Kevin Ding Commentary: Lakers could trade top 5 pick and Randle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
With this mindset we would have traded that Kobe kid for Kerry Kittles
Laker management is awful. At this point laker management would be on the other side of the Kobe vlade trade. They are so shallow and uncreative it's pathetic. Only good thing that can happen is that some how some way they are forced to sell. And that won't be for a very long time.
I hope the only player on the list to make that ridiculous trade is Anthony Davis. Any other player, including Durant (due to impending free agency), I agree with you.

If no Anthony Davis, keep Randle, maybe see if anyone interested if we get picks 4-5, but 1-3 I'd keep (for me, that's any one of Okafor, Towns, Russell).
You do know that the Lakers haven't been a good team in three years right? Expecting them to only trade a top three pick for Anthony Davis is some what shortsighted.

The Lakers would probably trade that pick for Durant, Westbrook, Wall, Cousins, and Paul George.

All are worthy too.
The last three years have seen the team suffer major injuries to their major stars that haas their bench playing the other team's starters. Mitch is slowly building a foundation (Black, Davis, Clarkson and Randle) that will attract FAs. Even if they just get a PG (Rondo/Dragic) and a first round draft choice, they will be in the playoffs
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Wiggins is a better prospect for Randle IMO and I'm very high on Randle.

Any of the top 6 guys this year are far better prospects than Levine so that is an easy no.

Obviously it's impossible to predict where we finish but I'm very high on Okafor and Russell. IMO those 2 are going to end up the best of the draft. Okafor is my #1 and Russell #2 but no matter who we get, I'm not trading both unless it can get AD or it can lead to a championship ready team net year.

Yeah I dont know how anyone could prefer Randle instead of Wiggins. Wiggins is a perfect 2 in the NBA and could even slide over to the 3. I think his floor is that of Harrison Barnes. And his ceiling is a superstar player.

But with Julius Randle - he's still an undersized 4 with short arms. He's a tweener. Maybe he can be a feisty rebounder - give you something like what Kenneth Faried does but with some more offensive moves. But overall, I think his ceiling is limited and his floor is pretty bad.

Some of these undersized 4s end up stinking in the NBA. I'm thinking Anthony Bennett being a prime example.

I'm not that sold on Russell. I've seen Ohio State play quite a bit and watched that kid in high school. He's a natural scorer that has score first mentality- not a PG. He has the athleticism of a Michael Carter Williams - meaning not very athletic. So, a guy with a scorer's first game but not much strength or athleticism - i think he can put up numbers in college but I question his transition to the NBA.

Mudiay is a Russell Westbrook clone. I'll take my chances developing a guy like that rather than Russell.

Again with the ridiculous argument that 6-9 is undersized for a PF, and the proven to be wrong argument about short arms. At least try for some sort of accuracy. Why Randle is a better prospect is because he is more aggressive than Wiggins. I watch Wiggins play and some games he is driving to the hoop with consistency (because he has no outside shot), other games he spectates. That is the difference, one is an aggressive player who will do anything to win and the other is a guy happy to fall back on his physical talents. The difference is in their heads. And Mudiay's athleticism is about 50% of Westbrook's, a poor comparison. Guys who wimp out and go overseas to mask their deficiences do not impress at all.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I wouldn't even move Randle for Lebron at this point,

You wouldn't trade a rookie with a broken leg who hasn't proven anything for the best player in the game? You must really like this kid.

Maybe he doesn't believe in make believe scenarios? I am not sure why we muck up the board with fantasy, but it seems to be popular.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
What's the pulse on AD in New Orleans? Does he like it there? Isn't he a FA with Durant in 16? Couldn't he walk too?

Restricted in 2016 so no chance Pelicans let him walk. He'll probably get an extension beforehand. Not sure how much he likes it there though.

If I were a single rich young man, that is exactly where I would want to be. Regarding the city, not the organization.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AD is on a HOF trajectory. As much as I love Randle and coupled with a top 5 pick, that's a great duo, I'm not sure why there's any hesitation for AD.

It's super pipe, but if we got AD, you'd still have him on a rookie deal and could add other pieces via free agency.

And this would go down as the second dumbest trade in NBA history. Divac to Charlotte for the 13th pick would be #1.

I would say #1 was Goodrich for the coin toss to draft Magic Johnson.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Laker management is awful. At this point laker management would be on the other side of the Kobe vlade trade. They are so shallow and uncreative it's pathetic. Only good thing that can happen is that some how some way they are forced to sell. And that won't be for a very long time.

One trick pony
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

One trick pony

The problem for the Lakers is that Jim doesn't even have that one trick.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
what the heck is Ding talking about? "Reality remains that the Lakers aren't about waiting for a bunch of kids to grow up." 2 is a "bunch"?

I agree, did Ding think that the Spurs were waiting too long for Kawhi??
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
We should keep the pick and Randle and build our team through the draft like the Spurs have (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Leonard, etc.) or like the Showtime teams of the 80s did (Magic, Worthy, Scott,etc.)

You do know that we traded for each of these draft picks right??!!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Are people aware that Anthony Davis is on pace to have the highest PER in NBA HISTORY? At the age of twenty freaking one???

The Hornets are not trading him for ANYTHING, let alone Randle and a top five. Just please stop.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Yes, Davis is the meal ticket for that franchise, I can't see them entertaining any trade idea.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, Davis is the meal ticket for that franchise, I can't see them entertaining any trade idea.

Maybe if we include Byron and Ronnie Price?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Maybe if we include Byron and Ronnie Price?

The only trade that I can come up with would be a 4 team deal with NO getting Leonard, Klay, Randle, and our lottery pick. Big time fantasy, but that is how much I value Davis.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject:

will randle recover 100% or will he be a question mark as far as health and athletic ability?
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Are people aware that Anthony Davis is on pace to have the highest PER in NBA HISTORY? At the age of twenty freaking one???

The Hornets are not trading him for ANYTHING, let alone Randle and a top five. Just please stop.

I wish people would stop looking in too deep at some arbitrary number like PER. PER does not mean anything. There is no trophy for highest PER because it does not mean squat. It is an idiotic made up formula for stat geeks.
purplehaze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AD is on a HOF trajectory. As much as I love Randle and coupled with a top 5 pick, that's a great duo, I'm not sure why there's any hesitation for AD.

It's super pipe, but if we got AD, you'd still have him on a rookie deal and could add other pieces via free agency.

And this would go down as the second dumbest trade in NBA history. Divac to Charlotte for the 13th pick would be #1.

No .....37 year old Nash for 2 first rounders was the dumbest.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

One trick pony

The problem for the Lakers is that Jim doesn't even have that one trick.

That is funny.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers are not trading randle + that pick for anyone. With a little luck in this upcoming draft we could land a couple of players that will combine with randle to be an exciting product. At this point we don't know who that may be but there are some exciting options out there between okafor, towns, Russell, Johnson, and even mudiay who most mock drafts still have as a top 5 pick even though he hasn't been playing.

After reading Dwight Howard's recents shots at the lakers I'm kind of hoping we get okafor so he can go out there and take it to dwight. Wipe that fugly smile right off his face 4x a year until his batch azz retires.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Too early to discuss. We do not even have the top 5 pick.

Let's wait till after the lottery.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:

When is the lottery?
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
laker4life wrote:

When is the lottery?

late june i think?
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
laker4life wrote:

When is the lottery?

late june i think?

It's in May. I think it's after the first round of the playoffs or something
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
I don't see the need to trade the top 5 and Randle. We will have enough cap space to lure top FA's as is, (even more the following year).

I predict Randle will contribute significantly next year. He was already developing a solid outside shot and was pretty fearless going to the rim - we need to keep him unless we get a ridiculous offer.

Agreed. I hope so. Develop the young and cheap talents. Hopefully they progress to starhood, develop institutional knowledge and stability.

Yup, Okafor, Randle, along with Dragic and perhaps Leaonard (I know he's a RFA, but maybe we can steal him from SA) and Kobe. With Clarkson off the bench. I wouldn't mind seeing that young group starting at some point next year.

an up and coming group with Kobe eventually calling it quits, I could see a superstar FA eyeing that group with a lot of interest

not even plausible. we don't have the cap money to get both dragic and kawhi in the offseason.

it would be really nice to get dragic and then KD in 2016 though.. in addition to randle and someone like towns.

Am I missing something?;
Lin's expiring; 14 mil
Nash's expiring; 10 mil
Hill's expiring w/ team option; 9 mil
That's 33 mil, that's not enough to get dragic and Leonard?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
55 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I wouldn't even move Randle for Lebron at this point,

You wouldn't trade a rookie with a broken leg who hasn't proven anything for the best player in the game? You must really like this kid.

Maybe he doesn't believe in make believe scenarios? I am not sure why we muck up the board with fantasy, but it seems to be popular.

Strange that he wouldn't believe a make believe scenario that he created.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Wiggins is a better prospect for Randle IMO and I'm very high on Randle.

Any of the top 6 guys this year are far better prospects than Levine so that is an easy no.

Obviously it's impossible to predict where we finish but I'm very high on Okafor and Russell. IMO those 2 are going to end up the best of the draft. Okafor is my #1 and Russell #2 but no matter who we get, I'm not trading both unless it can get AD or it can lead to a championship ready team net year.

Yeah I dont know how anyone could prefer Randle instead of Wiggins. Wiggins is a perfect 2 in the NBA and could even slide over to the 3. I think his floor is that of Harrison Barnes. And his ceiling is a superstar player.

But with Julius Randle - he's still an undersized 4 with short arms. He's a tweener. Maybe he can be a feisty rebounder - give you something like what Kenneth Faried does but with some more offensive moves. But overall, I think his ceiling is limited and his floor is pretty bad.

Some of these undersized 4s end up stinking in the NBA. I'm thinking Anthony Bennett being a prime example.

I'm not that sold on Russell. I've seen Ohio State play quite a bit and watched that kid in high school. He's a natural scorer that has score first mentality- not a PG. He has the athleticism of a Michael Carter Williams - meaning not very athletic. So, a guy with a scorer's first game but not much strength or athleticism - i think he can put up numbers in college but I question his transition to the NBA.

Mudiay is a Russell Westbrook clone. I'll take my chances developing a guy like that rather than Russell.

Again with the ridiculous argument that 6-9 is undersized for a PF, and the proven to be wrong argument about short arms. At least try for some sort of accuracy. Why Randle is a better prospect is because he is more aggressive than Wiggins. I watch Wiggins play and some games he is driving to the hoop with consistency (because he has no outside shot), other games he spectates. That is the difference, one is an aggressive player who will do anything to win and the other is a guy happy to fall back on his physical talents. The difference is in their heads. And Mudiay's athleticism is about 50% of Westbrook's, a poor comparison. Guys who wimp out and go overseas to mask their deficiences do not impress at all.

Randle is 6'9" in shoes, weighs 250 and has a 7-foot wing span, according to draft express. The only "short arms" argument is he has a standing reach of 8-9 1/2, which is a little small. In terms of size, wingspan and reach he's pretty comparable to Kevin Love.

The question marks around Randle are: poor jump shooting; inability to use his right hand; tendency to turn his head and lose his man on defense; and sometimes get tunnel vision on offense.

A lot of these things are poor habits learned over time. So the questions are whether he can learn better habits and how long that might take,

Because a lot of the issues are subtle, people were wildly divergent about how NBA ready Randle was. Some people saw his high motor, strength and rebounding and said he could start from day one. Others said the higher level of play in the NBA would make his shortcomings glaringly apparent in a way that the college level did not.

We didn't get much of a chance to see Randle against NBA-level opponents when it mattered, so the jury is still out whether the supporters or detractors are right, or whether the reality will fall somewhere in the middle.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: