Kevin Ding Commentary: Lakers could trade top 5 pick and Randle
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Kevin Ding Commentary: Lakers could trade top 5 pick and Randle

Quote:
Even if top unrestricted free agents such as Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, DeAndre Jordan, Greg Monroe and Rajon Rondo (or restricted free agents Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler and Draymond Green) don't want to come to the Lakers or switch teams at all this summer, the Lakers do plan on upgrading the roster in some meaningful way. It is imperative to show some roster progress next season to set the table to sell Kevin Durant and others in 2016.

Quote:
As much as fans are focused on the Lakers losing enough to keep a top-five 2015 draft pick that otherwise would have to be conveyed to Phoenix from the Steve Nash trade, the reality remains that the Lakers aren't about waiting for a bunch of kids to grow up.

So, yes, keeping the pick is a big deal—but it very well might be more important as a trade asset than for some raw talent who almost surely will be just finishing his freshman year in college. The Lakers also likely will get Houston's 2015 first-round pick from the Lin salary dump, but it won't be any higher than 15th.

Whereas Boston can't expect a free-agent bonanza and is hoarding draft picks as its primary means of rebuilding via youth or eventual trade, the Lakers see this draft stuff as supplementary.

Quote:
Jim Buss doesn't have time to wait for Julius Randle to get healthy and steadily evolve into someone who can lead the Lakers. That makes Randle either a supporting player to help incoming free agents—or a promising prospect, one the Lakers truly believe, to be flipped in a trade for greater immediate potential.

LINK
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

I can understand trading say a #4 or 5 pick, but I'll be damned if we do so with a top 3 pick to get a near-30 year old player.

I hope they don't give up on Randle already. We need some home grown talent on this team.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

Top 5 pick and Randle for Anthony Davis.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:

Pretty much. I figure they'd offer that package to Durant, which is self-defeating, since the team he's joining would be stripped. Same with Westbrook (but that's also self-defeating as Durant probably leaves OKC).
Janggoon8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:

Pipe dream...wave that magic wand, Mitch.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

I agree, if its a top 3 pick, i think its crazy to trade it for anyone older than 24 and hasn't already shown he will be better now and going forward than anything they see in the draft. Then again, why would another team give up such a player? This is a risky move and since we've lost on our recent gambles, i'd be very cautious of going this route.

I hope the Lakers have a very solid plan going into the next 2 seasons
purple.23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject:

Assets. If you want to win now, trade is the way.
Star Player
Star Player

dmorans1 wrote:

I'd pull that trigger so freaking fast, Jesus.

what a dream
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

At 4-5 it's defensible, but attaching Randle to that package is ridiculous. It's cap space and a #4 or 5 pick. That should be it.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Kevin Ding Commentary: Lakers could trade top 5 pick and Randle

32 wrote:
Quote:
Even if top unrestricted free agents such as Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, DeAndre Jordan, Greg Monroe and Rajon Rondo (or restricted free agents Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler and Draymond Green) don't want to come to the Lakers or switch teams at all this summer, the Lakers do plan on upgrading the roster in some meaningful way. It is imperative to show some roster progress next season to set the table to sell Kevin Durant and others in 2016.

Quote:
As much as fans are focused on the Lakers losing enough to keep a top-five 2015 draft pick that otherwise would have to be conveyed to Phoenix from the Steve Nash trade, the reality remains that the Lakers aren't about waiting for a bunch of kids to grow up.

So, yes, keeping the pick is a big deal—but it very well might be more important as a trade asset than for some raw talent who almost surely will be just finishing his freshman year in college. The Lakers also likely will get Houston's 2015 first-round pick from the Lin salary dump, but it won't be any higher than 15th.

Whereas Boston can't expect a free-agent bonanza and is hoarding draft picks as its primary means of rebuilding via youth or eventual trade, the Lakers see this draft stuff as supplementary.

Quote:
Jim Buss doesn't have time to wait for Julius Randle to get healthy and steadily evolve into someone who can lead the Lakers. That makes Randle either a supporting player to help incoming free agents—or a promising prospect, one the Lakers truly believe, to be flipped in a trade for greater immediate potential.

LINK

LOL, the Lakers are not going to do this, period. The Lakers could potentially land Jahlil Okafor, and put him in tandem with Julius Randle, which could evolve into one of the best C/PF combinations in the league. Why would they be inclined to trade those pieces, which could be a dominating force for at least a decade? Please stop insulting everyone's intelligence with such nonsensical options. I haven't even mentioned that the Lakers will most likely have a sizeable amount of cap space to utilize next year, and going into a season with young talent along with a superstar or two, & A HEALTHY KOBE BRYANT should be the front offices' ultimate plan for the immediate and near future success of this franchise.

Last edited by CaliRyderX on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

WTF is Ding talking about? "Reality remains that the Lakers aren't about waiting for a bunch of kids to grow up." 2 is a "bunch"?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

This is the nightmare scenario.

I was just posting about this in the FA thread the other day

Don't do it Mitch!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

Thankfully the Lakers FO isn't as dumb as Ding.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject:

Who could you actually trade for? Thunder aren't really doing too hot with just Westbrook and Durant alone, should have kept that core of Westbrook,Durant, Harden. I blame Presti and his cheap ass bosses. Now they can barely make the playoffs right now. I want to keep the freaking pick and get a chance at a good-great center and build from there
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

We should keep the pick and Randle and build our team through the draft like the Spurs have (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Leonard, etc.) or like the Showtime teams of the 80s did (Magic, Worthy, Scott,etc.)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

With this mindset we would have traded that Kobe kid for Kerry Kittles
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

In a season that's one of the worst in Lakers franchise history, we wouldn't throw in Randle in the Rondo deal whom we are reportedly really high on; in other words, Kevin Ding's analysis is way, way off...
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

Are you (bleep) kidding me?

I bet Buss told Ding to write this after being slammed by Ramona and Ireland.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

Seriously AD might be the only guy I would trade that package for. Everyone else is just old, soon to be FA, or a PG who I think are a dime a dozen.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

Trading Okafor + Randle is a bad mistake unless the return is AD. Boy the Lakers would be dumb to rush through building a contender.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I can understand trading say a #4 or 5 pick, but I'll be damned if we do so with a top 3 pick to get a near-30 year old player.

I hope they don't give up on Randle already. We need some home grown talent on this team.

Winning should be more important then home grown talent.

I care less if its home grown or traded talent
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject:

Geez Lakers....may be a good time to follow the school of thought of George Codtanza and just do the opposite everytime u get any kind of idea.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Winning should be more important then home grown talent.

I care less if its home grown or traded talent

Lakers in the past 30 years during its championship runs always had a core home grown talent. Magic, worthy, kobe. It is important because especislly in this CBA you need financial flexibility as opposed to just trying to grab max players. Unless you have at least a lebron, Durant or ADavis in place you won't win a ring in the next 5 years just by buying max mercanries.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

Its funny how too pick is assumed as Okafor
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

We traded Divac for Kobe at the draft...

This is a typical Ding statement... it's devoid of anything interesting. If we could get Lebron or Durant for Rand and the pick, we'd do it. It's in the "sky is blue" category.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10
Jump to: