***OFFICIAL LAKERS 2015 NBA DRAFT THREAD*** (No. 2 Russell, No. 27 Nance, No. 34 Brown: p.1661 - Upshaw signed for SL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
pio2u wrote:
2015 NBA Draft Profile: Karl-Anthony Towns

Quote:
his 2.7 blocks a game is an impressive figure and ranks him 20th in the nation. However, as part of Kentucky’s incredibly deep roster, he averages just 20.1 minutes a game, right at half of the 40 minutes played. If you look at per-40 minute stats, Towns averages a staggering 4.7 blocks per game. For an even better idea of his defensive talent, his block percentage of 13% is 5th in the nation.

Towns has what NBA scouts and GMs drool over: potential.

Part of why he only plays 20 minutes.

2.8 fouls per 20 minutes.

5.6 fouls per-40.
Not hating, just putting a more complete picture.

He plays 20mpg because Kentucky plays in shifts. But you're right, he is foul prone nonetheless.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:
his 2.7 blocks a game is an impressive figure and ranks him 20th in the nation. However, as part of Kentucky’s incredibly deep roster, he averages just 20.1 minutes a game, right at half of the 40 minutes played. If you look at per-40 minute stats, Towns averages a staggering 4.7 blocks per game. For an even better idea of his defensive talent, his block percentage of 13% is 5th in the nation.

5.6 fouls per-40.

He plays 20mpg because Kentucky plays in shifts. But you're right, he is foul prone nonetheless.

If he averages 5.6 fouls per game does that mean he will never foul out in his NBA career? (jk)
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

5.6 fouls per-40.

If he averages 5.6 fouls per game does that mean he will never foul out in his NBA career? (jk)

Part of it is he knows he's only going to play 20-25 minutes, so he can be more aggressive and not worry about fouls.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Towns would actually be my #1 target in the draft. Mock draft shows us getting him @ #4. Works for me. I have doubts about Okafor. The kid is surely gifted, very polished offensive player. Will probably average 18-20 + 8 rpg his first year. But the fact is, Coach K prefers him the bench on defensive switches. With Towns you won't get that.

Towns will give you an overall game. Like Melo vs Wade argument. I'd take wade.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
pio2u wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

5.6 fouls per-40.

Part of it is he knows he's only going to play 20-25 minutes, so he can be more aggressive and not worry about fouls.

Or that he hasn't learned how to play aggressive defense while still being disciplined.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
pio2u wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

5.6 fouls per-40.

Or that he hasn't learned how to play aggressive defense while still being disciplined.

Probably a little of both but knowing how to play aggressive defense will take time, practice and experience.
He's young & hungry, he'll get it; hopefully he gets it as a Laker
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike stop teasing us, just tell us who you think is the better candidate and your reasons
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Phil is watching Russell.
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:

Is he in his high chair?
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Is Stanley Johnson a Jimmy Butler clone or what?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

Stan can't shoot off the dribble, stupid bricks. Butler has one dribble pullups. Makes a few a game when he's going for 20 and looking like an offensive option
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
They have some similarities but I think Stanley ceiling is much higher. Stanley is a better 3pt shooter and Butler better from midrange, but Stanley is only 18 with a lot more time to improve. He's the 3rd option on offense but still is the leading scorer.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2376960-dangelo-russell-flying-in-rarefied-air-occupied-by-james-harden-and-steph-curry

Can you post articles on here? Oh well. Check out this Russell article the most efficient player over the past 10 years in college only comparable to Steph Curry and James Harden. Highest offensive rating for freshmen guard excuse me, and he is better than what Curry and Harden were.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject:

4OnTheFloor wrote:
Chad09 wrote:

Is he in his high chair?

Man I still hold out hope Russell will slip to us at 3 or 4 but I am doubting it. I bet he goes 1 or 2. Still feel like in the end he will be the real deal of this draft. Western conference scouts says no player in college can create on his own like Russell.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

Between Butler and the motor of Gerald Wallace.

Keep in mind, Jimmy Butler is a self-made 2nd round pick.

That's why I don't think highly of Stanley. Turnover prone, no shot creating ability. Forces up garbage shots on straight line drives if he's met with contact.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
Mike stop teasing us, just tell us who you think is the better candidate and your reasons

I know my top 3, even if I still have question marks about Russell.

It's 4-6 I'm figuring.

Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Yong wrote:

I know my top 3, even if I still have question marks about Russell.

It's 4-6 I'm figuring.

I have seen people question his ball handling skills, people forget Curry had 14 turnovers his first game as a freshman. The most Russell has posted this season is 7. Not to mention his usage rating is a full point higher than what curry's was. Meaning obviously Russell handles the rock a lot.

Start Russ at point next year with Clarkson coming off the bench and that will be murder for defenses to stop. No player in college basketball can shake his man off the dribble and hit the mid range jumper consistently more than Russell...

I was liking Towns, but the man is a fouling machine and I don't care what no one says WCS is a pretty good player.

Honestly I don't know if Russell is the best "fit" for this team? I just think he is the best player, mentally and skill wise, his IQ and court vision alone.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject:

In the article linked above, they had an anecdote about Russell being able to deal with pressure as a ball handler:

Quote:
Russell didn't know it then, but he was going up against a full-court-pressing defense that is now forcing turnovers at a higher rate than any defense has in years. Before tipoff in the secret preseason scrimmage, Russell's old high school teammate and starting center for West Virginia, Devin Williams, approached the freshman guard and delivered a message.

We're coming after you.

Russell was about to deliver his own message.

You can't stop me.

"Oh my god," Russell says months later. "That was a welcome-to-college experience. I felt like I got beat up every possession."

Only it was the Mountaineers who suffered.

Russell carved up their pressure. The 6'5" guard dribbled through double-teams, nailed threes and delivered pinpoint passes to his teammates. He dropped 33 points, had four assists and four steals, and the Buckeyes won.

"He never got sped up," Ohio State assistant coach Jeff Boals told Bleacher Report. "From that point on, you knew he was going to be able to handle pressure. To see the poise he had as a freshman playing against his first Division I opponent was pretty impressive."
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
In the article linked above, they had an anecdote about Russell being able to deal with pressure as a ball handler:

Quote:
Russell didn't know it then, but he was going up against a full-court-pressing defense that is now forcing turnovers at a higher rate than any defense has in years. Before tipoff in the secret preseason scrimmage, Russell's old high school teammate and starting center for West Virginia, Devin Williams, approached the freshman guard and delivered a message.

We're coming after you.

You can't stop me.

"Oh my god," Russell says months later. "That was a welcome-to-college experience. I felt like I got beat up every possession."

Russell carved up their pressure. The 6'5" guard dribbled through double-teams, nailed threes and delivered pinpoint passes to his teammates. He dropped 33 points, had four assists and four steals, and the Buckeyes won.

"He never got sped up," Ohio State assistant coach Jeff Boals told Bleacher Report. "From that point on, you knew he was going to be able to handle pressure. To see the poise he had as a freshman playing against his first Division I opponent was pretty impressive."

He is a true freshmen being used at a ridiculously high usage rate, and his efficiency is the best in a decade by a freshmen guard as stated in the article. I have seen people who never watched him play compare him to Jordan Crawford. I would say his numbers line up more to Penny Hardaway, only Hardaway was used even more at Memphis only less efficiently.

You can tell the kid has that gift whatever it is, it's like the game slows down for him and he's playing in slow motion. He is the modern day prototypical "shooting guard" he reeks of efficiency. His game is patented after Curry, but he has Harden ball handling skills (Curry's are better) and facilitating mentality. Only he sees the floor better than Harden. Look he is going to have hiccups, especially at that usage rate, but the kids going to be a star. We need another combo guard, and especially with Kobe's over and under at 30 games or so, we need the depth.

Would much rather give the keys to the castle to this kid than Towns. Russell is an alpha dog, Towns is not. Right now it is what it is, Towns could develop alpha dog mentality, but right now he's not. I'm all for analytics, but if it looks like a dog, and barks like a dog?

Not to mention, analytically Russell is the pick.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Quote:

We're coming after you.

You can't stop me.

He is a true freshmen being used at a ridiculously high usage rate, and his efficiency is the best in a decade by a freshmen guard as stated in the article. I have seen people who never watched him play compare him to Jordan Crawford. I would say his numbers line up more to Penny Hardaway, only Hardaway was used even more at Memphis only less efficiently.

You can tell the kid has that gift whatever it is, it's like the game slows down for him and he's playing in slow motion. He is the modern day prototypical "shooting guard" he reeks of efficiency. His game is patented after Curry, but he has Harden ball handling skills (Curry's are better) and facilitating mentality. Only he sees the floor better than Harden. Look he is going to have hiccups, especially at that usage rate, but the kids going to be a star. We need another combo guard, and especially with Kobe's over and under at 30 games or so, we need the depth.

Would much rather give the keys to the castle to this kid than Towns. Russell is an alpha dog, Towns is not. Right now it is what it is, Towns could develop alpha dog mentality, but right now he's not. I'm all for analytics, but if it looks like a dog, and barks like a dog?

i agree on the importance to possess the alpha dog mentality
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Quote:

We're coming after you.

You can't stop me.

Towns play in the clutch would suggest otherwise.

No need to tear down one to prop up another. Both are top picks and I'd be ecstatic with either one.

Towns and Russell both have alpha potential. Along with Randle and Clarkson. If we keep our pick we will have at least 3 very promising rookies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Quote:

We're coming after you.

You can't stop me.

Russells ability to play on the ball as either play maker or scorer and ALSO off the the ball and a shooter is a very good fit next to Julius and JC.
Like you said, the kid is a star in the making. I easily see him in the category of Western All Stars with Curry, Harden, Thompson, Westbrook, CP3, etc. If we could nab Russell, I'd be absolutely ecstatic.

Going forward, he's also a very attractive piece when guys like Durant and Westbrook become available given his offensive versatility.

Jordan
Randle
Hollis-Jefferson
Clarkson
Russell

I like that core going into FA 2016
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject:

Even with a measly two game win streak the Lakers will still fall below Minny when the dust settles at season's end.
The Timberwolves are playing good ball with 25 or 26 games to go. If they continue to properly use the talent they have I expect them to win at least 10 more games.
We definitely won't win 6 or 7 more games.
I believe that we will finish with the 3rd worst record and end up with a very good young prospect.
We will have a solid core to work with and by '16 & '17 the team will have bonded together.
We will be back & we will have the capital to acquire even more top-notch free agents by then.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Even with a measly two game win streak the Lakers will still fall below Minny when the dust settles at season's end.
The Timberwolves are playing good ball with 25 or 26 games to go. If they continue to properly use the talent they have I expect them to win at least 10 more games.
I believe that we will finish with the 3rd worst record and end up with a very good young prospect.
We will have a solid core to work with and by '16 & '17 the team will have bonded together.
We will be back & we will have the capital to acquire even more top-notch free agents by then.

well in order for us to truly solidify the tank, we're gonna need you to stop making game threads, cuz according to the chart you are an abysmal 5-2 in game threads and we can't have those damaging victories
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
pio2u wrote:

well in order for us to truly solidify the tank, we're gonna need you to stop making game threads, cuz according to the chart you are an abysmal 5-2 in game threads and we can't have those damaging victories

I'm officially out of the thread business until after we secure the pick!!

(I'm serious)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next
Page 26 of 1691
Jump to: