Full Circle: Kobe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Why do I hear "The End" playing in the background when I read this thread?

Soundtrack is Boyz II Men's "End of the Road..."

Are you sure it's not "It's Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" ?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Ahh, fried circuits. You are absolutely right...that's what I meant.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Both send the nostalgia meter soaring. But Hard to Say Goodbye fits better without the creepy romance lyrics
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Both send the nostalgia meter soaring. But Hard to Say Goodbye fits better without the creepy romance lyrics

I'm Kobe's age so Boyz II Men, coupled with the Philly ties..brings this full circle.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Kobe needs to take two to the chops from Chris Childs to make this come full circle. Oh how I miss young Kobe, but even more I miss younger me.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I went to that game against Cleveland where he and Lebron just seemed to be having fun and actually kind of bonding. Definitely savored Kobe's performance, considering that's probably the last time I'll see them play against each other live.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject:

Hmmm.... lucky me. I have been a fan of him for a long time.
NBA will be different without him.
When MJ retired, Kobe has been providing the vacum.
For me, there will be no more MJ, Kobe, Magic, Shaq and Kareem.
They are true once in your lifetime UNIQUE players.

There. You think I hate MJ and Shaq or even Magic as I have always been defending Kobe when compared to to these three players as far as GOAT and alpha male arguments. Or mostly Kobe vs MJ.

What I can say to myself: I am grateful to have been able to watch the prime years of MJ, Shaq and Kobe and the past three years of Magic and Kareem eventhough I switched to watching Kobe and Lakers after that bulsheet management tore apart the partnership with Phil and MJ.

I followed Phil and accidentally Kobe and Lakers. But man ... IMO I have been presented with a better if not an equal of MJ. It's been enjoyable.

I will miss Kobe when he finally hangs his shoes. But hes has filled me with the thirst of of MJ's greatness and more.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

Great post. That's exactly my feelings.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
Hmmm.... lucky me. I have been a fan of him for a long time.
NBA will be different without him.
When MJ retired, Kobe has been providing the vacum.
For me, there will be no more MJ, Kobe, Magic, Shaq and Kareem.
They are true once in your lifetime UNIQUE players.

There. You think I hate MJ and Shaq or even Magic as I have always been defending Kobe when compared to to these three players as far as GOAT and alpha male arguments. Or mostly Kobe vs MJ.

What I can say to myself: I am grateful to have been able to watch the prime years of MJ, Shaq and Kobe and the past three years of Magic and Kareem eventhough I switched to watching Kobe and Lakers after that bulsheet management tore apart the partnership with Phil and MJ.

I followed Phil and accidentally Kobe and Lakers. But man ... IMO I have been presented with a better if not an equal of MJ. It's been enjoyable.

I will miss Kobe when he finally hangs his shoes. But hes has filled me with the thirst of of MJ's greatness and more.

Agree. I don't see the next-Kobe type of player out there, someone who has the talent but also has a relentless work ethic and competitor's spirit. The NBA will definitely be a different place without him. LBJ is a great player but I don't see him in the same level as Kobe, though LBJ is close to my top 10 all-time (begrudgingly).

Watching him shoot left handed and sensing the end of his tenure made me realize how much of a void he will leave when he's gone.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Full Circle: Kobe

yinoma2001 wrote:
First, I have nothing but deep gratitude and respect for all Kobe has done for the franchise. He's a top 10 all-time in my book (and that's the only list I care about). I appreciate everything he's done, even during the Smush era when his gameplay was the stuff of legends.

Second, the end is near. I think he comes back next year but it's not going to be the Kobe we are accustomed to.

Third, I still stand by my criticisms of Kobe's extension. It made business sense but from a basketball standpoint was a terrible decision. I do think Kobe would have returned to the Lakers on a smaller contract, but it is what it is.

It's time to come together as Lakers fans for Kobe. The circle is closing. Time to bury the hatchet from the various beef that fellow Lakers fans have created over Kobe over the years. Since he's gotten hurt this year, I've had a much more positive affinity for Kobe. I sense that greatness is about to pass by.

I hope we can all come together as Lakers fans for Kobe. We watched him from his maiden voyage and he is about to take his final one. Time to cheer him on next year, don't worry about the salary cap implications of his contract, how this affects rebuilds, etc., and just enjoy him.

Time to appreciate him before he's no longer there to do so.

I don't care if he plays full season or 30 games at 15 minutes each, I want to see a farewell tour, standing ovations at arenas around the league, and I want to see him walk away on his own two feet, ready for the next chapter.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Full Circle: Kobe

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
First, I have nothing but deep gratitude and respect for all Kobe has done for the franchise. He's a top 10 all-time in my book (and that's the only list I care about). I appreciate everything he's done, even during the Smush era when his gameplay was the stuff of legends.

Second, the end is near. I think he comes back next year but it's not going to be the Kobe we are accustomed to.

Third, I still stand by my criticisms of Kobe's extension. It made business sense but from a basketball standpoint was a terrible decision. I do think Kobe would have returned to the Lakers on a smaller contract, but it is what it is.

It's time to come together as Lakers fans for Kobe. The circle is closing. Time to bury the hatchet from the various beef that fellow Lakers fans have created over Kobe over the years. Since he's gotten hurt this year, I've had a much more positive affinity for Kobe. I sense that greatness is about to pass by.

I hope we can all come together as Lakers fans for Kobe. We watched him from his maiden voyage and he is about to take his final one. Time to cheer him on next year, don't worry about the salary cap implications of his contract, how this affects rebuilds, etc., and just enjoy him.

I don't care if he plays full season or 30 games at 15 minutes each, I want to see a farewell tour, standing ovations at arenas around the league, and I want to see him walk away on his own two feet, ready for the next chapter.

I think he's embracing that too, or one hopes he should. Play as many games as you can, which means less MPGs. Fans across the league want to pay homage so no sense in getting pedal to the metal. My goal for Kobe is 82 games played next season. That's the only #s I care about. I'm willing to put the Lakers on a 1 year hold for him; he deserves that respect.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

I think this was pretty much the thinking of the front office as well. They knew in ruthless wins and losses terms that contract put a lot of delay into their rebuild, but as their father knew well, sometimes thank you is more important. Hence the full court melo pitch. Give Kobe a fun sendoff rather than a straight decision for the post Kobe future.

Speaking of full circle, it has been both sad and joyful to watch Kobe embrace the game anew, not as a winner, but as someone coming to appreciate and live what he has on a human level. Seeing him open up a bit and share the more personal and kinder side of himself has been heartwarming for me. I hope for a healthy year next year and a great ride if recollection for him. Savor the arenas, the fans, joke with fellow players, pass on some wisdom to the youngsters. And then, do what feels right.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Full Circle: Kobe

yinoma2001 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think he's embracing that too, or one hopes he should. Play as many games as you can, which means less MPGs. Fans across the league want to pay homage so no sense in getting pedal to the metal. My goal for Kobe is 82 games played next season. That's the only #s I care about. I'm willing to put the Lakers on a 1 year hold for him; he deserves that respect.

Would be great to see Kobe play all 82 with limited minutes. Give fans everywhere one last opportunity to see greatness personified and wish him a fond farewell.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Circle: Kobe

Lakers#1Team wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Would be great to see Kobe play all 82 with limited minutes. Give fans everywhere one last opportunity to see greatness personified and wish him a fond farewell.

Yes. Or at the very least, each team in the league if he is limited. (Sometime we play teams multiple times at their home stadiums, i.e. in-division).
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Almost put a tear in my eyes to know and accept it's over
<<started watching NBA again because we profiled Adidas Kobe contract in a marketing class at u of o.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject:

All I want now is for Kobe to be healthy enough for a farewell tour next season, one he richly deserves. He and the Lakers have fans in every city, and both he and they should get the chance to appreciate Kobe at least one more time. Anything else we get from Kobe now is just pure bonus.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

That was The End that came to my mind. #IAmOld

Anyway, cheers Kobe! Lakers Legend!
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Exact reason I didnt mind the contract at all.
kobe525z
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egY8rUpxqcE
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm another who pretty much grew up with Kobe (I was 13 when we traded for him). I didn't realize that he was an all-time great in the making until around the 2000-01 season, but I've tried to savor every moment of his career and evolution.

It's been one thing to watch the progression of his game and career, but it's also been great to watch him develop and progress as a man. Going from the (seemingly) clean cut, unassuming kid who automatically assumed everyone would love him once he became a great player, to watching his ego take brutal hits and him wishing people would realize he was a good guy, there were times between 2003 and 2007 when I thought I was the only Laker fan who still defended and understood him. I also admit that I thought he would never win another title and that his legacy would be that of a complicated, tortured tragic hero who would never get what he was working so hard to get because for some reason his karma seemed all messed up.

Then we got Gasol, and suddenly it was on. I got to experience the rivalry with the Celtics, and when we beat them in Game 7, his legacy and destiny was fulfilled. Since then I've loved his I don't give a bleep attitude. Since then I've felt I could die a happy Laker fan. Beating Boston in Game 7 was like the clichéd happy ending to the movie for me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I'm another who pretty much grew up with Kobe (I was 13 when we traded for him). I didn't realize that he was an all-time great in the making until around the 2000-01 season, but I've tried to savor every moment of his career and evolution.

It's been one thing to watch the progression of his game and career, but it's also been great to watch him develop and progress as a man. Going from the (seemingly) clean cut, unassuming kid who automatically assumed everyone would love him once he became a great player, to watching his ego take brutal hits and him wishing people would realize he was a good guy, there were times between 2003 and 2007 when I thought I was the only Laker fan who still defended and understood him. I also admit that I thought he would never win another title and that his legacy would be that of a complicated, tortured tragic hero who would never get what he was working so hard to get because for some reason his karma seemed all messed up.

Then we got Gasol, and suddenly it was on. I got to experience the rivalry with the Celtics, and when we beat them in Game 7, his legacy and destiny was fulfilled. Since then I've loved his I don't give a bleep attitude. Since then I've felt I could die a happy Laker fan. Beating Boston in Game 7 was like the clichéd happy ending to the movie for me.

I have the 2010 series on Blu-Ray. Every once in a while I'll watch it to remember the good ole' days. If basketball just ended with the Lakers winning in game 7 against the Celtics I might have been just fine. The lasting image for me of Kobe (in a competitive sense, since the years after 2010 have been pretty much nothing playoff-wise) is that while struggling on a 6-24 night, he grabbed 17 rebounds, went to the FT lines. The image of Pau, Artest, Odom, Fisher all collectively getting Kobe's back, that was a thing of beauty.

Seeing the faces of the Celtics as they left our court as losers...priceless.
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

That is so fitting

We'll miss you Kobe!

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
EmoDias
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject:

Fudge yall! Kobe is not done! Yes he's a little melodramatic but he will come back and make all you haters eat lots of crow. If Nash can milk, than Kobe can too. Contract year!!!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject:

EmoDias wrote:
Fudge yall! Kobe is not done! Yes he's a little melodramatic but he will come back and make all you haters eat lots of crow. If Nash can milk, than Kobe can too. Contract year!!!

No one in this thread deserves fudge.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: