Lakers Should Waive Boozer (Let Him Join A Playoff Team)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers waive Boozer and let him join a playoff team?
Yes.
84%
 84%  [ 61 ]
No.
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 72

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Lakers Should Waive Boozer (Let Him Join A Playoff Team)

At the time, given our 2014 free agency failures, Boozer at $3m from an amnesty bid wasn't a bad move. He was going to be Randle's big brother, and help him navigate through the NBA in his rookie year. While he's no longer the 20/10 All-Star, he's been well worth the $3m.

Seems the FO has finally waved the white flag on this season. Since it appears that Boozer cannot be traded due to his amnesty status (which has been confirmed by local Laker writers like Eric Pincus and Mike Bresnahan), the only way out is via buy-out/waiver.

I think it's a classy move to not keep Boozer here in purgatory with the lottery-bound Lakers. Thank him for his efforts and let him join a playoff team. I have a hard time seeing Boozer coming back and playing under Scott (who demoted him) and a possible non-playoff team.

Do the classy move, enhance the Tank, and let guys like Kelly/Black (and if Davis is still here) get more playing time. I don't see any reason why the Lakers need to keep him.
infinite-loop
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Can we?

I thought we're the ones who got him off the waivers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject:

infinite-loop wrote:
Can we?

He was amnestied, and we put the highest bid on him. We can waive him. I doubt that the CBA would force a team to keep an amnesty bid player.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Assuming he wants to play on a contender and doesn't want an early vacation in LA why not?

Unless it costs us more money. Then I would understand ownership not going for it.

And provided he goes east. I don't want him helping any West coast teams lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Assuming he wants to play on a contender and doesn't want an early vacation in LA why not?

Unless it costs us more money. Then I would understand ownership not going for it.

And provided he goes east. I don't want him helping any West coast teams lol

They would pay him regardless. But could buy him out at his contract minus whatever he is owed plus the pro-rated vet's minimum that would be offered to him. So the Lakers pay a little, but Boozer also gives up some $ to leave the Lakers.

At this point, I could care less if he goes to the Clippers to help them or another Western team. I think it's a nice gesture that won't be forgotten. Or we could just keep him here, make him play in what will be growing meaningless games.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:

I think it's a good idea all around. It's tremendously unfair to ask Ryan Kelly to try to be an NBA 3, when we're not even sure if he's an NBA caliber 4. Give those minutes to him. Running him alongside Hill & Sacre is putting him in the position to fail.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't waive him because without Kobe and Nash we have no other veterans on the team.

I think he is valuable as a mentor as we have a lot of young bigs like Kelly, Davis, Sacre, and Black.

He has played well off the bench for us and I think we may re-sign him so Randle isn't rushed back from his injury.

He seems like a good locker room guy and has a positive attitude which is important given how tough this season has been.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
I wouldn't waive him because without Kobe and Nash we have no other veterans on the team.

I think he is valuable as a mentor as we have a lot of young bigs like Kelly, Davis, Sacre, and Black.

He has played well off the bench for us and I think we may re-sign him so Randle isn't rushed back from his injury.

He seems like a good locker room guy and has a positive attitude which is important given how tough this season has been.

Takes two to tango. Not sure he's happy (though he's being professional about it) about Scott and his benching. I think he'd rather sign a cheap deal on a contender than the Lakers, who may not be playoff bound again next year.

Now's as good of a time to part ways as any other. As GT pointed out, let's get a real feel for guys like Kelly, TBlack, EDavis, etc. It's a classy move to let him chase a ring instead of wasting 3 months on a team he's likely not going to re-sign with.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Yes, he doesn't have much years left in the league no point in making him slog thru this crappy team. Let him join a contender.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I think it's a good idea all around. It's tremendously unfair to ask Ryan Kelly to try to be an NBA 3, when we're not even sure if he's an NBA caliber 4. Give those minutes to him. Running him alongside Hill & Sacre is putting him in the position to fail.

Hopefully we can trade Hill for a SF. Then we could start Kelly at PF which is his best and natural position.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Yes, he doesn't have much years left in the league no point in making him slog thru this crappy team. Let him join a contender.

Not much "mentoring" to do here particularly when he's never been a part of such a terrible team. Just a lot of idle time and bad thoughts.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject:

i would... sign roscoe smith or glen rice jr as backup SF
Let Kelly play his more natural 4spot. Boozer is good but he prolly wants to play on a playoff team
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
Let Kelly play his more natural 4spot. Boozer is good but he prolly wants to play on a playoff team

Good ideas. Take a fresh look at young D-League prospects.

Boozer gets a chance.

Everyone is happy, minus a few hundred thousand that the Lakers eat. But that will help with some of that "basketball karma" that we need come lottery night.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject:

I think he should be waived. Boozer plays no defense and yells "And 1" after almost every shot. I don't want our young players picking up bad habits.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject:

I would let him go, the best he can do here is help us win another game or two and we sure as heck don't need that now.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
I think he should be waived. Boozer plays no defense and yells "And 1" after almost every shot. I don't want our young players picking up bad habits.

Holdat!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I think it's a negligible decision either way.

All that matters is the

If boozer was a difference maker I would think about waiving him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Should Waive Boozer (Let Him Join A Playoff Team)

yinoma2001 wrote:
At the time, given our 2014 free agency failures, Boozer at $3m from an amnesty bid wasn't a bad move. He was going to be Randle's big brother, and help him navigate through the NBA in his rookie year. While he's no longer the 20/10 All-Star, he's been well worth the $3m.

Seems the FO has finally waved the white flag on this season. Since it appears that Boozer cannot be traded due to his amnesty status (which has been confirmed by local Laker writers like Eric Pincus and Mike Bresnahan), the only way out is via buy-out/waiver.

I think it's a classy move to not keep Boozer here in purgatory with the lottery-bound Lakers. Thank him for his efforts and let him join a playoff team. I have a hard time seeing Boozer coming back and playing under Scott (who demoted him) and a possible non-playoff team.

Do the classy move, enhance the Tank, and let guys like Kelly/Black (and if Davis is still here) get more playing time. I don't see any reason why the Lakers need to keep him.

Personally I am indifferent if we cut him or not; in reality I don't see the Lakers letting Boozer walk given all our injuries. They still have to suit up a team. Boozer has spent a lot of his career on teams that didn't make the playoffs or got booted in the first round, so I doubt too many people are really concerned that he won't make the playoffs this year.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sting wrote:

Good ideas. Take a fresh look at young D-League prospects.

Boozer gets a chance.

Everyone is happy, minus a few hundred thousand that the Lakers eat. But that will help with some of that "basketball karma" that we need come lottery night.

I heartily support using roster spots/minutes on guys that can actually become something (like the Heat and Whiteside) as opposed to wasting them on vets who will be vapor trails the second the season ends.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if Mitch wants to separate a father (Boozer) from his child (Sacre).
infinite-loop
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
infinite-loop wrote:
Can we?

He was amnestied, and we put the highest bid on him. We can waive him. I doubt that the CBA would force a team to keep an amnesty bid player.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

We should let him go... actually letting everybody go might be the right thing to do.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

waive him and sign Quincy Miller to a 10 day?
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I dont think we should just in case we can pull off an amazing offseason. He might sign for a discount with us. It could hurt us for a better pick but I'm willing to roll the dice.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Sure if that is what he wants.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I don't care. He was on a championship caliber team? But whatever....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: