Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Misaeng wrote:
tonman wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
tonman wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Why don't the Lakers just waive the white flag and trade half of the roster? I don't understand what the point is... in watching players who won't be here next year... seems like a suicide move to me.

Trade to who for what? Teams have to be interested, otherwise they're not going to give us anything worthwhile. And if they're giving us crap, why would we trade just to make a trade?

if you're going to let the players walk, crap > nothing as long as the contract isn't crap.

Not really. Cap space is far superior to crap, even crap on a decent contract. If it was a productive player on a decent contract it wouldn't be crap. Why would we trade players we are going to let walk for other players we are going to let walk, assuming we even can since we'd likely be taking back multiyear contracts in return for our expirings? We are losing, and aren't going to be getting better this season most likely. We definitely can't make the playoffs at this point, barring not only an insane miracle turnaround by our team but also insane horrific injuries to all the other teams fighting for the eighth spot. Look for future pieces, yes, but don't make changes that would be lateral moves, at best just to make a move.

I didn't say take on monstrous multi-year contracts but you can be looking at players now to see if they can be part of the future. there are a lot of rookie contract players with 1-2 years left. it won't break the bank to look at those. also, what's the point with cap space if no one wants to come? what might happen is that you feel pressured to bring someone in so you give a terrible contract to a player that doesn't deserve it and now you're stuck again.

this isn't a 1-2 year rebuild and voila, we have a contender. look at Boston. it's been 2 years since letting Pierce and Garnett go and they're not even close to making the playoffs in the east (though it's the east, anything can happen). all this time, the lakers were saying it was because Kobe is injured. Nash is injured. Sorry, 25M tied up with Kobe, the rebuild doesn't start until after next season. either get started now or it's going to be a long road.

Because under the rules, we have a maximum amount to spend but we also have a minimum amount to spend. You can't take on 15 guys on 1-2 million contracts for a grand total of 30 million. It's just as bad to be under the capspace limit as it is to break the capspace limit. Someone with the specific details can probably explain better than me. The gist of it is, if you have 68 million in capspace, you can neither break it nor utilize only 30 million. You need to be somewhere close to 68 million in terms of salary for your roster. That's why Jordan Hill got 9 million for 1 year and team option for 2nd year. We needed his 9 million to fill up this year's cap space. That's also part of the reason why I think Lakers took on Jeremy's contract. 8 million to fill up the cap space, 1st round pick and 2nd round pick.

you got 25M for kobe. if the other 14 guys make 2M, you've just spent 53M.
Lostology
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Juneway wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
19 points on 46%...not bad for a second rounder.

Clarkson plays PG.

A PG that played 34 minutes with 1 assist. Any other PG plays that many minutes with that little assist?
Lostology
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Misaeng wrote:
It's such a bad time to be fan right now. You anticipate every game even though you know it's going to be (bleep). You sit through 2+ hours of crap and lament how (bleep) the team looks. Come to the forums and whine a little. Then you check the schedule to see when's the next game and you anticipate that game and hope to see the team do well. You clear your schedule to watch the game and finds that it's still bad. Then the cycle goes on and on and on and on endlessly. You wish the season would end now but if the season really does end, you end up having this huge vacuum in your life. Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!

So this is what purgatory must feel like.
Lostology
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
NY postgame guys are wondering why Melo wasn't doubled, especially when he went off in the 3Q.

Lakers will double the scrubs but leave the superstars to go 1 on 1 against Kelly
Juneway
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Lostology wrote:
Juneway wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Clarkson plays PG.

A PG that played 34 minutes with 1 assist. Any other PG plays that many minutes with that little assist?

That's exactly my point.
The kid has long way to go to learn to play PG. Maybe at the end of this season we will know whether or not he can be a good PG.
To be honest, with the team as this bad, it's really hard to evaluate players.
traxop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Lostology wrote:
Juneway wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Clarkson plays PG.

With Ed and Tarik for the pick and roll, Boozer and Hill for the pick and pop, why aren't we seeing Clarkson executing these fundamental plays. What is the point in giving Clarkson these extended minutes if the coaching staff aren't actively developing him?

It's a missed opportunity in a tanking season to truly evaluate whether he can play the pg spot in league.

Last edited by traxop on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hurrican
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Juneway wrote:
Lostology wrote:
Juneway wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Clarkson plays PG.

That's exactly my point.
The kid has long way to go to learn to play PG. Maybe at the end of this season we will know whether or not he can be a good PG.

Ya thats a valid point. You cant get many assists if your team mates are missing shots, that said it didn't look like he was running many plays to get his team mates open.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson set up a couple of open jumpers for Boozer and others that missed. Had a nice wraparound to Ed that he couldn't finish either.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

JHIll just said he felt like he pulled a hip flexor and that he's never had that particular injury before. Hmmmm...
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Juneway wrote:
Lostology wrote:
Juneway wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Clarkson plays PG.

That's exactly my point.

I'm curious as to why the insistence of turning him into a PG? He's not a PG and yet the tone here is as if he is..."a long way to go to be a good PG?"..."maybe at the end of the season"...these type of statements really makes me think you, or anyone else, will be sorely disappointed if that's what your waiting for.

He's a nice young guard that has the length and speed to do a good job on most point guards, and has enough size to defend most 2's in the league. Beyond that, just hit that j kid and work on protecting the ball, not necessarily being a "point guard" whose in charge of getting everyone else involved.

Let him be free to do his thing. He thinks too much out there already.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject:

tonman wrote:
Misaeng wrote:
tonman wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
tonman wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Why don't the Lakers just waive the white flag and trade half of the roster? I don't understand what the point is... in watching players who won't be here next year... seems like a suicide move to me.

Trade to who for what? Teams have to be interested, otherwise they're not going to give us anything worthwhile. And if they're giving us crap, why would we trade just to make a trade?

if you're going to let the players walk, crap > nothing as long as the contract isn't crap.

Not really. Cap space is far superior to crap, even crap on a decent contract. If it was a productive player on a decent contract it wouldn't be crap. Why would we trade players we are going to let walk for other players we are going to let walk, assuming we even can since we'd likely be taking back multiyear contracts in return for our expirings? We are losing, and aren't going to be getting better this season most likely. We definitely can't make the playoffs at this point, barring not only an insane miracle turnaround by our team but also insane horrific injuries to all the other teams fighting for the eighth spot. Look for future pieces, yes, but don't make changes that would be lateral moves, at best just to make a move.

I didn't say take on monstrous multi-year contracts but you can be looking at players now to see if they can be part of the future. there are a lot of rookie contract players with 1-2 years left. it won't break the bank to look at those. also, what's the point with cap space if no one wants to come? what might happen is that you feel pressured to bring someone in so you give a terrible contract to a player that doesn't deserve it and now you're stuck again.

this isn't a 1-2 year rebuild and voila, we have a contender. look at Boston. it's been 2 years since letting Pierce and Garnett go and they're not even close to making the playoffs in the east (though it's the east, anything can happen). all this time, the lakers were saying it was because Kobe is injured. Nash is injured. Sorry, 25M tied up with Kobe, the rebuild doesn't start until after next season. either get started now or it's going to be a long road.

Because under the rules, we have a maximum amount to spend but we also have a minimum amount to spend. You can't take on 15 guys on 1-2 million contracts for a grand total of 30 million. It's just as bad to be under the capspace limit as it is to break the capspace limit. Someone with the specific details can probably explain better than me. The gist of it is, if you have 68 million in capspace, you can neither break it nor utilize only 30 million. You need to be somewhere close to 68 million in terms of salary for your roster. That's why Jordan Hill got 9 million for 1 year and team option for 2nd year. We needed his 9 million to fill up this year's cap space. That's also part of the reason why I think Lakers took on Jeremy's contract. 8 million to fill up the cap space, 1st round pick and 2nd round pick.

you got 25M for kobe. if the other 14 guys make 2M, you've just spent 53M.

They are not in a dire predicament as you think they are.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm
Your estimation of $2 million for the rest of the roster is overly simplying the entire situation.
Randle is going to get about $3 million next year
Our top 5 pick is going to get about $3-4 million next year.
There will be a couple of guys making under 1 million dollars on the roster.
Yes, Kobe is still going to be the highest player on the team.
They have money to offer a free agent over the summer and build the rest of the team.
Are they going to the playoffs next year?
Highly unlikely, but they are going to be able to build a decent team with all the money coming off the books this year.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Juneway wrote:
Lostology wrote:
Juneway wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Clarkson plays PG.

That's exactly my point.

I'm curious as to why the insistence of turning him into a PG? He's not a PG and yet the tone here is as if he is..."a long way to go to be a good PG?"..."maybe at the end of the season"...these type of statements really makes me think you, or anyone else, will be sorely disappointed if that's what your waiting for.

He's a nice young guard that has the length and speed to do a good job on most point guards, and has enough size to defend most 2's in the league. Beyond that, just hit that j kid and work on protecting the ball, not necessarily being a "point guard" whose in charge of getting everyone else involved.

Seems like a tweener to me. He plays more like a SG or SF but he is built more like a PG. He currently lacks the court vision, playmaking, and outside shooting to be a good PG but he really isn't a strong enough shooter to play off the ball either.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Misaeng wrote:
It's such a bad time to be fan right now. You anticipate every game even though you know it's going to be (bleep). You sit through 2+ hours of crap and lament how (bleep) the team looks. Come to the forums and whine a little. Then you check the schedule to see when's the next game and you anticipate that game and hope to see the team do well. You clear your schedule to watch the game and finds that it's still bad. Then the cycle goes on and on and on and on endlessly. You wish the season would end now but if the season really does end, you end up having this huge vacuum in your life. Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN! This is me in a nut shell.
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Juneway wrote:
Lostology wrote:
Juneway wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Clarkson plays PG.

That's exactly my point.

Seems like a tweener to me. He plays more like a SG or SF but he is built more like a PG. He currently lacks the court vision, playmaking, and outside shooting to be a good PG but he really isn't a strong enough shooter to play off the ball either.

does not matter he is a PG or SG...he kid can ball, i am glad that Byron did not kill the fire in the kid like what he did to Lin...
Des0rbit
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Entire starters have 1 assists!?!?

what kind of stupid crap is this
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Des0rbit wrote:

BS's crap Correction is 1 assist not assists.
Juneway
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Des0rbit wrote:

Some fundamental offensive issues right there.
Anyway, BS is still testing. Just be patient I guess.
option_nerd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject:

You shouldn't blame the players anymore. It is all Byron Scott's ineptitude. He makes an average player worse. Can we send him back to the DLeague?
Quartz888
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

i though we are grooming Clarkson as a pg?
Charisma
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject:

This "Clarkson is not a PG"argument is getting old. It's not going to change.

While I agree that Clarkson is not playing like a traditional playmaking point guard (the type that I like), this is BS's team and if BS likes a team of players trying to get there own, so be it. Clarkson is scoring enough points to look good on the stat sheet and if this is what the majority of the fans like, so be it. BS and Clarkson are here next year, most others are not. There are lots of successful "point guards" in the league who shoots more than pass, and become stars/superstars. In this day and age, playing basketball "the right way" does not take you very far. Yes, I'm looking at you, Lin.
Hurrican
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Charisma wrote:
This "Clarkson is not a PG"argument is getting old. It's not going to change.

While I agree that Clarkson is not playing like a traditional playmaking point guard (the type that I like), this is BS's team and if BS likes a team of players trying to get there own, so be it. Clarkson is scoring enough points to look good on the stat sheet and if this is what the majority of the fans like, so be it. BS and Clarkson are here next year, most others are not. There are lots of successful "point guards" in the league who shoots more than pass, and become stars/superstars. In this day and age, playing basketball "the right way" does not take you very far. Yes, I'm looking at you, Lin.

Which is strange because he told Lin to do the opposite...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject:

We lost to the Knicks ??????? Oh man the lakers suck dick
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Ah damn. We lost? Hahahahaha.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject:

I just "watched" the rebroadcast (and by watch I mean, it was on. I had it on mute most of the time and I've was reading and catching up on stuff).

That was the most boring game in the history of mankind. No wonder DB skipped Thoughts and Ratings on this one. LawedT.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Juneway wrote:
Des0rbit wrote:

Some fundamental offensive issues right there.
Anyway, BS is still testing. Just be patient I guess.

Sure, only 48 games now, give him another 48 games for testing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18
Jump to: