***OFFICIAL LAKERS 2015 NBA DRAFT THREAD*** (No. 2 Russell, No. 27 Nance, No. 34 Brown: p.1661 - Upshaw signed for SL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 714, 715, 716 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject:

44-25 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
Still have a whole month to talk about why these guys suck. I mean really, the amount of crap that comes out evaluating a player is pathetic. Questioning a players drive whom you have only seen play basketball for 5 months. Really? And is 19 years old?

That's what I don't get. I take a 19 yr old Towns/Okafor any day over

Gasol 30
Deandre 27
LaMarcus Aldridge 30
Roy Hibbert 28

What about both?
44-25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
where24happens wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
People need to understand we dont have a choice between jahlil/towns

We will pick whoever is remaining

THIS. Minnesota decides who we pick not us.

well, Minny LOVES PGs...

they missed out on Curry with Rubio and Flynn,

maybe they will try to make it up by selecting Russell or Mudiay.

Front offices that make bad decisions would open discussion to: Which teams return to bottom 5 Lottery next year
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject:

Top 5

Towns- MIN
Okafor - Lakers
Russell - 76ers
Knicks - Mudiay
Magic - Porzingis
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Top 5

Towns- MIN
Okafor - Lakers
Russell - 76ers
Knicks - Mudiay
Magic - Porzingis

I think Phil picks up winslow or 1 of the euro guys
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

Can somebody compare Monroe vs Okafor
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
44-25 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
Still have a whole month to talk about why these guys suck. I mean really, the amount of crap that comes out evaluating a player is pathetic. Questioning a players drive whom you have only seen play basketball for 5 months. Really? And is 19 years old?

Gasol 30
Deandre 27
LaMarcus Aldridge 30
Roy Hibbert 28

What about both?

I'd definitely want to gauge Aldridge's interest. Have little interest in those others though, since if we do draft a big it's more important to spend the little money we have on a SF
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
Do the Lakers have the guts to take D'Angelo Russell? Big men seem to be more boom/busts, and the game really is about guards nowadays and guys with the ball in their hands - not big days.

I dont see either Towns or Okafor being surefire great players. Neither are Anthony Davis skill wise, and athletically they are both limited. Okafor if he works reminds me of a young Tim Duncan. But Towns, I just dont know. I wasnt that impressed with him at Kentucky. Even if he turns out as good as Damarcus Cousins - i'd still rather have a great perimeter player than a Cousins.

Since 2000, these are the #1 draft picks that were centers...
2001-Kwame Brown
2002-Yao Ming
2004-Dwight Howard
2005-Andrew Bogut
2006-Greg Oden
20012-Anthony Davis

Out of those 6, 3 are out of the league, 2 are gone because of injuries, and only 1 I would build my team around right now (Anthony Davis). I don't think Okafor or Towns are as good as Davis coming out of college and both of them have way more holes in their game.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Sat May 23, 2015 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

Afrosho wrote:
where24happens wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
People need to understand we dont have a choice between jahlil/towns

We will pick whoever is remaining

THIS. Minnesota decides who we pick not us.

We can still debate on who would be better for us.

Yeah that'd be true if this was literally a 2 man draft but because Russell had the best individual season, he garners attention worthy of this discussion.

There are also a ton of possibilities (non the we know about) of trading back, for a star, etc.....
exempt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject:

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/XTbLADY9LsIjTRH5xJGPyFo7TRg=/10x0:588x325/1600x900/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/46361636/bills.fw.0.0.png

Mitch is going big man
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

Das wrote:
Shaq and Lebron are outlier not the norm. You're obviously bias also, but if you think it's ALL about the physical skill when it comes to evaluate a player (because it's a sport) then you're dead wrong.

No kidding. But the problem is that you jumped to all kinds of conclusions just by listening to them speak. How does a 19 year old kid with an already elite post game NOT have drive?

I think I'm gonna agree to disagree at this point. Or like, agree to not lose my mind over this. Cause it's crazy.

Laker7 wrote:
Mitch and Jim Buss are going to go the safe route and that route is Okafor. If they pass on Okafor, draft Russell and the Lakers struggle, they are out. There will be such an uproar from the fans and TWC that the rest of the Buss kids will kick Jimmy Boy to the curb and bring in a professional to run the basketball side of the Lakers. If that happens Mitch is gone also. I don't think Mitch and Jim will gamble on Russell unless everyone in the organizations says Russell is significantly better than Okafor and I do not see that happening.

There won't be an uproar if we choose Russell if Lakers think Russell is the better pick.

Last edited by dood23 on Sat May 23, 2015 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:
Do the Lakers have the guts to take D'Angelo Russell? Big men seem to be more boom/busts, and the game really is about guards nowadays and guys with the ball in their hands - not big days.

I dont see either Towns or Okafor being surefire great players. Neither are Anthony Davis skill wise, and athletically they are both limited. Okafor if he works reminds me of a young Tim Duncan. But Towns, I just dont know. I wasnt that impressed with him at Kentucky. Even if he turns out as good as Damarcus Cousins - i'd still rather have a great perimeter player than a Cousins.

Since 2000, these are the #1 draft picks that were centers...
2001-Kwame Brown
2002-Yao Ming
2004-Dwight Howard
2005-Andrew Bogut
2006-Greg Oden
20012-Anthony Davis

Out of those 6, 3 are out of the league, 2 are gone because of injuries, and only 1 I would build my team around right now (Anthony Davis). I don't think Okafor or Towns are as good as Davis coming out of college and both of them have way more holes in their game.

Kwame was just a horrible pick by someone with a demonstrated inability to judge talent (Jordan). He also came right out of high school, probably would've revealed his weaknesses if he played a year in college. Aside from him, the other guys were all beasts if not for injury. It's safe to say Okafor and Towns are not Kwames.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:

44-25 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Gasol 30
Deandre 27
LaMarcus Aldridge 30
Roy Hibbert 28

Neither Towns nor Okafor are better than any of those guys today, even Hibbert. I agree with Oliver Reed in that we nitpick these guys to death, but it's just as crazy to have these sorts of expectations of them as well.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

Why do people bring up patterns of prior drafts in predicting the future of prospects in the current draft? They have no bearing whatsoever.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
44-25 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Gasol 30
Deandre 27
LaMarcus Aldridge 30
Roy Hibbert 28

What about both?

Why waste max money on players who won't even start for us? But a year or two.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are on the clock in the LG Consensus Draft. Please chime in.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=173514
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
44-25 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Gasol 30
Deandre 27
LaMarcus Aldridge 30
Roy Hibbert 28

Neither Towns nor Okafor are better than any of those guys today, even Hibbert. I agree with Oliver Reed in that we nitpick these guys to death, but it's just as crazy to have these sorts of expectations of them as well.

With okafor or towns we will def need a veteran capable of playing at least 20mpg at the center spot and even starting.
44-25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
epak wrote:
44-25 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Gasol 30
Deandre 27
LaMarcus Aldridge 30
Roy Hibbert 28

What about both?

Why waste max money on players who won't even start for us? But a year or two.

That's what I see. Build the rest of the Team with Free Agency $ over the next couple of years to support youth...
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

Russell has his flaws like him not being good at taking contact and finishing. Or him not being athletic. I like Towns all around play but the only guy that I see in the top 4 that could be a first option from day 1 is Okafor.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

r41 wrote:
M2K wrote:
The Los Angeles Lakers may be on the verge of making a mammoth mistake come June. They are about to pass up the best backcourt player in college basketball for a big man with more holes in his game than swiss cheese.

D'Angelo Russell - a 6'5 PG and the only player to average 20pts, 5rbs, 5asts in the country. All while shooting 48% from the field, 41% from 3pt line with elite level floor vision both in transition and halfcourt. And, he just turned 19 in February.

Lets review Okafor's shortcomings:

- Atrocious free throw shooter
- Atrocious defense (one of the absolute worst defenders in college basketball)
- Poor shot blocking (for his height).
- Poor defensive rebounding
- Poor shooting range (compared to other big men like Towns, Kaminsky, etc)
- Lacks athleticism and quickness (recovery speed is non-existent)
- Plays "below the rim" (similar to Julius Randle)

Jahlil's strengths:

- High IQ... intelligent player
- A big man with the most polished offensive post play to come out of college in several years.

If Okafor's offense is not working on any given night, he is a liability on the court because his defense is lost. Plus, you can't have him on the floor at the end of games because of his A) poor free throws and B) inability to protect the rim. Add onto the fact that drafting Okafor would mean a front court with two "below the rim" players (Jahlil and Randle) who both bring post moves and a below average ability to stretch the floor.

Jahlil Okafor is the biggest risk of the draft because his overall game is less than mediocre.

If Minnesota screws up and drafts Okafor, the Lakers need to sprint to the podium and select Towns. If the Timberwolves select Towns (as expected), the Lakers need to give serious consideration on selecting a floor leader with sensational all around ability instead of a one-dimensional "below the rim" scorer who couldn't defend anyone (let alone anchor a defense).

There are many more quality free agent Cs than there are PGs or SFs. If the Lakers can sign a Gasol / Jordan / Hibbert / Lopez / Chandler... picking up Russell (best backcourt player in the entire draft) should become the Lakers pick.

Done trolling same thing on multiple forums?

That is not trolling. Don't do this again.
exempt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

wow
exempt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

Should be in great position to land a star after next season. Drafting a inside presence in Towns or Okafor, it would be very appealing for a KD etcc, who has never played with a real low post player
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

Okafor is basically Duncan on offense with even better footwork. Keep in mind Duncan stayed at Wake Forest all 4 years. If he has the drive and work-ethic, he will be good defensively. He has the size, wingspan, and footwork to be good.

Towns is a bigger version of Horford. He has solid touch around the basket with a basic post-game that is effective against smaller players. He has a nice shooting touch but hasn't shown it much in games yet aside from FT shooting. Versatile defensively but not the most explosive athlete.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

exempt wrote:
Should be in great position to land a star after next season. Drafting a inside presence in Towns or Okafor, it would be very appealing for a KD etcc, who has never played with a real low post player

They have Kanter fyi.
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

Looks like a Knicks propaganda piece
exempt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
exempt wrote:

They have Kanter fyi.

information I didn't need. hence the word real
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 714, 715, 716 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next
Page 715 of 1691
Jump to: