***OFFICIAL LAKERS 2015 NBA DRAFT THREAD*** (No. 2 Russell, No. 27 Nance, No. 34 Brown: p.1661 - Upshaw signed for SL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
Inverse wrote:
People are underrating this draft big time...

I think the problem with this draft is there is a lot more potentially great players.. In the same token most of the top players could be bust in the terms of them being stars. There is no John Wall, or Andrew Wiggins, or Anthony Davis, guys you know are going to be good.

I would say Russell is most likely to succeed right away. His leadership and lack of talent around him at Ohio State has showcased his game well. His main flaw is lack of elite athleticism.

Okafor is going to be able to score pretty decent, probably shoot around 50% his rookie year, but he is a terrible ft shooter and his defense is a big question mark. Much bigger question mark than Russell imo.

Towns to me is very hard to gauge, mainly because the play of WCS. His numbers are not that impressive even when you look at it from a per 40 perspective. I would say Towns has the second most potential, but I do think it takes him longer to develop then anyone else on this list, possibly 5 years? Go back and watch the Louisville game, I thought Towns struggled mightily against smaller athletic defenders.

Mudiay to me has the most potential out of any of these players, but I do think it will take some time atleast two years, just so you are able to guage his work ethic. Freak athlete though.

Now we are overrating.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:

I played NBA2k the other night and when I drafted George Lucas was still up around 25. I know NBA 2k has horrible draft logic but you think it's possible the Lakers can snag him?

1st pick: Okafor
2nd: George Lucas

GL is a pretty athletic guy and he can have time to develop behind Clarkson and Dragic(dream)

Just stock up on some young athletes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
I think there's more john wall than michael carter williams in mudiay.

Minus the John Wall speed.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
I played NBA2k the other night and when I drafted George Lucas was still up around 25. I know NBA 2k has horrible draft logic but you think it's possible the Lakers can snag him?

GL is a pretty athletic guy and he can have time to develop behind Clarkson and Dragic(dream)

Maybe we can push circle, triangle, R2 and get the #1 pick?
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

Maybe we can push circle, triangle, R2 and get the #1 pick?

Wrong combination. It's actually X circle triangle square but I like the thinking.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

On a serious note, what do you guys think of George Lucas? The basketball player that is.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
On a serious note, what do you guys think of George Lucas? The basketball player that is.

I watched the DX video tapes. looks pretty raw. Seems like a strongly built PG who isn't explosively quick but finds a way to the rim.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
pio2u wrote:
SemperMalum wrote:
If he's available with the Houston pick, I'd say do it. He's a great scorer, could easily be a 6th man off the bench stretch 5.

Unfortunately Kaminsky will be long gone by the time the Houston pick comes around.

Hope Clarkson drops multiple 20+ point games with 50+ FG%.
If so, trade him for the difference (Clarkson + Houston pick for lower lotto pick).

If Clarkson is doing that why would you want to trade a more established player for a possible project one (while also giving up another pick)? Clarkson is house money and the fact he's potentially locked into a cheap deal for the next few years is a plus.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

I watched the DX video tapes. looks pretty raw. Seems like a strongly built PG who isn't explosively quick but finds a way to the rim.

Yeah but I see there is talent there. His biggest problem seems to be lack of experience. He isn't the most explosive athlete but uses what he has very well.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

Yeah but I see there is talent there. His biggest problem seems to be lack of experience. He isn't the most explosive athlete but uses what he has very well.

Which is fine if you have the time and patience to develop him. Not sure the Lakers and Jim Buss have that luxury at this moment. He'd be an interesting 2nd round stash pick though.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

Which is fine if you have the time and patience to develop him. Not sure the Lakers and Jim Buss have that luxury at this moment. He'd be an interesting 2nd round stash pick though.

I know Lakers are trying their hardest to get back to the top of the mountain but if they do keep their lottery pick I wouldn't mind them taking him with Houston's pick if available....unless I am completely overrating his draft stock. Then if we make nice moves in free agency he's a nice player building as Lakers make their rise to the top.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

I know Lakers are trying their hardest to get back to the top of the mountain but if they do keep their lottery pick I wouldn't mind them taking him with Houston's pick if available....unless I am completely overrating his draft stock. Then if we make nice moves in free agency he's a nice player building as Lakers make their rise to the top.

I think Clarkson, with 1 year's NBA experience is likely the better player than a late lottery pick. Plus, I trust Lakers getting a rotation player with the Houston pick too. So unless one of our top guys that we had on the board earlier is inexplicably around (which should raise red flags), maybe. But I think they're high on Clarkson.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject:

If we get all our picks - and the intent is for them to make the roster, there'll be 4 rookies. Add to that mix Black Sacre Kelly Randle Clarkson. Only keepers are Clarkson, Randle and maybe black.

I see the Lakers punting on the second rounders, maybe draft an overseas guy. I don't see Sacre, Kelly being back - possible filler in trades. They tried to inflate Sacre's and Kelly's values with playing opportunity but so far it's backfired. Moving them would create development opportunities for our rookies.

You can't pretend to be a Western playoff team with an imbalance of young guys/vets and a broken down Kobe.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
If we get all our picks - and the intent is for them to make the roster, there'll be 4 rookies. Add to that mix Black Sacre Kelly Randle Clarkson. Only keepers are Clarkson, Randle and maybe black.

I see the Lakers punting on the second rounders, maybe draft an overseas guy. I don't see Sacre, Kelly being back - possible filler in trades. They tried to inflate Sacre's and Kelly's values with playing opportunity but so far it's backfired. Moving them would create development opportunities for our rookies.

You can't pretend to be a Western playoff team with an imbalance of young guys/vets and a broken down Kobe.

Yeah.

I see us keeping the top 5 pick, Houston, and using the 2nd rounders as stash picks.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

not sure what you're talking about.
he's extremely fast, athletic and quick.

wall maybe the fastest out there, and mudiay's much stronger than wall at his age.

so ?

very reminiscent of him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

wall maybe the fastest out there, and mudiay's much stronger than wall at his age.

so ?

very reminiscent of him.

I don't see the same end-to-end speed.

I agree that Mudiay's much stronger and has a bigger frame. He plays bully ball much more, but then again look at his competition.

He's a great mystery and once he comes stateside I'm sure there will be better examination of him and his game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think Clarkson, with 1 year's NBA experience is likely the better player than a late lottery pick. Plus, I trust Lakers getting a rotation player with the Houston pick too. So unless one of our top guys that we had on the board earlier is inexplicably around (which should raise red flags), maybe. But I think they're high on Clarkson.

Clarkson and Lucas (assuming he develops) would be a tough guard rotation to score on.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

so ?

very reminiscent of him.

I agree that Mudiay's much stronger and has a bigger frame. He plays bully ball much more, but then again look at his competition.

He's a great mystery and once he comes stateside I'm sure there will be better examination of him and his game.

yeah, maybe he's John Wall by CBA standards, but wall was faster when he was the same age. If Mudiay is that fast he doesn't use it in the games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
pio2u wrote:
SemperMalum wrote:
If he's available with the Houston pick, I'd say do it. He's a great scorer, could easily be a 6th man off the bench stretch 5.

Unfortunately Kaminsky will be long gone by the time the Houston pick comes around.

If so, trade him for the difference (Clarkson + Houston pick for lower lotto pick).

this is a weird way of thinking, which makes me happy you are not the lakers gm. you don't trade a player that proves he has potential to make an impact for their team, for a player that you are not sure of. you trade a player that don't fit in the future plans.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

so ?

very reminiscent of him.

yeah, maybe he's John Wall by CBA standards, but wall was faster when he was the same age. If Mudiay is that fast he doesn't use it in the games.

if you're talking bully ball, he's probably having to bully guys that on the average are much stronger than you'll find in ncaa competition.

bottom line, this guy is a super athletic pg though not a high flyer, who pushes the ball and is a very willing passer, with post up ability, solid D, weak jump shot.
you will end up getting the same type of game you currently get from wall.

hopefully, both of them can develope a dependable jumper and that would really be scary.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

so ?

very reminiscent of him.

if you're talking bully ball, he's probably having to bully guys that on the average are much stronger than you'll find in ncaa competition.

bottom line, this guy is a super athletic pg though not a high flyer, who pushes the ball and is a very willing passer, with post up ability, solid D, weak jump shot.

hopefully, both of them can develope a dependable jumper and that would really be scary.

I agree about playing against "grown men," but the competition/coaching at the CBA can't be as good as top NCAA teams. I wonder how Mudiay would have fared against a strong NCAA defensive zone that would be geared towards letting him shoot for example.

He runs circles against grown Chinese men who simply don't have the baseline athleticism to play against him. He may be uber athletic, but until I see him against better talent than the CBA, I'm on the undecided but skeptical camp.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:

In terms of competition, the NCAA is much more tougher and disciplined than the CBA. The coaching is also a heck of a lot better. The CBA is great if you like watching a league where just about no defense is played.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

so ?

very reminiscent of him.

I agree about playing against "grown men," but the competition/coaching at the CBA can't be as good as top NCAA teams. I wonder how Mudiay would have fared against a strong NCAA defensive zone that would be geared towards letting him shoot for example.

He runs circles against grown Chinese men who simply don't have the baseline athleticism to play against him. He may be uber athletic, but until I see him against better talent than the CBA, I'm on the undecided but skeptical camp.

well, I was talking about physical skills.

how much do those matter compared to overall level of basketball/coaching/talent, etc ?
that's the million dollar question...
one definitely offsets the other to some extent, but to what extent ?...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I don't doubt Mudiay has physical skills. But when comparing him to Wall, is it modern day Wall or when he was in college?

I'm just curious about how he adapts to the NBA with a terrible jumper. Things we will see if we have a top 5 pick and work him out. I'm def not writing him off, just waiting to see him up close.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
pio2u wrote:
SemperMalum wrote:

If Clarkson is doing that why would you want to trade a more established player for a possible project one (while also giving up another pick)? Clarkson is house money and the fact he's potentially locked into a cheap deal for the next few years is a plus.

Gotta give an asset to receive an asset.

We need a PG. And we need a center with height, bball iq, and floor spacing ability to complement Randle's slashing (kaminsky).

I'd rather cash in on Clarkson as an asset.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next
Page 36 of 1691
Jump to: