iPhone 5S 32 gb ($149) vs iPhone 6 16 gb ($199)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

iPhone 5S 32 gb ($149) vs iPhone 6 16gb ($199)?
iPhone 5S 32 gb ($149)
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
iPhone 6 16 gb ($199)
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: iPhone 5S 32 gb ($149) vs iPhone 6 16 gb ($199)

So my phone update arrives in a little over a week. Been thinking about what to get, and I've boiled it down to those two. I'm no iSheep, it just didn't make sense to switch ecosystems right now with how much I've put into my current 4S.

So as you can see, with the 5S I get twice as much storage but a smaller screen, and I save a bit of cash initially. Storage space is important to me as I don't like being restricted in terms of apps I can load, pictures I can take, etc.

But there's always a draw to owning the newest thing, and I'd love to have a phone with a larger screen as my hands are pretty big. I've lived with a 16gb 4S for two years so I could probably make it work.

What say you LG? Storage space or a large screen? The other differences between the phones don't really matter to me...they each perform nearly identically and I have no use for NFC yet.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject:

16 is so small. After the OS you don't have a lot of space. There's no way you can swing for a 64gb 6?
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
16 is so small. After the OS you don't have a lot of space. There's no way you can swing for a 64gb 6?

+1
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

It's possible...it just doesn't feel right to spend an extra $100 on a "what if" luxury. Just how my brain's wired.

32gb would be perfect for my usage needs, as they currently are. It's too bad they didn't double the base model.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: iPhone 5S 32 gb ($149) vs iPhone 6 16 gb ($199)

Don Draper wrote:
So my phone update arrives in a little over a week. Been thinking about what to get, and I've boiled it down to those two. I'm no iSheep, it just didn't make sense to switch ecosystems right now with how much I've put into my current 4S.

So as you can see, with the 5S I get twice as much storage but a smaller screen, and I save a bit of cash initially. Storage space is important to me as I don't like being restricted in terms of apps I can load, pictures I can take, etc.

But there's always a draw to owning the newest thing, and I'd love to have a phone with a larger screen as my hands are pretty big. I've lived with a 16gb 4S for two years so I could probably make it work.

What say you LG? Storage space or a large screen? The other differences between the phones don't really matter to me...they each perform nearly identically and I have no use for NFC yet.

My Bro has a 6 (a 64G one), and I have a 5S (32). Mine was literally half the price of his, and to be honest I actually like it better too. The 6 is a little too big for my liking, and I don't think the added features of the 6 are great enough to justify putting up with the added size and cost. We both got them on a contract, mine was less than half the upfront cost and nearly half the monthly cost too, I'm not enough of a tech geek to care about having the latest phone, I'm perfectly happy with the 5S.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: iPhone 5S 32 gb ($149) vs iPhone 6 16 gb ($199)

Moses wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

My Bro has a 6 (a 64G one), and I have a 5S (32). Mine was literally half the price of his, and to be honest I actually like it better too. The 6 is a little too big for my liking, and I don't think the added features of the 6 are great enough to justify putting up with the added size and cost. We both got them on a contract, mine was less than half the upfront cost and nearly half the monthly cost too, I'm not enough of a tech geek to care about having the latest phone, I'm perfectly happy with the 5S.

Good to know, as I'm leaning heavily towards the 5S. $196 vs $355 (tax included) is a huge difference up front, and the monthly costs are way less, as you say.

Given how similar they are (the 5S actually runs better than the 6 Plus due to lower resolution), the 5S might as well be called the 6 Mini.

While I'm a huge tech geek, I see no need to always being on the absolute bleeding edge. I would have been fine sticking with my 4S for a little while longer had it not suffered "some" (I dropped it into a river) water damage last year.
Alpha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

As a Sprint customer I just got the 6 (16gb as i really don't need the memory)... here's the thing that sold me. After loyalty credit, I lease the phone for $1/month... no contract. *bam*
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
As a Sprint customer I just got the 6 (16gb as i really don't need the memory)... here's the thing that sold me. After loyalty credit, I lease the phone for $1/month... no contract. *bam*

Sweet! Like I said, I can make 16gb work, I just would appreciate a little bit of a buffer. This past year I've had about 1-2gb free on my 4S, and have had to delete some games and photos periodically.

That's why 64gb is a bit overkill for me considering the upfront cost...I bet I'd still have around 10gb free on a 32gb device with everything on it that I want.
Alpha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Aside from instagram, an occasional visit to FB, surfing or shopping... i really don't find the necessity for a lot of memory. I had a SIII 16gb with 16gb micro sd but never really used it.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject:

You'll regret not getting the extra screen space.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject:

16 GB is less than ideal, but it's workable as long as you transfer and delete the photos/videos that you take.

Doesn't make much sense to get an outdated phone, IMO.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
You'll regret not getting the extra screen space.

Probably. Still got a week-ish to decide. We'll see.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
16 GB is less than ideal, but it's workable as long as you transfer and delete the photos/videos that you take.

Doesn't make much sense to get an outdated phone, IMO.

Yeah. 16gb works as long as you aren't lazy...plus cloud storage is always getting better.

Outdated doesn't bother me too much these days. I'd be surprised if any software released in the next few years really stresses the 5S processor.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject:

What about phones like the G3, M8, S5, Note 3 or 4, etc.? You can use something called "IOS Launcher" to mimic/copy the IOS environment.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
What about phones like the G3, M8, S5, Note 3 or 4, etc.? You can use something called "IOS Launcher" to mimic/copy the IOS environment.

They're all on my radar, if there's a deal for them. Verizon had an offer for a free Moto X 2nd gen this past week that I would have jumped on, but they've since raised the price.

If there's a good deal on any of those (as in, cheaper than the iPhones), I might jump on em.

I'm not really married to the iOS look or feel, moreso to the money I've spent in the app store and the fact that everyone I know has an iPhone, so iMessage is convenient.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

They're all on my radar, if there's a deal for them. Verizon had an offer for a free Moto X 2nd gen this past week that I would have jumped on, but they've since raised the price.

If there's a good deal on any of those (as in, cheaper than the iPhones), I might jump on em.

I'm not really married to the iOS look or feel, moreso to the money I've spent in the app store and the fact that everyone I know has an iPhone, so iMessage is convenient.

I've got a Note 4. Amazing phone-- the battery charges by 50% in thirty minutes and the screen resolution is incredible. Hasn't died on me once since I got it in October.

It's $299, but it's well worth it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I've got a Note 4. Amazing phone-- the battery charges by 50% in thirty minutes and the screen resolution is incredible. Hasn't died on me once since I got it in October.

How would you describe its performance when you're trying to do a bunch of things on it? Do you use the stylus at all?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

How would you describe its performance when you're trying to do a bunch of things on it? Do you use the stylus at all?

I've never run into a processing or speed issue, and you can have multiple windows open at once.

The Stylus is kind of gimmicky in my opinion. They've increased the pressure sensitivity so that it's more accurate, but it still makes mistakes and is way slower than just typing with the keyboard. The fingerprint swipe is also iffy.

Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I've never run into a processing or speed issue, and you can have multiple windows open at once.

The Stylus is kind of gimmicky in my opinion. They've increased the pressure sensitivity so that it's more accurate, but it still makes mistakes and is way slower than just typing with the keyboard. The fingerprint swipe is also iffy.

Ah ok, pretty much what I expected. One "plus" of the Note 4 is that you can hook it up to Samsung's new virtual reality headset...maybe you can test it out for us
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Woah, hadn't seen that before. What exactly is it supposed to do and how much is it?

Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Woah, hadn't seen that before. What exactly is it supposed to do and how much is it?

It's basically a beta version of the Oculus Rift, called the Gear VR, designed by Oculus. $350 on amazon.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

It's a great phone. I was personally considering the Note 3, since it would be cheaper and since most people say it's still a very good phone. Have you compared the two before?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

It's a great phone. I was personally considering the Note 3, since it would be cheaper and since most people say it's still a very good phone. Have you compared the two before?

I have. My sister has a Note 3, and I considered getting one before deciding to wait for the Note 4. I also looked at them side-by-side when I was back home over break.

The resolution is 386 pixels per inch for the Note 3 vs 515 for the Note 4, and to me the difference is definitely noticeable. Can't comment on processing speeds because I only really browse the web, check email and FB, etc. so it wasn't noticeable.

The main advantage of the Note 4 over the Note 3 is the rapid charge feature of the latter. 30 minutes will bring a depleted battery to 50%. That's insane. I would recommend getting the Note 4 for that reason alone. It's amazing to have a phone which not only NEVER dies on you, but can rapidly be charged if it does.

Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I have. My sister has a Note 3, and I considered getting one before deciding to wait for the Note 4. I also looked at them side-by-side when I was back home over break.

The resolution is 386 pixels per inch for the Note 3 vs 515 for the Note 4, and to me the difference is definitely noticeable. Can't comment on processing speeds because I only really browse the web, check email and FB, etc. so it wasn't noticeable.

The main advantage of the Note 4 over the Note 3 is the rapid charge feature of the latter. 30 minutes will bring a depleted battery to 50%. That's insane. I would recommend getting the Note 4 for that reason alone. It's amazing to have a phone which not only NEVER dies on you, but can rapidly be charged if it does.

The Note 3 should feel pretty fast, since its processor is only a bit slower than the Note 4's and its got a lower resolution.

If anyone wants a Note 3 Verizon is selling them for $99 with a two year contract now...not a bad deal.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

The Note 3 should feel pretty fast, since its processor is only a bit slower than the Note 4's and its got a lower resolution.

If anyone wants a Note 3 Verizon is selling them for $99 with a two year contract now...not a bad deal.

Nice phone. The missus got one we hen they first came out she regularly has about 10 apps going on in the background and it just rolls on .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: