What if Kobe had gone to Wizards in 2003?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: What if Kobe had gone to Wizards in 2003?

Joining MJ as the mentor and then young Wizards?

We all know how Kobe was during that Years of Prime Waste.

The chance of Lakers winning with old Oneal would be slim but Kobe with young Wizards would probably look much promising.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/WAS/2004.html

Lakers might have got Agent Zero (Arenas and one or two role players but Kobe will have still in prime Steve Blake, Larry Hughes and blah blah blah.

And we all know, Kobe probably didn't have to score 40+ to save the day with the 2003 Wizards roster, which funnily included Stonehand Kwame.

That would have been intriguing exchange for Lakers and Wizards.

What do ya think?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:

The Wizards were pretty sucky in those days. They would be much better with Kobe over Arenas, but it's hard for me to see that squad doing much in the playoff without further changes -- which brings up really deep into woulda coulda shoulda territory.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject:

What if Kobe had gone to the Spurs on a minimum contract?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Lakers were the perfect platform and place for kobe. Wouldn't and shouldn't change a thing.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

For sure, 2003-04 wizrads would not be 25-57 with 2003- Kobe.
And the next 8 years at least could be entertaining for the Wizardsand NBA.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Wow, Kobe considered going to a number of different teams during his free agency. Truly unheard of.
Sako32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/kobe-bryant-wanted-play-michael-jordan-wizards/
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject:

It's all but impossible to accept Kobe's claim at face value. This is just a prep speech as he'll try to recruit free agents for the Lakers during the offseason.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject:

The real question is, what if the Sixers had drafted Kobe in 1996? I mean, he was breaking Wilt Chamberlain records in their backyard, yet, they thought drafting AI would further their interest.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Even though Kobe is an all time great, I do feel his career legacy actually suffered from playing with Shaq.
Without Shaq, his scoring records would be ridiculous. Im not even sure 81 would be his career high. At the very least, Im pretty sure he'd have at least 5 70 point games which isnt really a longshot, he scored over 55 in 3 quarters a few times in his life.

I still think he would get his championships, 4 at least.

All time great for sure...but should've even been greater IMO.

I do think he needed Phil though...much more than Shaq.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
Even though Kobe is an all time great, I do feel his career legacy actually suffered from playing with Shaq.
Without Shaq, his scoring records would be ridiculous. Im not even sure 81 would be his career high. At the very least, Im pretty sure he'd have at least 5 70 point games which isnt really a longshot, he scored over 55 in 3 quarters a few times in his life.

lmao at this. kobe would be like carmelo/ai/tmac/or gilbert withotu shaq. are you kidding me
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/WAS/2002.html

A crappy team with an aging superstar with 2 years left in him. Nobody joined MJ in WAS, why would anyone want to join Kobe?
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

lmao at this. kobe would be like carmelo/ai/tmac/or gilbert withotu shaq. are you kidding me

Not sure how to put this in a civil and respectful way...but thats the dumbest thing I've read in a very long time here. And I apologize if it offends u, u are entitled to ur opinion but thats the argument Kobe haters used before he won his titles without Shaq..
By winning without Shaq, he shut em up forever.

He is not a TMac, AI, whatever. He is Jordan/LeBron level. More dominant than both as a scorer though.

Kobe would've killed without Shaq.
I remember in 2002, Shaq misses a game...Kobe scores 56 in 3..
In 2003, he was pretty much averaging a triple double or close to it without Shaq.

Kobe needed Phil. Not Shaq. Shaq held Kobe back.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
The real question is, what if the Sixers had drafted Kobe in 1996? I mean, he was breaking Wilt Chamberlain records in their backyard, yet, they thought drafting AI would further their interest.

Would a Kobe led 76ers team with Mutombo as the starting center beat Shaq's Lakers?
Travers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Shaq would win a few more titles consecutively with Phil, and talents like Bynum will developed and shined. Lakers will always remain competitive and good free agents keep coming.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
15 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Not sure how to put this in a civil and respectful way...but thats the dumbest thing I've read in a very long time here. And I apologize if it offends u, u are entitled to ur opinion but thats the argument Kobe haters used before he won his titles without Shaq..

He is not a TMac, AI, whatever. He is Jordan/LeBron level. More dominant than both as a scorer though.

In 2003, he was pretty much averaging a triple double or close to it without Shaq.

Shaq and Kobe sold themselves short. Maybe they were going after MJ's title count, when they had the youth and momentum to challenge Bill Russell's title count.
ISOM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

That is ridiculous. Hasn't Kobe proved that he could win without shaq? Are you really discounting the 2009/2010 championships? Come on now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Travers wrote:
Shaq would win a few more titles consecutively with Phil, and talents like Bynum will developed and shined. Lakers will always remain competitive and good free agents keep coming.

Lakers wouldn't have drafted Bynum with Shaq around......
Not to mention reading your previous posts, I can tell you have a Kobe hating agenda going on....
http://forums.lakersground.net/search.php?search_author=Travers
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/WAS/2002.html

A crappy team with an aging superstar with 2 years left in him. Nobody joined MJ in WAS, why would anyone want to join Kobe?

I'm sure he entertained the idea, but when it came down to serious contract negotiations, he wanted to stay in LA, which is why only the Clippers and Lakers were serious contenders at the time. With the Lakers offering the most money at the time, it was a no brainer.
Travers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
15 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

When Robin left Batman, Robin still Robin. Shaq is Unique and irreplaceable while D wade, T mac, Carmelo, Lebron, Harden, many many players who can replace Kobe and have similar production.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Wow, Kobe considered going to a number of different teams during his free agency. Truly unheard of.

Yep, shocking, players would actually consider multiple teams to put their name out there so they can be wooed, wined and dined and feel wanted...what a concept.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Travers wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
15 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

When Robin left Batman, Robin still Robin. Shaq is Unique and irreplaceable while D wade, T mac, Carmelo, Lebron, Harden, many many players who can replace Kobe and have similar production.

Are u kidding me? Kobe is not a freaking Robin. He is a Batman who played a 2nd fiddle to another Batman.
That argument is lame btw. Shaq had NVE and Eddie Jones, didnt win.

Not taking anything from Shaq, he would still win without Kobe but Kobe would also win without Shaq, not even taking into account that he did win without Shaq...
Im talking about the time period of the early 00's...just like Kobe and Pau won a few yeaes later, they would also win in the early 00's..

Never understood why the argument in these scenarios is always that Shaq could win with other swingmen but its never that Kobe could win with other big men...as he did later on.
IMO...from 00 to 05, both players would win at least one title without each other provided they had a good supporting cast and a good 'Robin', of course.

Last edited by LakersNewEra on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
For sure, 2003-04 wizrads would not be 25-57 with 2003- Kobe.
And the next 8 years at least could be entertaining for the Wizardsand NBA.

Lebron and Kobe playing against each other in the same conference? There would've been lots of battles between them.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
Travers wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
15 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Are u kidding me? Kobe is not a freaking Robin. He is a Batman who played a 2nd fiddle to another Batman.
That argument is lame btw. Shaq had NVE and Eddie Jones, didnt win.

Not taking anything from Shaq, he would still win without Kobe but Kobe would also win without Shaq, not even taking into account that he did win without Shaq...
Im talking about the time period of the early 00's...just like Kobe and Pau won a few yeaes later, they would also win in the early 00's..

Never understood why the argument in these scenarios is always that Shaq could win with other swingmen but its never that Kobe could win with other big men...as he did later on.

The poster you decided to respond to is just trolling to get a rise out of people....using worn out cliches to get a rise out of longtime Laker fans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: