 times. Apparently, the trial is going to start next month. Kind of unnecessary, if you ask me.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Just saw it - I liked the movie, but yeah, it was really "hollywoodized" up. Talking on the phone with his wife during battle scenes, making his antagonist a sniper that he keeps encountering, when in real life that would never happen in such a large war, and some other things.

Yep, anyone that knows how the military works knows this never happens.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject:

I've been gnawing on No Easy Day here and there. That's not even terribly riveting, so I'm not hoping for something I haven't heard before, but I figure if I saw Limitless, I can see Brad Cooper play a big boy role before he bankrolls that into superhero movies a la Jeremy Renner. I'm actually somewhat surprised that he's a better actor than a pure faceman already. I think the American public still likes to hear stories of military success even if it's down to the 1-man level (we can't be picky anymore), but we're all saturated after 10 yrs, not to mention desensitized in general.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

That was one of the several areas where the adaptation of the book was weak. It really oversimplified and oversimplified that situation and made it seem implausible. But it did happen.

It wasn't a case of a guy following him around Iraq over the course of his career, as the film implied. But there was a bounty placed on Kyle's head by the insurgents when he started to rack up kills. When the insurgents made the realization that Kyle was operating in a certain sector, they brought in an accomplished sniper from Syria (if I recall correctly) to try and take Kyle out and they did encounter each other a couple of times.

This was also the case with the man who was previously known as the US's most lethal sniper, Carlos Hathcock, when he was fighting in Vietnam. The North Vietnamese placed a bounty on Hathcock and brought in their best snipers in to try and kill him. There was one very prolific one who was known to the US and was ultimately killed by Hathcock. There are also stories of similar situations in WW II regarding Russian snipers, though the historical accuracy of them is in question, but not uproven.

So while the situation was depicted quite dis-believeably in the film, there is indeed truth to that aspect of the movie. I'm sure that Kyle embellished a few things in his memoir, but the core aspects of it were backed and verified by the Navy.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If you're into sci fi watch Lucy, Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman.

Delves into the mythical possibilities of what happens if more than 10% of the brain is utilized.

What I liked, the ending wasn't predictable.

such a dumb movie

Limitless pulled it off so much better

(it being a false rumor btw, we use way more than 10% of the brain)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
jodeke wrote:
If you're into sci fi watch Lucy, Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman.

Delves into the mythical possibilities of what happens if more than 10% of the brain is utilized.

What I liked, the ending wasn't predictable.

such a dumb movie

Limitless pulled it off so much better

(it being a false rumor btw, we use way more than 10% of the brain)

Yeah, I know. I worded my post poorly, par for the jodeke course. I used mythical to imply we used more than 10% of our brain.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Yep, anyone that knows how the military works knows this never happens.

It's not authorized, but during the "GWOT" years, there's been stories of soldiers accidentally pressing speed-dial during a firefight, and the family back home hearing everything.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:
It would've felt much better if the real Chris Kyle wasn't a pathological smoke blower.

Having read the book and getting some insight into the way Kyle was raised and what he experienced, I take less issue with him and his overblown patriotism and disdain for the Iraqi people than I do with Eastwood for portraying the Iraqi people so one dimensionally and dismissively.

I had no problem with Kyle's idiosyncratic nature...it's knowing that he liked to simply make things up which dampened the authenticity factor for me.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how this movie compares to , Enemy at the Gates. A must see sniper movie..

I get the feeling from what I'm reading here is that, American Sniper is just okay.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:

I had no problem with Kyle's idiosyncratic nature...it's knowing that he liked to simply make things up which dampened the authenticity factor for me.

I don't think it's just him. I read a lot of these type of books and my guess is that the publisher's really push to embellish stories or in the Ventura/American sniper case, completely fabricate them. That's the take that I get. It's akin to reality TV producers trying to get the cast to do outlandish things for ratings.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

easybreeze wrote:
I wonder how this movie compares to , Enemy at the Gates. A must see sniper movie..

I get the feeling from what I'm reading here is that, American Sniper is just okay.

Enemy at the Gates had period & the sanctimony of WWII to give it some weight. Even if it didn't it still had a much more interesting story and cast. Also 19th century rifles. Its weak spot was the English accents (Bob Hoskins as Kruschev but with the 100% Hoskins accent).

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
easybreeze wrote:

Enemy at the Gates had period & the sanctimony of WWII to give it some weight. Even if it didn't it still had a much more interesting story and cast. Also 19th century rifles. Its weak spot was the English accents (Bob Hoskins as Kruschev but with the 100% Hoskins accent).

Yea it was a solid movie but I don't know if it was must see. Enemy at the Gates also wasn't based on a memoire either so to it's benefit, the writers could go hogwild with the story. Of course, one can say the same was done with the story in American Sniper.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
easybreeze wrote:

Yea it was a solid movie but I don't know if it was must see. Enemy at the Gates also wasn't based on a memoire either so to it's benefit, the writers could go hogwild with the story. Of course, one can say the same was done with the story in American Sniper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Zaytsev

Not entirely hogwild.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
easybreeze wrote:

Enemy At The Gates, to me, was more a love than a sniper story. American Sniper was more believable as true. The ending of EATG was predictable.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject:

My daughter and I caught it Saturday night, I thought it was pretty good. My take away from the movie is that I hope no one I love ever gets involved in a war like that.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject:

aachan wrote:
I watched the movie with very little knowledge about Chris Kyle (I'm from Australia), so I wasn't aware of his death or the case about Jesse Ventura, which in turn probably made the movie better for me. Coopers performance was great, I'd give it a 8.5/10.

Thanks for the spoiler alert.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
aachan wrote:

Yeah. I remember a meeting at work in 07 where this bullhorn-loud twaught was discussing sh from No Country For Old Men while it was still in theaters (I think I was planning to see it on the weekend). I was pissed. I had no chance to leave before hearing the offending knowledge or to shut idiot up because he was across the room. One of those people in life whose conversational tone could break a wine glass. I wanted to channel Anton and make him call a coin toss; tell him, "You stand to win everything, call it...". In the case of Yank Sniper, I also got spoiled, but then I remembered hearing about Kyle's story already. At best, I would've forgotten knowing until being reminded.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
aachan wrote:

Yeah. I remember a meeting at work in 07 where this bullhorn-loud twaught was discussing sh from No Country For Old Men while it was still in theaters (I think I was planning to see it on the weekend). I was pissed. I had no chance to leave before hearing the offending knowledge or to shut idiot up because he was across the room. One of those people in life whose conversational tone could break a wine glass. I wanted to channel Anton and make him call a coin toss; tell him, "You stand to win everything, call it...". In the case of Yank Sniper, I also got spoiled, but then I remembered hearing about Kyle's story already. At best, I would've forgotten knowing until being reminded.

I knew about his death but that didn't spoil the movie for me because it had nothing to do with the movie.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
aachan wrote:

I don't know if you can really complainer about "spoilers" when you are taking about projects that were based on real people, real events and where the fates of the people involved were covered widely in the news.

One can cry foul when it comes to works of fiction because there is no reasonable expectation that people know the conclusion of the story and that everyone has read it or seen it already.

But when it comes to subject matter based on real life events, if you don't know the story, you can't expect everyone to tippy toe around the facts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: