Kobe's Shooting %
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vandal08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Kobe's Shooting %

Now that it was revealed that Bryant had been nursing his shoulder injury since training camp, how do all the people feel who trashed the guy as "done" because his shooting percentage was so low?

That's the one thing I wondered. Bird, even with a bad back, never lost his shooting touch, Jordan? never. Dude's just don't "forget" how to shoot. As much time as Kobe stays in the gym and shoots and makes before he allows himself to leave?? Clearly something was wrong.

So all those short jumpers and those that he back rimmed overcompensating we now know. Not to mention all the whining about him missing game winners this year.

We'll miss the dude when he's really gone. In the day and age of people sitting out for sniffles he was the last tru dawg left. I love the Lakers but they won't be as compelling without Bean. I'll watch a little bit, but until the next great Laker emerges, they won't be must see TV.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

great post. I think it was a combo of the shoulder, legs, and coming back from so much time off.

Truly a marvel. I remember when he got his finger jacked up and still kept shooting/playing with the splint
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe's Shooting %

Vandal08 wrote:
Now that it was revealed that Bryant had been nursing his shoulder injury since training camp, how do all the people feel who trashed the guy as "done" because his shooting percentage was so low?

That's the one thing I wondered. Bird, even with a bad back, never lost his shooting touch, Jordan? never. Dude's just don't "forget" how to shoot. As much time as Kobe stays in the gym and shoots and makes before he allows himself to leave?? Clearly something was wrong.

So all those short jumpers and those that he back rimmed overcompensating we now know. Not to mention all the whining about him missing game winners this year.

We'll miss the dude when he's really gone. In the day and age of people sitting out for sniffles he was the last tru dawg left. I love the Lakers but they won't be as compelling without Bean. I'll watch a little bit, but until the next great Laker emerges, they won't be must see TV.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

any perimeter players averaging more than 20ppg while shooting north of 45%FG is GREAT
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

Kobe doesn't make excuses, nor does he accept them (big boy pants rings a bell.)

As such, the contract, statistics, etc. are all up for discussion and criticism when the team and individual results are poor.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

I agree that if he had the injury it explains things.

What I didn't understand is that despite objective #s, that they were arguing the # were elite.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe's Shooting %

Vandal08 wrote:
Now that it was revealed that Bryant had been nursing his shoulder injury since training camp, how do all the people feel who trashed the guy as "done" because his shooting percentage was so low? .

Didn't most people already think his shooting performance was due to injuries and age? I'm a little puzzled why you think people's opinion on whether or not Kobe is "done" would be improved by finding out he has yet another season-ending injury.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
great post. I think it was a combo of the shoulder, legs, and coming back from so much time off.

Truly a marvel. I remember when he got his finger jacked up and still kept shooting/playing with the splint

I think rust as well. We were all wondering why his shots were always coming up short. I am sure it was legs at first but he had some decent dunks this season so he was obviously getting his legs back. His shoulder definitely affected his shot. We might see a much better kobe next season as we reload for a title run.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I thought his shooting percentage was due to his legs. Being tired late in games as well as not having the quickness to beat defenders for easier shots.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Yup. 22.3/5.6/5.7/1.3 are actually top 10 numbers. It was only his fg% that brought his game down before he eventually ran out of gas. Had he been able to shoot his usual ~45% nobody would've argued he wasn't the same Kobe anymore. Hard to imagine a partially torn rotator cuff on your shooting arm not hurting your shot.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I hope that was the case, but I don't know. We will see next year.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
Yup. 22.3/5.6/5.7/1.3 are actually top 10 numbers. It was only his fg% that brought his game down before he eventually ran out of gas. Had he been able to shoot his usual ~45% nobody would've argued he wasn't the same Kobe anymore. Hard to imagine a partially torn rotator cuff on your shooting arm not hurting your shot.

Have to agree.
Kobe told Scott weeks ago that once he "warms up" his shoulder hurt less.
Wouldn't be far fetched to think kobe partially tore his rotator cuff prior to dunking that play.
That would explain poor shooting %.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe's Shooting %

activeverb wrote:
Vandal08 wrote:
Now that it was revealed that Bryant had been nursing his shoulder injury since training camp, how do all the people feel who trashed the guy as "done" because his shooting percentage was so low? .

Didn't most people already think his shooting performance was due to injuries and age? I'm a little puzzled why you think people's opinion on whether or not Kobe is "done" would be improved by finding out he has yet another season-ending injury.

Not surprised that you are puzzled. People were assuming that the low shooting percentage was due to fatigue, not being able to handle the minutes, lost lift and age.

Those are permanent things that would not expect to improve. A torn rotator cuff is a different issue entirely.

But, as per usual, I'm sure you're still confused.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I thought his shooting percentage was due to his legs. Being tired late in games as well as not having the quickness to beat defenders for easier shots.

Exactly what most thought.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe's Shooting %

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Vandal08 wrote:

Not surprised that you are puzzled. People were assuming that the low shooting percentage was due to fatigue, not being able to handle the minutes, lost lift and age.

Those are permanent things that would not expect to improve. A torn rotator cuff is a different issue entirely.

But, as per usual, I'm sure you're still confused.

I'll overlook the last line, though whether the moderators will is up to them.

In any case, I think you're wrong. I think some people were hoping it was just fatigue, particularly Kobe supporters, since that obviously is the easiest thing to fix.

However, I think most people thought his performance was due to age and injury, namely the lingering affect of his achilles surgery. And personally, I think that was a significant factor. I think the shoulder injury was another factor. How much each of these things played into the whole is anyone's guess.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:

KBCB come on now. Wearing down of the body is natural at his age and the ability to play is as important as putting up raw numbers in a limited game set. Just enjoy whatever he can muster. I don't expect a championship from him next year but I do want him to play in as many games as he can bear.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KBCB come on now. Wearing down of the body is natural at his age and the ability to play is as important as putting up raw numbers in a limited game set. Just enjoy whatever he can muster. I don't expect a championship from him next year but I do want him to play in as many games as he can bear.

You try shooting with a sore shoulder on the same side as your dominant hand. Who knows how long he had a partial tear as he has been complaining about it since training camp.

Rotator cuff injuries happen at any age actually..as well as achilles injuries....it is not about age it is more about the demands of the game. Plenty of younger guys suffer season ending injuries early in their careers.

Stop with the misininformation this is not bspn.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You try shooting with a sore shoulder on the same side as your dominant hand. Who knows how long he had a partial tear as he has been complaining about it since training camp.

Rotator cuff injuries happen at any age actually..as well as achilles injuries....it is not about age it is more about the demands of the game. Plenty of younger guys suffer season ending injuries early in their careers.

Stop with the misininformation this is not bspn.

Misinformation? Like the Cavs trade for Kobe?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject:

To quote Kobe.. "I averaged 40 a month on a torn labrum."

So no, this recent revelation doesn't explain away his poor shooting. I mean he was enjoying a buffet of all you can take bad shots earlier in the year. The difference when he played on a torn labrum versus this is about a decade. In other words, he's old.

I do expect him to shoot much better next year simply because he'll learn from this. That at his age, he can't keep taking difficult shots. He'll be more selective and he'll be conscious of the fact that he shot 37%, so all that and good health will contribute to a more efficient Kobe next year.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:

I still do think that. I never saw him favoring the shoulder and have no idea if it was holding him back prior to the injury last week. If the rotator cuff was hampering his mechanics so badly that he was suddenly 10% worse, you would have visibly spotted that right? Even with a healthy shoulder next year, he won't have the endurance and explosiveness he once had so a dropoff from his prime performance is to be expected. At some point we just have to realize that age and mileage affects all of us.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:

So why the heck was he shooting nearly 30 shots a game if he had a hurt shoulder?
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
To quote Kobe.. "I averaged 40 a month on a torn labrum."

So no, this recent revelation doesn't explain away his poor shooting. I mean he was enjoying a buffet of all you can take bad shots earlier in the year. The difference when he played on a torn labrum versus this is about a decade. In other words, he's old.

I do expect him to shoot much better next year simply because he'll learn from this. That at his age, he can't keep taking difficult shots. He'll be more selective and he'll be conscious of the fact that he shot 37%, so all that and good health will contribute to a more efficient Kobe next year.

I agree. In his Kobe Johnson games, he took good shots and his percentages were good.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I thought something other than tired legs and post-leg injury troubles had to be affecting his shooting. I am sure the shoulder had to be having an impact
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe's Shooting %

Vandal08 wrote:

No different. He was just "done" for an additional reason we didn't know about.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the injury nullifies the "done" issue, I think it strengthens it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: