***OFFICIAL LAKERS 2015 NBA DRAFT THREAD*** (No. 2 Russell, No. 27 Nance, No. 34 Brown: p.1661 - Upshaw signed for SL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Dunn isn't being picked top 5. Stop it guys
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm not arguing that Russell will become as good an athlete as Dunn. I'm not talking about Dunn or Russell, but the concept that being an elite shooter is any less rare than being an elite athlete. You can work hard to become decent at both but "eliteness" will never be approximated through work alone.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Inverse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Inverse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Inverse wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Who is the better prospect?

DeAngelo Russell? Or Kris Dunn? Why?

I think this subject can be a lot more controversial than most think.

It really isn't. There's a reason why one of them is considered a consensus top 5 pick, and the other isn't.

Exposure

Agreed. GMs and Scouts miss all the time. Russell has shown PG court vision and awareness, but what are we afraid of?

Lack of quickness. Body.

Who has it? Dunn.

What about Dunn's passing? 50% Assist rate.

What are we afraid of with Dunn? 3pt. range.

You can add 3pt. range. You can't add quickness/size as easily.

I don't think shooting is that easy to add and it's a bit hand wavy to say that quickness and size aren't as easy to add as shooting range. For a 19 year old to bulk up would not be that difficult, and athleticism can be improved rapidly as well.

I do like Dunn though.

Totally disagree.

It's a lot easier to make someone a 40% shooter behind the arc, than to gain flat out speed/quickness/add 4" of vert.

See Trevor Ariza

See Danny Green

See Blake Griffin...the list goes on

the shooting argument for Dunn is so weak, especially since the mechanics are there unlike Marcus Smart

Not sold on his mechanics, and id be willing to bet his 3pt % his rookie year won't be better than Smart's 33.5
Smart's issue w his mechanics were over stated, and him shooting decently from 3 proves that. They have similar mechanics if anything, they both take the ball too far behind their head, Dunn doing it more egregiously. Don't like Smart's sideways setup?
Look at Kyle Lowry and Nick young - very solid shooters

Dunn is a better prospect than Smart. He has the tools and the motor to be an equal defender. And he also is explosive and has the ball handling to be a much better slasher. All star potential comes down to the jumpshot. If this were the NBA 10 years ago, Dunn would be a top 10 pick no doubt, becuase he can seriously eat with that mid range jumper. But will he have the green light on it to hunt out that shot time after time?

Russell... Adding athleticism does make u more injury prone, probably. MikeLg is right. Jabari Parker played with sooo much more torque his rookie season than in years past, and look what happend. Not a coincidence.
I still am all for Russell adding quickness , and I think he can. Big reason why he's in my top 3. Becuase without some more quickness and leaping ability at the rim, he won't be great at the next level IMO

I've seen you make that argument before. Just curious, have you heard of Kobe Bryant?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject:

How many Kobe Bryants are there?
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject:

I refuse to even pay attention to these prospects until lottery night. We might not even get the damn pick.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:

No one is saying he will be. But 5 years from now people will say he should've been.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

No one is saying he will be. But 5 years from now people will say he should've been.

Over Russell? Or do you think any of the other consensus top 5 are worse prospects than Dunn as well?
kobe209
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Inverse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Inverse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Inverse wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Who is the better prospect?

DeAngelo Russell? Or Kris Dunn? Why?

I think this subject can be a lot more controversial than most think.

It really isn't. There's a reason why one of them is considered a consensus top 5 pick, and the other isn't.

Exposure

Agreed. GMs and Scouts miss all the time. Russell has shown PG court vision and awareness, but what are we afraid of?

Lack of quickness. Body.

Who has it? Dunn.

What about Dunn's passing? 50% Assist rate.

What are we afraid of with Dunn? 3pt. range.

You can add 3pt. range. You can't add quickness/size as easily.

I don't think shooting is that easy to add and it's a bit hand wavy to say that quickness and size aren't as easy to add as shooting range. For a 19 year old to bulk up would not be that difficult, and athleticism can be improved rapidly as well.

I do like Dunn though.

Totally disagree.

It's a lot easier to make someone a 40% shooter behind the arc, than to gain flat out speed/quickness/add 4" of vert.

See Trevor Ariza

See Danny Green

See Blake Griffin...the list goes on

the shooting argument for Dunn is so weak, especially since the mechanics are there unlike Marcus Smart

Not sold on his mechanics, and id be willing to bet his 3pt % his rookie year won't be better than Smart's 33.5
Smart's issue w his mechanics were over stated, and him shooting decently from 3 proves that. They have similar mechanics if anything, they both take the ball too far behind their head, Dunn doing it more egregiously. Don't like Smart's sideways setup?
Look at Kyle Lowry and Nick young - very solid shooters

Dunn is a better prospect than Smart. He has the tools and the motor to be an equal defender. And he also is explosive and has the ball handling to be a much better slasher. All star potential comes down to the jumpshot. If this were the NBA 10 years ago, Dunn would be a top 10 pick no doubt, becuase he can seriously eat with that mid range jumper. But will he have the green light on it to hunt out that shot time after time?

Russell... Adding athleticism does make u more injury prone, probably. MikeLg is right. Jabari Parker played with sooo much more torque his rookie season than in years past, and look what happend. Not a coincidence.
I still am all for Russell adding quickness , and I think he can. Big reason why he's in my top 3. Becuase without some more quickness and leaping ability at the rim, he won't be great at the next level IMO

I've seen you make that argument before. Just curious, have you heard of Kobe Bryant?

Are you trying to say Kobe wasn't super athletic and quick? Because that is flatout false.. or are you trying to say he didnt get injured even though his athleticism was elite? Because that too is false-- he played in control unlike a Derrick rose who was full throttle

IG: wywsabaywb
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Im just saying. You're biggest argument with regards to dunn is that he pulls the ball to far behind his head. Personally I don't even think that's true. But Kobe does that, and someone who really does do that is Kevin Garnett, and he's a pretty damn good shooter if you ask me.

I just don't think that is a fair criticism. I'm not trying to call you out but others read that and believe it. Not that it matters what we think anyways. We can argue till we're blue in the face, it's not like we're making the picks.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Inverse wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Over Russell? Or do you think any of the other consensus top 5 are worse prospects than Dunn as well?

Well whats the consensus top 5? I'll give you the consensus top 4:

Okafor
Towns
Russell
Mudiay

I think after that, anyone is fair game at 5. Thats where I'd put Dunn. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if Dunn has a better career than Mudiay. Personally I'd take him before Mudiay, but I just havent seen enough Mudiay to make that decision for sure.

Also haven't taken into account any of the European guys because I haven't seen them really play. That fifth spot for me is a toss up with WCS/Winslow. And I don't see how you can't consider Dunn right up there with those 2. For all the flack Dunn gets for his health, he's not the one with the real medical issue. That would be WCS. This type of hypocrisy drives me crazy. Justice Winslow was overlooked by 98% of the people on this board. After stringing up 3 good games on the tournament, some people are saying they'd take him Second or third!! My point is just because no one is talking about Dunn right now, doesn't mean he can't play. If people watched the big east tournament the same way we're watching the NCAA, then you'll be hearing Dunn's name in the top 5 a lot more, and people wont sound crazy for saying it. He's a lottery pick. If you can't see that, then idk what else to say.

Last edited by Inverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Inverse wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Okafor
Towns
Russell
Mudiay

I think after that, anyone is fair game at 5. Thats where I'd put Dunn. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if Dunn has a better career than Mudiay. Personally I'd take him before Mudiay, but I just havent seen enough Mudiay to make that decision for sure.

When you say consensus, it's what I call consensus SAFE decisions based on what you know now. But if you can see the future, two or 3 of these guys will be regular role players in the NBA. It's very rare that all top 5 picks go on to be studs. The last time that came close was the 2003 Lebron draft. Lebron, Darko, Melo, Bosh, Wade.. Guess who doesn't belong? But that was the closest to perfection I can think of. The GM's pretty much nailed that draft, but this is a rare occasion.

So debate on folks! Truth of the matter is that you're all most likely wrong. There are always, always, always players not in your top 5 that SHOULD HAVE BEEN when looking back.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Inverse wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Inverse wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Okafor
Towns
Russell
Mudiay

When you say consensus, it's what I call consensus SAFE decisions based on what you know now. But if you can see the future, two or 3 of these guys will be regular role players in the NBA. It's very rare that all top 5 picks go on to be studs. The last time that came close was the 2003 Lebron draft. Lebron, Darko, Melo, Bosh, Wade.. Guess who doesn't belong? But that was the closest to perfection I can think of. The GM's pretty much nailed that draft, but this is a rare occasion.

So debate on folks! Truth of the matter is that you're all most likely wrong. There are always, always, always players not in your top 5 that SHOULD HAVE BEEN when looking back.

100% agree. And to me that guy is Dunn. But I've said this many times already, and I'm not trying to change anyones mind unless Jim and Mitch are reading this
cyrus_the_virus
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject:

With Beverley out for the Rockets, this pick may be going up.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Inverse wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Inverse wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Okafor
Towns
Russell
Mudiay

100% agree. And to me that guy is Dunn. But I've said this many times already, and I'm not trying to change anyones mind unless Jim and Mitch are reading this

Dunn is as good a prospect as mudiay. So, if mudiay is a top 5 pick so is Dunn
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject:

2015 scouting report! I'm sure when people start seeing this they will join the Dunn hype train.

anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
2015 scouting report! I'm sure when people start seeing this they will join the Dunn hype train.

That video is just the positives so for the sake of fairness lets put this one up too:
Dunn Weaknesses)
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

I understand Dunn can be turnover prone, doesn't have consistent 3pt range, and may have a potential issue with his shoulder at the next level.

I also think this is common of great PG rookies.

Mudiay may not have the shoulder issue and has different athletic traits, but he has the same opportunities to work on.

Both have near equal wingspan. I just prefer Dunn's shot selection out of the pick and roll and his assist rate, despite the turnovers.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Just call me ***
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

and here's Ryan Kelly.

Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject:

Do the Lakers really need that top 5 pick? Hear me out please....

If all goes well (wishful thinking) and Clarkson and Randle develop to be at least borderline stars, I figure all the Lakers need is one more star level (in his prime) player. That could be the top 5 pick or a free agent.

I think we've all seen that "too many cooks spoil the soup" situation on many NBA superteams and it seems that often, when there are too many stars they become disenchanted...not getting enough touches, asked to defer when they are used to being "the Man".

Hopefully someday, we have a star PF in Randle, a star PG/Combo Guard in Clarkson.....then with all that cap room after Kobe retires, a star SF or Center.....the rest should be role players.

The Showtime Lakers had Magic and Worthy...Capt was getting old, then they had Byron and Coop as role players.

The Shaq/Kobe Lakers had those two and a bunch of role players...Fox, Horry, Fisher, Grant, etc....

The Celtics had Bird and McHale...then they had good role players in Parish, Ainge, DJ.

76ers - Dr. J and Cheeks...Dawkins, CJones, BJones were all role players.

Trailblazers - Walton, MLucas, Hollins...I don't think any of them except Walton were really superstars.

Look at the current Cavs team, Lebron, Irving and Love...sounds like Love isn't too happy there.

The Heat - Lebron, Bosh and DWade and how many championships did they win?

Lets look at the Spurs, in their prime they had Duncan, Parker and Ginobli.

Has there ever been a championship super team with four superstar players in their prime?

Lakers - Wilt, West, Goodrich....Wilt was basically a role player...

What is really missing is a great coach!
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:

This years mock draft

http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Mock-Draft/

Last years consensus mock draft, mostly accurate and had Clarkson going in the 1st round.

http://www.myNBAdraft.com/2014-NBA-Mock-Draft
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Would you trade 28 and 34 to move up ?
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject:

I am disappointed in Russells performance against Arizona more than anyone, but I cannot and will not say Kris Dunn is a better prospect than him.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:

Of course
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:

Absolutely. Especially, if there's a guy in the low to mid 20s that the Lakers really like.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next
Page 171 of 1691
Jump to: