Hassan Whiteside

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
styleripftw
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Hassan Whiteside

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-hassan-whiteside-s020315-story.html

Basically will become unrestricted free agent in 2016.

If he isn't Laker material, I don't know what is. Lakers always have the greatest big men in the game, and I've been seeing Whiteside's maturation the past month and if he keeps this up, I would LOVE for him to wear the purple and gold, especially with all the cap space we'll have.

Whiteside + Randle would be a heck of a front court. My goodness.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Another thread for this guy? These are getting old.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hassan Whiteside

styleripftw wrote:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-hassan-whiteside-s020315-story.html

If he isn't Laker material, I don't know what is. Lakers always have the greatest big men in the game, and I've been seeing Whiteside's maturation the past month and if he keeps this up, I would LOVE for him to wear the purple and gold, especially with all the cap space we'll have.

Whiteside has had an amazing 12-game tear, but there are 10 times that many games between now and when he can become a free agent. If he keeps this up, every team in the league will be falling over each other to offer him a full max contract.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hassan Whiteside

styleripftw wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I was trying to find out the max Miami could pay him in 2016. Someone on the board responded that it was more than anyone else could, which of course we now know is false.

I like having him unrestricted, and us having the cap space to compete for a young stud. He becomes a free agent bonanza for a team who gets him because his play has caught everyone off guard.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hassan Whiteside

activeverb wrote:
styleripftw wrote:

Whiteside has had an amazing 12-game tear, but there are 10 times that many games between now and when he can become a free agent. If he keeps this up, every team in the league will be falling over each other to offer him a full max contract.

And the Heat will always have the advantage.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hassan Whiteside

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
styleripftw wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I was trying to find out the max Miami could pay him in 2016. Someone on the board responded that it was more than anyone else could, which of course we now know is false.

I like having him unrestricted, and us having the cap space to compete for a young stud. He becomes a free agent bonanza for a team who gets him because his play has caught everyone off guard.

It is actually true. He can be paid 25% of the cap as a max contract by anyone, but Miami can give him larger raises and more years than anyone else. In 2016, there are real NBA stars who will be FAs, I prefer going after them.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hassan Whiteside

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
styleripftw wrote:

And the Heat will always have the advantage.

Maybe. I don't know anything about Whiteside, so I don't know if the money being equal if he would prefer the Heat over somewhere else or not.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject:

He is out of the D League, he will want the money. He will make about $1.3 mil for two seasons, so being a FA will be his first shot at big money.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Sometimes, these threads are very amusing. This kid is all pretty much locked up with Miami, you can bank on that, he's not going anywhere. He will be an All Star Center, if he keeps playing the way he is now. There's nowhere to go but up!

Over and over again the Lakers continue to sleep on prospective talent, rather it's oversees or the D-League, there scouts just aren't competent enough to make good decisions on the available talent.

He was there, right there in the D-League and everyone in the league knows that Lakers had no interior player who could hold it down. Just the type of Big the Lakers could use, someone who is a more than capable defender and doesn't cost a ton of $$$. What do we do, let him go to the Heat.

What else is new!!!

Our plan for the next 10 years is simply this...

FLEXIBILITY, FLEXIBILITY, FLEXIBILITY!!!

Get use to hearing that term fellas.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers aren't always sleeping on prospective talent.

Sometimes it's on the prospects. Gerald Green was given a shot and then a year or two later, looked legit.

But Whiteside? You can't blame ANY GM. The guy was a journeyman with no background of highlights or metrics except above average physical tools.

It took him this long just to develop. He'll flame out too.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
The Lakers aren't always sleeping on prospective talent.

Sometimes it's on the prospects. Gerald Green was given a shot and then a year or two later, looked legit.

But Whiteside? You can't blame ANY GM. The guy was a journeyman with no background of highlights or metrics except above average physical tools.

It took him this long just to develop. He'll flame out too.

Sorry, but Gerald Green is still a sore subject.

What happened with Green was a sign that the Jimmy and Mitch team was taking this team in the wrong direction in the post-Phil era. IMO, they never gave Green a shot.

They signed him and then cut him while while hanging on to two of the biggest slugs in the league, Jason Kapono and Troy Murphy.

So Green hooks on with the D-Fenders and pretty much clowns everyone guarding him. So right under Jimbo and Mitch's noses, the Nets signed Green to a 10 day contract and later extends him for the rest of the season, meanwhile Mitch was still carrying Murphy and Ebanks, two expendable non-contributors. Then we had to suffer through another Matt Barnes power outage during the playoffs, when we could have used Green's ability to stroke from the 3 point line and to fly high at the rim.

This isn't some hindsight is 20-20 commentary. There was genuine dismay here on LG while Green was generating point a minute performances with Nets that season.

IMO Whiteside is not going to flame out. When he came into the league, he had no footwork, he didn't have the body, and he had no presence on the low block. Those are issues that he apparently has worked on. He is not the same guy as before. He's better. It takes longer for centers to develop. Put it this way - Larry Bird would gladly trade Roy Hibbert for Hassan Whiteside in a heartbeat.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject:

Lin rebouned too now look he's back to being almost out of the league again.

Not saying that will happen with Whiteside but I'd rather go after bigger fish in '16 then a project. Let Mia find out if he flames out later or revert after getting a little $$.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Can we please please get this guy?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: