***OFFICIAL LAKERS 2015 NBA DRAFT THREAD*** (No. 2 Russell, No. 27 Nance, No. 34 Brown: p.1661 - Upshaw signed for SL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1685, 1686, 1687 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Sorry if already discussed, but doesn't anyone know the max Upshaw can be offered?

I guess theoretically up to the rookie-level max? I'm not aware of any restriction since he's an unrestricted free agent.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Yi Jianlian showed good form and outside shooting in practice, but it never translated to the game. My point is, you don't have to overstate Upshaw's offensive abilities. He's going to be a good defender if he works at it and his ceiling will be as a lob/cleanup the garbage guy. And that's totally fine.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Yi Jianlian showed good form and outside shooting in practice, but it never translated to the game. My point is, you don't have to overstate Upshaw's offensive abilities. He's going to be a good defender if he works at it and his ceiling will be as a lob/cleanup the garbage guy. And that's totally fine.

I'm not overrating offensive abilities if I have a completely different definition of determining range than you.

Also, I disagree. Jianlian has always had that midrange game. He just rarely takes it. The jumper hasn't changed, even when Emmanuel Mudiay was his point guard last season.

Honestly, I don't think any NBA player or coach respected him much. I think he's tougher and better than Bargnani. But, guess who is still in the L?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject:

mbright wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
It's the 4.5 blocks per game in under 30 minutes without the foul trouble.

Add that he has 19' range and a solid set of post skills too.

Really, lottery talent.

Mike,

How does Ups compared to Whiteside and WCS on D? Any insights?

WCS has the best discipline of the three. He can defend perimeter and bigs, force turnovers on passes and ball-handling, and swat man or team help.

Whiteside is more of a team help swatter. Think of him as a lankier DeAndre Jordan on defense in terms of shotblocking.

Upshaw adds one more dimension to things. He has the best base of the three, along with swatting skills on team help and his own man. Solid footwork if he has to defend the perimeter. But as I said before the draft, lottery talent, 10 cent head.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Usually something a player can consistently do in a scrimmage, some someblence of that is guna translate into a game. Maybe he won't shoot them off the dribble in the game, and he won't hit the spot ups right away either, but give him a half a season worth of game reps on Js and he'll start hitting them. The form is nice, and consistent even on high difficulty shots.
Shoot around < scrimmage with draft express watching < game
Give him a half season or more of game reps like Myers Leonard and Jordan Hill, guys who you never thought would be capable jumpshooters. Mozgov is decent too.

Agreed. Just because Sasha hit his shots only during practice doesn't mean his range effectively stopped inside the three point arc. It was just a lower percentage, but the range was the same.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:

About Jianlian,

Much better from midrange to 21' than most think.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jianlyi01.html

35% is average from the perimeter.
anything around 40% is good.

He's in that area, as high as 45.7%FG when that was 47% of his shot attempts during his rookie season.

AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I'm not overrating offensive abilities if I have a completely different definition of determining range than you.

I determined it off his entire body of work, shot chart, and his abysmal free throw percentage (which btw, is 4 points lower than Dwight's worst year whose form you don't like).

So yes, I'll trust all of that, and every scouting report on the guy over your eternal optimism. If he had a history of working hard and not getting kicked out of college programs, I'd have faith he could improve. I'm just a realist.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I determined it off his entire body of work, shot chart, and his abysmal free throw percentage (which btw, is 4 points lower than Dwight's worst year whose form you don't like).

So yes, I'll trust all of that, and every scouting report on the guy over your eternal optimism. If he had a history of working hard and not getting kicked out of college programs, I'd have faith he could improve. I'm just a pessimist.

Fixed
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

So yes, I'll trust all of that, and every scouting report on the guy over your eternal optimism. If he had a history of working hard and not getting kicked out of college programs, I'd have faith he could improve. I'm just a realist.

That's the difference between attributes and results. Body of work and shot chart can be directly affected by coaching. FT% is an indicator of perimeter range success, and yet, we have video comfortable hitting baseline mid-range jumpshots, not just indicating it.

LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Post-Draft Reaction: Mitch Kupchak

http://www.nba.com/lakers/150626_kupchakreaction

This is the most information-rich piece after the draft. Straight from the horse's mouth.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Why on earth did we NOT draft RJ Hunter?! His shot is so much like Curry. If he gains about 15-20 lbs of muscle in 2-3 years. He can be Klay Thompson lite.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That's the difference between attributes and results. Body of work and shot chart can be directly affected by coaching. FT% is an indicator of perimeter range success, and yet, we have video comfortable hitting baseline mid-range jumpshots, not just indicating it.

I think all of this could be solved if you said 'he has potential for 19' range' rather than saying that he had it to begin with. Because as of today, he's never so much as hit a 15-footer in a game. So it's all potential.
jdm43390
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
Why on earth did we NOT draft RJ Hunter?! His shot is so much like Curry. If he gains about 15-20 lbs of muscle in 2-3 years. He can be Klay Thompson lite.

I was excited when he kept falling in the draft. Lakers had the chance smh. Instead they drafted a player who we could've gotten in the second rd IMO.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:

I think Hunter will be a total bust. I don't like his shot release and he looks slow to me. Too slow. I see him as a volume chucker who will add very little else. I don't even think he will have a career as good as Nick Young's career.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject:

Upshaw would've been a lottery pick for sure if he didn't have the character issues. Quite simply, he's a shot-blocking freak. One of the best shot-blockers in college over the past few years. Washington was a legitimate upper-tier Pac-12 team with him. Without him, their entire team sank like a stone.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject:

Not sure if posted, but for those that say Okafor dropped his shirt on the ground at the press conference:

https://vine.co/v/eJXEQBMTxzL

He actually lays it on a table.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Not sure if posted, but for those that say Okafor dropped his shirt on the ground at the press conference:

https://vine.co/v/eJXEQBMTxzL

He actually lays it on a table.

The other guy's expression is still hilarious
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I think all of this could be solved if you said 'he has potential for 19' range' rather than saying that he had it to begin with. Because as of today, he's never so much as hit a 15-footer in a game. So it's all potential.

Why do I have to define it to your standard?

LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

I like Anthony Brown. A bigger Danny Green. If he can get some more toughness, will be a nice defender.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
I like Anthony Brown. A bigger Danny Green. If he can get some more toughness, will be a nice defender.

With work and effort Brown could become an asset.

All-in-all with Russell, Nance, Brown & also picking up Upshaw, I have to give our FO an "A!"
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:

Because we drafted the guy who Mitch thinks is the best shooter in the draft and who can play and defend two positions.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

latest workout vid on Upshaw

Man I really want him to succeed!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
crazy how i thought about login on lakersground today and posting this..this pick will be very good next year, in a team with clarkson and russell penetrating and giving you open corner shots.. to a guy who is a 42% shooter.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject:

D'angelo
Clarkson
Brown
Randle
Upshaw

I know that team wont be our starters but you can see the vision our team has.

We want to be like golden state but with alot more offense at PF... good shooters but strong strong penetrators too..put durant instead of brown..

d'angelo
clarkson
durant
brown
randle

OMFG!!!!
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
latest workout vid on Upshaw

Man I really want him to succeed!!

Nice. He's clearly a very fluid athlete. Mike mentioned that Upshaw has athleticism comparable to pre-injury Bynum. However, Upshaw definitely looks to have better body control and agility than Drew. The form on his jumper looks great. The footwork needs to improve. I saw quite a bit of shuffling on some of his post moves, but that's something that should be correctable. His jump hook looks a little odd. The shot comes out of his hands more like a floater than a jump hook, but at least they were going in.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1685, 1686, 1687 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next
Page 1686 of 1691
Jump to: