Kevin Ding Commentary: Lakers could trade top 5 pick and Randle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Wiggins is a better prospect for Randle IMO and I'm very high on Randle.

Any of the top 6 guys this year are far better prospects than Levine so that is an easy no.

Obviously it's impossible to predict where we finish but I'm very high on Okafor and Russell. IMO those 2 are going to end up the best of the draft. Okafor is my #1 and Russell #2 but no matter who we get, I'm not trading both unless it can get AD or it can lead to a championship ready team net year.

Yeah I dont know how anyone could prefer Randle instead of Wiggins. Wiggins is a perfect 2 in the NBA and could even slide over to the 3. I think his floor is that of Harrison Barnes. And his ceiling is a superstar player.

But with Julius Randle - he's still an undersized 4 with short arms. He's a tweener. Maybe he can be a feisty rebounder - give you something like what Kenneth Faried does but with some more offensive moves. But overall, I think his ceiling is limited and his floor is pretty bad.

Some of these undersized 4s end up stinking in the NBA. I'm thinking Anthony Bennett being a prime example.

I'm not that sold on Russell. I've seen Ohio State play quite a bit and watched that kid in high school. He's a natural scorer that has score first mentality- not a PG. He has the athleticism of a Michael Carter Williams - meaning not very athletic. So, a guy with a scorer's first game but not much strength or athleticism - i think he can put up numbers in college but I question his transition to the NBA.
Mudiay is a Russell Westbrook clone. I'll take my chances developing a guy like that rather than Russell.

I agree on this. I wacthed a few games and videos and I cant help but think wow hes a supercharged version of LGs fav KENDALL MARSHALL.

I also like Mudiay, but Marshall is far from a scorer which is how you described Russell. Athletically, he' somewhere close to Steph Curry and even if MCW is the comparison, he was ROY and plays good basketball, even if inefficient.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
misterrunon wrote:
55 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I wouldn't even move Randle for Lebron at this point,

You wouldn't trade a rookie with a broken leg who hasn't proven anything for the best player in the game? You must really like this kid.

he's probably thinking that he doesn't want to start a rebuild with a 30 year old lebron and a 36 year old kobe.

i'm not sure if i'd want lebron as a starting piece for a rebuild either. if he were 26, it would be a no brainer to take lebron though.

Yep, thats what I'm thinking.
Lebron's best years are here or are behind him. When you consider that he is going to be in his mid 30's in only a couple of seasons that isn't a very large window to play with.

Wait, you're saying you wouldn't because he's on the downswing, but I thought it was because it's not an option. Why exactly are you bouncing around on this?
And by the way, he turned 30 a month ago, so in 2 seasons he's not in his mid 30's, but rather early 30's.

BTW, Lebron's basketball miles are pretty high as well....
He's been in the league for what 12 years now.
Even in his rookie year, he played 79 games, as a starter.
Don't let his chronological age fool you.
He is going to break down sooner than you think.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject:

I don't think there is much to see here. I'm sure the FO is open to dealing the pick and/or Randle if the right deal were there, but its so rare and more unlikely they get fair value for Randle. Its too early in the process to panic over LA swapping higher potential for proven but limited talent. They could sell everything for a superstar, but is that really news?
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject:

Randle, Top 5 pick, HOU pick, our 2nd, LAC 2nd, Kelly, Clarkson, and Black for Anthony Davis. Seriously would they still say no?
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
Randle, Top 5 pick, HOU pick, our 2nd, LAC 2nd, Kelly, Clarkson, and Black for Anthony Davis. Seriously would they still say no?

Lol
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject:

What's the pulse on AD in New Orleans? Does he like it there? Isn't he a FA with Durant in 16? Couldn't he walk too?
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
What's the pulse on AD in New Orleans? Does he like it there? Isn't he a FA with Durant in 16? Couldn't he walk too?

Restricted in 2016 so no chance Pelicans let him walk. He'll probably get an extension beforehand. Not sure how much he likes it there though.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Restricted in 2016 so no chance Pelicans let him walk. He'll probably get an extension beforehand. Not sure how much he likes it there though.

He will more than likely take the money. Gosh i hate this CBA the players just dont realize how much they got hosed. AD could really become somthing in a market like L.A not saying he couldnt win in Nola but still the chances are slim.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
He will more than likely take the money. Gosh i hate this CBA the players just dont realize how much they got hosed. AD could really become somthing in a market like L.A not saying he couldnt win in Nola but still the chances are slim.
Since the Benson family is having some internal strife causing uncertainty and a high focus on not spending money, there might be a slight opportunity. The thing is that one of the few strengths the Lakers have is at PF, hence Davis and Black will be going to Nola plus other pieces/draft choices/money - though it would still be a good deal a
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject:

Correct me if iam worng but the player can refuse the offer as a RFA and wait till actual FA period right?
png
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject:

It's Kevin Ding. He's about as right, as Ric Bucher.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject:

AD is on a HOF trajectory. As much as I love Randle and coupled with a top 5 pick, that's a great duo, I'm not sure why there's any hesitation for AD.

It's super pipe, but if we got AD, you'd still have him on a rookie deal and could add other pieces via free agency.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AD is on a HOF trajectory. As much as I love Randle and coupled with a top 5 pick, that's a great duo, I'm not sure why there's any hesitation for AD.

It's super pipe, but if we got AD, you'd still have him on a rookie deal and could add other pieces via free agency.

And this would go down as the second dumbest trade in NBA history. Divac to Charlotte for the 13th pick would be #1.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And this would go down as the second dumbest trade in NBA history. Divac to Charlotte for the 13th pick would be #1.

I'll take AD over Randle/Top 5 pick all day.

Randle will be a really good player, but unlikely a HOF level player. Depending on the top 5 pick, not as sure of a HOF trajectory as AD.

Remember, AD is still on his rookie deal, so you can go shopping for free agents AND recruit players as someone like Durant would love to play for AD.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
With this mindset we would have traded that Kobe kid for Kerry Kittles

Laker management is awful. At this point laker management would be on the other side of the Kobe vlade trade. They are so shallow and uncreative it's pathetic. Only good thing that can happen is that some how some way they are forced to sell. And that won't be for a very long time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Laker management is awful. At this point laker management would be on the other side of the Kobe vlade trade. They are so shallow and uncreative it's pathetic. Only good thing that can happen is that some how some way they are forced to sell. And that won't be for a very long time.

I hope the only player on the list to make that ridiculous trade is Anthony Davis. Any other player, including Durant (due to impending free agency), I agree with you.

If no Anthony Davis, keep Randle, maybe see if anyone interested if we get picks 4-5, but 1-3 I'd keep (for me, that's any one of Okafor, Towns, Russell).
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Randle will be a really good player, but unlikely a HOF level player. Depending on the top 5 pick, not as sure of a HOF trajectory as AD.

Remember, AD is still on his rookie deal, so you can go shopping for free agents AND recruit players as someone like Durant would love to play for AD.

I meant for New Orleans. If I'm LA I do that deal in a second.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I meant for New Orleans. If I'm LA I do that deal in a second.

I doubt it happens to. But say Lakers had Towns, and could offer Towns/Randle for Davis, Pelicans would have to think long and hard about that one. Sure, they could extend Davis on his first rookie max contract, but what other pieces can trump a Towns/Randle frontcourt in a market that has a hard time attracting top notch talent?

Again, the chances of happening is like 1%. But you never know.

And if we are "stuck" with Randle/Towns, I'm a happy camper too.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:

Imagine getting AD, recruiting Marc, and then in 2016 sign Durant.
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject:

I don't understand what's wrong with building through the draft. Look at the top teams in the West in GS & Portland. Their core guys have come up through the draft and went through rough times getting here, but here they are (Steph, LMA, Lillard, Klay). Going in their primes and looking pretty damn good. Even in the East teams like Toronto and Washington have core guys that were drafted and are supplemented by a supporting cast through FA's and trades (Wall, Beal, DeRozan, Valanciunas, etc.). It feels like that's the direction the league is going through now.

Throwing away #5 (maybe even higher) and Randle is just insane. I wouldn't mind for a couple more years of a youth movement if it means dominance for many years to come.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject:

gill2k wrote:
I don't understand what's wrong with building through the draft. Look at the top teams in the West in GS & Portland. Their core guys have come up through the draft and went through rough times getting here, but here they are (Steph, LMA, Lillard, Klay). Going in their primes and looking pretty damn good. Even in the East teams like Toronto and Washington have core guys that were drafted and are supplemented by a supporting cast through FA's and trades (Wall, Beal, DeRozan, Valanciunas, etc.). It feels like that's the direction the league is going through now.

Throwing away #5 (maybe even higher) and Randle is just insane. I wouldn't mind for a couple more years of a youth movement if it means dominance for many years to come.

Only for AD.

And only picks 4-5 would I be interested in trading by itself (with cap space and keeping Randle).
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
Correct me if iam worng but the player can refuse the offer as a RFA and wait till actual FA period right?
they can take the qualifying offer for one year and become unrestricted the year after. But a young guy who haven't gotten paid will not leave that much money on the table, too many things can go wrong, you land the wrong way and you can tear your ACL, MCL or rupture an Achilles.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject:

Pelicans aren't giving up their golden ticket...for anybody.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject:

Yeah - AD is pipe I'd say, and I have a hard time picturing any other trade worth Randle plus a top 5 pick.

As for Durant, I suspect he's looking Washington's direction but we'll see.

Ding seems pretty good at putting something controversial out there and getting clicks. I don't see anything that looks like actual insight into the Laker FO though.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I hope the only player on the list to make that ridiculous trade is Anthony Davis. Any other player, including Durant (due to impending free agency), I agree with you.

If no Anthony Davis, keep Randle, maybe see if anyone interested if we get picks 4-5, but 1-3 I'd keep (for me, that's any one of Okafor, Towns, Russell).

You do know that the Lakers haven't been a good team in three years right? Expecting them to only trade a top three pick for Anthony Davis is some what shortsighted.

The Lakers would probably trade that pick for Durant, Westbrook, Wall, Cousins, and Paul George.

All are worthy too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: